UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ShockaKlan said:
1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
5. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
6. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
7. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
8. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U
9. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
10. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI
11. redorkulated- From OC, 99% sure
12. mdung--San DiegO! Undergraduate @ UCSD!~
13. nycballet - undergrad at Yale ('04)
14. Danny aka Wookey - The OC, undergrad at UCI
15. Jess aka blueray83 - From Nor Cal, undergrad at Cal Poly, SLO
16. Emily (prana_md) - Oakland, ug @ Davis, post-bac @ Mills
17. Keith (Jarshaq32) - Burbank, undergrad @ Pepperdine
18. Amanda (the_chister) - Taiwan/Vancouver/Piedmont, undergrad at Princeton
19. chipan14 - Hawaii, undergrad UCLA
20. Iulia (brassai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad UCLA
21. Chris (shockaklan) - From Sun Daygo, undergrad UCSD
22. Amy (Snarfblatt) - San Francisco, undergrad U of AZ, grad UCSF

Hi guys! Thought I'd finally introduce myself, as I no longer need to remain incognito on the kitty smuggling issue into Weyburn. I've found a place in an apt complex on campus that allows pets. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all. Does anyone know when/if we have any ceremonies planned that first week of orientation? (need to know to give notice to s/o and family)

Members don't see this ad.

Snarfblatt said:
Hi guys! Thought I'd finally introduce myself, as I no longer need to remain incognito on the kitty smuggling issue into Weyburn. I've found a place in an apt complex on campus that allows pets. Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all. Does anyone know when/if we have any ceremonies planned that first week of orientation? (need to know to give notice to s/o and family)
If the schedule goes like last year, then the white coat ceremony and family orientation are on the Saturday at the end of our orientation week...so August 12.

Bluntman said:
If the schedule goes like last year, then the white coat ceremony and family orientation are on the Saturday at the end of our orientation week...so August 12.

Awesome! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Bluntman said:

The schedule I got from Drew has the UCLA whitecoat ceremony on August 11, although I wouldn't take this as gospel truth.

Bluntman said:

I'm 99% sure it was on a Friday, actually. But not 100%. :p

UCLAstudent said:
I'm 99% sure it was on a Friday, actually. But not 100%. :p
Oh damn! Thanks for the heads up...gotta figure this out to see if I need to change plans! :(

Bluntman said:
Oh damn! Thanks for the heads up...gotta figure this out to see if I need to change plans! :(

Make sure, though! I could be wrong.

UCLAstudent said:
Make sure, though! I could be wrong.

I think I saw somewhere earlier in the thread that the White Coat Ceremony was Friday August 11th @ 3pm. Do you guys know how many family members and friends we are allowed to invite?

1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
5. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
6. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
7. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
8. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U
9. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
10. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI
11. redorkulated- From OC, 99% sure
12. mdung--San DiegO! Undergraduate @ UCSD!~
13. nycballet - undergrad at Yale ('04)
14. Danny aka Wookey - The OC, undergrad at UCI
15. Jess aka blueray83 - From Nor Cal, undergrad at Cal Poly, SLO
16. Emily (prana_md) - Oakland, ug @ Davis, post-bac @ Mills
17. Keith (Jarshaq32) - Burbank, undergrad @ Pepperdine
18. Amanda (the_chister) - Taiwan/Vancouver/Piedmont, undergrad at Princeton
19. chipan14 - Hawaii, undergrad UCLA
20. Iulia (brassai) - San Jose, CA, undergrad UCLA
21. Chris (shockaklan) - From Sun Daygo, undergrad UCSD
22. Amy (Snarfblatt) - San Francisco, undergrad U of AZ, grad UCSF
23. Steven (StevenRF) - Torrance, undergrad USC

It's crazy how many of our classmates use SDN.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but exams for M1s don't end until June 6 while the Weyburn Housing contract requires that you move out by May 31. Can you request to extend your stay at Weyburn for one week, and if so how?

DoctorDolittle said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but exams for M1s don't end until June 6 while the Weyburn Housing contract requires that you move out by May 31. Can you request to extend your stay at Weyburn for one week, and if so how?
Yea. They said it's not a big deal to do, and requests are generally approved. You don't have to do this until next spring tho, so there's nothing to worry about right now. :thumbup:

I just got my Weyburn housing assignment:

Room 059 in Palm Court

I'm moving up there on July 1st (wtf that's in 9 days!!!)...anyone in town and want to meet up on that Saturday night for some drinks? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Bluntman said:

Room 059 in Palm Court

I'm moving up there on July 1st (wtf that's in 9 days!!!)...anyone in town and want to meet up on that Saturday night for some drinks? :)

Just got mine too...
118 cyprus court

i and drinks will be there the 15th. toast.

