UCLA students and others...use school LOR service or Interfolio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my school has a LOR service at the career center. For those of you who have dealt with sending LOR's what tends to be cheaper and more efficient? School service or Interfolio?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the majority of skools r participating in the amcas lor thing? So it doesn't matter if u use ur skools or interfoilio, the price diff is minimal.

Some schools, like UCSF require that you use your school's LOR service... I'd use UCLA's...err... I did use it:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how it will be this year with the primary, but last year only a relatively small portion of schools used the AMCAS letter system. My school has a letter service... It's free, too, so anyone'd be absolutely silly not to use it. The premed advisor will also check your letters for you and make recommendations on which letters to send when a school limits the number. I don't think there is any real advantage to using Interfolio over a school letter service. Even for the one school I applied to which used the AMCAS letter system, I printed out letter requests for my letters and turned them into the premed office and they took care of it from there.

Is there a fee for the applicant if your letter writer uploads the letter directly to AMCAS? Can you have your letter writers use this even if your school provides a LOR service? Ohh, I see that UCSF requires it... I suppose it's best to check each school you're applying to.... How do you find out if a school requires this?

I think amcas has a list of the participating skools. Also it should be free? At least last year it was.

Some schools, like UCSF require that you use your school's LOR service... I'd use UCLA's...err... I did use it:laugh:

Seriously I never read that can you post something showing that? Im skipping using my school letter service but since almost every school is using AMCAS it shouldnt matter right? Since amcas will be sending the letters?

Seriously I never read that can you post something showing that? Im skipping using my school letter service but since almost every school is using AMCAS it shouldnt matter right? Since amcas will be sending the letters?

I'm skipping my school letter service as well, hope this won't be a problem.

So is interfolio needed at all?

depends on what you are doing. If your school has a pre medical committe no its not needed as they can just send it to AMCAS. There are 115 med schools participating in AMCAS lor service, so basically every school you will apply to. If you are sending individial LORs as your school has no committe you can use interfolio like I am, you will just have interfolio send the letters to AMCAS and any other school that dont use AMCAS. but once again almost no schools are not using amcas. Im applying to 39 schools and ive found 2 schools that wont use amcas, albany and oregon.

im doing interfolio, UCSF can suck it

i've heard this from several friends who have applied already (real life, not SDN). one did both interfolio and career center to cover all her bases, but another guy just did interfolio, he said ucsf got mad at him or something :laugh::laugh: i dont know if he was accepted there or not.

sdfsd

Last edited:
depends on what you are doing. If your school has a pre medical committe no its not needed as they can just send it to AMCAS. There are 115 med schools participating in AMCAS lor service, so basically every school you will apply to. If you are sending individial LORs as your school has no committe you can use interfolio like I am, you will just have interfolio send the letters to AMCAS and any other school that dont use AMCAS. but once again almost no schools are not using amcas. Im applying to 39 schools and ive found 2 schools that wont use amcas, albany and oregon.

The revised list is 109 schools. There is a list somewhere on the AAMC site of schools not participating...it's in the middle of a 65 slide presentation for new pre-med advisors if anyone wants to find it.

The revised list is 109 schools. There is a list somewhere on the AAMC site of schools not participating...it's in the middle of a 65 slide presentation for new pre-med advisors if anyone wants to find it.

It says UCSF isnt participating but yet on the 2010 applicants website UCSF was just added maybe a week ago...who should we believe? Im confused:(

It says UCSF isnt participating but yet on the 2010 applicants website UCSF was just added maybe a week ago...who should we believe? Im confused:(

Believe the AMCAS list.