UCLA Honors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bruinkid

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about Latin Honors upon graduation. Does anyone know what percent get Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude? Is it the top 5% for Summa and 10% for Magna? I guess I'll call the honors office, but please post if you guys know!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get any Latin honors graduating from UCLA but still got into medical school. God bless America where the system allows for some people who screwed up in undergrad to still fulfill their dreams!

magna cum laude is 3.884
summa cum laude is 3.736
cum laude is 3.588

your gpa from winter quarter counts...so spring quarter is not included! :D

are you going to the college honors ceremony as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
watchamacallit: i'll be at the college honors reception. although, i wonder if i'll get to have the star by my name and any special "clothing"(do we have to pay a deposit for that like for the dumb gold coil crap?)...i had a big fiasco with the whole my.ucla mediation of everything graduation...

now here's the BIG question: do you know anything about deptl honors, as in when does your gpa stop counting, and do we have to wear a something for that too?

dear lord...so much work before graduation it seems like it's at least 2 months away...and yet i have no tickets. ARGH! how did i manage to get honors in the first place??

spring quarter does not count for the ceremonies.
spring quarter DOES count for what ultimately gets put on your diploma.
(dang it)

The departmental honors varies by department. I think for my major it's 3.7 or so and a good thesis.

Anyone know where we get the cords for latin honors? They didn't have them where we pick up the cap and gown, so I don't know where else to go.

Hey Everyone,
For those of you who wanted to know, Summa Cum Laude is for the top 5%, Magna Cum Laude is for the top 10%, and Cum Laude is for the top 20%. I hope this helps for those of you who are putting it on AMCAS! Also, for the college of letters and sciences, those that made the Provost's List, the requirement was 3.75 for 12 units and 3.66 for 16 units.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Provost's list until I had my transcript audited a couple weeks ago. That probably would have been nice for my AMCAS app :rolleyes: .

anyone graduating from ucla this year receive phi beta kappa? i stil haven't received an invitation and i meet all of the requirements.

bruinkid--

hey can you tell me more about phi beta kappa? I got an invitation a few days ago but it was the first time i heard about it.
Is the cords just given out from the honors office?
I think latin honors is just based on GPA not % of the graduating class although the actual number of students may very well be close to 5%, 10% etc.
please let me know!
meizy

i suggest doing a search for phi beta kappa.
i just paid my fees today because some guy said that during his financial aid evaluation to med school, the counselor saw that he was phi beta kappa and noted that this made him eligible for a few scholarships/grants.
there are people who are for and against it, i say, it's $25 ($50 if you have no financial need). if it's going to get me money later, then woo-hoo.

this is one of the threads debating honors societies: <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005566" target="_blank">Phi Beta Kappa - Is it worth joining? </a>

congrats on your achievement! :clap:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by strangeattractor:
•watchamacallit: i'll be at the college honors reception. although, i wonder if i'll get to have the star by my name and any special "clothing"(do we have to pay a deposit for that like for the dumb gold coil crap?)...i had a big fiasco with the whole my.ucla mediation of everything graduation...

now here's the BIG question: do you know anything about deptl honors, as in when does your gpa stop counting, and do we have to wear a something for that too?

dear lord...so much work before graduation it seems like it's at least 2 months away...and yet i have no tickets. ARGH! how did i manage to get honors in the first place??•••••ARRGGGGGGGH, i just found out my commencement tickets were voided!!!! argh, because I didn't pick it up....

about departmental honors and college honors...as soon as I go home I will post it to you )

congrats....I don't think we pay for it....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pocwana:
•spring quarter does not count for the ceremonies.
spring quarter DOES count for what ultimately gets put on your diploma.
(dang it)•••••argh, I second that....good to know other pple aer going through the same ****....

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by bruinkid:
•Hey Everyone,
For those of you who wanted to know, Summa Cum Laude is for the top 5%, Magna Cum Laude is for the top 10%, and Cum Laude is for the top 20%. I hope this helps for those of you who are putting it on AMCAS! Also, for the college of letters and sciences, those that made the Provost's List, the requirement was 3.75 for 12 units and 3.66 for 16 units.•••••no that isnt true at all, YOU CANT place latin honors on your AMCAS application...

