UCLA Neuroscience major 3.5 overall 3.4 science 34 mcat!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am freaking out...
with 3.5 overall/3.4 science GPA and 34MCAT
can i get into ANY UC med school??!?
I have one more year left and I don't think my GPA will be going up or down.
I have more than 2+ research in the same lab with one publication.
I have 200 hospital volunteer hours.
I am also in one of the mobile clinic programs.
California resident.
I also have leadership experiences, I am an officer for two clubs (premedical related)

My dream school is UCI, but is that wishing too much??

Which schools should I apply as backup?!?

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should get a high MCAT and apply broadly. You have the curse of being from CA.

Yes, you can get into a UC med school. But, it's hard. You have the EC's down pat, although you will need to synthesize that into how it helped put you on the path to becoming a physician. Consider non-hospital volunteering, but don't do that over studying for the MCAT.

The MCAT is your biggest determinant right now, short of acing all your classes.

Start with the MSAR and the LizzyM spreadsheet (if you check all the posts on this forum, it's in one of them). There are MANY private colleges with lower admission stats than CA schools, and many of them accept OOS residents.

You should get a high MCAT and apply broadly. You have the curse of being from CA.

Yes, you can get into a UC med school. But, it's hard. You have the EC's down pat, although you will need to synthesize that into how it helped put you on the path to becoming a physician. Consider non-hospital volunteering, but don't do that over studying for the MCAT.

The MCAT is your biggest determinant right now, short of acing all your classes.

Start with the MSAR and the LizzyM spreadsheet (if you check all the posts on this forum, it's in one of them). There are MANY private colleges with lower admission stats than CA schools, and many of them accept OOS residents.

thank you for your advice.. I guess I can try retaking the MCAT, but a lot of people told me it's risky (Sighs I don't know what to do)

LizzyM spreadsheet looks way too promising. It says that for UCdavis, UCIrvine, and USC, I should "go for it", but then when I looked at MSAR, my GPA was the 10th percentile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don' retake your mcat, it's fine. Your GPA on the other hand, is on the low side. That doesn't mean that you can't get in, it's just difficult however, if you apply broadly, you have a shot. if you really want UCI, then you can take more classes to raise your Cumulative and science GPA, then apply next cycle

Don' retake your mcat, it's fine. Your GPA on the other hand, is on the low side. That doesn't mean that you can't get in, it's just difficult however, if you apply broadly, you have a shot. if you really want UCI, then you can take more classes to raise your Cumulative and science GPA, then apply next cycle

I took so many classes already that my counselor told me that I need to graduate within 4 years (I already went over the max units!)
Will raising the MCAT really help, then I won't mind taking it again. (Honestly, I could MAY BE get a 36, so I don't know if it's worth it)
Hmm it says on LizzyM spreadsheet, with my stats Michigan State University is a "safety" To be honest I wouldn't mind going to MSU. Do I have a shot at MSU?

I wouldn't retake it without applying first. I'm just saying for future references. A 34 is between about 90%tile, and a 36 is 95%tile.. it's very hard to raise this kind of score.

I will re-edit my advice to include taking a full inventory of your GPA and how much 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 new classes with all A's will change your GPA. This route might be easier than raising your MCAT.

I do expect the OP to be accepted into a school on the first application, just not specifically a CA one.

I wouldn't retake it without applying first. I'm just saying for future references. A 34 is between about 90%tile, and a 36 is 95%tile.. it's very hard to raise this kind of score.

I do expect the OP to be accepted into a school this year, just not specifically a CA one.

OP, no one can really tell you if you you're are going to get in or not, even the spreadsheet won't guarantee you anything, it's just used as reference. What i'm trying to say is, you never know really until you apply and find out. I say apply, if it doesn't work out( hopefully it does), then you might look into post bacc programs or SMP's. If i were you, i won't retake the Mcat unless you are sure you will score higher.

I will re-edit my advice to include taking a full inventory of your GPA and how much 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 new classes with all A's will change your GPA. This route might be easier than raising your MCAT.

I do expect the OP to be accepted into a school on the first application, just not specifically a CA one.

And more effective IMHO

And more effective IMHO

ty for your advice.
This is the potential list of schools, I will be applying if I am not doing any Post Bac or SMP.
(Please free to make any suggestions)
UCSF *
UCSD *
UCLA *
UCI
UCDavis
USC
Georgetown University
Boston University
Drexel University
Albany Medical College
Michigan State University
New York Medical College
George Washington University

These are 13 school so far. I am planning on applying 15-20.
Which schools should I apply as back ups?
(I feel like this list is too competitive for me. Am I doing it wrong?
These are all recommended by LizzyM except for the * ones (those were HOPEFUL)

Even though I stated that I wanted to go to a school in CA, I really wouldn't mind OOS. Do I have any chances at the school I listed?

