*~UCSD Class of 2011~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely hope so! BTW, SD doesn't give out merit scholarships, does it?

Yes, it does. Nothing huge.

Members don't see this ad.

Question for the current students (and you might really not know this):
Do all the OOS students by the second year get instate residence if they want to or is the administration really strict about it?

From what I've seen it is not difficult. The determination is made by the UCSD registrar and not the SOM administration.

If you know what they're looking for you should get it by year 2. Depending on your circumstances it might take until year 3.

Also if you are OOS some people get a "tuition scholarship" to cover the difference. I don't know how common this is or what criteria are used to give them out.

But, Fin. Aid webpage, FAQ:
When will I hear about my awards?
Financial Aid Award Letters are usually mailed in late July or early August. Entering students who are trying to decide which school they will attend may call the Financial Aid Office to determine if an estimated award may be derived from the information they have submitted.

How could they expect to notify us after May 15? That seems unfair

I think we can ask for an estimate, right? I'll call the office tomorrow and let you know.

So who's going to second look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the matchlist results for 2007. As usual, most of the matches are concentrated on the West Coast. Some numbers:

Most popular specialties:

INTERNAL MEDICINE: 24
Peds: 12
General Surgery: 12
Emergency Med: 8
Anesth: 7
Ortho Surg: 6
Psych: 6
Family Med; 5
Radiology: 4
Neurology: 4
OB/ Gyn: 4
Optho: 3
Pathology: 3
ENT: 2
Radiation Oncology:1
Neurosugery: 1

Most popular places:

UCLA: 14
UCSD: 13
Stanford: 8
Cedars-Sinai: 7
UCSF: 5
USC: 5
UC Davis: 4
UC Irvine: 3
Harvard, U Penn, U Washington, Oakland Children's, and others: 2 at each
Yale, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Columbia, and others: 1 at each

There may be a couple errors in my counting.

Falx

How important is 2nd Look? Who's going? I'm still debating if I should go... I'm kinda lazy to drive all the way down there for just one night.

How important is 2nd Look? Who's going? I'm still debating if I should go... I'm kinda lazy to drive all the way down there for just one night.

Ah come on, it'll be a blast, I promise. And have extra fun for me as well cuz I probably won't make it:(

I'm going to Second Look next weekend! I'm actually going to try to get to the school early on Friday so I can sit in on a lecture and get a feel for the "ambiance." Plus, then I'll feel like I'm getting my money's worth for fighting traffic all the way there. :)

I'm pretty excited to meet some potential future classmates and to hear the whole spiel about UCSD. I'm also excited about the possible lecture, since it seems like they're on the endocrinology/metabolism unit (or whatever the word for it is), and for whatever reason I find those topics really interesting (receptors are rad, yay!).

falx, thanks for posting the breakdown of the Match List. I'm hoping to stay in California for residency (since I have a non-migratory s.o.), so I'm glad to see that there's a chance to stay in Cali.

has anyone started looking for roommates?

I'm going to Second Look next weekend! I'm actually going to try to get to the school early on Friday so I can sit in on a lecture and get a feel for the "ambiance." Plus, then I'll feel like I'm getting my money's worth for fighting traffic all the way there. :)

I checked the first years' schedule and there's not much lecture this Friday. The morning has a PBL and a small group thing which you probably won't be able to attend. There's Dr. Kritchevsky's weekly Basic Neuro review at 1 which should be pretty entertaining (and everyone goes so you won't be noticed). After that they have a problem session and lab which you probably can't attend either.

The second years have lectures at 11, 1, and 2.

hey guys,
first time posting here, but i'm a ucsd prospective. i just called the financial aid office to request an estimated financial aid package from them, and they basically gave me the amounts over the phone. the lady i spoke with said they don't send estimates in the mail, so you have to call to get the info.

it was rather far from generous...i'm out of state and would get only $9,400 in school grants, leaving me with $50k in loans every year. i don't think ucsd will be worth it for me at that rate...do you guys know how they calculate this? they told me they didn't set an expected family contribution, but i'm wondering how they decided on these numbers? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

anyway, see you guys at second look. hopefully it will be fun.

hey guys,
first time posting here, but i'm a ucsd prospective. i just called the financial aid office to request an estimated financial aid package from them, and they basically gave me the amounts over the phone. the lady i spoke with said they don't send estimates in the mail, so you have to call to get the info.

it was rather far from generous...i'm out of state and would get only $9,400 in school grants, leaving me with $50k in loans every year. i don't think ucsd will be worth it for me at that rate...do you guys know how they calculate this? they told me they didn't set an expected family contribution, but i'm wondering how they decided on these numbers? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

anyway, see you guys at second look. hopefully it will be fun.

