UCLA or UCSD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's complete the circle.

Members don't see this ad.

Ucla Ucla Ucla Ucla Ucla Ucla Ucla Ucla Ucla Ucla

I kinda know that this circle's going to be skewed on the UCLA side. But I'm rooting for UCSD!!! UCSD has the cutest brainy girls...period...because I'm going there :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though UCLA has a better reputation, a slightly better matchlist, is less known for being competitive, and has a more student-friendly curriculum, I'd go with UCSD.

This has more to do with the fact that I consider Los Angeles a polluted, plastic, self-important, soulless, depraved, gridlocked, overrated, phoney, sprawling piece of monkey sh#$# monstrosity of a city than with the schools. That and La Jolla is heaven on earth.

The only advantage Los Angeles offers over San Diego is that it's closer to Santa Barbara and Monterey County. :smuggrin:

Ucla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freaker said:
Even though UCLA has a better reputation, a slightly better matchlist, is less known for being competitive, and has a more student-friendly curriculum, I'd go with UCSD.

This has more to do with the fact that I consider Los Angeles a polluted, plastic, self-important, soulless, depraved, gridlocked, overrated, phoney, sprawling piece of monkey sh#$# monstrosity of a city than with the schools. That and La Jolla is heaven on earth.

The only advantage Los Angeles offers over San Diego is that it's closer to Santa Barbara and Monterey County. :smuggrin:

Envy: A feeling of grudging admiration and desire to have something possessed by another.

Shaz said:
Envy: A feeling of grudging admiration and desire to have something possessed by another.

True that.

Both are good schools. But UCLA, in my opinion, is superior in most every respect--hospitals, research, clinical opportunities, atmosphere, and general happiness of students.

Face it: UCSD has a pretty established reputation of being cut-throat.

Plus, Westwood is a pretty cool city--the environment and weather are not too different from La Jolla.

what are you most concerned about in a potential school?

Pass/Fail and no more then 2 hours of lecture a day how can you beat that?

any UCLA or UCSD interview invites lately??? When do they call it quits?

Long Dong said:
Pass/Fail and no more then 2 hours of lecture a day how can you beat that?

For reals.

UCLA all the way! UCSD is a good school, but I hear that it is incredibly cut throat and that the affiliated hospitals are not as good as those affiliated with UCLA.

And c'mon? Who doesn't want to be a Bruin?

This is a real no brainer, unless you have strong ties to the SD area (like a family/husband/wife). UCLA has my vote.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucla by far

[/QUOTE=freaker]Even though UCLA has a better reputation, a slightly better matchlist, is less known for being competitive, and has a more student-friendly curriculum, I'd go with UCSD.

This has more to do with the fact that I consider Los Angeles a polluted, plastic, self-important, soulless, depraved, gridlocked, overrated, phoney, sprawling piece of monkey sh#$# monstrosity of a city. [/QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well put. This would be why I didn't even bother applying to UCLA or USC. Although it was difficult to explain to my parents in LA.

I actually chose UCSD over both LA and Cal for my undergrad due to the reputation of its bioengineering program (and proximity to regular big waves at Blacks Beach). In some ways, UCSD is now a better ranked school. It is 7th in primary care with UCLA not even on the radar and ranked just below UCLA for research. And it's 100 miles away from Hollywood. :p

So a. UCSD is not cutthroat
b. UCLA ranks you UCSD does not
c. San Diego is hands down a better place to go to med school

personal jesus said:
So a. UCSD is not cutthroat
b. UCLA ranks you UCSD does not
c. San Diego is hands down a better place to go to med school

whaa??? UCLA ranks its students? how does that not add to the competition? :confused:

scrappysurfer said:
In some ways, UCSD is now a better ranked school. It is 7th in primary care with UCLA not even on the radar and ranked just below UCLA for research. And it's 100 miles away from Hollywood. :p

Hmm...but the UCLA Medical Center is one of the world's best hospitals. UCSD comes nowhere close in this respect.

Tra La La said:
Hmm...but the UCLA Medical Center is one of the world's best hospitals. UCSD comes nowhere close in this respect.

What you will realize once you get to med school is that the reputation of a hospital will have no bearing on your time in school.

personal jesus said:
What you will realize once you get to med school is that the reputation of a hospital will have no bearing on your time in school.

Good point...but I also beleive that students at UCLA probably have better clinical exposure b/c of the hospital's high status.

Tra La La said:
Good point...but I also beleive that students at UCLA probably have better clinical exposure b/c of the hospital's high status.

This makes no sense at all. The clinical exposures have to do with who comes through the door. You dont have "better" patients coming from across the country to a hospital because US News has ranked it higher. In fact in LA Id rather do rotations at USC because you will see all sorts of crazy stuff come into the hospital that you might not get in Westwood.

ucla is the best in the west. you have some of the most famous people in the country there. its world known.

curriculum is awesome. pass/fail. LA. people are chill. you have multiple hospitals to go to people....ucla, cedars (also one of the best in the world), santa monica, 2 county, 2 VA hosptials.

although, SD is beautiful too.

personal jesus said:

Perhaps. But if the reputation of the hospital affects the reputation of the school, there would be some bearing inasmuch as that reputation affects one's future residency.

personal jesus said:
This makes no sense at all. The clinical exposures have to do with who comes through the door. You dont have "better" patients coming from across the country to a hospital because US News has ranked it higher. In fact in LA Id rather do rotations at USC because you will see all sorts of crazy stuff come into the hospital that you might not get in Westwood.

Fine. I can be frank, too.

UCSD is an inferior institution. Period.

If you think that a school's hospital has nothing to do with the way its students are trained and the quality of education they receive, you are clueless. Better hospitals have more reputable, highly regarded faculty members who can offer students more in terms of experience, insight, research, etc.

And are you so naive to think that UCLA's only medical center is in Westwood? Have you heard or Cedars Sinai, or of something called Harbor-UCLA?

ucla. no brainer. better rep, better match. westwood/santa monica are just like la jolla if not better. and what are they, the tritons or something? thats like a prop from the little mermaid.

isellcrack2kids said:
ucla. no brainer. better rep, better match. westwood/santa monica are just like la jolla if not better. and what are they, the tritons or something? thats like a prop from the little mermaid.

All good points. Especially the last one. :laugh:

J/K! I don't want to hate on SD. My school's mascot is even lamer.

Brothers and sisters of Cali,

Who cares which school is slightly better or not. What matters is that 3 UC schools (LA, SD, SF) are all within top 14 in the nation as shown in 2006 US News (yes, it's imperfect but that's what average people pay attention to). Which other states have more than one of their state school within the top 15? We should all be proud of our state. And let's try to have the rest of the UC's (Irvine and Davis) rise up into the top 15. That will be exciting!

the one that you will be happier at....

entropy.

i think u should just be happy that u have the opportunity to choose between those two.