UCSD 2008 Pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FinJim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the Acceptable Pool at UCSD. I've sent in a LOI and would go there in a heartbeat if accepted. Any words of wisdom on how to get them to take me? More letters? Multiple phone calls to make my name familiar to the right people? They say the pool is an un-ranked, so how they would just choose among the hundreds of files to start reviewing? Pick a file, any file?

I'm kinda fighting an up-hill battle (EVERYONE on here is, I know, but I have some things that hinder my app): out of state applicant and just an 'ok' MCAT. I got the interview, though, which I guess implies my MCAT is strong enough and there's something they like.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Write and call. Can you say that you'd definitely go there (ie withdraw from all other waiting lists/schools) if you got in?

I'm in the same boat.

I was wondering how this unranked thing works too. So many people get put in this pool- they can't randomly accept people. What if someone totally blows the interview, are they given the same odds as everyone else? Maybe there is a secret "rejected acceptable pool." In any case, I would like to figure out how this process works.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how this unranked thing works too. So many people get put in this pool- they can't randomly accept people. What if someone totally blows the interview, are they given the same odds as everyone else? Maybe there is a secret "rejected acceptable pool." In any case, I would like to figure out how this process works.

How many people are put in this pool? I have heard they accept a decent amount of people? Does anyone have any info? I am out of state also and would love to attend. Any previous out of staters get in off the alternate pool?

Thanks,

PMD

P.S. Can we send updates via snail mail and if so, where?

Thanks

Supposedly, as accepted students opt to go to other schools in May, they reach into the pool and search for students who are very similar (ECs, scores, demographics, etc.) to the one that left. This maintains the diversity of the incoming class.

Brian Z has said that LOI's do NOT increase your chance of being chosen (they can't hurt either). Every year, they pick students who send updates and students who do not.

I still sent one though :)

I remember hearing Brian saying that it doesn't matter if you write letters it won't help, and that everyone who interviewed and did not get accepted right away are put into the "pool." But that could just be reverse psychology:rolleyes:. This weekend is UCSD's second look weekend, I hear a good amount of people might defect after that so keep your hopes up cuz your chance might be coming up soon. I've heard plenty stories of people getting off the waitlist to UCSD in June. So if it happens to you, i'll see you in class!:thumbup:

Let's pray for rain and bad moods this weekend in La Jolla! haha jk The numbers from previous years do make it seem as if our chances are still good, and I definitely plan to bug the crap out of every person I came across in admissions. :D Pulling applicants from the pool similar to those who turn SD down to maintain diversity makes sense but likely sucks for me (WASP, outa state male here). Still, I think updates and another LOR do help, at least a little. Maybe not. Who knows? Best of luck, folks.

Let's pray for rain and bad moods this weekend in La Jolla! haha jk The numbers from previous years do make it seem as if our chances are still good, and I definitely plan to bug the crap out of every person I came across in admissions. :D Pulling applicants from the pool similar to those who turn SD down to maintain diversity makes sense but likely sucks for me (WASP, outa state male here). Still, I think updates and another LOR do help, at least a little. Maybe not. Who knows? Best of luck, folks.

Praying for rain and bad moods in La Jolla on an late april weekend?

you crazy :D

I interviewed for MSTP and was rejected and placed in this applicant pool. Do you think this will hurt or help my chances or have no affect? I am out of state and wrote a letter after getting rejected from MSTP. I would love to go to UCSD for MD versus some of the other MD/PhD programs I got into.

Thanks,
PMD

i posted this email on sdn a while back before- but it's directly from brian and i think it helps a lot defining what this whole 'unranked' business really means.

