UCSD 2008 Pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah its looking pretty rough

i think im going to call brian today and see if he has any updates on any numbers. if i hear anything i'll keep ya'll posted.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an offer from UCSD! I got an email from Dean Kelly at 10am this morning. I'm sure people will ask so I interviewed March 20th and received my waitlist notification in mid April. So happy right now!

I just got an offer from UCSD! I got an email from Dean Kelly at 10am this morning. I'm sure people will ask so I interviewed March 20th and received my waitlist notification in mid April. So happy right now!
Hooray! Congrats on getting in!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats jameshgo!

did you send a letter of interest/letter of intent after you got waitlisted in acceptance pool? did you call the admissions office? Is this your first choice?

I am swimming in the acceptance pool right now, it would be so amazing to get an acceptance there!:love:

congrats jameshgo!

did you send a letter of interest/letter of intent after you got waitlisted in acceptance pool? did you call the admissions office? Is this your first choice?

I am swimming in the acceptance pool right now, it would be so amazing to get an acceptance there!:love:

:thumbup: also curious about this...

and congrats on the acceptance jameshgo! it must have felt pretty awesome to get that email

congrats james!

i hate to be a downer but ucsd also sent out rejection letters on 5/14. got mine today. =(

interviewed back in mid october.

congrats james!

i hate to be a downer but ucsd also sent out rejection letters on 5/14. got mine today. =(

wow. I didn't think ucsd sent out rejection letters until the very end. I'm afraid to check the mail now.

Congrats Jameshgo! That is great news.

s3park said:

Sorry to hear that, s3. Does that mean you're going to LL?

thanks for the condolences all.

i was kind of caught off guard too, was not expecting this so early. i really thought i had decent shot too.

maybe it has to do with less people withdrawing this year? someone on this thread mentioned this earlier...

thanks for the condolences all.

i was kind of caught off guard too, was not expecting this so early. i really thought i had decent shot too.

maybe it has to do with less people withdrawing this year? someone on this thread mentioned this earlier...

Really sorry to hear that. Hope you get into some place you'll like just as much. And by the way, do you know if your status on the UCSD website changed?

congrats jameshgo!

Thanks for the congrats! I did send in a letter of interest after I was waitlisted. However, I exchanged several emails with Brian (the admissions coordinator) and he very clearly and honestly told me they don't care at all about letters of interest/intent. They judge your application as is, without looking at things you send in after your interview. Like I said, I wrote a few emails to Brian, but I never did call the admissions office. As of right now I'm on the UCLA waitlist, but UCSD would be awesome too!

Really sorry to hear that. Hope you get into some place you'll like just as much. And by the way, do you know if your status on the UCSD website changed?

just checked. it says a final decision letter was sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
just checked. it says a final decision letter was sent.

thanks for letting us know s3park! i hope you have an awesome four years at loma linda (assume that's where you're heading...)

aww, I'm sorry, s3park! I didn't know they're sending out rejection letters this early... I hope you'll be as happy wherever you're going! are you going to Loma Linda? If I don't get some UC love, I'll be going to LL too~

CONGRATULATIONS, jameshgo!! :) That's awesome!! I thought they'd CALL for acceptance, I guess they do EMAIL now... scary, which means, emails can be good or bad now...

hey everyone, i just got off the phone with brian a little while ago. apparently they rejected around 100 people last week, so the pool is down to around 300 people now. he's not sure as to how many will eventually come off, but he said they still expect to give 20-50 offers, with most of the activity happening in the next 3-4 weeks. it looks like a lot of people are keeping their spots this year...

so although it doesn't look too good, at least we made the first cut! let us all know if you hear anything!

This is perhaps the slowest moving waitlist thread this year. I can't believe there has only been one acceptance off of it from SDN this year. Thoughts? Concerns?

so many people want to stay in california. Couple that with the fact that UCSD is very prestigious, selective, and inexpensive....and you've got a body of students unwilling to give up their acceptances unless there's another top tier school that is really really tempting.

Because I started this thread and haven't posted in a while (though I have been reading the posts obsessively), I figured I'd post to say that I'm still here. Just checked my status. It doesn't have anything for 'Final Decision Letter Sent' and I haven't received a rejection letter, so I assume I'm one of the :eek:300:eek: still under consideration. Congrats to james for getting in!!!!!

Which schools will cause the most movement on the UCSD waitlist? Obviously there are a lot of people who got into UCSD that want off the UCSF list, but what others? UCLA? Stanford? I'm not from California and would be interested to hear what the usual order of preference is.

