UCLA vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcshow2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may be jumping the gun a tad, being that I haven't even been invited for an interview at UCSF. I interviewed at UCLA last weekend and liked it a lot, but if it came down to LA vs. SF I wouldn't know which way to go.

I want to specialize in ortho or pedo, i'm not sure how UCLA's pass/no pass would hurt or help me in that regard. I was just curious to see what everyone else thought about the side by side comparison of the two schools. Your comments and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, whenever doing a side by side school comparison, what selection factors do you all think are important? (e.g. tuition price, chair time in clinic, facilities, housing, city location, stressed out second year student feedback, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

mcshow2 said:
I may be jumping the gun a tad, being that I haven't even been invited for an interview at UCSF. I interviewed at UCLA last weekend and liked it a lot, but if it came down to LA vs. SF I wouldn't know which way to go.

I want to specialize in ortho or pedo, i'm not sure how UCLA's pass/no pass would hurt or help me in that regard. I was just curious to see what everyone else thought about the side by side comparison of the two schools. Your comments and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Also, whenever doing a side by side school comparison, what selection factors do you all think are important? (e.g. tuition price, chair time in clinic, facilities, housing, city location, stressed out second year student feedback, etc.)

UCSF is also pass/no pass. I love both UCSF and UCLA. It'll be an honor to study at either one. My top picks are UCSF and UPENN. UCLA and UCSF are both great schools but I'd choose UCSF and UPENN over UCLA because UCSF seems to have so much money and many resources for a few students (Total # of students (all majors) = 2,800). The faculty-staff / student ratio is remarkable:
Number of students: 2,800
Number of Faculty and Staff: 18,600 full- and part-time
18,600 / 2,800 = 6.6
Annual budget is 2.3 billion dollars and it only has 2,800 students (all majors combined) :eek:
Plus, UCSF has a ton of patients. At UCSF each lecture is also recorded and available online. UCSF School of Dentistry has the second highest expenditure per student. UCSF has numerous top scientists. It's amazing! Just look at some of its accomplishments:
* UCSF, a pioneer in the field of human embryonic stem cell research, is one of only two academic institutions in the nation that derived human embryonic stem cells that qualified for inclusion on the National Institutes of Health Stem Cell Registry (2001). The University is now making these cells available to scientists around the world for studies on the potential of embryonic stem cells for treating such diseases as diabetes and heart disease.
*Three of UCSF scientists have won the Nobel Prize:
o Stanley Prusiner: won the prize for his discovery of the prion, a novel infectious pathogen that causes a group of fatal neurodegenerative diseases, including bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or "mad cow" disease. The discovery could lead to insights into more common neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's diseases.
o J. Michael Bishop and Harold Varmus won the prize for the discovery of proto-oncogenes, normal genes that they showed had the potential to convert to cancer genes. The discovery transformed the way that scientists look at cancer and is leading to new strategies for detection and treatment.

Other discoveries:

* UCSF scientists discovered that gene activity can be manipulated to alter lifespan, evidenced by research showing that changes in a singe gene in the roundworm more than doubled the creature's life span.
* UCSF scientists co-discovered telomerase, a novel enzyme now a central focus of study as a target for treating cancer and age-related and degenerative disorders.
* UCSF scientists co-discovered HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), the virus that causes AIDS.
* UCSF scientists conducted the first successful corrective procedure on a baby still in the mother's womb, pioneering the clinical specialty of fetal diagnosis and in utero treatment.
* UCSF scientists developed an artificial lung coating called surfactant, revolutionizing treatment for premature infants, thereby significantly reducing infant mortality rates.
* UCSF scientists cloned the gene for human growth hormone, setting the stage for genetically engineered human growth hormone.
* UCSF scientists developed a cochlear implant device that enables the deaf to hear.
* UCSF scientists isolated the gene for insulin, leading to the mass production of genetically engineered insulin to treat diabetes.
* UCSF scientists developed liposomes, microscopic sacs that can safely transport drugs within the body.
* UCSF scientists developed an improved magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) device for detecting and monitoring disease.
* UCSF scientists developed prenatal tests for sickle-cell anemia and thalassemia.
* UCSF scientists co-discovered recombinant DNA techniques, the fundamental first step in the creation of the biotechnology industry.