Wait what? How did you get 50K in loans every year?
In my email this is what it says:

Estimated 2007-08 First Year Off-Campus Budget $45,568
Estimated 2006-07 First Year On-Campus Budget $41,854

so max, you should be getting 35K in loans, right?

those estimated budgets are for in-state students. because i'm oos i have to add a little over $12,000 to those estimates, making my (most likely off-campus) total about $58,000.

Members don't see this ad :)
those estimated budgets are for in-state students. because i'm oos i have to add a little over $12,000 to those estimates, making my (most likely off-campus) total about $58,000.

Ah Shazam! I didn't even notice that.
I'm OOS too, but that's the figures they gave me in the email.
Wow, this is a really ****ty package and my EFC is 0!:eek:

Hooray -- thanks, lord_jeebus! I'd love to sit in on a second year lecture so I can get as much of a feel for the school as possible. And, it's probably good that I'll have the earlier-morning time free so that I can do some exploration of the area. :)

I checked the first years' schedule and there's not much lecture this Friday. The morning has a PBL and a small group thing which you probably won't be able to attend. There's Dr. Kritchevsky's weekly Basic Neuro review at 1 which should be pretty entertaining (and everyone goes so you won't be noticed). After that they have a problem session and lab which you probably can't attend either.

The second years have lectures at 11, 1, and 2.

I had my interview mid-march and have been put into the acceptable pool. I am completely puzzled by the concept of an unranked pool. How do they pick someone from an unranked acceptable pool? Please clarify.

I had my interview mid-march and have been put into the acceptable pool. I am completely puzzled by the concept of an unranked pool. How do they pick someone from an unranked acceptable pool? Please clarify.

sucks dude, this is how I heard it works. Let's say you're a kid from UCLA with OK GPA, Great MCAT, interest in social sciences, etc. Some other kid from UCLA who has OK GPA, Great MCAT, interest in social sciences, etc drops out. Then they will accept you. or smt like that. Hope that helped alittle.

Hooray -- thanks, lord_jeebus! I'd love to sit in on a second year lecture so I can get as much of a feel for the school as possible. And, it's probably good that I'll have the earlier-morning time free so that I can do some exploration of the area. :)

If time is not a consideration, I'd consider going to see Dr. K at 1. He gives more lectures than almost anyone else on the faculty, and would be worth checking out.

The 11 and 2 o'clock lectures for 2nd years are on something to do with "medical therapeutics," which might be less interesting. I don't know, however, because I remember skipping them last year.

UPDATE: they're both being given by Dr. Laiken, who is awesome.

How much time does UCSD provide initially accepted applicants to confirm? Is the time period different if one is offered admission from the acceptable pool?

hey,

i currently live in la jolla right now and would like to come to a class this week (before friday). can you recommend any classes on wednesday or thursday?

Really? Was the guy before him (I think Davis) any better?

To Pickles: Don't worry too much. Most students are able to get in-state after the first year.

hey!

i was reading the website and came across this:

PHYSICAL PRESENCE WITHIN THE STATE SOLELY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF CALIFORNIA RESIDENCE FOR TUITION PURPOSES REGARDLESS OF THE LENGTH OF STAY IN CALIFORNIA.
http://meded.ucsd.edu/Catalog/curriculum/application.html

as an oos'er too i am interested in possibly becoming a californian for the tuition... is it not possible?!?!?! ahhhh!!!

hey!

i was reading the website and came across this:

PHYSICAL PRESENCE WITHIN THE STATE SOLELY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF CALIFORNIA RESIDENCE FOR TUITION PURPOSES REGARDLESS OF THE LENGTH OF STAY IN CALIFORNIA.
http://meded.ucsd.edu/Catalog/curriculum/application.html

as an oos'er too i am interested in possibly becoming a californian for the tuition... is it not possible?!?!?! ahhhh!!!

