*~UCSD Class of 2011~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
skelfie... i would say if nothing else, get a stethoscope. I would do the first quarter and judge whether or not you are a person like me who needs to read in order to understand something.

You can also borrow books from our class, you know. Don't binge and buy stuff that you aren't going to need until you know that you are going to use it.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone read the stuff they gave us during the interview day? I was just looking through the packet today and the Human Condition and Health Sciences are both pretty good readings.

what's up with the summer program. Anyone doing it? wondering if it is worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's up with the summer program. Anyone doing it? wondering if it is worth it.

I think it's only worth it if you're a super non-trad who's been out of school for a couple of years. Otherwise, do something that you will remember for the next four years(Not that I'm doing anything special).

Hey all!

Did anyone here go to second look day? I'm just wondering if they gave out any new information regarding housing, class, special programs, etc.

Also, did anyone hear back from the UCSD Housing? I haven't heard anything from them since the confirmation submission request. I'm starting to worry if I'll even get a place to stay in SD. Just wondering if any of you are looking for roommates or have a way to find people (medical students) looking for roommates.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm a super nerdy bibliophile so I love getting books as gifts, but I suppose it's better to wait and see what I'll need so that my friends and relatives will not waste their valuable funds buying me something I won't have time to read anyway, haha.

So how's the public transportation system in SD? If I do end up not being able to get affordable housing near campus, I'd prefer to take buses to campus if at all possible. lord_jeebus, you mentioned Hillcrest as a good neighborhood to live in for the shuttle service. Are there other neighborhoods that are "bus convenient"? I looked at the campus transportation website but since I don't know the area at all I just got more confused. *sigh*

Bunnymonkey, I went to Second Look. What sort of new information are you looking for? They didn't say anything new about housing, but they did give a lot of info about other stuff...

Silverfox, I met a couple of people at Second Look who were doing the summer program, and a couple more current students who had gone through it. One said that it was good, but in hindsight she thought it wasn't necessary. The other said that he felt that it helped him out tremendously. I suspect that the level of helpfulness might depend on your background (non-trad vs trad, science major vs non-science major). I can't afford to do the program (I must continue to earn money up to the last possible minute since, as a non-trad, my mom's income screws me out of any scholarships I would qualify for) but it sounds like the program would really help a person like me who has a humanities-only background. :(

you do not want to rely on SD buses. The Hillcrest shuttle is a good call. I strongly urge you to buy a parking pass if you do not live in La Jolla, it's worth it.

The summer program is taught by the tutorial program, which is probably our school's biggest pre-clinical strength. To my understanding they go over cardiovascular physiology and immunology. If you aren't doing anything most of the summer and have never seen these subjects before, it could be useful, but it is definitely nowhere near necessary to do well.

do you think there will be any changes to the grading system next year? (p/f)
i have heard that people have been complaining a lot about the honors grading system- i wonder if the administration will make any changes in the near future? i think ucsd would be SO MUCH MORE attractive if it were p/f- this would also help the reputation of the school as competitive to disappear...

current stuents- any thoughts?

do you think there will be any changes to the grading system next year? (p/f)
i have heard that people have been complaining a lot about the honors grading system- i wonder if the administration will make any changes in the near future? i think ucsd would be SO MUCH MORE attractive if it were p/f- this would also help the reputation of the school as competitive to disappear...

current stuents- any thoughts?

i think they're having a meeting about this next week. this is my understanding of the situation: ucsd doesn't have AOA so some students think that without the honors system there would no way for people to stand out for competitve residencies. however, getting preclinical honors in a class or two is much easier than getting AOA and it still helps you stand out. so, in a way, the system here works to your advantage. overall, i think the administration is wonderful and they seem open to discussing the H/P/F situation with students, but there is a pretty big group who likes it the way it is. hope that helps answer your questions a little bit.

ha, interesting! so whose decision was/is it to have aoa at a particular school or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
really? UCSD doesn't have AOA? My gut feeling tells me that's a good thing as there will be less gunnering.

I think we had AOA decades ago but the students voted to get rid of it.

We had a vote a couple of years ago to see if students wanted to restore it but there was overwhelming opposition. The administration seems to be pro-AOA but would not bring it back without student support.

Other schools without AOA include Stanford and Harvard and they seem to be doing fine...