dat_student said:
UCSF is also pass/no pass. I love both UCSF and UCLA. It'll be an honor to study at either one. My top picks are UCSF and UPENN. UCLA and UCSF are both great schools but I'd choose UCSF and UPENN over UCLA because UCSF seems to have so much money and many resources for a few students (Total # of students (all majors) = 2,800). The faculty-staff / student ratio is remarkable:
18,600 / 2,800 = 6.6
Annual budget is 2.3 billion dollars and it only has 2,800 students (all majors combined) :eek:
Plus, UCSF has a ton of patients. At UCSF each lecture is also recorded and available online. UCSF School of Dentistry has the second highest expenditure per student. UCSF has numerous top scientists. It's amazing! Just look at some of its accomplishments:
* UCSF, a pioneer in the field of human embryonic stem cell research, is one of only two academic institutions in the nation that derived human embryonic stem cells that qualified for inclusion on the National Institutes of Health Stem Cell Registry (2001). The University is now making these cells available to scientists around the world for studies on the potential of embryonic stem cells for treating such diseases as diabetes and heart disease.
o Stanley Prusiner: won the prize for his discovery of the prion, a novel infectious pathogen that causes a group of fatal neurodegenerative diseases, including bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or "mad cow" disease. The discovery could lead to insights into more common neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's diseases.
o J. Michael Bishop and Harold Varmus won the prize for the discovery of proto-oncogenes, normal genes that they showed had the potential to convert to cancer genes. The discovery transformed the way that scientists look at cancer and is leading to new strategies for detection and treatment.

Other discoveries:

* UCSF scientists discovered that gene activity can be manipulated to alter lifespan, evidenced by research showing that changes in a singe gene in the roundworm more than doubled the creature's life span.
* UCSF scientists co-discovered telomerase, a novel enzyme now a central focus of study as a target for treating cancer and age-related and degenerative disorders.
* UCSF scientists co-discovered HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), the virus that causes AIDS.
* UCSF scientists conducted the first successful corrective procedure on a baby still in the mother's womb, pioneering the clinical specialty of fetal diagnosis and in utero treatment.
* UCSF scientists developed an artificial lung coating called surfactant, revolutionizing treatment for premature infants, thereby significantly reducing infant mortality rates.
* UCSF scientists cloned the gene for human growth hormone, setting the stage for genetically engineered human growth hormone.
* UCSF scientists developed a cochlear implant device that enables the deaf to hear.
* UCSF scientists isolated the gene for insulin, leading to the mass production of genetically engineered insulin to treat diabetes.
* UCSF scientists developed liposomes, microscopic sacs that can safely transport drugs within the body.
* UCSF scientists developed an improved magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) device for detecting and monitoring disease.
* UCSF scientists developed prenatal tests for sickle-cell anemia and thalassemia.
* UCSF scientists co-discovered recombinant DNA techniques, the fundamental first step in the creation of the biotechnology industry.

my my, u have done your research pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:
... At UCSF each lecture is also recorded and available online.
That is not always true, but they are trying. One more thing to add, professors are very approachable.
Although UCSF offers more pluses, it may be harder to get accepted to UCLA than UCSF. UCLA seems to care more about numbers. Also I heard UCLA has had problems with patient pool. It may not be true, but I heard. So don't quote me on that : ) Regardless, (IMO) either one is a great school to be attending.

dat_student said:
18,600 / 2,800 = 6.6

Other discoveries:

dat_student lives in the Matrix that has 96 hour days...that explains why he has so much free time to look up pointless information like this...just in case anyone was wondering...he's the ONE. Neo.

dat_student said:
18,600 / 2,800 = 6.6

Other discoveries:

Thanks for the info... Are you sure that UCSF is pass/ no pass? I have never heard that before. I know they didn't used to be.

Also, were you at UCLA this past weekend? I was, just wanted to know what you thought about the day etc. of you were.

luder98 said:
That is not always true, but they are trying. One more thing to add, professors are very approachable.
Although UCSF offers more pluses, it may be harder to get accepted to UCLA than UCSF. UCLA seems to care more about numbers.

Also I heard UCLA has had problems with patient pool. It may not be true, but I heard. So don't quote me on that : ) Regardless, (IMO) either one is a great school to be attending.

UCLA was my #1 choice before I heard the following directly from UCLA students, graduates and professors:

#1) UCLA doesn't have too many patients because it is in an affluent area.

#2) Some students pay patients to come to UCLA in order to satisfy requirements.

#3) UCLA students do not do well on Board Exam Part II which is the clinical exam.

#4) Also, I've heard UCLA has financial difficulties because the state of California has financial difficulties.

#5) UCLA students do not learn to do many of the procedures that are done by students at other universities. Many procedures are done by outside labs.

