UConn Med Alternate List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingChris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if UConn's incoming class is full yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if anyone's confused as to why a dental student is posting this, but I have a friend in need!!

The waitlist/alternate list will start moving after May 15th - tomorrow. This is when students must drop mutiple acceptances and chose where they will matriculate. So, of all the offers UConn has given out, they will soon be hearing which students are chosing to go elsewhere. Hence, offers will start to go out to those on the waitlist to fill opening spaces.
Good luck to your friend! I just graduated yesterday and loved UConn.

Members don't see this ad :)
not even into the waitlist yet...it's possible

FYI, I was told that they have not moved onto the alternate list and to inquire again mid-June.

Yea that was cue for my friend to start studying to take the MCAT again in July and reapply...anyone else in that situation? Do you think she should wait to really apply and everything or do it now? She's a high alternate and it's the only school she has a chance at...poor dear

history says high alternates usually get in...but the best bet would be to call and find out her exact position

Oh....it's a she....there's hope yet...

I am in the same situation as her, High Alternate Status with Uconn and they are my only chance right now. I am at a loss of what to do... I guess wait and hope :confused:

Oh....it's a she....there's hope yet...

Please stop propatating the rumor that there is some sort of sexual bias at UConn Med. If you had half a brain and read the statistics you would find the admissions process is non-bias in terms of sex. If you are going to make a comment that makes an implication like this you really should be able to back it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
has ANYONE gotten in off the waitlist so far for 2007???

I released my spot on May 12th . . . good luck to you all!

thanks hopefully about 20 others will also...and they will get to my number

are on the high alternate list? how do u know what number you are? how full is the class?

i called and asked Dr. Sanford around may 15th and he said i was like 20th on their list.

i recommend just calling and asking.

Please stop propatating the rumor that there is some sort of sexual bias at UConn Med. If you had half a brain and read the statistics you would find the admissions process is non-bias in terms of sex. If you are going to make a comment that makes an implication like this you really should be able to back it up.

Actually, I got into a discussion with the dean about this after my interview. UCHC DOES eventually matriculate more women than men, but it's not based on their acceptances or preferences directly. He said that it has just happened that most of their more competitive applicants have been women in the past 10 years or so, and that among those students accepted that women tend to be more attracted to UConn for whatever reason and therefore are more likely to take a UCHC acceptance over one at another school than their male counterparts.

BTW, I just got accepted to UCHC off the waitlist, was a high priority applicant from UConn undergrad and am male...so even if the she were a he he/she would still have a definate shot.

I got in the other day; good luck to the rest of you! :D

Just cleaning through some papers in my room and found the stat sheet that UCHC gave interviewees.

CO 2010: Female 60%
CO 2009: 71%
CO 2008: 63%
CO 2007: 66%

But once again, after talking to Dean Ardolino this disparity is simply because the women who have been applying in the past 10 years have simply been better applicants than the men and that among the students accepted, the women are more likely to matriculate. He said that awhile ago, this trend was the exact reverse, men tended to be stronger applicants and tended to be more attracted to UConn.

Hope to see you all in Farmington in August!!! :D:luck:

anyone hear anything new lately? if they have gone through all the high alternates? waiting sucks....

anyone hear anything new lately? if they have gone through all the high alternates? waiting sucks....

I was told today that they were about halfway through their high alternates. No word on the total number that involved.

I was told today that they were about halfway through their high alternates. No word on the total number that involved.

received the same message; was told I can get another update at the end of July. more waiting. ugh.

It's been a while since anyone posted...
Anyone got in recently? Anything?

I was also told that they are half way through the top third of the waitlist. Anyone know about the chances of being admitted from the middle third?

I was also told that they are half way through the top third of the waitlist. Anyone know about the chances of being admitted from the middle third?

Thanks for posting, DancingDoctor. I am on the middle alternate list and already submitted my AMCAS for next year, just in case. I haven't lost all hope yet, but waiting until the end of August seems risky. This is based on my purely intuitive thinking -- 15% chance is what I think.

I think the more important question at this point is how many people total were on the upper third of the alternate list?

i HOPE like 15 people in every third....soo they had around 45 total on their list...im in the middle third also sooo am praying like everyday

my GUESS would be like 20 in every third.

soo if half of the upper third is through...i'd hope/guess that like 7-10 people before middle third starts.

ALL of this is just pure speculation on my part.

Between us, I am pretty shocked that it is this competitive to get in..i knew it would be difficult, but considering my gpa and mcats are above their matriculating average...and that im from ct...and went to uconn undergrad...did research at the health center...this is absolutely rediculous.

Between us, I am pretty shocked that it is this competitive to get in..i knew it would be difficult, but considering my gpa and mcats are above their matriculating average...and that im from ct...and went to uconn undergrad...did research at the health center...this is absolutely rediculous.

Did you apply late? I did a little bit, and I'm almost positive that's why I was on the wait list. Send in your app again like right now and in the event that things don't work out you'll definitely have a shot at 2008.

Karen12345,

I plan to do the same thing. I will submit my AMCAS this week in case I do not get off the waitlist. I plan to do a special masters if I don't get in.