***Sorry for constantly asking questions, I'm a bit nervous at this whole idea of applying!

ty for your advice.
This is the potential list of schools, I will be applying if I am not doing any Post Bac or SMP.
(Please free to make any suggestions)
UCSF *
UCSD *
UCLA *
UCI
UCDavis
USC
Georgetown University
Boston University
Drexel University
Albany Medical College
Michigan State University
New York Medical College
George Washington University

These are 13 school so far. I am planning on applying 15-20.
Which schools should I apply as back ups?
(I feel like this list is too competitive for me. Am I doing it wrong?
These are all recommended by LizzyM except for the * ones (those were HOPEFUL)

Even though I stated that I wanted to go to a school in CA, I really wouldn't mind OOS. Do I have any chances at the school I listed?

***Sorry for constantly asking questions, I'm a bit nervous at this whole idea of applying!
Michigan State is one of the most expensive schools in the country for OOS students.

Georgetown, George Washington, Drexel, and Boston all get 10k+ apps a year so you can't count on them. So you basically only have 2-3 schools that look like reasonable matches for your stats that aren't extremely expensive

Ok, I am freaking out...
with 3.5 overall/3.4 science GPA and 34MCAT
can i get into ANY UC med school??!?
I have one more year left and I don't think my GPA will be going up or down.
I have more than 2+ research in the same lab with one publication.
I have 200 hospital volunteer hours.
I am also in one of the mobile clinic programs.
California resident.
I also have leadership experiences, I am an officer for two clubs (premedical related)

My dream school is UCI, but is that wishing too much??

Which schools should I apply as backup?!?

Please help!
Retaking the MCAT and getting a 36 would result in a 4% improvement in your chances for an acceptance. This is not a good allocation of your time. Better would be to have a blazing upward grade trend in the next two semesters, even if it won't budge your GPA by much. Decrease your time involvement with ECs if necessary to accomplish this.

Doesn't Irvine seek to train primary care docs? Be sure your applicaton will appeal to them by having solid formal shadowing experience with an Internist, Pediatrician, and/or Family Physician.

For backup schools with a 3.5/34 (though hopefully you'll be close to a cGPA of 3.6 by then), consider checking these for "fit":

Rochester, MCW, Miami, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook,
UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Virginia Tech (newer), Temple, Albany, Toledo, Wake, Creighton (no CC credit for prereqs), Nebraska, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (new)
Wayne, Wright, FAU, Oakland (new in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis), Arizona X 2,
VCU, Louisville, UIllinois (high OOS tuition), Buffalo, EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)

thank you for all your advices!

I'm looking at my transcript right now and I'm seeing a lot of B+, B, and B-.(And two C+s)
I know it comes out as 3.53 overall and 3.44 science GPA, but why do I keep feeling discouraged just looking at my transcript.

My chances are still same with other applicant with the same GPA right?

My chances are still same with other applicant with the same GPA right?
ECs being equal:

Your chances with a steep upward grade trend are better those for another applicant with the same MCAT score and a flat or downward grade trend.

Your chance compared to another applicant with the same GPA and grade trend but a lower MCAT score is better,

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I'm neuro at UCLA as well and in your year. We have identical stats (except I haven't taken the mcat but im projecting around a 34-35). Don't ya love the ucla grade deflation?

Your 34 is going to be your best friend. Former applicants I've spoken from previous years have told me that AdComs know that us and Cal are deflation schools that make us kill each other for the A's so it's going to get you leeway, and with our stats (and assuming solid everything else) we'll get in somewhere (though in-state is a crapshoot for any of us). That being said, we're not Harvard. You still need to keep performing.

Thank god the core series is done.

OP, I'm neuro at UCLA as well and in your year. We have identical stats (except I haven't taken the mcat but im projecting around a 34-35). Don't ya love the ucla grade deflation?

Your 34 is going to be your best friend. Former applicants I've spoken from previous years have told me that AdComs know that us and Cal are deflation schools that make us kill each other for the A's so it's going to get you leeway, and with our stats (and assuming solid everything else) we'll get in somewhere (though in-state is a crapshoot for any of us). That being said, we're not Harvard. You still need to keep performing.

Thank god the core series is done.

Ha nice meeting you!

But honestly, do they really take into consideration the school you're from?
I understand if we're comparing two end of the spectrum, sure they do notice it, but if it's like UCLA 3.5 vs UCI 3.7 vs UC Davis 3.8, I feel like UCI and UC Davis have better chance than we do.