Check out this website:
https://tritonlink.ucsd.edu/portal/...4448692267a11256ec5e210514b01ca?storyID=18935
It seems pretty doable.

I think the link you posted is for applying.

For the current students:
I just stumbled across this webpage.
Does this program even exist and have you heard of it?
http://meded.ucsd.edu/adpst/
It sounded more like ramblings and future plans, but sounded interesting so I thought I should ask.

If you get accepted, you have until May 15th to choose one school. If you get in from the acceptable pool they want a decision from you pretty soon, probably a few days. Most schools are like that - if they take people off the waitlist want a decision from you pretty quick. And in the past ppl have gotten in from the acceptable pool even at the last minute. So if you're in the acceptable pool at UCSD, or elsewhere now, you should do some thinking about what you would say when you get the email (or call) from the all-wise, all-knowing, studentdoctor.net-reading Dr. Kelly. Hi Dr. Kelly!

p.s. if you're thinking of attending a lecture to check it out, I'd second the recommendation of Dr. Kritchevsky's review on Friday at 1pm. He's also lecturing at 9 & 10:30 tomorrow, but the review's especially nice because he ties together a bunch of different threads from the week.

For the current students:
I just stumbled across this webpage.
Does this program even exist and have you heard of it?
http://meded.ucsd.edu/adpst/
It sounded more like ramblings and future plans, but sounded interesting so I thought I should ask.

hey hednej, i actually stumbled across this page too and e-mailed the office for more info on it. they were really nice and enthusiastic about it and even wanted to set up a meeting between me and dr. varki (who leads the program) during second look but, alas, he's going to be out of town.

i was mostly interested in the "SP2" program (http://meded.ucsd.edu/adpst/sp2.html). from what they said, this is already underway, and it's basically a way for med students who did not initially apply MSTP to still get a PhD (between years 2 and 3 of med school) and then get their last two years of med school tuition paid for doing it. seems like a pretty good deal, i guess. the office was supposed to send me more info about the logistics of the program, but they never did...i was wondering if there's any extra coursework, additional advising available during first and second year, etc.

hey hednej, i actually stumbled across this page too and e-mailed the office for more info on it. they were really nice and enthusiastic about it and even wanted to set up a meeting between me and dr. varki (who leads the program) during second look but, alas, he's going to be out of town.

i was mostly interested in the "SP2" program (http://meded.ucsd.edu/adpst/sp2.html). from what they said, this is already underway, and it's basically a way for med students who did not initially apply MSTP to still get a PhD (between years 2 and 3 of med school) and then get their last two years of med school tuition paid for doing it. seems like a pretty good deal, i guess. the office was supposed to send me more info about the logistics of the program, but they never did...i was wondering if there's any extra coursework, additional advising available during first and second year, etc.

Definitely keep me updated if you find out more.
I just wish their website was more organized.

phew! thanks!!! i was getting a little worried!!! hehe!

Yeah don't get worried. I wouldn't bank on getting in-state residency though, even though it's doable who knows what new regulation they might have a year from now.

PickleLuvrr is pretty much right on about the SP2 program. It got started with the current MS3 class. It's basically an alternate MSTP program. Should be a great opportunity for those who decide during med school that they want another degree. Dr. Varki gives a presentation to the 1st years at some point with representatives from most, if not all, of the PhD programs that are affiliated with the SP2 program. Talking to Dr. Varki would be a great idea if you think this program is a good fit for you.

There are a couple of additional programs that might have also gone under the radar. Dr. Kelly has a grant for a masters program that grants a Masters in Clinical Research, which takes one extra year during the clinical years. From what I understand, the grant helps defray costs for a few students each year, and may even pay a stipend on top of that, though I don't really remember. Dr. Kelly will probably present info about this program to the first year class fairly early in the year. The first beneficiaries of that grant are graduating this year (I think), so the program will be in full swing by the time my class gets to that point.