Acceptable pool invitations usually don’t start until the beginning of May. Basically, we are accepting applicants at a rate that will mean our class is “overfilled” at the end of the interview season…something like 200 acceptances will go out for our 134 spots. Then in March and April and May, we start to lose many of those 200 applicants, as May 15 is the date by which applicants must narrow their multiple acceptances down to just one. Usually, we’ve lost enough people to get under 134 by about May 1st

How we choose out of the pool? Well, we don’t have a ranked list, and the decisions are not strictly based on the applicant’s “score”. However, this doesn’t mean that the choices are completely random. The short answer is that the Dean makes the ultimate decisions and bases her decisions on all the factors that go in to arriving at that “score” in the first place. Perhaps somebody with a low overall score, but extremely strong letters of recommendation, and strong interview reports would stand a better chance than the opposite case (a higher score with lukewarm interview reports), but it really does vary…. sometimes a very in-depth commitment to some activitity (research, or community service) is enough to make us overlook a so-so interview performance. And while we do not officially reject anybody immediately after interview, I would say there are a number of applicants in this pool that will not receive serious consideration, for various reasons.

i posted this email on sdn a while back before- but it's directly from brian and i think it helps a lot defining what this whole 'unranked' business really means.

Acceptable pool invitations usually don’t start until the beginning of May. Basically, we are accepting applicants at a rate that will mean our class is “overfilled” at the end of the interview season…something like 200 acceptances will go out for our 134 spots. Then in March and April and May, we start to lose many of those 200 applicants, as May 15 is the date by which applicants must narrow their multiple acceptances down to just one. Usually, we’ve lost enough people to get under 134 by about May 1st

How we choose out of the pool? Well, we don’t have a ranked list, and the decisions are not strictly based on the applicant’s “score”. However, this doesn’t mean that the choices are completely random. The short answer is that the Dean makes the ultimate decisions and bases her decisions on all the factors that go in to arriving at that “score” in the first place. Perhaps somebody with a low overall score, but extremely strong letters of recommendation, and strong interview reports would stand a better chance than the opposite case (a higher score with lukewarm interview reports), but it really does vary…. sometimes a very in-depth commitment to some activitity (research, or community service) is enough to make us overlook a so-so interview performance. And while we do not officially reject anybody immediately after interview, I would say there are a number of applicants in this pool that will not receive serious consideration, for various reasons.

What is this "score" that he mentions? What are the cutoffs and how is it calculated?

Thanks,

PMD

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI - at Second Look, Dean Kelly said that she reads SDN sometimes, and she actually mentioned this post =p She seemed amused that someone wanted it to rain on Second Look. Anyways, just remember that you never know who reads this, and best wishes to everyone in the pool.

I don't know about you, but I'm praying for sun and happiness throughout La Jolla!:D

What is this "score" that he mentions? What are the cutoffs and how is it calculated?

Thanks,

PMD

ehhh, not sure, but if memory serves me well, you're given a score based off your mcat, gpa and interview. there's a threshold where if you're well above it, you're accpted and if you're borderline, you're discussed then you're accepted/waitlisted and if you're below, you're waitlisted.

i dont know exactly how they calculate the score. but i heard the interview score is based off of thumbs up/downs.

FYI - at Second Look, Dean Kelly said that she reads SDN sometimes, and she actually mentioned this post =p She seemed amused that someone wanted it to rain on Second Look. Anyways, just remember that you never know who reads this, and best wishes to everyone in the pool.

Yeah someone asked her about that afterwards and she said she doesn't have an account here though. So at least we know she's not one of the posters! :eek:

LOL I'm just graduating from UCSD for undergrad and I must say how much most people hate it. I heard a lot of the medical students hate it as well. Well I suppose it's less of an issue since social life isn't quite as big in med school vs undergrad. Either way good luck to you guys and just know that rent is expensive, our campus is absolutely huge (400+ acres), Ralph's parking lot was invented by the cheapest bid, and there's no such thing as school pride.

At second look I talked to many 4th year students...they were each very happy looking back on their education and where they matched because of it.

The UCSD campus is huge, but the medical campus is separate from it and much smaller.

The student I talked to paid an average of $800 or so in rent which does not seem too bad by California standards.

As to the Ralphs Parking Lot, well you have me there!