#6) I always thought UCLA is in top 5 in the research arena but UCLA told me UCLA receives the 10th-12th highest NIH funding [UCSF, UPENN, & UMD are in top 5]

*Bottom line: UCLA doesn't seem to be great clinically

Why is UCLA still amongst my top 4 choices?

UCLA students do well on Board Exam Part I and its DAT numbers are a bit higher than UCSF and UPENN numbers:

.....................UCLA(2005)*..vs......UCSF(2005)*...vs.......UPENN (2004/2003)*
Overall GPA......3.56.....................3.46.......................3.59/3.53
Science GPA.....3.50.....................3.40.......................3.54/3.46
AA..................21.6.....................20.3.......................20/19
TS..................21.8.....................????.......................20/19
PAT.................18.5....................18.3.......................17/17

*NOTE: in 2004 UCSF and UCLA numbers were higher.

I have absolutely no clue why UCLA numbers are more competitive despite all the problems. A UCLA professor told me that students choose UCSF or UCLA for geographic reasons. Southern California (esp. LA area) is more populated. Hence, we have more competition. That may not be a good reason. If you look at UCSF School of Medicine vs UCLA School of Medicine you see that UCSF School of Medicine is a lot more competitive. Someone told me that in the past UCSF gave letter grades but UCLA gave Pass/No Pass and students found Pass/No Pass more attractive. That also makes no sense because now the grading system for both schools is Pass/No Pass. Again, I have absolutely no idea why UCLA numbers are higher.

dat_student said:
UCLA was my #1 choice before I heard the following directly from UCLA students, graduates and professors:

#2) Some students pay patients to come to UCLA in order to satisfy requirements.

#3) UCLA students do not do well on Board Exam Part II which is the clinical exam.

#4) Also, I've heard UCLA has financial difficulties because the state of California has financial difficulties.

#5) UCLA students do not learn to do many of the procedures that are done by students at other universities. Many procedures are done by outside labs.

#6) I always thought UCLA is in top 5 in the research arena but UCLA told me UCLA receives the 10th-12th highest NIH funding [UCSF, UPENN, & UMD are in top 5]

UCLA students do well on Board Exam Part I and its DAT numbers are a bit higher than UCSF and UPENN numbers:

.....................UCLA(2005)*..vs......UCSF(2005)*...vs.......UPENN (2004/2003)*

I have absolutely no clue why UCLA numbers are more competitive despite all the problems. A UCLA professor told me that students choose UCSF or UCLA for geographic reasons. Southern California (esp. LA area) is more populated. Hence, we have more competition. That may not be a good reason. If you look at UCSF School of Medicine vs UCLA School of Medicine you see that UCSF School of Medicine is a lot more competitive. Someone told me that in the past UCSF gave letter grades but UCLA gave Pass/No Pass and students found Pass/No Pass more attractive. That also makes no sense because now the grading system for both schools is Pass/No Pass. Again, I have absolutely no idea why UCLA numbers are higher.

....I meant 196 hours...

dat_student: you are the king of numbers...

Apparently, dat_student knows a lot about UCLA than me. jk.

Yes, both UC are pass/fail. while the strangest thing is that our P/F is not quite P/F. nobody fails. u should ask the sch about this grading system (EPR).

So based on your experience, what you hear might not be entirely true. Does UCLA still have a patient pool problem? As far as i know, UCSF has their first patient(not student subjects) during their 3rd year. I m in process to schedule 3 cleaning, perio and restorative consult. And waiting on my restorative cases(while many of my classmates have done amalgam or composite already). next quarter we will do fixed prosth and denture the quarter after that. then summer quarter we will dive into clinics and so on.

one thing about 2nd year. we practically living at school. a lot of us stay after sch. this wk, i have not gone home earlier than 9. some time we stayed until they kick us out at 11 or 12. Tons of people are practicing during weekends. And, we have a full course load of didactic lectures and tests. Get used to the 12 midterms and finals in a week. So, that explains why i havent had a chance to read all this post. this is way too early to decide the two schools. so just enjoy life for now and help out the potential good dentist to get into dental sch

mcshow2 said:
Thanks for the info... Are you sure that UCSF is pass/ no pass? I have never heard that before. I know they didn't used to be.