As for me, I did get my application in late. However, I am with Giddyup 5... from CT, did research at UCHC for 3 years, shadowed two docs there, and work there now. Waitlist purgatory... so discouraging.

Karen12345,

I plan to do the same thing. I will submit my AMCAS this week in case I do not get off the waitlist. I plan to do a special masters if I don't get in.

As for me, I did get my application in late. However, I am with Giddyup 5... from CT, did research at UCHC for 3 years, shadowed two docs there, and work there now. Waitlist purgatory... so discouraging.

What special masters are you considering?
I think that applying early can make a lot of difference. Good luck to everyone.

it will be interesting to see if anyone else gets in this year. thanks.

yea i think the waitlist movement this year accross the country is pretty slow. Sucks for all of us who are counting on that. Most of the movement should have occured right after may 15th meaning early june was the time to move.

Now that its july...maybe its just me being pesimistic...i really dont see that much more movement until maybe the first week of class where people decide med schools not for them and descide to drop out.

I hope im wrong and July is a good month for us all!

i HOPE like 15 people in every third....soo they had around 45 total on their list...im in the middle third also sooo am praying like everyday

my GUESS would be like 20 in every third.

soo if half of the upper third is through...i'd hope/guess that like 7-10 people before middle third starts.

There are at least 15 in each third, because a friend of mine is ranked 15 and was in the top third.

There are at least 15 in each third, because a friend of mine is ranked 15 and was in the top third.

Was your friend ranked 15 while they claimed to be "about half way through the top alternate list " around the middle of June?

I think the more important question at this point is how many people total were on the upper third of the alternate list?

exactly. telling us how they are about half way into the top alternate list is in itself completely meaningless. why can't they tell us approximately how many people total are on the list?

I am deciding right now between the Masters of Biomedical Sciences at Tufts and the masters of Medical Sciences at BU. I am praying that UConn goes to the middle third...

I don't want to give away too much of who I am (thought it wouldn't be terribly hard to find out), but I'm in the 30's on the middle third of the waitlist. Unfortunately, I'd assume that there are at least 40 people in each third (possibly more - 120 seems a bit short of a waitlist for a class of 80).

If they don't take us this year, do you think they will look at us more favorably in the next application cycle?

I think I read it on their website that most waitlist activity occurs in June and July (hopes up!). Based on people's comments on the SDN, last year there wasn't much waitlist movement. Maybe this year will be different. ?

I am deciding right now between the Masters of Biomedical Sciences at Tufts and the masters of Medical Sciences at BU. I am praying that UConn goes to the middle third...

Looks like you have a well thought out "Plan B." Thanks for answering my question.

yea i think the waitlist movement this year accross the country is pretty slow. Sucks for all of us who are counting on that. Most of the movement should have occured right after may 15th meaning early june was the time to move.

Now that its july...maybe its just me being pesimistic...i really dont see that much more movement until maybe the first week of class where people decide med schools not for them and descide to drop out.

I hope im wrong and July is a good month for us all!

I don't think people will be changing their minds once classes begin. I wouldn't be surprised to get a call several days before they start, though. Looks like we will all know two months from now...

exactly. telling us how they are about half way into the top alternate list is in itself completely meaningless. why can't they tell us approximately how many people total are on the list?

I'm a UConn undergrad. They're really good at making everything as painful as possible.

I'm a UConn undergrad. They're really good at making everything as painful as possible.

UConn Med actually tells its applicants/wait listers a ton more than other schools do. I was waitlisted at a few places before being accepted by UConn and the others didn't tell me jack-s#!+. I know that doesn't really help anyone, but knowing that you're #18 out of ? is better than knowing absolutely nothing, right?

Best of luck to all of you...and when you do get accepted come over to the med student forum to the UConn Class of 2011 thread! :hello:

Was your friend ranked 15 while they claimed to be "about half way through the top alternate list " around the middle of June?

He was ranked 15 a couple of weeks ago. And my understanding of it was that he was 15th out of everyone (like including those who were already accepted) but that assumption could be wrong.

Normally, they get through the whole "high priority" third of the wait list.

Does anyone know when their next adcom meeting is to accept more people off the waitlist?

I thought they accepted people one by one as spots opened up. Now your comment gives hope again. Maybe they wait until there is a bunch of available spots and then just accept many alternate applicants at once. Somehow it seems too good to be true. I don't know what to think, but I still have hope.

Yea, I'm pretty sure the adcom has to meet to vote each time they officially send out any acceptances (just my understanding of what goes on) and they're not gonna meet all the time because everyone on the committee has their own jobs to do (students, physicians, faculty members, etc). At least at most schools acceptances come out in waves after adcom meetings, and I'm pretty sure that's the way it goes at UConn too.

when I contacted them about my status in mid June, they said I can check back again in late July. so maybe the end of July is when they meet again or something like that.

yea im pretty sure that the adcom has to meet and vote on who they offer a spot. Also im pretty sure they meet on tuesdays. I wouldn't be surprised if they met this tuesday coming up the 10th or next tuesday the 17th since its after july 4th and everyones coming back from vacation.

Man i wish their class size was like 100....