Please someone correct me that I'm wrong lol

Your MCAT is perfectly fine where it is now, since taking it again will put you at risk of getting a lower score. I highly doubt you'd get a whole lot of leeway for being from California. That's like saying it's ok to have a slight low-par gpa from Harvard because hey, it's Harvard. Obviously our med schools aren't all filled with mostly top 20 grads. I believe the alma mater only makes it's biggest impact when you have two students with similar stats and essays, but one applicant is from a prestigious school while the other is from a small and relatively unknown school. Work on finishing with a few quarters of strong grades, and represent yourself well in your personal statement. Everything else is outside of your control, since nobody really knows what sort of black magic goes on behind those doors at the admission committees. Apply to as many as you can afford, with at least 12 schools not from California.

I just wanted to refine my info a lil bit more.
I definitely have an upward trend.
Also, I got into my first relationship ever, in college, so my 2nd year was bad for me. My first year was almost all As but 2nd year ( when I got into a relationship: I didn't know how to manage my time wisely nor how to deal with emotional stress that comes with relationship) But now I consider myself more mature and have gotten As.

My question is is there any school with my stats, that I have atleast 80 percent chance? or is that improbable to calculate?
(3.5/34)

I'm not financially well off so I'm trying to see which schools to apply! (I'm taking FAP into consideration as well, but with my stat I need to apply more than what FAP can cover for me, so it would be great if I can apply to couple schools where I have a very very good chance.)

My question is is there any school with my stats, that I have atleast 80 percent chance? or is that improbable to calculate?
(3.5/34)

I'm not financially well off so I'm trying to see which schools to apply! (I'm taking FAP into consideration as well, but with my stat I need to apply more than what FAP can cover for me, so it would be great if I can apply to couple schools where I have a very very good chance.)
The average applicant applies to 14 schools. It is impossible to calculate your chances at an individual school. Even with the average applicant applying to 14 schools, only ~68% of those who applied with your stats were accepted in previous years http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625 That means there's no way your chances at ONE school will be 80%

If you want to maximize your chances, you should take into consideration that the school list you posted earlier is a very poor combination of schools for someone with a 3.5. As I stated previously, only 2 or 3 of those schools are reasonable "match" list schools. And no MD school in the country will be a safety unless you're a URM

The average applicant applies to 14 schools. It is impossible to calculate your chances at an individual school. Even with the average applicant applying to 14 schools, only ~68% of those who applied with your stats were accepted in previous years http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=838625 That means there's no way your chances at ONE school will be 80%

If you want to maximize your chances, you should take into consideration that the school list you posted earlier is a very poor combination of schools for someone with a 3.5. As I stated previously, only 2 or 3 of those schools are reasonable "match" list schools. And no MD school in the country will be a safety unless you're a URM

yea I figured the list I posted was no good.
That's why I was wondering if someone (CA resident) with my stats received any interviews and have recommendations for me. I just wanted to hear from other people that might know of people in my situation and have gotten in to a school or at least received an interview.

yea I figured the list I posted was no good.
That's why I was wondering if someone (CA resident) with my stats received any interviews and have recommendations for me. I just wanted to hear from other people that might know of people in my situation and have gotten in to a school or at least received an interview.
I see. Well I anticipate that your California residency will not be a negative factor in your application, as I've pointed out more fully in this post http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11072818

Your research experience might attract a UC school. The problem is that it's really tough to predict, which is why it is good to have a mix of other out-of-state schools.

People with your stats get interviews at plenty of schools. Just check out MDApps http://mdapplicants.com/search.php

I just did a search for people with MCATs from 33 to 35, cGPA from 3.45 to 3.55 who received an interview at UC Irvine. There are 11 people listed on MDApps who meet that criteria. So it's definitely possible.

Best of luck to you

I see. Well I anticipate that your California residency will not be a negative factor in your application, as I've pointed out more fully in this post http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11072818

Your research experience might attract a UC school. The problem is that it's really tough to predict, which is why it is good to have a mix of other out-of-state schools.

People with your stats get interviews at plenty of schools. Just check out MDApps http://mdapplicants.com/search.php

I just did a search for people with MCATs from 33 to 35, cGPA from 3.45 to 3.55 who received an interview at UC Irvine. There are 11 people listed on MDApps who meet that criteria. So it's definitely possible.

