UConn vs. Quinnipiac (Both full rides)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CricB4Tube

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of Connecticut School of Medicine (UConn)
Pros
  • Matched into all competitive specialties
  • Has a home hospital
  • Has multiple home residency programs in specialties I'm interested in
  • True P/F with no internal ranking
  • Plenty of research opportunities
Cons
  • The gym is small
  • Isolated campus so I'll have to bring my own food or use their very nice cafeteria (not a huge problem)

Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine (Quinnipiac)
Pros
  • Strong match list, but I don't think it's as strong as UConn's
  • More to do in the immediate area + great food nearby
  • Also P/F but I don't know about internal ranking?
Cons
  • No home hospital or residency programs
  • Newer school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on the options! Since there is no cost to you, I’d go UConn. It has been around longer and is more established in the field. It will also open more doors to you in terms of residency options after medical school as they have many home residency programs. Best of luck to you

Reactions: 1 users
I went to UConn SOM, and for you UConn is definitely the better choice. As mentioned above UConn is the more established program and matches students into the all the competitive specialties. UConn has their own residency programs which are very friendly to their students in the match. If your goal is stay in CT after medical school (which it sounds like is your goal), UConn gives you the most options to make that happen. Having gone there I would highly recommend it.

Reactions: 2 users
I went to UConn SOM, and for you UConn is definitely the better choice. As mentioned above UConn is the more established program and matches students into the all the competitive specialties. UConn has their own residency programs which are very friendly to their students in the match. If your goal is stay in CT after medical school (which it sounds like is your goal), UConn gives you the most options to make that happen. Having gone there I would highly recommend it.
Thank you so much for your input. This is great to hear. UConn has been my #1 choice since the beginning but I just wanted to hear if there was anything I hadn't considered for Quinnipiac yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick UConn and don't look back. It's your #1 and it's a good school.

Reactions: 1 users
I go to quinnipiac; its fine, but trust me that in your situation you'd be an idiot to come here. 700 dollars/mo difference is the only benefit but with a full-ride either way you're going to be loaded if you play your cards right. I also know someone who was between those schools and absolutely regrets it since they chose quinnipiac.

Unrelated, as someone who's gonna be at least 300k in the hole, pls dont screw it up. Invest in index funds and you'll be one of the wealthiest docs out there.

Reactions: 1 user