Falx

just got back from saturday's welcome back weekend. i feel pretty good about the school now!~

I agree, sassy doc! I feel really good about UCSD now -- I think that the way the curriculum is organized will work well with my personal learning style, and the students seemed happy and positive. Plus, San Diego is so beautiful -- I can't wait to start school there! :D

I agree, sassy doc! I feel really good about UCSD now -- I think that the way the curriculum is organized will work well with my personal learning style, and the students seemed happy and positive. Plus, San Diego is so beautiful -- I can't wait to start school there! :D

Any other impressions?

Okay, these are my impressions of the school, based on my experience this weekend:

The curriculum:
At first glance, there does seem to be a lot of class time at UCSD. However, for me this is mitigated by a couple factors.

First, there is a “ramping up” philosophy during the first year, meaning that during the first quarter there are fewer classes and less class time, then during winter there is a bit more, and then in spring there are five classes and three 8-to-5 days of class time per week (Tuesdays and Thursdays remain 8-to-11 or 8-to-12).

Second, there seem to be only 2-3 hours of real “lecture” time each day, with the majority of the rest of the time spent in either lab or small group discussions. At the Welcome Back day, we were broken up into smaller groups and given a sample of what a small group discussion would be like – it seems like it’s really fun! You get to apply what you are learning that week to figure out how to diagnose a patient. Plus, it was awesome to be able to work as a group to brainstorm what the disorder could be!

On Friday I sat in on a review session (the professor went over the important stuff from the week’s neurology lectures) and then a small group session for neurology. Even though I have absolutely no knowledge of neurology, I could see how the stuff the professor was emphasizing in the review session really applied to the case studies in the small group session.

Third, this year they’ve started podcasting most of the first year lectures, and plan to try to podcast second year lectures as well starting next year. Yay!

Overall, the curriculum seems focused on helping you learn the material and succeeding in med school. Their tutoring service seems really dedicated to helping students get through the first year, and the current deans seem really focused on helping the students have a positive educational experience.

The students:
They all seemed aware of UCSD’s previous reputation for competitiveness, but took pains to assure us that the new deans have filtered out the “bad seeds” or whatever and now try to accept/recruit people who are friendly and teamwork oriented. The different medical students I met all seemed really amicable and open. Also, the prospective students at the Welcome Back day were all friendly and seemed to have good attitudes.

The school:
The campus is gorgeous, and is close to the beach! There are a lot of research labs around, so for someone like me who’s interested in research, there seem to be many opportunities. At the same time, there are hospitals close by and the student-run free clinic, so there also seem to be many chances for folks who want to do clinical-type electives during the first couple of years.

The administration:
The two deans who were at the Welcome Back day were very genial, approachable, and concerned about our experience as students. The current students mentioned that the deans are also open to student input (the example they gave was the lecture podcasting – the current MS1’s approached the deans about it, and the deans made it happen).

Okay, that’s all I can think of for now. I’m happy to answer any other questions about my personal impressions from folks who couldn’t make it to the second look!

Hey Skelfie, thanks for the info. I missed it so it's all very helpful to me and if anybody has any other impressions, please go ahead and share them.

About the podcasts, are those video or audio and are those for all the lectures? Do you know what format they are in, so do you need an iPod or can you play it on other devices too?

Overall, glad to hear good things about the curriculum and the students after all the beating SD's taken over the years, :love:

the podcasts are audio only, unfortunately, but they said you don't need to have an ipod to listen to them. the students told us they're podcasting most of the lectures now, while the administrators said about 40%, so it's probably somewhere in between.

one thing i actually really liked about the curriculum was the elective requirement in the first two years. you can take all kinds of electives (apparently not necessarily even medically-related), including working at the free clinic, medical spanish, preceptorships with pretty much any kind of physician/specialist you want, and possibly even classes on the undergrad campus. not all schools offer these kinds of choices, and i've always loved electives! they'll probably be fun and will help keep me sane.

the podcasts are audio only, unfortunately, but they said you don't need to have an ipod to listen to them. the students told us they're podcasting most of the lectures now, while the administrators said about 40%, so it's probably somewhere in between.

one thing i actually really liked about the curriculum was the elective requirement in the first two years. you can take all kinds of electives (apparently not necessarily even medically-related), including working at the free clinic, medical spanish, preceptorships with pretty much any kind of physician/specialist you want, and possibly even classes on the undergrad campus. not all schools offer these kinds of choices, and i've always loved electives! they'll probably be fun and will help keep me sane.