Best of luck to you

ok I just checked out the mdapplicant website and it's pretty neat.
BUT it is freaking me out! a lot of people with my stats are happy to get into a DO school.....
does that mean I have a very little chance of getting into a MD school??!??

should I go by this mdapplicant website?!??

ok I just checked out the mdapplicant website and it's pretty neat.
BUT it is freaking me out! a lot of people with my stats are happy to get into a DO school.....
does that mean I have a very little chance of getting into a MD school??!??

should I go by this mdapplicant website?!??

First, people are excited to go to a DO school because it means they're gonna be a doctor (myself included). Second, MDapps is surely a self selecting bunch. I think it's an interesting read, but definitely not to be taken as representative of the full applicant pool.

Last edited:
First, people are excited to go to a DO school because it means they're gonna be a doctor (myself included). Second, MDapps is surely a self selecting bunch. I think it's an interesting read, but definitely not to be taken as representative of the full applicant pool.

I certainly did not have an MDapp profile (still don't), but I did get 3 interviews to USMD schools.

i'm kind of on the same boat as you :(

just a quick question on the "upward" trend.
I started off strong my 1st year but my grades slipped a little (lot of B's...) during my 2nd year due to the hellish physics-chem-bio combo. But my grades improved significantly after my 2nd year (getting mostly A's). This is still considered an "upward" trend, right?

i'm kind of on the same boat as you :(

just a quick question on the "upward" trend.
I started off strong my 1st year but my grades slipped a little (lot of B's...) during my 2nd year due to the hellish physics-chem-bio combo. But my grades improved significantly after my 2nd year (getting mostly A's). This is still considered an "upward" trend, right?
A "trend" needs to constitute more than one data point, so if the grade improvement continued over two terms, it would constitute an upward grade trend. If there are three data points, it's a consistent upward trend, and even better.

Yiou are welcome to start your own thread if you need more personal advice.

I'm gonna try to be honest with you, because I think it's best for you to hear the truth:

All those people that say that UCLA is a grade "deflating" school simply haven't worked hard enough. It's possible to get good grades consistently. I'm a UCLA student too, with a far better GPA and better MCAT. I applied broadly (around 22 secondaries complete), and luckily received interviews from some great schools. BUT, I didn't receive interviews at all schools, including 3 CA schools.

I consider myself extremely fortunate, because my absolute #1 school (by a long shot) accepted me before Thanksgiving. That being said, I understand now how the application process is largely a roll of the dice. Having better stats may give you loaded dice, but nothing is a guarantee.

My advice to you has been said already: apply broadly, hope for the best, but plan for the worst. You may get tons of CA interviews, you may get none. Highlight the strongest portions of your application and be ready to take some extra measures to improve your GPA before the cycle starts. Good luck!

and that is why you think UCLA is not a deflation school. try biochem or chemistry at UCLA and then rethink if it should or shouldnt be a deflation school. i'm not trying to bash you here, but most pre-meds dont choose biochemistry/chemistry at LA or cal. too much competition in those fields and the major requirements are extremely rigorous... pchem...quantum....etc.

Well I've heard for the last 3 years that UCLA is a grade-deflating school even from all my lifesci friends, and I just don't buy it.

All the biochem classes I've taken with biochem majors (3 total) were graded with ~10% A curve which is completely reasonable. Too many whiners, not enough people who work past the "grade deflation"

Well I've heard for the last 3 years that UCLA is a grade-deflating school even from all my lifesci friends, and I just don't buy it.

All the biochem classes I've taken with biochem majors (3 total) were graded with ~10% A curve which is completely reasonable. Too many whiners, not enough people who work past the "grade deflation"
153A and 153L are not "real" biochem classes. plus they are like 95% physci majors anyways lol

I like the weather, the major cities in NorCal, the atmosphere, and of course the quality of schools.

So glad I'm gonna be up north for the next 4+ years

With a 34 MCAT i would assume that you are moderately competitive for UCI and UCD, its worth a shot to apply but definitely add more schools then just the Cali ones.

Where is this spreadsheet that LizzyM has?
It isn't Lizzy M's spreadsheet, but it is based on the Lizzy M formula, which creates a number calculated from cGPA and MCAT score.

Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort), so you can fill in your own (projected) stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you’re competitive. Next look at the out-of-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for “fit,” removing any from your list that mainly serve in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

It isn't Lizzy M's spreadsheet, but it is based on the Lizzy M formula, which creates a number calculated from cGPA and MCAT score.

Download this google.doc spreadsheet data (an SDN collaborative effort), so you can fill in your own (projected) stats, and it will tell you for which US med schools you’re competitive. Next look at the out-of-state matriculation data before you do further research on each school for “fit,” removing any from your list that mainly serve in-state students: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmKVGWwobG5GdEx2MjlBTDE0bXFXNGFZczZqYTZKb2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Thanks!