To be honest I don't think that grading systems or AOA have any effect on competitiveness. Gunners will find a way to be gunners, but they are rare.

there is a class meeting this week with the office of undergraduate meded regarding pre-clinical honors. There is really not enough of a good reason to have it anymore, and I think it will be gone. Not this year, but probably a couple of years down the road.

as for that "pretty big group who likes it the way it is", we did a class poll and found that that group is a whopping 10% of our class.

hey guys, is there anything we need to do if we want to enroll?

i don't remember any info about making a deposit by 5/15 as with other schools...:confused:

:(:thumbdown:booo why not start sooner if they know it's bad
Glad to see you joined the class thread. Unfortunately, it's called a bureaucracy.
hey guys, is there anything we need to do if we want to enroll?

i don't remember any info about making a deposit by 5/15 as with other schools...:confused:

I called before and they said we don't have to do anything. We just have to withdraw from all other schools. It'd be nice if someone else could verify this.

Okay, more nerdy questions. I'm very interested in getting involved in research this upcoming fall. How do I find out who the "good" PIs are? (Meaning, people who aren't jerks or something.) I've been looking at the research at UCSD and I'm particularly interested in what's being done by Dr. Tony Reid and by Dr. Gregory Daniels. How can I find out more about them as PIs? And, how do I set up doing research with someone?

Thanks in advance! :)

i think the best thing to do is ahead of time to say you are possibily interested in their lab and ask to come to some lab meetings. You can usually get a pretty good sense of the dynamics between the lab members from doing that.

Okay, more nerdy questions. I'm very interested in getting involved in research this upcoming fall. How do I find out who the "good" PIs are? (Meaning, people who aren't jerks or something.) I've been looking at the research at UCSD and I'm particularly interested in what's being done by Dr. Tony Reid and by Dr. Gregory Daniels. How can I find out more about them as PIs? And, how do I set up doing research with someone?

Thanks in advance! :)

Jesus Skelfie, why you gotta ask all the nerdy questions, leave some of them for us ;) My nerdy question is if there's a comprehensive and up-to-date database of all the research that's being done at the medical school.

Good nerd question, Hednej! :) I'd like to know whether there's a database too.

I have a very non-nerdy question now, unfortunately. How does one go about finding a suitable "graduate student-level" roommate at UCSD? I just got off the housing waitlist for One Miramar Street, and so I have to find a compatible graduate roommate to share the two-bedroom apartment I've now reserved.

I'm an older-ish non-trad, and so I may have more difficulties finding someone, I think. Meaning: I've had more than my fair share of troublesome roommates, and so I'm a little leery of rooming with a complete stranger. Especially since I anticipate wanting to put the majority of my energy into medical school instead of dealing with roommate drama, darn it! :laugh:

The housing folks say that I have until August 14th to find a suitable roommate, so I'd like to get going sooner rather than later...

Oh, also: I wanted to say a great big Congratulations!!!!! to the people who got into UCSD off the waitlist recently! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good nerd question, Hednej! :) I'd like to know whether there's a database too.

I have a very non-nerdy question now, unfortunately. How does one go about finding a suitable "graduate student-level" roommate at UCSD? I just got off the housing waitlist for One Miramar Street, and so I have to find a compatible graduate roommate to share the two-bedroom apartment I've now reserved.

I'm an older-ish non-trad, and so I may have more difficulties finding someone, I think. Meaning: I've had more than my fair share of troublesome roommates, and so I'm a little leery of rooming with a complete stranger. Especially since I anticipate wanting to put the majority of my energy into medical school instead of dealing with roommate drama, darn it! :laugh:

The housing folks say that I have until August 14th to find a suitable roommate, so I'd like to get going sooner rather than later...
OK, for the research database, try this: http://medicine.ucsd.edu/somdepts.htm
It's very annoying because I couldn't find any research in the areas I was interested in and some of the links are dead. If anyone finds anything better, please post it.

Yeah and I feel you on the roommate deal. I was offered a spot at Miramar and they said I have to sign by July 15th, but class starts late August, right? So I turned it down. When are you going to sign, in July? Does that mean that you'll be paying one month rent by yourself ? (I hope not!)