July 15th right here as well.

It's party time. We should all hit up the beanery.

StevenRF said:
July 15th right here as well.

It's party time. We should all hit up the beanery.

Wow, it's exciting that people are starting to get their assignments! Hopefully mine will come soon. I'm at UCLA all time so I'm down to hang out anytime!

That's good news! Time to start shopping for furniture :)
Did they notify housing assignments by email?
btw, anyone got word from Finaid about a package yet?

rosiemary said:
Wow, it's exciting that people are starting to get their assignments! Hopefully mine will come soon. I'm at UCLA all time so I'm down to hang out anytime!
Yaay! :D

Wookey said:
That's good news! Time to start shopping for furniture :)
Did they notify housing assignments by email?
btw, anyone got word from Finaid about a package yet?
You get an email and it also updates on your housing account info page.

Bluntman said:

Room 059 in Palm Court

I'm down!

Can't wait for my room assignment!

Wookey said:
anyone got word from Finaid about a package yet?

Still waiting for my FAN here, anybody get theirs yet?

Still waiting for financial aid as well.

I just got back from LA on a house-hunting trip. I checked out Weyburn Terrace, which looks cool, but too small for pets or visiting boyfriends. (You'll let me visit right? Can I crash on your sofa when I've had too many margaritas?) So I'm hopefully going to live in West LA, and take the Big Blue Bus to school. I looked at some cute places off of Santa Monica Blvd ... just waiting to hear back from landlords. I'm sunburned and happy ... and totally psyched to get started! :hardy:

Hi guys,

Did you get the app for Bruin basketball/football tickets? If you apply you get entered in a lottery for tickets. I always wanted to go to a UCLA basketball game. Next year, we'll be one of the favorites to win it all :) . Anyone else thinking of going?

Wookey said:
Hi guys,

Did you get the app for Bruin basketball/football tickets? If you apply you get entered in a lottery for tickets. I always wanted to go to a UCLA basketball game. Next year, we'll be one of the favorites to win it all :) . Anyone else thinking of going?

I'm definitely up for it! When did you get the app? I'm actually planning to walk onto the basketball team, to help them win it all. It's just my next step on my path to play alongside Kobe and help the Lakers win another title. I'll probably continue this whole medschool/doctor thing on the side :cool:

Also, not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but there's an Entering Student Checklist available for us. You can access it through the Application Status website that I know we've all visited, oh, only about 2 or 3 million times.

doc_doc_goose! said:
I'm definitely up for it! When did you get the app? I'm actually planning to walk onto the basketball team, to help them win it all. It's just my next step on my path to play alongside Kobe and help the Lakers win another title. I'll probably continue this whole medschool/doctor thing on the side :cool:

Also, not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but there's an Entering Student Checklist available for us. You can access it through the Application Status website that I know we've all visited, oh, only about 2 or 3 million times.

thanks for the checklist info ... stuff like this keeps me sane. I can't wait to see live basketball! is that on the checklist?!?

EDIT: rats. I can't access it because I'm Drew, and technically, DGSOM rejected me in February :laugh: what's on it? anything I gotta do yesterday?

doc_doc_goose! said:

I just got the app today. You can be the player/team doc for the Lakers! lol do you play IM ball?

prana_md said:
thanks for the checklist info ... stuff like this keeps me sane. I can't wait to see live basketball! is that on the checklist?!?

EDIT: rats. I can't access it because I'm Drew, and technically, DGSOM rejected me in February :laugh: what's on it? anything I gotta do yesterday?

This is what I have for the checklist. I'm not sure what's the same for Drew. But there's a Drew Checklist button on the accepted page you can try.

White Coat Ceremony Information (SAO) - form due 7/14/2006
Family Orientation (SAO) - form due 7/28/2006
BruinCard Terms & Conditions and Photo (SAO) - form due 7/7/2006
Bruin OnLine Account (SIS) - online registration
Registration Forms/URSA (ADM) - most of us did this right after acceptance
Health Clearance Form (SHS) - 8/4/2006
Final Transcript (ADM) - Please have your Final Transcript mailed to the Admissions Office
Access to computer, printer, and internet by 8/7/2006

Awesome find goose. I wish they would email us on new stuff like this. I got over my obsession of checking the admin status every 5 min a while ago. Some homework for tomorrow, along with finishing my financial aid info. Anyone else slacking on that? I hope I'm not alone. :scared:

Hey future DGSOM Class of 2010, by any chance is anyone planning on deferring for a year, or perhaps waitlisted at a school they would prefer? If so, is anyone planning on letting the admissions office know this week? I know this is a rather desperate and sad post, but alas, it is the final attempts of a waitlisted candidate trying to go to their dream school.

