*~UCSD Class of 2011~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrat instigata!!! What a dream come true, right?! Congrats again!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody beyond thrilled to be joining you guys next year!!!! I got the call from Dean Kelly this afternoon.

Could somebody provide a link to the website with all the pertinent information for entering students. I can't seem to find a site with things like tuition, curriculum, class schedule, etc.

Also, if there is no link, could somebody tell me how much in-state tuition is?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, barring last minute and unlikely waitlist movement, it looks like I am going to UCSD.

My question is about phone service there. I was at the 2nd look and my TMobile phone was useless. Many people seemed to have Cingular/ATT and were getting a signal.

Does anyone know what Sprint is like around campus and in San Diego city? Ordinarily I'd prefer GSM but they have a good deal going right now on a phone I really want.

after being here for four years, here is my US News & World Report ranking of phone services in SD:

1. Verizon (by a long shot): i have verizon and there is almost nowhere i have been that i don't get service
2. Cingular (distant 2nd): pretty good, but not as good as verizon
3. Sprint: BLOWS
4. Tin can phone
5. T-Mobile

Could somebody provide a link to the website with all the pertinent information for entering students. I can't seem to find a site with things like tuition, curriculum, class schedule, etc.

Also, if there is no link, could somebody tell me how much in-state tuition is?

Thanks!
Are you looking for this site? http://meded-portal.ucsd.edu/

Hey everybody beyond thrilled to be joining you guys next year!!!! I got the call from Dean Kelly this afternoon.
Congrats! Don't forget to join the facebook group!
after being here for four years, here is my US News & World Report ranking of phone services in SD:

1. Verizon (by a long shot): i have verizon and there is almost nowhere i have been that i don't get service
2. Cingular (distant 2nd): pretty good, but not as good as verizon
3. Sprint: BLOWS
4. Tin can phone
5. T-Mobile
Ah dude, you can't be serious. I have a 2 year contract with T-Mobile:scared:

Ah dude, you can't be serious. I have a 2 year contract with T-Mobile:scared:

Haha yea T-mobile isn't the best. My girlfriend has verizon and like Raamy said she gets reception EVERYWHERE, even in the library where my Cingular doesn't connect. Maybe you could switch your contract?

Best beach (or at least I think so): Del Mar

La Jolla Shores is within walking distance from campus, and is also nice. Not my favorite though because is a huge tourist destination, so can be outrageously crowded. Plus, I don't think that it is as pretty as DM.

And of course we will have time to go to the beach! There is nothing like "studying' (I use that term loosely) at la playa, then going back to school the next day and having sand fall out of your books that you didn't really open, but at least thought about opening once or twice while basking in the sun. :)

it also really depends on what kind of beach scene you want. del mar is great because it's relatively quiet, great surf, but without having to worry about decapitating someone's head because of overcrowding. also great for just chilling. drive north of campus for about 2 minutes and you're there. la jolla shores is about a 4 minute drive southwest of campus (i don't know if you could walk from campus, that would be pretty far) right near downtown la jolla. this is where most UCSD people go. you'll see the hot UCSD girls, some SDSU girls (not that many), but generally this beach is probably one of the most crowded because of it's nice atmosphere, good looking people, and good surf. pacific beach is further south, you need to take the highway for about 4 miles, and then the streets for another 2 miles or so. PB is an AWESOME hangout place in general. it's the quintessential beach town. tons of great restaurants, kind of a hippie scene in some places, hot girls everywhere (and guys for the ladies), bars, hookah lounge, cheap gas stations (haha), etc. the beach here is at the very end of the main street that runs east to west, and is huge. lots of people (but not as crowded as la jolla shores...unless you're going during 4th of july or something. then it looks like a million beached seals on the sand with not an inch to move), all very good looking, probably more SDSU girls here because it's further south. lots of college people hang out/live here. cool place. probably not the best place to live as a med student to get work done, but to each his own. finally, you have black's beach which is literally right across the street from UCSD on the west side of campus. black's is world renowned as a famous beach. there is a gate that leads to the bottom of the beach so you can have car access. it has been said that the key to this locked gate is the most sought after key in all the surfing world. because otherwise, you have to trek all the way down by foot with your surfboard to the bottom which is a pain. the only people who have the key to this gate are the ones who live in the incredibly rich la jolla farms community on the cliffs overlooking the beach, and the UCSD surf club. anyway, i digress...black's is pretty awesome, except for one thing: it's a nude beach, and not the good kind. you'll find either ugly hippie women naked (10%), or ugly hippie men (90%)...usually completely naked except for a grimy t-shirt. but it's not as bad as you think. it's a pretty secluded beach, you'll find a couple random naked people (MAYBE) here and there. but just a really awesome environment if you like the whole quiet beach atmosphere. the surf is great too. you can either party on the cliffs with some friends overlooking the sun go down, or you can go to the bottom and chill. either way it's a fun time. hope that breaks down the beaches around here. the point is, you're not going to run out of options for places to go when you want to go in the water.