This quarter, over 80% of our core curriculum for 1st years is podcasted. The 2nd years have only one small class podcasted (10% at most) if I understand correctly, mainly because it was our class that took the initiative.

If anyone has any final questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the insights! I couldn't make it to the welcome back weekend but your comments have sure assuaged any reservations that I might have had :D UCSD here we come!

Hey SeventhSon just out of curiosity what textbooks do you guys use for Anatomy / Biochem / Cell Bio ? Just if I should hang onto any of my undergrad texts

Hey SeventhSon just out of curiosity what textbooks do you guys use for Anatomy / Biochem / Cell Bio ? Just if I should hang onto any of my undergrad texts

You don't need a textbook for biochem because the class notes are so good, but I bought Lippincott Biochemistry anyway.

Anatomy we take 2nd year but I believe they use "essential clinical anatomy" plus netters atlas.

Cell Bio uses "Essential Cell Biology" by Alberts, but I used Big Alberts (MBoC) and it was fine, although I probably got more detail than I needed.

Here's the matchlist results for 2007. As usual, most of the matches are concentrated on the West Coast. Some numbers:

Most popular specialties:

INTERNAL MEDICINE: 24
Peds: 12
General Surgery: 12
Emergency Med: 8
Anesth: 7
Ortho Surg: 6
Psych: 6
Family Med; 5
Radiology: 4
Neurology: 4
OB/ Gyn: 4
Optho: 3
Pathology: 3
ENT: 2
Radiation Oncology:1
Neurosugery: 1

Most popular places:

UCLA: 14
UCSD: 13
Stanford: 8
Cedars-Sinai: 7
UCSF: 5
USC: 5
UC Davis: 4
UC Irvine: 3
Harvard, U Penn, U Washington, Oakland Children's, and others: 2 at each
Yale, Vanderbilt, Cornell, Columbia, and others: 1 at each

There may be a couple errors in my counting.

Falx

Where can we find the detailed matchlist?

Where can we find the detailed matchlist?

I think this was posted somewhere else, but what the hell.
Pretty impressive, eh?

Anesthesiology
Baylor University Medical Center
UC Los Angeles Medical Center
University of Southern California
UC San Francisco Medical Center
UC San Diego Medical Center
Stanford University

Emergency Medicine
University of Texas Southwestern
Pitt County Memorial Hospital
Northwestern University
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center
University Southern California
Temple University Hospital

Family Practice
Sutter Health Program
Exempla St. Joseph Hospital
Scripps Mercy Hospital

General Surgery
Beth Israel Medical Center
UC Irvine Medical Center
UC Davis Medical Center
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Western Pennsylvania Hospital

Internal Medicine
Cedars- Sinai Medical Center
Olive View/UCLA Medical Center
Scripps Mercy Hospital
UC Davis Medical Center
Massachusetts General Hospital
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals
Yale-New Haven Hospital
Columbia University Medical Center
University of Virginia
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
University of Texas Southwestern
Stanford University
California Pacific Medical Center

Medicine and Pediatrics

Medicine and Psychiatry
UC Davis Medical Center

Neurosurgery
Stanford University

Neurology
Stanford University
University of Texas Medical School
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania

Obstetrics and Gynecology
Brigham & Womens Hospital
UC San Francisco
UC Davis Medical Center

Ophthalmology
Vanderbilt University
California Pacific Medical Center

Orthopaedic Surgery
Stanford University
Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
Oregon Health Science Center
UC Irvine Medical Center

Pathology
UC Irvine Medical Center

Pediatrics
Stanford University
Phoenix Childrens Maricopa Medical Center
Stanford University
Stanford University
Oakland Children's Hospital

Psychiatry
UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience
University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals

Radiology
Stanford University
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Loma Linda University

Radiation Oncology
New York University School of Medicine

BTW, I think this might have been discussed before, but what are some of the options besides the single grad housing and the two year waitlist apartments? When should I start looking for apartments or houses? I don't have the slightest bit of familiarity with the housing market at SD.

