UCLA Undergrad GPA for Top Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techyneurodoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this question is more directed to UCLA students/grads... In your experience, how many premeds have actually had a perfect gpa when applying to medical school? So have the ucla students who have gone on to top 1o medical schools had perfect gpas? In my experience, a large proportion of students who have gone on to top 10 undergrad schools have had perfects gpas in high school, so is this trend also applicable to medical school admits?
I know that medical school admission committees look at more than just a GPA, but I was just wondering whether the vast majority of such successful ucla pre-medical students had perfect gpas.
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not. But if you define "successful" as acceptance to a Top 10 med program you'd better head to a doc yourself to get your ego checked out.

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely not. But if you define "successful" as acceptance to a Top 10 med program you'd better head to a doc yourself to get your ego checked out.
Thanks for your response. Haha I meant extraordinary :) definitely anyone who gets into med school is successful af

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess this question is more directed to UCLA students/grads... In your experience, how many premeds have actually had a perfect gpa when applying to medical school? So have the ucla students who have gone on to top 1o medical schools had perfect gpas? In my experience, a large proportion of students who have gone on to top 10 undergrad schools have had perfects gpas in high school, so is this trend also applicable to medical school admits?
I know that medical school admission committees look at more than just a GPA, but I was just wondering whether the vast majority of such successful ucla pre-medical students had perfect gpas.
Thanks for your input!

UCLA grads at top 10 schools will likely have a GPA within the range of their particular school. Typically this is a median 3.9 and at the very least a 3.7. Of course, 4.0 would be the maximum. The fact that they come from UCLA will not really change much.

http://www.career.ucla.edu/Students/Resources-Reports-and-Media/Med-School-Stats

There is published data going back close to a decade that can directly answer many of your questions.

As for GPA questions, look at MSAR to see GPA ranges for top 10 schools. The fact that only 52% of UCLA's applicants get into MD programs(compared to 43% for the national avg) suggests perhaps there isnt a major boost in terms of "GPA adjustment" for UCLA grads or that the name brand of the school has a significant influence in boosting their grads success rate in applying to med school.

Thanks for your input!
I sat on committee for 2 years at a top 10 and the UCLA grads we often saw had nowhere near a 4.0. You must be a freshman because the notion of comparing high school GPAs to college GPAs (especially at good schools like UCLA) is ridiculous and only someone so young would think to make that comparison. Maybe you should stop worrying about this stuff as a freshman.
definitely anyone who gets into med school is mildly more successful than most people
Fixed that for you. Getting into med school does not make you a saint

I guess this question is more directed to UCLA students/grads... In your experience, how many premeds have actually had a perfect gpa when applying to medical school?
Not many.
So have the ucla students who have gone on to top 1o medical schools had perfect gpas?
They had GPAs near the matriculant average.
In my experience, a large proportion of students who have gone on to top 10 undergrad schools have had perfects gpas in high school, so is this trend also applicable to medical school admits?
See above.
See above. Point is being a bruin won't really give you a "boost" of any sort.

...or, just grow up and out of a freshman mentality. It comes with time

Reactions: 1 users
Yea well I am a freshman you guys got it... I guess it is a bit too early for me to be thinking of this stuff. I'll check back in a couple of years when i start freaking out for real :p

Yea well I am a freshman you guys got it...
It wasn't hard to guess. Again, high school grades and college grades only share one thing in common: their names. Nothing else about them is anything close to being the same

Thanks for your input!

Getting a perfect GPA in high school is nowhere near comparable to getting a perfect GPA at UCLA or any college. Get around a 3.7+ and you'll be fine--and this is much easier said than done. I've never met anyone (or ever heard of a case of someone) with a perfect GPA at UCLA. After securing this GPA, competitiveness for "top-tiers" will depend more on your ECs and MCAT score.