UCLA'S clinic volunteer program...what is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know what the (dental) clinic volunteer program at ucla is about? do u assist with procedures? like what do u do in it? just watch and do filing?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not too sure what they do out at UCLA but here at the UF dental clinic I volunteer at, you pretty much watch over the dental students (you can get to know a few and gives you a chance to get your face in with the faculty). I enjoy it alot, but I know some people who are pre-med and are only volunteering in the dental clinics so that next semester they have top choice at a medical specialty, like ER or pediatrics (apparently they signed up late or something). Its really up to the dental student as to how much you can do, I've stuck my fingers in people's mouths (gloves on of course), flossed a man's teeth, and help make the composite and other things...not sure if I'm "allowed" to do this however. All in all its a fun experience, and gives you an opp. to see if you'd really like to be a dental student...minus the studying... :D

Some of the rotations are very boring (ie. chartroom), but it gets better as you go through the teaching labs and instruments sterilization. Overall though, it was a great experience seeing dental students at work, getting to meet dental students, and to see if UCLA feels "right". As for what you actually get to learn from this, you learn to chart for dental students during patient screening and you learn a lot of instrument names in the upstairs sterilization. Plus, you get a nice letter of recommendation upon completing the 80 hour program. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.