Oh, also: I wanted to say a great big Congratulations!!!!! to the people who got into UCSD off the waitlist recently! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And yes, definitely congrats to everyone who's been accepted and welcome to the gang :D

hi, i got offerred a place at one miramar apts. should i accept? has anyone previewed the apts?

hey everyone-

it seems that several of you have gotten rooms in one miramar recently. just fyi, that housing development is still under constructions, so there will probably continue to be rooms opening up in the near future. perhaps a call to the housing office might give a little more info on whether there will be more placements in august. also, if i remember correctly, you can turn down one offer and keep your spot on the waitlist, but you have to take the 2nd if you don't want to have to reapply to the waitlist. but my totally unsubstantiated guess is that they are flying through the housing waitlists right now because of the extra availability.

as for finding a suitable roommate, one might either contact the admissions department of the medical school and see if they can put you in contact with 1st or 2nd years who are moving into one miramar, or you could just take a chance. several of my classmates roomed together for our first year without much info on each other, and those worked out for the most part.

falx

hey guys,
I just got off the waitlist earlier this week and am THRILLED. UCSD was my first choice!

anyhoo, i'm just starting to look into housing, and I see some people have been talking about that on this forum, too. I'm definitely looking to live with roommates and in a place where other med students and the med school are nearby. Does anyone know how close these new Miramar apts are to the med school?

one miramar is very close to the med school. probably 20 minute walk, 6-8 minute bike ride. also, i imagine there is going to be a shuttle, as there are already several ucsd shuttles that run in that area.

OK, for the research database, try this: http://medicine.ucsd.edu/somdepts.htm
It's very annoying because I couldn't find any research in the areas I was interested in and some of the links are dead. If anyone finds anything better, please post it.

Yeah and I feel you on the roommate deal. I was offered a spot at Miramar and they said I have to sign by July 15th, but class starts late August, right? So I turned it down. When are you going to sign, in July? Does that mean that you'll be paying one month rent by yourself ? (I hope not!)

Cool, thanks for the link, Hednej! :)

I'm facing a rather complicated work/living situation this summer, so I thought it best to accept the One Miramar offer, even though it means that I may have to pay an extra month's worth of rent for a place I won't be living in until August. I'm hoping that maybe there'll be a construction delay or something, so the move-in date will be pushed back a little, though. :D

hey guys,
I just got off the waitlist earlier this week and am THRILLED. UCSD was my first choice!

Yay! Congrats and welcome, tiddelypom! :hello: :clap:

Hmm, about the roommate thing: I will be needing roommate, so if any of you are interested, PM me and let's see if we'd be compatible! :)

About me:

I'm thirty-something, and, as my posts on the forum indicate, I am super nerdy. I'll be in a long-distance relationship with my s.o., so I'll be commuting home to L.A. almost every weekend (hence you'll have the place to yourself during that time). I'm pretty clean, and expect a roommate to clean up after him/herself, but I'm not a fascist about cleanliness or anything.

As a roommate, I'm pretty quiet. Though, if the apartment policies permit, I may occasionally bring my rather noisy (but lovable) Siamese kitty for a visit. I don't smoke and am respectful of other people's space and privacy.

Well, that's all I can think of for now! :laugh:

hi everyone! i was just accepted off of the waitlist and am (90%) positive i will be at ucsd next year. i was born and raised in SD and went to ucsd for undergrad, so if anyone has any questions about where to live/san diego/ucsd/best cheap food/best place to go out/any-other-random-or-not-random-question, feel free to ask! im so excited to meet everyone!!

Hey 789Surf! Congrats on your acceptance! Hope to see you soon at UCSD SOM. I'm in the process of searching for housing/apartments right now and I'm wondering if you can suggest some places. I'm thinking of something along the price range of 400-600 buckaroo.

hi everyone! i was just accepted off of the waitlist and am (90%) positive i will be at ucsd next year. i was born and raised in SD and went to ucsd for undergrad, so if anyone has any questions about where to live/san diego/ucsd/best cheap food/best place to go out/any-other-random-or-not-random-question, feel free to ask! im so excited to meet everyone!!

Congrats on getting in! Did they call you on a Saturday night?