Also, were you at UCLA this past weekend? I was, just wanted to know what you thought about the day etc. of you were.

dat_student said:

Once again, this is totally wrong. Poor people are not our only patients. We have patients from all socioeconomic groups. And all of them drive automobiles. This is LA afterall. Public transport is pathetic.

dat_student said:

Yes, this happens occasionally. It happens at plenty of dental schools and I'm sure UCSF is not immune. Imagine this: it's April of 4th year and you've spent 10 hours in lab prepping an RPD case. The patient says, "I can't afford this." Of course you're pay some of the cost. It happens all over, including international dental schools (e.g. Mexico).

dat_student said:

This is wrong. We do well. We just don't study as hard as we do for Part I, because it is IRRELEVANT. Part II has absolutely no importance as long as you pass. Maybe if you fail to match at your residency spot and have to reapply they might look at it, but that's it.

dat_student said:

Duh. We're a state school. California is fiscally challenged right now. But our tuition is $25K/year. I don't know why you think UCSF would be immune to this.

dat_student said:

Again, wrong. Our clinical education in comprehensive. Furthermore, if there's something you want to do and can demonstrate your interest and capability, you can do it. Case in point: I have 2 full mouth reconstruction cases right now. And I'm a 3rd year. That means crowning every tooth on the occlusal plane. Frankly, it should go to the prosthodontics residents, but they're letting me do it.

If you're talking about having to do your own labwork you have no idea how lucky we are that we can send our crowns and bridges to a lab to be fabricated. We waxed up and casted 5 gold crowns in pre-clinical lab and I don't miss doing that at all. You'll spend so much extra time in lab it's ridiculous. We have to wax up our RPDs and dentures, but if we could send them to the lab I guarantee everyone would. I'm sure students at schools where they do all their labwork are envious of schools where you send your labwork out. That was actually one of the reasons I chose UCLA over UCSF. I didn't want to be stuck in the lab spending my time as a lab tech. I've got more important things to do.

dat_student said:

I don't know the details on money. UCLA is exceptionally strong in research. To say otherwise is absurd. Everyone and their mother does research here. One of our current 4th years just won 1st place at the ADA student research conference.

dat_student said:

Again, our clinical education is comprehensive. I have no doubt that I will be as prepared to practice dentistry as any graduate of any dental school in the world. I feel comfortable saying that our education in prosthodontics (especially removable pros) is one of the most rigorous in the country. Frankly, this is the knowledge base that restorative dentistry is built upon.

dat_student said:

Our numbers are higher because we accept people with higher GPAs and DATs and they subsequently choose to attend UCLA. Why do they choose to come here? The answer is obvious to me: great education, great location, great specialty matching, great people, great price.

I explained this on my last post.

I am not aware of that, but the sch gives fixed amount of funds for each students for some paitents who lack funding.

Unless u dont score well on Part I, part II is completely useless. BTW, our average for part I is 92, which has direct correlation to how the sch beats us down and reshape us into a test taker/strict memorizing machine

the whole UC system has problem. with arnold making all those cuts, can u really tell we aint affected?

i have no idea what you mean.
We dont have much implants and invisalin or biolase. but at the same time, we have very traditional/old school techniques which nobody else at another sch has ever heard of. we love gold too. so we getta do things like three quarters, 7/8 crowns. amazingly, with our curriculum, it would be more sane to send it to a lab. unfortunately, they have just increased the lab requirement, so later on, we will have to do a lot more labwork and cut down ur time to breathe.

look at the trend. ucla is the quickest climbing institute.
http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/DentalSchools/GrantstoDentalInstitutions2004.htm
from nidcr, we are actually number "5" if u only count among dental schools. but we are at number 7 overall. penn is 14 and umd is top 20.

u might want to update the stats (things can change within a year) stats from 2005 is not reliable any more. i m very surprised why harvard is not mentioned.

i know there are pros and cons from each school. but please find a reliable source. cos making the right decision is very important in your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to know about UCLA research? Here are some links straight off our website (http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu):

Our student research awards:
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/NewsEvents/main.asp?id=224
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/NewsEvents/main.asp?id=549

Stats on money:
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/NewsEvents/main.asp?id=550

Rankings based on money:
http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/Funding/DentalSchools/GrantstoDentalInstitutions2004.htm

It took 5 minutes to find this information.

On a side note, don't be so sure research funding rank correlates to your prospects of doing meaningful research while in dental school. I think you'd have as great, if not better, chance at doing cutting edge research at Harvard (which ranked 34th) as you would at Florida (which ranked 6th). Remember, this does not indicate the quantity of research at any given institution. There could be 10 HUGE grants for 10 studies or 100 smaller grants for 100 studies. Less costly studies are not necessarily less significant. Often the most elegant research is that which is planned and executed efficiently, financially as well as otherwise. Case in point: California's budget is huge but that doesn't mean we spend it efficiently.

drhobie7 said:
Case in point: California's budget is huge but that doesn't mean we spend it efficiently.

