UCLA vs MWU-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jldentaleve

Reaction score
Hello!

I was blessed to be accepted into both UCLA and MWU-AZ dental school. It has been hard for me to make up my decision as to which school to attend. I'm not planning to specialize. It would be great if I can get some insights as well as some advices from you guys. Greatly appreciated!

ps: I will receive HPSP scholarship so the tuition would not be a factor in deciding which school to attend.

UCLA Pros: I graduated from UCLA for undergrad, very nice environment and my family live in LA area, (close to support system). UCLA has always been my dream school, and I worked super hard to try to get in. The school is prestigious, faculty member are very reputable, and is P/F system.
Cons: The clinical experience isn't the best. Some of my friends who goes to UCLA suggested me to go somewhere else with better clinical experience since I'm not planning to specialize. They don't have large patient pool and you might have hard time to find patient, plus the facilities seem old.

MWU-AZ Pros: MWU-AZ has the top clinical experience in the nation. During my time in interview, I was fascinated by their facilities and opportunities they provided for students to maximize clinical experience (they allow student to do implants). It is a great school to train to be a general dentist.
Cons: The area is not quite attractive/boring, not too much activities around that area. It would be a new environment for me. Speaking in term of reputation, the school is not very reputable compare to UCLA. Not too much opportunities for specialization (in case I change my mind in the future).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

I was blessed to be accepted into both UCLA and MWU-AZ dental school. It has been hard for me to make up my decision as to which school to attend. I'm not planning to specialize. It would be great if I can get some insights as well as some advices from you guys. Greatly appreciated!

ps: I will receive HPSP scholarship so the tuition would not be a factor in deciding which school to attend.

UCLA Pros: I graduated from UCLA for undergrad, very nice environment and my family live in LA area, (close to support system). UCLA has always been my dream school, and I worked super hard to try to get in. The school is prestigious, faculty member are very reputable, and is P/F system.
Cons: The clinical experience isn't the best. Some of my friends who goes to UCLA suggested me to go somewhere else with better clinical experience since I'm not planning to specialize. They don't have large patient pool and you might have hard time to find patient, plus the facilities seem old.

MWU-AZ Pros: MWU-AZ has the top clinical experience in the nation. During my time in interview, I was fascinated by their facilities and opportunities they provided for students to maximize clinical experience (they allow student to do implants). It is a great school to train to be a general dentist.
Cons: The area is not quite attractive/boring, not too much activities around that area. It would be a new environment for me. Speaking in term of reputation, the school is not very reputable compare to UCLA. Not too much opportunities for specialization (in case I change my mind in the future).
You can specialize from any school.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask you the reason?
UCLA is P/F, much better for specializing, better name, and significantly cheaper. You can worry about getting superior clinical experience during residency, but UCLA will set you up better for the long term future

UCLA is P/F, much better for specializing, better name, and significantly cheaper. You can worry about getting superior clinical experience during residency, but UCLA will set you up better for the long term future
If I’m not planning for specializing and want to go straight to work after school, would UCLA still be the right choice?

California. Would it be difficult to come back if I go out of state for school?
no but it’s better to build connections while in dental school and ucla is a big name in california. i know midwestern has a better clinical experience but would you be happy living in arizona for 4 years? i’m from la too and arizona is a lot different. pick the place you’ll be happiest both are great schools!

Reactions: 1 user
UCLA is a no-brainer, it opens more doors for your career-wise and gives you more financial freedom. If you don't want to specialize you can still do a year of residency to build your clinical skills. Many people have told me no school prepares you well until you actually start practicing as a dentist.

Reactions: 1 user