Congrats, 789Surf! Hope to see you in August! :) :thumbup:

Thanks guys!! BM - the cheapest places to live that are still relatively close to campus are Mira Mesa and Clairemont Mesa, but even there it is highly unlikely that you will be able to find a one bedroom or studio for less than $750-$800. If you want a cheaper beach community, Pacific Beach is fairly close to school. Try to look for places in north PB. North PB is closer to UCSD, and often safer and quieter than south PB. Avoid Ocean Beach or anything south of here as these areas are 1) far from campus and 2) tend to have more crime. Cardiff is a little north of La Jolla (probably 15-20 minute drive without traffic), but is a really cool community right on the beach, and fairly cheap. Encinitas can be inexpensive as well (another beach community) but is a far drive, especially with traffic.You will probably be able to find a 2 bedroom in Mira Mesa for $1200. The more bedrooms, the cheaper your rent will be! I am not sure about on-campus housing, but I bet that is the least expensive option.

PPS - good websites to look for housing:1. craigslist (obvious)2. sdreader.com3. UCSD Off Campus Housing Website (you will have to call the office about a login name and password if you aren't registered at ucsd yet)http://samoa.ucsd.edu/offcampushousing/intropage.asp

thanks so much 789surf! I am in bad need of housing directions and really appreciate the input. Now if you could just fill us in on the beaches in SD, will be all set (Not that we'll have time to go or anything).:cool:

Now if you could just fill us in on the beaches in SD, will be all set (Not that we'll have time to go or anything).:cool:

Best beach (or at least I think so): Del Mar

La Jolla Shores is within walking distance from campus, and is also nice. Not my favorite though because is a huge tourist destination, so can be outrageously crowded. Plus, I don't think that it is as pretty as DM.

And of course we will have time to go to the beach! There is nothing like "studying' (I use that term loosely) at la playa, then going back to school the next day and having sand fall out of your books that you didn't really open, but at least thought about opening once or twice while basking in the sun. :)

By the way, when is everyone moving out here? Anyone doing the summer program?

Best beach (or at least I think so): Del Mar

La Jolla Shores is within walking distance from campus, and is also nice. Not my favorite though because is a huge tourist destination, so can be outrageously crowded. Plus, I don't think that it is as pretty as DM.

And of course we will have time to go to the beach! There is nothing like "studying' (I use that term loosely) at la playa, then going back to school the next day and having sand fall out of your books that you didn't really open, but at least thought about opening once or twice while basking in the sun. :)

Haha, yeah definitely. "Studying" can be fun.
I'm not doing the summer program, but is anybody doing the program for the deaf community?

Haha, yeah definitely. "Studying" can be fun.
I'm not doing the summer program, but is anybody doing the program for the deaf community?

I just met an MS2 who is in the deaf program. She seemed to like it, but also said that she had 0 time and thus felt like she didn't get as much clinical experience as some of her friends who were not in the program.

Hi, barring last minute and unlikely waitlist movement, it looks like I am going to UCSD.

My question is about phone service there. I was at the 2nd look and my TMobile phone was useless. Many people seemed to have Cingular/ATT and were getting a signal.

Does anyone know what Sprint is like around campus and in San Diego city? Ordinarily I'd prefer GSM but they have a good deal going right now on a phone I really want.

i also got an offer at Miramar Street and am looking for a suitemate. Its a 2 bdrm apt on the 4th floor.

Monthly rate is i think is around 590.

Things about me:
i have a cat
im 23 yrs old asian male
I am a relatively clean/neat person

this is the approximate floor plan: http://hds.ucsd.edu/onemiramar/images/1M_FloorPlans_A.jpg

If interested, PM me please.

Wow just got the call from Dean Kelly...I'll be joining you guys this year. I'm really excited to meet everybody this fall!

Hi, barring last minute and unlikely waitlist movement, it looks like I am going to UCSD.

My question is about phone service there. I was at the 2nd look and my TMobile phone was useless. Many people seemed to have Cingular/ATT and were getting a signal.

Does anyone know what Sprint is like around campus and in San Diego city? Ordinarily I'd prefer GSM but they have a good deal going right now on a phone I really want.

Most people I know in SD use Verizon. I use verizon and it works fairly well on campus. However, LJ and UCSD have lots of pockets where phones don't work seemingly regardless of carrier (why, I have no idea).

PS congrats on the acceptance instigata!!

Wow just got the call from Dean Kelly...I'll be joining you guys this year. I'm really excited to meet everybody this fall!

Congrats Instigata! I know you've been waiting for this for a very very very long time :D