You can say the same about Harvard Med School :D

drhobie7 said:
Rankings based on money:

It took 5 minutes to find this information.
I think you'd have as great, if not better, chance at doing cutting edge research at Harvard (which ranked 34th) as you would at Florida (which ranked 6th)...

drhobie7 Thanks a million for the info. At this point, I am just hoping that I get just one acceptance letter ;) It's hard to choose a dental school. There are so many great dental schools.

P.S.
Harvard is probably not #34. I think FORSYTH INSTITUTE (i.e. #3) is associated with Harvard. [FORSYTH INSTITUTE is not a dental school]
Is nidcr* funding the same as total NIH funding? UCSF School of Dentistry claims to have received $28 million dollars from NIH for one fiscal year ($28,000,000 > $13,146,273)

*nidcr = National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research

http://dentistry.ucsf.edu/about/about_fact.html

"The School of Dentistry ranks first among all U.S. dental schools in research funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This amounted to $28 million for FY 2003. The school has held this first-place ranking for the past 13 years."

dat_student said:
...#2
Is nidcr* funding the same as total NIH funding? UCSF School of Dentistry claims to have received $28 million dollars from NIH for one fiscal year ($28,000,000 > $13,146,273)

*nidcr = National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research

Total NIH awards is not the same as total NIDCR grants.

Total NIH awards for 2003 (Dental Schools):
http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/trends/dhedent03.htm

1) UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO..........$28,011,139
2) UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALT ................... ......$11,449,837
3) UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA.................................$10,721,473
4) UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON...............................$10,419,185
5) UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN ANN ARBOR....................$10,256,018
6) UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA.............................$8,999,395
9) UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES..............$6,809,458

*NOTE: for 2004 NIH only reports the NIDCR
*NOTE: No DATA for 2005

Dental Schools (Ranking based on NIDCR grants, 2004)
Rank.......Institution................................................FY 2004 Amount
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1)UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO............$13,146,273
2)UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN AT ANN ARBOR.................$11,411,180
3)FORSYTH INSTITUTE[Harvard]..............................$9,743,912
4)UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER...................................$8,334,664
5)UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON.................................$7,887,328
6)UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA........................................$7,529,481
7)UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES.................$7,211,027
8)UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TWIN CITIES..................$6,201,972
9)UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL...........$5,960,219
10)UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HLTH SCI CTR SAN ANT.........$4,950,274

Dental Schools (Ranking based on NIDCR grants, 2003)
Rank...Institution..................................................FY 2003 Amount
1.......FORSYTH INSTITUTE [Harvard]....................12,161,236
2.......UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO....11,661,858
3.......UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TWIN CITIES.........10,097,243
4.......UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON.........................9,672,718
5.......UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN AT ANN ARBOR..........8,543,202
6.......UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL...7,399,102
7.......UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER............................6,979,032
8.......UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA.................................5,743,871
9.......UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.............5,578,944
10.....UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA........................5,250,172
11.....UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES.........5,015,382

dat_student said:
drhobie7 Thanks a million for the info. At this point, I am just hoping that I get just one acceptance letter ;) It's hard to choose a dental school. There are so many great dental schools.

P.S.
Harvard is probably not #34. I think FORSYTH INSTITUTE (i.e. #3) is associated with Harvard. [FORSYTH INSTITUTE is not a dental school]

You may be correct but I'm not sure if you'd be able to piggyback on some researcher at an institution outside the dental school.

dat_student said:
Is nidcr* funding the same as total NIH funding?

Nope. And neither is NIH funding the same as total funding. There are plenty of other agencies that award research grants. Regardless, you are way too wrapped up in how much money a school gets in research grants. What would be more useful is finding out the current projects at some schools and seeing if there's one that you really want to work with. You're not going to get to a school like UCSF/Washington/Florida, set up your own research lab, and secure grants. You'll be working under someone. Why not know before hand if there's a project that really interests you?

drhobie7 said:
You may be correct but I'm not sure if you'd be able to piggyback on some researcher at an institution outside the dental school.

Nope. And neither is NIH funding the same as total funding. There are plenty of other agencies that award research grants. Regardless, you are way too wrapped up in how much money a school gets in research grants. What would be more useful is finding out the current projects at some schools and seeing if there's one that you really want to work with. You're not going to get to a school like UCSF/Washington/Florida, set up your own research lab, and secure grants. You'll be working under someone. Why not know before hand if there's a project that really interests you?

