UCSD Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InvisibleSphere

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all,

I want to live in San diego more than anything, hence my interest in the UCSD anesthesia program. I know there have been threads on California programs and how competitive an applicant must be.. Well Im asking the question to you all, what are my chances for landing a spot in UCSD without doing an away rotation there? Im currently at a top 40 medical scool in the south, with these stats:

Step 1 - 257/99
Step 2- N/A

-Some anesthesia research on fluid therapy
-Years 1,2 grades - All honors and 1 HP
-Year 3 grades so far: Surgery-H, Pediatrics-HP, Family-H, Internal-H
- I was recently nominated for Junior AOA, top 10% of the class qualified, but I didn't make the final, top 5%, cut.

Is it possible to land an interview there without doing an away rotation at UCSD? I was planning on doing one, but my wife will be delivering our baby around the time I had planned on doing it, and I don't want to miss the birth of our future son/daughter!

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You are a supposedly smart med student. Don't ask dumb questions. Will it make you feel better if someone tells you that you'll definitely get an interview? Point is, you have great stats but doesn't necessarily mean they will interview you. Doing an away doesn't guarantee that either. Good luck.

I'm a CA-3 at UCSD. Your stats should be strong enough for an interview, assuming other elements of your application are correspondingly strong. I would recommend finding reasons beyond your love of America's Finest City when you have a chance to state your case.

An away rotation can improve your chances of matching, but there is also the risk of making a bad impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are a supposedly smart med student. Don't ask dumb questions. Will it make you feel better if someone tells you that you'll definitely get an interview? Point is, you have great stats but doesn't necessarily mean they will interview you. Doing an away doesn't guarantee that either. Good luck.

Point taken. I should have asked the question differently. What I'm interested in is what increases my chance of getting an interview.

Nothing. I would almost guarantee you will get an interview there... Along with virtually everywhere else you apply. If you're really interested in UCSD, do an away rotation there and check it out.

Nothing. I would almost guarantee you will get an interview there... Along with virtually everywhere else you apply. If you're really interested in UCSD, do an away rotation there and check it out.

Agreed. From my n=1, I would think you would get most interviews. I say "most" because there are certain programs that weigh sincere interest in the program heavily (Colorado comes to mind). However, given that UCSD is a highly sought after program, getting applicants with a sincere interest isn't any issue for them. The interview and match will probably be where it all boils down. They have a smaller program in a prime location.

Do an away there if you really think it could be your #1. Try and make it work for other blocks (although, you do have a tough situation with a baby and all). This is assuming, of course, that you can shine on aways.

It should be noted that the VAST majority of people who interview at top programs (any given program, really) have never set foot on campus prior to the interview date.

As others have pointed out, an audition rotation only helps if you do well enough to stand out and don't rub people the wrong way. I can tell you that at my department, an "away" does not guarantee an interview.

To the OP,

I wish you well and i hope you get to live in san diego. But in this profession be prepared for dis appointment because the market is tight everywhere and im sure its the same in san diego. even if you train there doesnt guarantee you will get to live there when you finish.. Just so you know!!

It should be noted that the VAST majority of people who interview at top programs (any given program, really) have never set foot on campus prior to the interview date.

As others have pointed out, an audition rotation only helps if you do well enough to stand out and don't rub people the wrong way. I can tell you that at my department, an "away" does not guarantee an interview.

Great information, and thank you to everyone that has replied!