BTW, I think this might have been discussed before, but what are some of the options besides the single grad housing and the two year waitlist apartments? When should I start looking for apartments or houses? I don't have the slightest bit of familiarity with the housing market at SD.

I moved to San Diego in August without an apartment and stayed with friends. Spent all my time looking for a place (checked out 20+ apartments!) to live and moved in 4 days later. I had few belongings and purchased almost everything once I got the apartment.

craigslist was terrible; nothing was as advertised and everything was overpriced for the area. anything decent was taken by the time I got to see it, even when I called, visited, and made an offer the day it was posted.

I found my apartment in the San Diego Reader, which is available for free at coffee shops everywhere.

Another good tactic is to pick a neighborhood you like, and drive around looking for "for rent" signs. Found some promising ones this way.

If you want to live in Hillcrest (or near it), the Gay & Lesbian Times is also a good source of listings.

You don't need a textbook for biochem because the class notes are so good, but I bought Lippincott Biochemistry anyway.

Anatomy we take 2nd year but I believe they use "essential clinical anatomy" plus netters atlas.

Cell Bio uses "Essential Cell Biology" by Alberts, but I used Big Alberts (MBoC) and it was fine, although I probably got more detail than I needed.

There's no required atlas although Netter is free if you join AMSA (which costs the same as Netter) and get their credit card.

I highly recommend not joining the Netter bandwagon, at least until you've seen the alternatives. The most popular option in med school (Littman stethosocpes, Panoptics, Netter...) is seldom the best choice.

Thanks for the textbook info, SeventhSon and lord_jeebus! Will we be covering immunology in CBB? If so, is there a recommended text for that segment? I've got a few immunology books laying around and am wondering if I should bring any of them with me when I move down to SD... (yay!)

Also, are there any other books that are useful (or required) during the first year? My birthday's coming up and, since I really have no other material wants/needs right now, I figure that I might as well put some medical school books on my wish list so I can save money in the long run. (I'm a very frugal person! :D)

Finally, what are the less expensive neighborhoods in the San Diego area? I'm probably going to have to live by myself since I have a very vociferous Siamese cat, but I'd like to find as cheap a place as possible. Do any of the local papers have online editions that might have apartment listings?

Thanks again for any help and advice!!! I'm so excited about starting UCSD this August! :)

Thanks for the textbook info, SeventhSon and lord_jeebus! Will we be covering immunology in CBB? If so, is there a recommended text for that segment? I've got a few immunology books laying around and am wondering if I should bring any of them with me when I move down to SD... (yay!)

Also, are there any other books that are useful (or required) during the first year? My birthday's coming up and, since I really have no other material wants/needs right now, I figure that I might as well put some medical school books on my wish list so I can save money in the long run. (I'm a very frugal person! :D)

Finally, what are the less expensive neighborhoods in the San Diego area? I'm probably going to have to live by myself since I have a very vociferous Siamese cat, but I'd like to find as cheap a place as possible. Do any of the local papers have online editions that might have apartment listings?

Thanks again for any help and advice!!! I'm so excited about starting UCSD this August! :)

SeventhSon is closer to this than I am but I think we still use Janeway for immuno. To be honest, I used very few textbooks first year. None of them were really necessary, except perhaps West's little book on respiratory physiology. I would recommend using your birthday for something cooler.

www.sdreader.com should be sufficient, but it's too early to look now.

The disadvantage with the less expensive SD neighborhoods is that you have to pay a lot for gas and parking, and will save less than you think. If you live within walking range of the university hospital in Hillcrest, which is cheaper than the La Jolla area, you can take a free shuttle to and from campus.

we cover immunology in CBB. The book is "Immunobiology: the immune system in health and disease, 6th ed." by Janeway.

It depends what type of person you are. I am the type that has to read books to really get something, so I have gotten most of the "required" books for first year, including Janeway. I never took immunology before, and I think Janeway is probably not the best book to read for someone seeing immuno for the first time.

If you've had immuno before, Janeway is fine, but whatever books you already have are probably fine too. You can always check out the book at the library if you think you are missing something.