Excellent advice. Thanks a million

dat_student said:
Excellent advice. Thanks a million

No prob. You can take it one step further and email the project/lab director with whom you are interested in working. You might be able to get some clue as to his personality before committing to a school. If there's someone you've got your heart set on working with, try to find out if he is the type of person you wouldn't mind being around for extended periods.

There is a difference based on money alone. Since the sch takes a cut on research funding, more grants mean the sch has more money contributed from research. For UCLA, you can see a steady growth and gradually moving up the rank every year.

I know UCSF really stresses on research. What I mean is that they really want their studnets to get involved with research. Cheaper labor, I guess.

For ucla, the curriculum is contraindicated to come up with sufficient hours to do quality research. So, the sch doesnt really care and the students need to be really motivated to get into a lab and work much harder than everybody else to stay alive.

dat_student said:
Total NIH awards is not the same as total NIDCR grants.

Total NIH awards for 2003 (Dental Schools):
http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/trends/dhedent03.htm

1) UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO..........$28,011,139
2) UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND BALT ................... ......$11,449,837
3) UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA.................................$10,721,473
4) UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON...............................$10,419,185
5) UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN ANN ARBOR....................$10,256,018
6) UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA.............................$8,999,395
9) UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES..............$6,809,458

*NOTE: for 2004 NIH only reports the NIDCR
*NOTE: No DATA for 2005

Dental Schools (Ranking based on NIDCR grants, 2004)
Rank.......Institution................................................FY 2004 Amount
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1)UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO............$13,146,273
2)UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN AT ANN ARBOR.................$11,411,180
3)FORSYTH INSTITUTE[Harvard]..............................$9,743,912
4)UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER...................................$8,334,664
5)UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON.................................$7,887,328
6)UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA........................................$7,529,481
7)UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES.................$7,211,027
8)UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TWIN CITIES..................$6,201,972
9)UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL...........$5,960,219
10)UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HLTH SCI CTR SAN ANT.........$4,950,274

Dental Schools (Ranking based on NIDCR grants, 2003)
Rank...Institution..................................................FY 2003 Amount
1.......FORSYTH INSTITUTE [Harvard]....................12,161,236
2.......UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SAN FRANCISCO....11,661,858
3.......UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA TWIN CITIES.........10,097,243
4.......UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON.........................9,672,718
5.......UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN AT ANN ARBOR..........8,543,202
6.......UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA CHAPEL HILL...7,399,102
7.......UNIVERSITY OF ROCHESTER............................6,979,032
8.......UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA.................................5,743,871
9.......UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.............5,578,944
10.....UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA........................5,250,172
11.....UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES.........5,015,382

ecdoesit said:
I know UCSF really stresses on research. What I mean is that they really want their studnets to get involved with research. Cheaper labor, I guess.
That's not accurate. Although the school wants to see some of their students turn out to be scientists, that is not their main goal. Their main goal is to produce men/women of science.

luder98 said:
That's not accurate. Although the school wants to see some of their students turn out to be scientists, that is not their main goal. Their main goal is to produce men/women of science.

The awful truth is that schools cannot make enough money from the clinics, considering how much money schools have to invest in for the initial cost to maintain the clinics. On the other hand, grants from research are the largest financial resource for schools because a prof can get a few big grants in a year. How many fillings does a clinician have to do in order to earn 250K? For a research scientist, he/she can get a few of those grants in a year, of course, if he/she is a well-known scientist. UCSF's main goal is to nurture potential faculty members who will actively involve in research.

dat_student said:
18,600 / 2,800 = 6.6

Other discoveries:

Uh, cool list of stuff DAT-student..... but please let me know how this will relate to YOUR DENTAL EDUCATION. last time I checked you couldn't cure sickle-cell anemia through the teeth..... why don't you bless a medical school with your presence and leave a dental school slot open for someone who cares about dentistry.

mcshow2 said:

UCSF is also going to be pass/no-pass, just FYI. I think UCSF is a much better school.

ajpak23 said:
UCSF is also going to be pass/no-pass, just FYI. I think UCSF is a much better school.

Thanks, any particular reasons why?

Honestly, I have met the officials at both schools, been to both schools on multiple occasions and I just feel that UCSF is a better school.

ajpak23 said:
Honestly, I have met the officials at both schools, been to both schools on multiple occasions and I just feel that UCSF is a better school.

Fair enough. I hope UCSF gives me a chance to do the same. The a-holes sent me an email last week saying "your application is now complete and ready for review" when I sent the secondary back in sept. Bastards! haha... If only they knew what they did to all of our stress levels.