I think the key to realize is UCSD undergrad does not equal UCSD medical school and it is silly to let a random undergrad make statements about things he does not fully know about and has the wrong point of view for. Heck, why not ask a Berkeley undergraduate if their experience is like that at UCSF....hahha

LOL I'm just graduating from UCSD for undergrad and I must say how much most people hate it. I heard a lot of the medical students hate it as well. Well I suppose it's less of an issue since social life isn't quite as big in med school vs undergrad. Either way good luck to you guys and just know that rent is expensive, our campus is absolutely huge (400+ acres), Ralph's parking lot was invented by the cheapest bid, and there's no such thing as school pride.

sounds like someone is desperatly trying to get off the waitlist :D
j/k!

but ouch, and I thought I was bitter about my lack of social life as an UCSD undergrad. Even I wouldn't say it's THAT bad. The school pride thing I get though, not having a football team or a big sports culture would definately contribute to that. what major were you?

UCSD hopeful here too... Does anyone know (from Brian, or anyone else) if any movement has started yet?

I met a guy at 2nd look that knows he isn't coming (though he came for the free food...:rolleyes: )

if i recall correctly from the speakers...they admitted 200 this year and are hoping to enroll some like 137? But they did say lots of people have dual acceptances. I'm not sure how many acceptees decline UCSD but if 60+ declines then waitlist gets called I guess?

I don't know if those odds are in my favor... but here's hoping.

Anyone else hear anything about waitlist/acceptable pool movement? I think I heard that the ADCOM is still meeting to deliver post-interview decisions today, and I think once more in a few weeks... Is that right? I guess there should be more movement after that?

I just called and spoke w/ Admissions ... withdrawals are starting to come in which means some spots should open up soon. no exact date was given, but they will be calling folks from the acceptable pool sometime in the next few weeks.

Ah, good to hear! Fingers and toes crossed...

I interviewed for MSTP and was rejected and placed in this applicant pool. Do you think this will hurt or help my chances or have no affect? I am out of state and wrote a letter after getting rejected from MSTP. I would love to go to UCSD for MD versus some of the other MD/PhD programs I got into.

Thanks,
PMD

I'm actually in the exact same situation as you- out of state MSTP applicant, rejected and placed in the acceptable pool. I am also planning on writing a letter of intent, although I'm not sure how much it'll help. good luck to you.

anyone out there get off the waitlist?

anyone out there get off the waitlist?

I got an email from Brian, the admissions coordinator, about their timeline on waitlist movement, etc. Here is what he said:

The first waitlist acceptances will not happen until after May 15…based on previous years, the most likely thing is that we will see a “burst” of acceptances on May 15 or May 16, then we will see a lot of activity from mid-May to mid-June (perhaps 6-7 new offers each week during those weeks). After mid-June, things are more settled, slowing down to perhaps 2-3 acceptances per week until the end of July.

I got an email from Brian, the admissions coordinator, about their timeline on waitlist movement, etc. Here is what he said:

The first waitlist acceptances will not happen until after May 15…based on previous years, the most likely thing is that we will see a “burst” of acceptances on May 15 or May 16, then we will see a lot of activity from mid-May to mid-June (perhaps 6-7 new offers each week during those weeks). After mid-June, things are more settled, slowing down to perhaps 2-3 acceptances per week until the end of July.

Wow thanks so much for the info, that's really helpful!
I really really really hope I can get in... but just have no clue how this waitlist works and have no control whatsoever over it. :(
anyway, :luck: to everyone who's waiting!!! i'm desperately hoping to get in...

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance offer to UC San Diego. :(

Very difficult decision, but I truly hope it goes to one of you in this thread. Best of luck to everybody. :luck:

haha, that is so awesome. At UC Irvine they do the same.