hey all,

anyone looking for a place to live in the fall? granted, there are plenty of appts in the area, but if you're looking for a cheap place, i have reserved a 2bedroom apartment at one miramar apts. it's city view, third floor. rent is $609/month, I believe, including trash, gas, and water. anyone interested? PM and tell me something about yourself (to determine whether or not we're compatible).

hey everyone!

I'll be joining you guys in the fall, and am super excited!! =)

One concern I have is that I have yet to receive any emails regarding the start of the school year and other such details. Should I be worried that UCSD doesn't know I'll be going there next year?!

Also, I just accepted a spot in the single graduate apartments. Anyone have any thoughts on living there? For example, will there be other med students living there? Is living there a good idea?

All right, thanks in advance for your help.

Looking forward to September! :p

hey everyone!

I'll be joining you guys in the fall, and am super excited!! =)

One concern I have is that I have yet to receive any emails regarding the start of the school year and other such details. Should I be worried that UCSD doesn't know I'll be going there next year?!

Also, I just accepted a spot in the single graduate apartments. Anyone have any thoughts on living there? For example, will there be other med students living there? Is living there a good idea?

All right, thanks in advance for your help.

Looking forward to September! :p

Are you talking about the dorms where you have 3 other roommates? If that's what you mean, I stayed there before my interview. It's what it is: dorms. But it's super cheap and there are some med students there, although there are students from all other fields as well.

Also, has anyone read "the Kite Runner"? If you haven't, read it now that you have some free time, it's an amazing book. But did you know the author of this amazing book, Khaled Hosseini, went to UCSD SOM? (I just found out so I thought I should share)

Hey guys,

I'm currently still in the acceptable pool, but I'm hoping to join you guys very soon. If not, I have to leave the CA sun I've been in for the last 5 years and go back to snowy Chicago where I grew up :-(. Just wondering if you first years could let me know the latest dates your classmates were actually accepted from the waitlist? SD's my first choice, so I hope I can be with you guys soon!

Hey guys,

I'm currently still in the acceptable pool, but I'm hoping to join you guys very soon. If not, I have to leave the CA sun I've been in for the last 5 years and go back to snowy Chicago where I grew up :-(. Just wondering if you first years could let me know the latest dates your classmates were actually accepted from the waitlist? SD's my first choice, so I hope I can be with you guys soon!

I have friends who got in just a few days before school started, so hang in there!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP :)

This thread has been dead for a while...lets bring it back!

Has anybody received information about enrolling yet? Also, I'm kind of confused about electives. When do we take them? From what I have seen, you take them throughout your four years right? Anybody have a list of electives?

Thanks! Keep the thread alive!

Has anybody received information about enrolling yet? Also, I'm kind of confused about electives. When do we take them? From what I have seen, you take them throughout your four years right? Anybody have a list of electives?

you need to hvae a certain amount of pre-clinical elective credits by the time you are done with 2nd year. Then you take clinical electives during 4th year.

First of all, congrats, Instigata!!!! (And to all others who were accepted during my, er, hiatus from SDN.)

I'm also curious to find out info about enrolling and paying fees. I feel as though everything else is falling into place, but I don't want to miss a deadline or something. I just moved, so my mail situation is a little unreliable... :scared:

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

Anyone currently living in the Washington DC area want to meet up on thursday?

have any of you received any info on a health clearance/physical that we need to have our doc complete prior to matriculation?

Nope, not yet. I imagine we will get more info as orientation gets closer. I'm still waiting on financial aid.

I know Seventhson has mentioned a couple of books we'll be needing in the first 2 years, but does anyone know where we can get a comprehensive list of all the books required for the first or second year?

_

Last edited:
Anyone know the testing schedule for the first term? Trying to decide what weekend is best to have a friend visit in September.

Anyone know the testing schedule for the first term? Trying to decide what weekend is best to have a friend visit in September.

Yeah I also wanted to know the testing schedule. I have a wedding in October that I don't know if I can make. If anybody could post this up that would be awesome!

is anyone else getting excited???? (it is possible that i am just a super-nerd.) i think that we should plan some sort of beach extravaganza for the weekend after orientation. or before. thoughts?

is anyone else getting excited???? (it is possible that i am just a super-nerd.) i think that we should plan some sort of beach extravaganza for the weekend after orientation. or before. thoughts?