I'm a DS1 at UCLA and just came back from a 5 hour hike at Will Rogers State Park. It is 20 minutes drive away. The park has beautiful panoramic views of the ocean and the city. At twilight, you can see the city lights. Absolutely beautiful, makes all the hardwork at UCLA worthwhile.

hardwork? 4 midterms and with so much free time to study aint the meaning of hardwork. please understand the sch is being very very loose on class of 2009. i hope u guys wont be like me that i lose my interest in learning. the good news is that at least the sch listens to us after x years of complaining(from previous classes).

jk5177 said:
I'm a DS1 at UCLA and just came back from a 5 hour hike at Will Rogers State Park. It is 20 minutes drive away. The park has beautiful panoramic views of the ocean and the city. At twilight, you can see the city lights. Absolutely beautiful, makes all the hardwork at UCLA worthwhile.

ecdoesit said:
BTW, our average for part I is 92, which has direct correlation to how the sch beats us down and reshape us into a test taker/strict memorizing machine
lol. true indeed. true indeed.

ecdoesit said:
one thing about 2nd year. we practically living at school. a lot of us stay after sch. this wk, i have not gone home earlier than 9. some time we stayed until they kick us out at 11 or 12. Tons of people are practicing during weekends. And, we have a full course load of didactic lectures and tests. Get used to the 12 midterms and finals in a week.
I'll keep that in mind as I breeze through my DS 1/4.

One thing that people haven't mentioned is the geographical location and the campus. You will be at the school for the next four years, wouldn't you say that the campus life, location, weather makes some sort of a difference? Even remotely? After 12 hours of school, wouldn't you want a place to go that's fun? Well, here is my breakdown from a non-academic perspective

UCLA *UCSF
A whole campus! *Only a graduate programs
Many student groups *Not as many student groups
Footbal team *No football team
Intercollegiate sports *No intercollegiate sports
A whole workout gym *Small workout gym
Better weather *Good weather, but not as sunny
Great city *Great city as well
Vegetarian friendly *Not as vegetarian friendly
Not as much ethnic food *Many ethnic food nearby
Everything far apart *Everything closer together
Beach nearby *Beach nearby
Not as gay friendly *More gay friendly
Dean not as available *Dean "seems" more available

(Trying to create columns, but that doesn't work)

jk5177 said:
One thing that people haven't mentioned is the geographical location and the campus. You will be at the school for the next four years, wouldn't you say that the campus life, location, weather makes some sort of a difference? Even remotely? After 12 hours of school, wouldn't you want a place to go that's fun? Well, here is my breakdown from a non-academic perspective

UCLA *UCSF

Don't forget:
Fewer hippies. *Way more hippies.

jk5177 said:

not vegetarian friendly? um, have u been to sf?

netsn06 said:
not vegetarian friendly? um, have u been to sf?

Yeah, SF is definitely vegan friendly. Of course this is directly associated with the increased hippies. :)

(Have you seen the South Park episode where Cartman is the hippie exterminator? So good.)

shinji said:
The awful truth is that schools cannot make enough money from the clinics, considering how much money schools have to invest in for the initial cost to maintain the clinics. On the other hand, grants from research are the largest financial resource for schools because a prof can get a few big grants in a year. How many fillings does a clinician have to do in order to earn 250K? For a research scientist, he/she can get a few of those grants in a year, of course, if he/she is a well-known scientist. UCSF's main goal is to nurture potential faculty members who will actively involve in research.
If you had read my post correctly, you would have noticed that it was regarding the students and what the school wants to do with them.

For those who are still waiting to hear from UCSF, calm down and relax : ) The school has not interviewed many (roughly 50 or so) and they plan to accept about less than 50% of their class on Dec 1st. Just like last year, they want to give everyone a chance. On the other hand, compared to this time of last year, there are about 400 more applicants. So, it's definitely more competitive this year.

jk5177 said:

UCLA *UCSF

I would like to correct you on a couple things, the amount of student groups we have is sufficient to keep our hands more than busy and keep us fed almost everyday with free food at student group meetings. We also have many intercollegiate sports, as a matter of fact we have pretty much every sport we had while I was at UCLA. We have 2 gyms, one which just got done being built that rivals if not better than wooden center.

DREDAY said:
We also have many intercollegiate sports, as a matter of fact we have pretty much every sport we had while I was at UCLA.

Oh yeah?! Well you don't have a football team that gets its ass kicked by U of A! :barf:

But seriously, UCSF has Division I sports? I know this isn't true. Our football team may suck, but basketball is looking pretty sweet. And of course if you like watching volleyball, soccer, water polo, or baseball UCLA is always at the top. Div I not club.