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance offer to UC San Diego. :(

Very difficult decision, but I truly hope it goes to one of you in this thread. Best of luck to everybody. :luck:
Aw! Well, I'm glad that there's a place where you'd be happier - best of luck to you too! Sorry we won't get to be in the same class, but maybe we'll run into each other another time.

phone is on, with reception and batt. waiting for the burst of acceptances

phone is on, with reception and batt. waiting for the burst of acceptances

LOL. i actually called brian zeglen on tuesday and asked him about how the waitlist process works. he said at that time (tuesday afternoon) they had about 150 people holding acceptances for 134 spots and said they anticipate having to make 50ish offers from the acceptable pool to fill their class. however, he said he wouldn't know exactly how many spots would need to be filled until tomorrow, and that calls to those waiting in the pool probably wouldn't go out until next week.

if you have any specific questions, you could try giving him a call. he's a really nice guy and is very honest and straightforward, unlike many admissions staff at other schools.

if you have any specific questions, you could try giving him a call. he's a really nice guy and is very honest and straightforward, unlike many admissions staff at other schools.

yeah, but he could be brutally honest sometimes. Good luck for you ppl who are waiting for that call.

yeah, but he could be brutally honest sometimes. Good luck for you ppl who are waiting for that call.

i totally prefer that to the misleading crap that other schools feed us with. if i don't have a chance, i'd much rather know sooner so i don't wait with false hope.

LOL. i actually called brian zeglen on tuesday and asked him about how the waitlist process works. he said at that time (tuesday afternoon) they had about 150 people holding acceptances for 134 spots and said they anticipate having to make 50ish offers from the acceptable pool to fill their class. however, he said he wouldn't know exactly how many spots would need to be filled until tomorrow, and that calls to those waiting in the pool probably wouldn't go out until next week.

Wow, 150 people are still holding acceptances--seems like a lot. Seems like there won't be much movement this year...

i totally prefer that to the misleading crap that other schools feed us with. if i don't have a chance, i'd much rather know sooner so i don't wait with false hope.

yeah, true that

Wow, 150 people are still holding acceptances--seems like a lot. Seems like there won't be much movement this year...
I am one of those 150, and I'll be withdrawing if I get off the waitlist somewhere else. I'm sure there are other people in my position.

I'm starting to get attached to UCSD and all the people I've met, though! Yikes...

I am one of those 150, and I'll be withdrawing if I get off the waitlist somewhere else. I'm sure there are other people in my position.

I'm starting to get attached to UCSD and all the people I've met, though! Yikes...

you go and break our hearts by going somewhere else silver, it's no problem... :(

;)

Although I would say maybe even as high as 50% of the people I met at second look is waiting on UCSF. Dang that school! :)

150!!!!!! oh my god!!!:eek:

that's it? only 50 offers?? sigh...

how big is the acceptable pool again? 250?

that's it? only 50 offers?? sigh...

how big is the acceptable pool again? 250?

I talked to Brian last week, and he said that at the time, the acceptable pool had about 400 people in it. Based on last year, they pulled about 50 people off of the waitlist.

I talked to Brian last week, and he said that at the time, the acceptable pool had about 400 people in it. Based on last year, they pulled about 50 people off of the waitlist.

Ouch, well, guess I'm a lot less hopeful now

whoa!! didn't mean to cause a huge scare haha...

just to clarify, there were 150 people holding acceptances as of TUESDAY AFTERNOON. brian said that 15 people withdrew on tuesday alone, so im sure a decent amount withdrew yesterday and even today.

however, he did mention that more people are holding onto their acceptances this year than in previous years, so that is definitely not good news for us in the pool.

withdrew today. Opens up one more spot. Good luck.

anybody get a phone call today?

I kind of thought most people wouldn't hold on to their acceptances to the very end like this. Most of the people I know withdrew a few weeks ago from their schools just to be extra careful of the may 15 deadline. Anybody find out any news today?

well, hopefully a lot of people withdrew from the acceptable pool over these past several days as well.

like 350

awww... I'm sad now... only 50 spots?! :( out of >400 in the acceptable pool!!! less hopeful now... UCSD, my love... :(