After looking at that exam schedule I am SOOO not excited :( LOL

It's alright, we can be super-nerds together. I'm super excited as well. How about the weekend after orientation, right before we start the classes but after we know everyone a bit?

I know Seventhson has mentioned a couple of books we'll be needing in the first 2 years, but does anyone know where we can get a comprehensive list of all the books required for the first or second year?

there is a seasonal listing of all required and recommended books. Here is the one from last spring and they will update it in a month probably. I remember being sent an e-mail late summer when they updated it for fall

http://bookstore.ucsd.edu/books/medical/somlist.htm

As aforementioned, don't bother buying books before you start classes, see the syllabus/class notes, and then judge if you need them. Fall quarter, there aren't any books that I felt you MUST buy (although I am a book person so I did end up buying many of them).

Above all, ASK US!!!!

Hey everyone....I am an incoming freshmen in UCSD and I was wondering I am on the waitlist for on-campus housing, will I be able to get on-campus housing or not? Is there a good chance that I will get on-campus housing?

Question for current students...

I was wondering where you eat? I went to undergrad at UCSD and used to love club med, but this passed year it just went downhill. They are going to finish that extension of PC soon, which will provide more dining areas. But for now, where exactly do you eat?

Question for current students...

I was wondering where you eat? I went to undergrad at UCSD and used to love club med, but this passed year it just went downhill. They are going to finish that extension of PC soon, which will provide more dining areas. But for now, where exactly do you eat?

RIP Old Club Med...

The correct answer is at home, because you didn't go to lecture.

But if you must, the VA sandwich shop is pretty decent and affordable (not part of the main cafeteria, keep going straight down the hall from campus and follow the smell of pizza.

Or Price Center.

They used to have these pretty solid $1.70 cold premade sandwiches at club med that were money, but they raised the price to $2.50 and I promptly boycotted. Other than that, I have never bought a meal at club med.

the VA sandwich and pizza places are solid and not too expensive. They also have frequent buyer cards, which not many people know about. You have to ask.

I had no idea the new PC is supposed to be done this year???? When?

So, I'm trying to plan what I'm going to take to S.D. for the first week (orientation)... I'll be going home every weekend to my s.o. and cats, so am thinking about only bringing enough clothes for the week (and thus saving room in my car for the other apartment-y crap I'll be transporting that week).

Hence, the question is: is there a "recommended" dress code for the orientation week? I remember there was a thread about this somewhere, but it was for other schools, I think. Is it business casual? Casual? Is it okay to wear nicer pants and a tee shirt? Years of "transitioning" to med school have left me with one nice interview suit and a bunch of worn-out nice-ish clothes. And, of course, tons of casual attire...

Yay, I'm getting so excited about school -- I can't believe it's only two weeks now! :)

So, I'm trying to plan what I'm going to take to S.D. for the first week (orientation)... I'll be going home every weekend to my s.o. and cats, so am thinking about only bringing enough clothes for the week (and thus saving room in my car for the other apartment-y crap I'll be transporting that week).

Hence, the question is: is there a "recommended" dress code for the orientation week? I remember there was a thread about this somewhere, but it was for other schools, I think. Is it business casual? Casual? Is it okay to wear nicer pants and a tee shirt? Years of "transitioning" to med school have left me with one nice interview suit and a bunch of worn-out nice-ish clothes. And, of course, tons of casual attire...

Yay, I'm getting so excited about school -- I can't believe it's only two weeks now! :)

last year everyone dressed nice the first day, about half of us dressed nice the second day, and by wednesday everyone was in shorts and flipflops :)

Of course, everyone dressed up for white coat ceremony on fri

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but what is "business casual"? Is it a dress shirt with slacks? Is it the same as semi-formal? I haven't a clue. Please inform me. Thanks.

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but what is "business casual"? Is it a dress shirt with slacks? Is it the same as semi-formal? I haven't a clue. Please inform me. Thanks.

If you're a dude, something with a collar and pants (not jeans) should be fine.

To be honest, you could probably wear anything to orientation but I'm not sure what would happen because not many people dare to do so.

It's pretty easy to find out what different dress codes mean on google. To answer the question, business casual is slacks and a dress shirt, no tie for guys. Semi-formal is a suit, usually dark, and tie for guys.

Though orientation is supposed to be business casual, like many others have said, it is only really followed the 1st day. I mean, we're in San Diego in the summer, no one wants to dress up all day.

falx