I can't believe JK forgot the most important difference: coeds. Oh my god, I love walking around main campus.

drhobie7 said:
I can't believe JK forgot the most important difference: coeds. Oh my god, I love walking around main campus.

My excuse is... (wait, I don't have an excuse)

DREDAY said:
I would like to correct you on a couple things, the amount of student groups we have is sufficient to keep our hands more than busy and keep us fed almost everyday with free food at student group meetings. We also have many intercollegiate sports, as a matter of fact we have pretty much every sport we had while I was at UCLA. We have 2 gyms, one which just got done being built that rivals if not better than wooden center.

You silly little salsa machine, you are thinking about intramural (sp?) not intercollegiate...Ofcourse jk5167 will have a bias, he does go to UCLA. I love it here at UCSF, and I think that the majority of students feel the same way. Most of my friends chose SF over LA, but I;m sure the same can be said about the D1's at UCLA. One thing that doesn't compare is the view from the clinics...golden gate bridge, ocean, hills and all...

nothen2do said:
You silly little salsa machine, you are thinking about intramural (sp?) not intercollegiate...Ofcourse jk5167 will have a bias, he does go to UCLA. I love it here at UCSF, and I think that the majority of students feel the same way. Most of my friends chose SF over LA, but I;m sure the same can be said about the D1's at UCLA. One thing that doesn't compare is the view from the clinics...golden gate bridge, ocean, hills and all...

I'm more interested on the views on campus... you know the legs, rear ends, tight jeans, low cut shirts etc. Any decent looking women running around at ucsf? You UCLA people... any nice girls for you? (I'm talking about girls in SoCal that you can actually pull if you don't own 14 BMW's and a private jet.)

:love:

mcshow2 said:
You UCLA people... any nice girls for you? (I'm talking about girls in SoCal that you can actually pull if you don't own 14 BMW's and a private jet.)

:love:

Hahaha! They're coeds not playmates! :D

nothen2do said:
One thing that doesn't compare is the view from the clinics...golden gate bridge, ocean, hills and all...

....the hippies. :D

luder98 said:
If you had read my post correctly, you would have noticed that it was regarding the students and what the school wants to do with them.

For those who are still waiting to hear from UCSF, calm down and relax : ) The school has not interviewed many (roughly 50 or so) and they plan to accept about less than 50% of their class on Dec 1st. Just like last year, they want to give everyone a chance. On the other hand, compared to this time of last year, there are about 400 more applicants. So, it's definitely more competitive this year.

Luder, do you happen to know how many DDS/PhD applicants have been interviewed?

There are homeless people in Westwood, and that's the same as UCSF, but they don't seem to climb up to the hills very much at UCSF.

The other thing is that UCLA has... drhobie, ecdoesit, and jk5177.

I concur. UCSF has some nice scenic views, the view from the clinic is absolutely gorgeous. At UCLA, I don't know where on campus can I get a view like that. Oh, there is a nice view of the cemetary across from Weyburn. Good deal, reminds you of the fragility of life, we are only few minutes away from death - what is the number... brain damage after 5 minutes without O2? (Thread hijacker on board)

jk5177 said:
There are homeless people in Westwood, and that's the same as UCSF, but they don't seem to climb up to the hills very much at UCSF.

jk5177, I have gone to UCLA School of Dentistry a few times. I don't see any patients every time I go. Do patients sit in the waiting area next to the admissions office (i.e. Level B: Basement)? Are they on Level A? Where are the patients?!!!!

jk5177 said:

The other thing is that UCLA has... drhobie, ecdoesit, and jk5177.

I concur. UCSF has some nice scenic views, the view from the clinic is absolutely gorgeous. At UCLA, I don't know where on campus can I get a view like that. Oh, there is a nice view of the cemetary across from Weyburn. Good deal, reminds you of the fragility of life, we are only few minutes away from death - what is the number... brain damage after 5 minutes without O2? (Thread hijacker on board)

if you want a nice view of the city, head over to hedrick hall (over on the northwest side of campus), go to the 7th floor student lounge and enjoy either the smoggy/sparkling lights of the city.

dat_student said:
jk5177, I have gone to UCLA School of Dentistry a few times. I don't see any patients every time I go. Do patients sit in the waiting area next to the admissions office (i.e. Level B: Basement)? Are they on Level A? Where are the patients?!!!!

Thats because UCLA doesnt have any patients, they only do work on dummies.