UCLA got rid of the rankign system long time ago! around 2 years ago, before you could go to the Office of teh Dean, and got your student rankign...you can't anymore...

one more thing, For LATIN HONORS you can only place them on your application when and only WHEN U GRADUATE...u can't say your summa cum laude, or magna cum laud, becasue these honors are confirmed during graduation, and since we no longer have a ranking system, you can't claim that you are in the top "5%, 10% or 20%" because it is absolutely not true....

u only get latin honors, if ur gpa is above those values after graduation...

on the other hand, you CAN place provost honors, college honors and departmental honors, because you aer in a progam...

anyway that is how it is at ucla....u can talk to Assistant Vice Provost of College Honors (Jennifer Wilson) and she will verify everything I just said...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Meizy:
•bruinkid--

hey can you tell me more about phi beta kappa? I got an invitation a few days ago but it was the first time i heard about it.
Is the cords just given out from the honors office?
I think latin honors is just based on GPA not % of the graduating class although the actual number of students may very well be close to 5%, 10% etc.
please let me know!
meizy•••••yes that is true...it's based on gpa, ALTHOUGH it could be true, but the university never makes a claim if it is 5%, or 6% or 25%...you can't verify the numbers....

•[/QUOTE]no that isnt true at all, YOU CANT place latin honors on your AMCAS application...

UCLA got rid of the rankign system long time ago! around 2 years ago, before you could go to the Office of teh Dean, and got your student rankign...you can't anymore...

one more thing, For LATIN HONORS you can only place them on your application when and only WHEN U GRADUATE...u can't say your summa cum laude, or magna cum laud, becasue these honors are confirmed during graduation, and since we no longer have a ranking system, you can't claim that you are in the top "5%, 10% or 20%" because it is absolutely not true....

u only get latin honors, if ur gpa is above those values after graduation...

on the other hand, you CAN place provost honors, college honors and departmental honors, because you aer in a progam...

anyway that is how it is at ucla....u can talk to Assistant Vice Provost of College Honors (Jennifer Wilson) and she will verify everything I just said...•[/QUOTE]

Although you can't say summa cum laude on the AMCAS, you can put summa cum laude or latin honors "candidate." I am not sure how impressive or necessary that is since it is already obvious by your GPA. but i guess it doesn't hurt.

are you guys putting the provosts' honors quarters in post-secondary experiences?

In my case, I already graduated from UCLA. So, I am putting down Latin Honors on my AMCAS application. I also called the Honors office at UCLA today and they told me that Summa Cum Laude is given to the top 5% of the graduating class etc.

pocwana-
you should definitely put down provost's list in the post secondary experiences! Also, for phi beta kappa, i didn't receive an invitation and I don't know why. I've a 3.8+ gpa

bruinkid -
have you finished all your ge's?
did you transfer? if so, how many units have you taken at ucla? are you graduating this quarter?

check out this page for specific info <a href="http://www.college.ucla.edu/up/honors/pbk.html" target="_blank">UCLA Phi Beta Kappa Information</a>
there's a number at the bottom of the page if you have more ?s

g/l

c'mon watcha, live a little. you'll have an avatar depicting a wizard doing doggie with a horsie, but you won't put latin honors on your application before you graduate. C'MON!!! if you're one quarter away and you're doing well the last quarter then just do it.

since we can't submit amcas until (at least) june 12th, if your finals end early and your profs/tas grade quickly, then you might be able to figure out your gpa and .: honors level before you submit. that is, if you have a problem with guessing how you did.
:)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Milhouse Van Houten:
•c'mon watcha, live a little. you'll have an avatar depicting a wizard doing doggie with a horsie, but you won't put latin honors on your application before you graduate. C'MON!!! if you're one quarter away and you're doing well the last quarter then just do it.•••••well, bruinkid is different...he has graduated...I filled out the application last year...so I didn't need to put it...besides I had already placed down departmental, college honors as well golden key, provost honors....etc etc...I didn't think putting latin honors was honest....that's all...heck if u want to put it, go ahead...but I'm going to graduate, and going to med school....so I don't need to put anything down on my application :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•I had already placed down departmental, college honors as well golden key, provost honors....etc etc... :D •••••Congrats on getting in!
Did you enter all of these as separate experiences?