Good luck to everyone, and I reeeeaaaallly hope that I'll see you in La Jolla come fall!

Because I started this thread and haven't posted in a while (though I have been reading the posts obsessively), I figured I'd post to say that I'm still here. Just checked my status. It doesn't have anything for 'Final Decision Letter Sent' and I haven't received a rejection letter, so I assume I'm one of the :eek:300:eek: still under consideration. Congrats to james for getting in!!!!!

Which schools will cause the most movement on the UCSD waitlist? Obviously there are a lot of people who got into UCSD that want off the UCSF list, but what others? UCLA? Stanford? I'm not from California and would be interested to hear what the usual order of preference is.

Good luck to everyone, and I reeeeaaaallly hope that I'll see you in La Jolla come fall!
I'm waitlisted at both Stanford (1st choice) and UCSF (2nd choice).

Good luck to you too! Someone else on SDN got off the UCSD waitlist (check out the class of 2012 thread in the allopathic forum).

looks like that person is a md/phd applicant though.. are the admissions processes different? maybe they didn't discuss md only applicants today and there is hope for all of us!

wow.. md admissions has turned me into a crazy stalker

anyone else out of state and part of the 300 on the waitlist? :-/ gosh i have no clue what my chances are at this point...

btw i hope i didn't scare anybody with the 'md admissions has turned me into a crazy stalker' comment, i'm not an actual stalker.. i just meant i sdn-searched the person's posts to see when he interviewed and heard back, etc :)

its more searching than i'm used to doing in my daily life though!! good luck everyone

anyone else out of state and part of the 300 on the waitlist? :-/ gosh i have no clue what my chances are at this point...
*raises hand*

Ya, no idea what our chances are. I assume there is an internal scoring system that determines who they call up and our nonresidency is a factor in that score. It doesn't sound good for anyone on the waitlist right now.

hey all, Brian said that 20-40 people should be accepted from the waitlist "soon", actual dates can't be revealed for some reason, and yes, 100 people were rejected from the acceptable pool, and few were accepted from the waitlist so far...
:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Did he say if this is going to be all the movement that happens? Do you know if more rejections are on the way? I would ask myself but I figure a lot of people are asking him questions right now

Did he say if this is going to be all the movement that happens?
Brian can't know exactly how much movement will happen because it's not up to him; it's up to the people currently holding those spots.
Do you know if more rejections are on the way?
~300 minus 20 to 50 = rejections are on the way for ~250 to 280 people on the waitlist. :D

Oh wow thanks for all the information!!! :)
Did Brian say so many rejections will be coming so soon? that's scary...

no news here....still hoping

will be giving up my spot at UCSD next week ... hope one of u gets it!

ahhh!! hehe, thank you and CONGRATS to you!

are we going to hear back next week yet?... no news for anyone last week?? :confused:

No news...everytime I see this thread up, I start to panic a little.

called the office and spoke to brian last week. he said as of right now, the class is full, but he does anticipate some openings in the coming weeks (said they expect to make 10-20 more offers throughout the summer).

however he did say that they will probably have another round of rejections come late june

Does that mean those 20-40 acceptances that were going to go out already did? If so, doesn't seem like anyone on here was called...:(

my friend told me someone got in early last week.

any other news? someone call brian for an update?

Got an email from Brian--had a heart attack--apparently he was just asking whether or not we still wanted to be on the waitlist. He expects 8-15 more acceptances, most likely taking place before July 15th.

Fingers, toes, eyes, and other body parts crossed...

is this email addressed to all the applicants on the waitlist???

Dammit! I want to get into UCSD!!!! DREAM SCHOOL!! plz let me off this waitlist...

also got the email today. i'm not sure, but i think they send it to everyone on the waiting list.

is this email addressed to all the applicants on the waitlist???

The email list is not disclosed, so I'm not sure, sorry. The email is titled "Still interested in UCSD - Yes or No"

The email list is not disclosed, so I'm not sure, sorry. The email is titled "Still interested in UCSD - Yes or No"

Did everyone on the waitlist get this email? Whats the point? Is it to make sure we are going to matriculate if accepted so that they don't offer spots to people who will reject them?

Last edited:
Did everyone on the waitlist get this email? Whats the point? Is it to make sure we are going to matriculate if accepted so that they don't offer spots to people who will reject them?

bingo

bump