I wish I could have been part of your class, but if it doesn't work out by next week, then I wish you all good luck and congratulations.

If you've been given an acceptance somewhere, will they let you reapply? I thought you had to check that box. Besides, would UCLa be cool with letting you defer just to reapply somewhere else?

Good luck anyways

doc_doc_goose! said:
Aww I can't access it for some reason...all I see is the regular old status page. Probably cause I'm MSTP I'm guessing. :confused:

Bluntman said:
Aww I can't access it for some reason...all I see is the regular old status page. Probably cause I'm MSTP I'm guessing. :confused:

Hmm... I get the checklist from both the prospective and accepted page.

Try it from here
Glad I'm not the only one who's confused :)

prana_md said:
Try it from here
Glad I'm not the only one who's confused :)
Nope. :( But on a positive note, I bought the Blue and Gold Season Ticket package today!!! Who's in???

Bluntman said:
Nope. :( But on a positive note, I bought the Blue and Gold Season Ticket package today!!! Who's in???

Can you either post or PM the website on which we can buy these tickets? I won't be able to access my mailbox for a while. Thanks.

doc_doc_goose! said:
Can you either post or PM the website on which we can buy these tickets? I won't be able to access my mailbox for a while. Thanks.
Sure thing! You want The Den Season Ticket Package. Football tix are guaranteed, but basketball tix are assigned through a lottery. If you apply for a basketball package and don't get picked, then you'll get refunded back down to the price of only the football tix....so go for the Blue and Gold Package! ;)

Bluntman said:

I'm just getting the Gold package. It's 4 less games. I need to study, lol. See you at the games!

Go Bruins! :thumbup:

Bluntman said:
Sure thing! You want The Den Season Ticket Package. Football tix are guaranteed, but basketball tix are assigned through a lottery. If you apply for a basketball package and don't get picked, then you'll get refunded back down to the price of only the football tix....so go for the Blue and Gold Package! ;)

Thanks man.. I got the Blue & Gold :cool:

doc_doc_goose! said:
Thanks man.. I got the Blue & Gold :cool:
Hell yea guys...I'm stoked we're all getting tickets, and I'm sure it'll make for some very interesting study breaks! Is it bad that atheltics are actually the thing I'm most excited for about starting at UCLA? :oops:;) Coming from a school like UCSD, with zero school spirit and barely any athletics, it'll be great to finally be at a place where people have pride in their school and sports teams!

Bluntman said:
Is it bad that atheltics are actually the thing I'm most excited for about starting at UCLA? :oops:;) Coming from a school like UCSD, with zero school spirit and barely any athletics, it'll be great to finally be at a place where people have pride in their school and sports teams!

Heh, nah. At UCI we had no sports either. It was pretty lame but I had basketball on my mind when I went interviewing at Duke, UCLA, and Cincinatti. The only thing I knew about U of Cincinatti was that it was where ex-Laker Nick Van Exel balled in college. Also at Duke, the free floor seats for med students were a big seller for me :laugh:

btw, the Lakers drafted Farmar. I was hoping he'd stay another year, but Farmar being in Laker gear is the next best thing :thumbup:

Got an email saying the med bookstore is having 20% off everything. Is it possible to get the booklist and financial aid now to get in on the deal? The sale expires on the 14th or 15th so I doubt it, but here's to hoping.

StevenRF said:
Got an email saying the med bookstore is having 20% off everything. Is it possible to get the booklist and financial aid now to get in on the deal? The sale expires on the 14th or 15th so I doubt it, but here's to hoping.

That sale happens a few times each year. I'm not sure how many textbooks have changed from last year, but here are some that I recall off the top of my head:

*Robbins: Pathological Basis of Disease (huge, pale turquoise book)
*Genetics in Medicine (by Thompson & Thompson --- red book, paperback)
*Katzung's Pharmacology (paperback, a board review book)
*Gray's Anatomy for Students

I am fairly certain (but not 100%) that the above books will be used for your class. There are some other books that you'll need, but I'm not sure if they'll be the same as last year. There are a lot of books --- but the good thing is that many of them will be used throughout the entire year, so you won't have to spend as much money in subsequent blocks.

The problem is that the store probably doesn't have these in stock for the class of 2010, yet. So, if you want to get them, you might need to look in the area with all of the "regular" medical books, rather than the student books (the student books are on the far left of the store after you walk in). There also might be books on tables outside of the store during the sale --- I've definitely seen textbooks on those tables before.