•••quote:•••quoting myself:
since we can't submit amcas until (at least) june 12th, if your finals end early and your profs/tas grade quickly, then you might be able to figure out your gpa and .: honors level before you submit. that is, if you have a problem with guessing how you did.
••••i meant, of course, for the people who are graduating this quarter to do this calculation, because this will be a true reflection of what's on the diploma

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pocwana:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by WatchaMaCallit:
•I had already placed down departmental, college honors as well golden key, provost honors....etc etc... :D •••••Congrats on getting in!
Did you enter all of these as separate experiences?

•••quote:•••quoting myself:
••••i meant, of course, for the people who are graduating this quarter to do this calculation, because this will be a true reflection of what's on the diploma•••••well I tried combining some of them together....when I originally did my amcas experience thingie...(there were no limits last year) for example...I listed provost honors, college honors, departmental honors, and golden key etc etc as seperate entities, and then I had research scholarships (couple) blah blah

and also publications (couple) and before I knew it

I had a total of 51 experiences (all extremely important and noteworthy ones) so I cut it in half, cuz I knew the ad coms would laugh at me..

so I kind of combined, lets say college honors + departmental honors + provost honors and explain one briefly under the category of "Honors" for example

another category, could be "Honor organizations"
then you could place Golden Key, Mortar Board, and Phi Beta Kappa...

notice you went from "six categories" into two broad categories, that encompasses all of them, and yet doesn't exclude any of ur noteworthy accomplishments...

I hope I didnt come across as sounding, pompous :( I was just trying to explain to u what to do if u have a lot of experiences....

•watchamacallit: i'll be at the college honors reception. although, i wonder if i'll get to have the star by my name and any special "clothing"(do we have to pay a deposit for that like for the dumb gold coil crap?)...i had a big fiasco with the whole my.ucla mediation of everything graduation...

??•••••hey strangeattractor! I forgot to pick up my commencement tickets, and the fools voided my tickets! :( any idea on what I should do....I just need 3 tickets for my family...anybody have a couple to spare? oooohhhhhh I rarely if ever check my.ucla...damn fools..they could have sent me a letter telling me to pick it up....argh :mad:

thank god I'm leaving this freakin school!

Damn, now there's SDN threads devoted only to UCLA Honors? I guess we Bruins have taken over this forum... while we're at it, did anyone pass through Bruin Plaza today and see those huge banners with horrendous pictures of abortion images? I was totally offended by that (and by the idiot standing behind the fence who I argued with for 30 min. to no avail). Don't they know we have little kids all up in our campus everyday? Just wanted to vent about this and this seems to be as good a place as any...

I just need 3 tickets for my family...anybody have a couple to spare?
••••for what ceremony do you need the tix?
i have 1 (solamente uno) extra for the big L&S one. e-mail me if that's the one you want.

•••quote:•••
thank god I'm leaving this freakin school!••••i hear ya!

I hope I didnt come across as sounding, pompous :( I was just trying to explain to u what to do if u have a lot of experiences....••••I don't know about everybody else, but I think you're a big pompous ass!!!
tee-hee. i'm j/k. it's so hard to make a joke on these boards. :D
but seriously, thanks for the info. that's a pretty good idea, i just might go with that.

whatcha: so i got screwed screwed screwed by this online bs. but did you get around to placing yourself on the waitlist? i needed 3 tickets...my mom, dad, and half bro are flying in from indiana and boston for the event. my dad and bro are leaving the day after! but it seems that all the people on the waitlist got two tickets...yes do the math and i'm one short...i'm going to be very busy this week...arggggg...one girl offered me an extra ticket but somehow it turns out i'd pretty much need to go to her bday party (which i want to go to...except...that my ex is going to be there. he's her best friend. DANGIT! plus it's friday...right before finals).

so, if you haven't already, call up the commencement office, or better yet: go there in person. there's a link to the office's site on your myucla notices. talk to them. i might need to. for your departmental meeting (not the big l&s one), talk to your deptl advisor; mine said that they won't be checking for formal tickets at ours and only needed to know how many people we were expecting to tote along with us.

also, you've prolly done this, but just make sure you turn in your college honors candidacy form. i almost didn't get it in on time. not that i care about a friggin star next to my name or whatever it entails, but the parents seem to care about these stupid details.

