UCLA Or Cal.......I need HELP!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12345a

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I'm a transfer student from a cc (psychology major) and I just got into UCLA :)cool:)....anyway, I might be jumping the gun here b/c decisions come out on 4/30, but I'm pretty confident that I will get into UC Berkeley.

If I get in.....really can't decide where to go

UCLA

Pros: Far from home, #3 best public school in the nation, has a dental school with many dental opportunities for pre-dents, hotter girls, better campus (in my opinion), better housing, and my brother goes there.

Only real cons are that I have to take 4 quarters of Bio to fulfill the 1 year bio requirement...(not exactly sure how that works) and that I hate traveling from and to SoCal

Cal

Pros: Close to home, #1 public school in the nation, better known than UCLA, I can come home and continue to shadow/volunteer at my local dentist, can take the volunteer position at UCSF

Cons: I hate the campus sooooo much! I would hate to live there.

From your perspective, as a pre-dent student, where would you go if you were in my situation and why?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

I'm a transfer student from a cc (psychology major) and I just got into UCLA :)cool:)....anyway, I might be jumping the gun here b/c decisions come out on 4/30, but I'm pretty confident that I will get into UC Berkeley.

If I get in.....really can't decide where to go

UCLA

Pros: Far from home, #3 best public school in the nation, has a dental school with many dental opportunities for pre-dents, hotter girls, better campus (in my opinion), better housing, and my brother goes there.

Only real cons are that I have to take 4 quarters of Bio to fulfill the 1 year bio requirement...(not exactly sure how that works) and that I hate traveling from and to SoCal

Cal

Pros: Close to home, #1 public school in the nation, better known than UCLA, I can come home and continue to shadow/volunteer at my local dentist, can take the volunteer position at UCSF

Cons: I hate the campus sooooo much! I would hate to live there.

From your perspective, as a pre-dent student, where would you go if you were in my situation and why?

That pretty much seals the deal. Go to UCLA. Both schools are awesome, can't really go wrong here.

go to ucla. the professors you meet at the dental school, should you choose to do so through research or otherwise, will help your application.

plus if you're interested in life science i think ucla is better than cal. if you're not then cal is probably better.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

UCLA

Looks like you know plenty of Pros for UCLA so I'll stick with the other reasons. I grew up in LA. In high school I'd go with my friends to Westwood and get some Diddy Reese, play tennis on their campus, and smoke hookah at habibi's (sorry if I mispell it). Anyways, there are a lot of pros to the school, but I found a lot of outsiders were always in Westwood so it wasn't my ideal environment. I feel Berkeley doesn't have that same attraction on a day-to-day basis with people outside so you mainly will have all college students in the area (and bums to be fair). However, it doesn't surprise me that living further away from home is more desirable.

As a Cal alumni, let me give you a little food for thought....I can't say if Cal is really "better" than any of the other public institutions (I'm sure they are all very good and produce successful people) but I know it's a general consensus at Cal (at least) we compare our academics amongst other schools and not just limit it amongst the UC's. So I think the name goes far.

I think it's naive to select a school or even make that a pro to get to know professors on campus to help you in the dental school process. Remember it is a public institution so the admission is much different than private. I'm sure there are shady deals that are made but I'd assume you want to get in the right way. I know of a couple people who got to know the admissions with UoP and was given an off-the books interview and pretty much acceptance. If anything, I'd put that on the top reasons why you should go to berkeley :laugh:

hotter girls? Is that a serious reason? haha it's funny how people actually make that a reason...There are thousands of people that attend both schools. I'll assume you're a social ***** like me and get to know about 1,000 ish people by the time you graduate. Assuming the worst, of those thousand people you'll probably hookup with 5-6 of them, then there will be a couple outside of that thousand people you hook up with, several you date, and only one you hope you end up with. So in reality, you're really looking for about 12-15 attractive people out of a campus with over 8,000 students. Socially speaking, I think it depends on the person. Just because you may go to a school with more pretty girls doesn't mean you're going to be friends with them :laugh:

I was in the same predicament as you except I'm from socal. I absolutely loved my experience at Cal. Hope this post was somewhat helpful. good luck with your decision

thank you, yes this is broadening my perspective

look. Dealbreakers:
Ucla has a dental school where opportunities exist for undergrads to get involved. Not sure why anybody interested in x school wouldnt want to go to a school that didnt have an x school for them to check out..
On the east coast the only thing ppl have heard about ucla and berkeley is that they are good. it is not common knowledge. Remember there are lots of privates on the east coast that dont care about residency

Decide which is best for u. There are thousands who have chosen ucla and thousands who have chosen cal so u cant really go wrong

just go where you'll be most happy :) i was also a norcal native transfer student who was stuck b/w choosing cal n la years ago. as long as you study hard, both schools will help guide you to success. also, idk bout you, but i love the quarter system now. time flies and a difficult quarter is over in no time. weather is amazing if you love the sun and warm weather. traffic is a nightmare, but what can you do. d1 sports/pride are great at both schools. overall, i know i would've had a great experience at either school, but i have no regrets whatsoever choosing la.

idk about the whole women situation or the infamous "berkeley vision" that people talk about lol. but i know and have seen great looking people from both schools. it's just weather allows you to see more of it in la than cal ;) of course, ladies do generally dress up more often for no special occasion in la than in berk. there's always eye candy for you to look at, but i think you get used to it after a while and end up taking it for granted :(

in terms of the pre-dental stuff...
yes, there are plenty of opportunities for you to get involved and also unique programs that you may not find anywhere else in the nation (bdp course). it may also be more conveinient to you to have many opportunities located on campus rather than commuting across the bay.

overall though, i think the general idea is no matter which school you go to, there will be plenty of various opportunities for you. you just have to find and take advantage of them. besides, chances are you'll only have enough time to do so much considering you that you also have a life outside of school and experience other non predent related activities at school. so go where you'll have fun, study hard, and have an amazing experience!

UCLA.
First half of my undergrad I went to a school that I hated so much. It did make undergrad suck so bad, until I transferred.

where did you transfer to/from?