StevenRF said:

Hey guys. At the end of the first paragraph of that email, it says, "Textbooks and test/review titles are excluded." I overlooked this at first, too, and someone had to point it out to me. Sucks :(

On the brightside, stethoscopes are on sale. Do we need this first year?

UCLAstudent said:
I am fairly certain (but not 100%) that the above books will be used for your class. There are some other books that you'll need, but I'm not sure if they'll be the same as last year. There are a lot of books --- but the good thing is that many of them will be used throughout the entire year, so you won't have to spend as much money in subsequent blocks.

From what I gathered from friends who are currently in med school they dont even bother buying many of the books b/c there simply isnt enough time to crack them open. What are your thoughts on this UCLAstudent? What books do you think are an absolute must?

I was also wondering what kind of stethoscope M1s would need, if at all.

Thanks!

Wookey said:
On the brightside, stethoscopes are on sale. Do we need this first year?

Definitely. You will need to buy a ton of gear --- blood pressure cuff, two tuning forks, reflex hammer, stethoscope, oto-opthalmoscope, and other stuff. However, you should wait --- the school will give first-year med students a pretty good discount on medical equipment during the first two weeks.

DoctorDolittle said:
From what I gathered from friends who are currently in med school they dont even bother buying many of the books b/c there simply isnt enough time to crack them open. What are your thoughts on this UCLAstudent? What books do you think are an absolute must?

I was also wondering what kind of stethoscope M1s would need, if at all.

Thanks!

Hey DoctorDolittle,

It's true that you won't need some of the books. There's simply not enough time to do all the assigned reading. Most people start out with good intentions regarding the reading, but it quickly builds up. Some books are extremely useful. For example, the physiology book by Costanzo (which you will get in block 2) is very clear and concise --- it is helpful when there's a sub-par lecturer. On the other hand, the school "requires" two anatomy books (Clemente and Gray's Anatomy), both of which I bought. I never opened the Clemente book. I opened Gray's maybe 5 times during the entire year. You'd be better off getting Gray's than Clemente --- really, is there a need for 2 anatomy books? Plus, the school provides VERY complete/thorough anatomy materials in the form of PowerPoint and Flash files, and that's all you really need. Genetics in Medicine is a good book to have because it's used throughout the entire year --- and this is the direction in which medicine is heading. The Robbins book is huge and expensive. I can't say that I used it all that much, but I believe it will become more important when you're an MSII (since the emphasis is on pathophysiology). People (both at UCLA and other schools) seem to swear by it. I've heard that many of the histology slides used on Step 1 come from Robbins. Katzung's Pharmacology is a board review book, so it's fairly condensed. The two pharm instructors, Dr. Melega (all blocks) and Dr. Pechnick (Block 5), provide great notes. I did use this book, but you'll probably be fine without it.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm not at my apartment right now, so I can't see what books I have. Let me know if you have more questions!

Edit: forgot to answer about stethoscopes. Most people in my class got the Littmann Cardiology III. It's sensitive (hence, cardiologists use it) and it easily switches between bell/diaphragm. I think it was $176 at the UCLA store before the first-year med student discount. (Sounds like a lot, but this was an intermediate price at the UCLA store. You don't want to go with a cheapie --- you get what you pay for.) Anyway, you'll hear all about this during orientation week.

Thanks for the helpful tips UCLAStudent. Anyone living at Weyburn applied for parking yet? I'm still debating whether to pay the $70/month for parking plus car insurance when I probably won't use my car much. Anyway, the parking application at the parking and transportation site doesn't have any selection for Weyburn parking and doesn't even have SOM listed for graduate school selection :confused: How would you go about applying for Weyburn parking?

Wookey said:
Thanks for the helpful tips UCLAStudent. Anyone living at Weyburn applied for parking yet? I'm still debating whether to pay the $70/month for parking plus car insurance when I probably won't use my car much. Anyway, the parking application at the parking and transportation site doesn't have any selection for Weyburn parking and doesn't even have SOM listed for graduate school selection :confused: How would you go about applying for Weyburn parking?

When I called the Weyburn Terrace Office, they told me that parking applications would be distributed on move-in day. To me that seemed a little strange seeing that I would need a place to park my car the day I got there and couldnt exactly wait for the app to be processed etc. I ultimately decided not to bring my car, so I didnt follow up on the issue but I think your best bet would be to call Weyburn directly. Hope that helps!

Ok I just got a response from UCLA (8 weeks after my interview). It says that I have been placed on HOLD which is a 2nd tier unranked waiting list. It told me to write in saying I accept this position and continue to update my file. It also said that decisions on this list wont be made until later in July

Does anyone know what that means about my chances? It could mean that I am in if I wait long enough, or it could mean that I have no chance in hell, I have no idea!

Thanks for your help!