hmmm anything else? i think i saw people selling grad tickets in the bruin last year. if i see anyone tryin to hawk off their "hard-earned" tickets this year i will call and harass them. seriously, i'm about to have a freak fit: here we are, honors students who have worked our way to graduation aimed towards a professional program. we don't have time to play around with myucla (at least i don't...who cares about the forums and crap they have on there...the only people i know who DO check it regularly are those who don't have any work)...or check waste of paper bruin for these so called ads...(hello, i don't know about anyone else, but i was out of town on interviews; and besides, if i want to find out what's going on in the world...well, the daily bruin is not my primary source. the xword puzzle even sucks). but i bet the jackoff lazy ass students who are bbbbarely scrapin by got all their tickets. ERG. :mad:

:p :p :p :p :p

sorry. needed to vent. will simmer down immediately before i self-combust. let me know if i can help in anyway.

btw...i will keep my eyes open for tix for ya whatcha...just reread your post...and i suppose perhaps the waitlist wouldn't help you much. but seriously, go to the office and work some magic!

•i think i saw people selling grad tickets in the bruin last year. if i see anyone tryin to hawk off their "hard-earned" tickets this year i will call and harass them. •••••strangeattractor, please do not use this option, which i doubt will even be an option. this year there was some official statement saying that anyone trying to scalp or buy scalped tickets will be reprimanded by the dean, yadda yadda yadda, and other sorts of various awful things that are not worth it because you're almost done.

•whatcha: so i got screwed screwed screwed by this online bs. but did you get around to placing yourself on the waitlist? i needed 3 tickets...my mom, dad, and half bro are flying in from indiana and boston for the event. my dad and bro are leaving the day after! but it seems that all the people on the waitlist got two tickets...yes do the math and i'm one short...i'm going to be very busy this week...arggggg...one girl offered me an extra ticket but somehow it turns out i'd pretty much need to go to her bday party (which i want to go to...except...that my ex is going to be there. he's her best friend. DANGIT! plus it's friday...right before finals).

so, if you haven't already, call up the commencement office, or better yet: go there in person. there's a link to the office's site on your myucla notices. talk to them. i might need to. for your departmental meeting (not the big l&s one), talk to your deptl advisor; mine said that they won't be checking for formal tickets at ours and only needed to know how many people we were expecting to tote along with us.

also, you've prolly done this, but just make sure you turn in your college honors candidacy form. i almost didn't get it in on time. not that i care about a friggin star next to my name or whatever it entails, but the parents seem to care about these stupid details.

hmmm anything else? i think i saw people selling grad tickets in the bruin last year. if i see anyone tryin to hawk off their "hard-earned" tickets this year i will call and harass them. seriously, i'm about to have a freak fit: here we are, honors students who have worked our way to graduation aimed towards a professional program. we don't have time to play around with myucla (at least i don't...who cares about the forums and crap they have on there...the only people i know who DO check it regularly are those who don't have any work)...or check waste of paper bruin for these so called ads...(hello, i don't know about anyone else, but i was out of town on interviews; and besides, if i want to find out what's going on in the world...well, the daily bruin is not my primary source. the xword puzzle even sucks). but i bet the jackoff lazy ass students who are bbbbarely scrapin by got all their tickets. ERG. :mad:

:p :p :p :p :p

sorry. needed to vent. will simmer down immediately before i self-combust. let me know if i can help in anyway.•••••ARGGGH, my sentiments exactly!!! I don't even check my ucla...why didnt they freakin SEND ME THE DAMN tickets...what a bunch of ******s...I can't wait to get out of this school....thanks for all he other info...I already took care of the candidacy and departmental thingies!!!!

ARGGGGH :mad:

ur sweet :D

pocwana-
i graduated in december of 2001 and had 148 units from ucla with a 3.8+ gpa. I took some ge classes at ucla extension, but that's it. i think i should call them today.

oh...i wasn't implying i would try to buy scalped tickets; i was saying i would harass anyone who was trying to sell tickets. big difference.

whatcha, here's a story. my friend and i headed down to murphy today...he has a gpa far above what is needed for latin honors but they didn't have his name on the list at grad etc. he went to the L&S window and they sent him to college honors even though he's not in college honors. it took us an hour to figure out someone didn't process his petition to graduate this quarter...

anyhow. best of luck keeping your sanity through the next week and a half!