~*UCSD Class Of 2012*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What are people's thoughts on Archstone La Jolla Apartments at 8506 Villa La Jolla Drive, La Jolla, CA?.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm looking for my own apartment (1 bedroom / 1 bath) with a washer/dryer in the aparment. Any other nice apartments?

It'd also be nice to buy a condo to live at for all 4 years, so if anyone knows any good condos for purchase let me know.

Buying a condo right now would not be a good idea; San Diego real estate prices are in the midst of a huge correction and are declining every month.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you enlighten us as to what goes on during UCSD's second look? I'm just interested because I may not be able to make it (not because of UCLA)

well I helped coordinate it last year and I went to it 2 years ago. usually on a friday night there is a barbecue where you meet current students. Then the following day you get some of the main educational deans giving you talks about the school in the morning, then they try to show you some facilities/random activities in the afternoon.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What are people's thoughts on Archstone La Jolla Apartments at 8506 Villa La Jolla Drive, La Jolla, CA?.

I live there right now. It's kinda expensive but I also walk to campus and avoid paying for a parking pass. I haven't had any problems up to this point.

well I helped coordinate it last year and I went to it 2 years ago. usually on a friday night there is a barbecue where you meet current students. Then the following day you get some of the main educational deans giving you talks about the school in the morning, then they try to show you some facilities/random activities in the afternoon.

are there any MSTP activities? Did you do a summer rotation before MS1? I guess your situation is different though since you were UCSD ugrad right?

And where can i get UCSD Medicine gear? The USC and UCLA online bookstores have tons of UCLA medicine shirts, sweatshirts, caps, etc. Why doesn't the UCSD bookstore have this?

hm... I remember seeing liscence plate covers, pens, binders, and all kinds of medicine accessories before but now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing shirts or sweaters....

Maybe some of the med students / residents will know, I'll ask them at work.

Do you care about being on the shuttle to go to campus or would you rather drive? I believe archstone is near a shuttle route so that might be good?

The condos near campus go for something like 300k for a 2 bedroom and 180k for a one bedroom.

i'd actually prefer driving, so living a bit further from campus wouldn't matter too much for me. Know any nicer places to live? I'd like to have a view of the ocean...

-buying a condo ~350k
-renting a 1-bedroom, no more than 2k/month

Hi everybody! Congrats on getting into UCSD :) This is my only acceptance so far, and I'm quite excited to have it, though I am hoping from good news from a couple other places. I'm really looking forward to meeting you all at second look weekend!

-buying a condo ~350k
-renting a 1-bedroom, no more than 2k/month

You may be able to find a small 1br condo with an ocean view for between 350 - 400K, but I wouldn't bet on it.
In general, I'd look at any of the towns north of UCSD: North County Coastal. They are all nice. PB is good if you like the younger bar scene, although north PB, where it boarders on La Jolla, is a little more upscale. I'd avoid going further south that PB, unless you know the area well. Some neighborhoods are sketchy, but there are also some really nice spots that are still affordable.
Also, the further inland you go, the lower the prices. If you're looking to buy in the 350 range, consider some of the town out along the 56, before the 15. Most are pretty decent and your 350 might get you a small house.
If you can hold out on buying for a year or so, the current market is being flooded with foreclosures and prices are dropping fast. You might get a good deal by waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just found out today that I'm in at UCSD!!!! I AM THRILLED! I am OOS and was not expecting this. :) I hope to meet you all at the revisit weekend. :)

are there any MSTP activities? Did you do a summer rotation before MS1? I guess your situation is different though since you were UCSD ugrad right?

there were some random MSTP activities during the summer beforehand, and we usually go on a retreat a week before school starts. I did a summer rotation before MS-1 but it is not required (I'm glad i did it for what it's worth). Are you an MSTP acceptee? Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I just found out today that I'm in at UCSD!!!! I AM THRILLED! I am OOS and was not expecting this. :) I hope to meet you all at the revisit weekend. :)
How exciting! Looking forward to meeting you in a month!

i just found out today that i got in as well!!!

i just found out today that i got in as well!!!

Congrats everyone!!! I heard back in January, and I'm stoked for revisit. Do you guys know if they have sent out info on student hosts for second look? Can't wait to meet you all!

I am also excited about second visit! I have not yet received an RSVP for the weekend or info on student hosting...I would imagine we should be getting that soon.

Congrats everyone!!! I heard back in January, and I'm stoked for revisit. Do you guys know if they have sent out info on student hosts for second look? Can't wait to meet you all!

I am also excited about second visit! I have not yet received an RSVP for the weekend or info on student hosting...I would imagine we should be getting that soon.
The only info I have are dates and basic event timeline (i.e. beach party, etc.). I hope more info comes soon! I've already booked plane tickets... I hope the timing works out :)

Housing:

Is it basically impossible to get into Coast?

Accepted to UCSD today!

Really excited and looking forward to meeting all of you!!

:love:

where's the UCSD SOM Class of 2012 facebook group?

once i hear back from Geffen, I will (or actually, i hope i don't have to... )

You may be able to find a small 1br condo with an ocean view for between 350 - 400K, but I wouldn't bet on it.
In general, I'd look at any of the towns north of UCSD: North County Coastal. They are all nice. PB is good if you like the younger bar scene, although north PB, where it boarders on La Jolla, is a little more upscale. I'd avoid going further south that PB, unless you know the area well. Some neighborhoods are sketchy, but there are also some really nice spots that are still affordable.
Also, the further inland you go, the lower the prices. If you're looking to buy in the 350 range, consider some of the town out along the 56, before the 15. Most are pretty decent and your 350 might get you a small house.
If you can hold out on buying for a year or so, the current market is being flooded with foreclosures and prices are dropping fast. You might get a good deal by waiting.

If you go north of UCSD (I know sorrento valley has some good condos) it might be okay for the first two years but some of the 4th years are telling me that it might get rough the next two years because you have to drive to various clinics and hospitals south of UCSD a lot and you have to get there on time which means getting up extra early to beat traffic. But if driving is not an issue, I guess it's no problem.

But on a side note, one of the UCSD free clinics is in PB and if you really want to get involved with that (I am), then living at PB might be a plus? Yeah there are some sketchy neighborhoods and young bars, but it's also just a short stroll to the beach. And honestly, who doesn't like studying anatomy notes at the beach?;)

The only info I have are dates and basic event timeline (i.e. beach party, etc.). I hope more info comes soon! I've already booked plane tickets... I hope the timing works out :)

Where did you find that?

hey guys and gals-

congrats on getting into UCSD (and all the other places). I'm an MS3 at UCSD, and am happy to give my opinion on stuff if anyone wants another view besides lordjeebus and seventhson. they both do a great job, but it's always better to have more info. for what it's worth, ucsd is pretty awesome, and will only continue to improve.

also, match day was today. things went very very well.

falx

Where did you find that?
I got an email from Jennifer White with this info. The subject of the email was ""Save-the-Date" for UCSD School of Medicine Welcome Back". It says:

Please note the general times:

Friday, April 18th, 2008
5:00 - 9:00 pm Beach party/dinner with current UCSD Medical Students.
Location TBA

Saturday, April 19th, 2008
8:00 am - 5:00 pm Various events with Deans, Faculty, and Students.
Locations TBA - all events will be on the UCSD campus.

5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Optional Dinner

There is no need to RSVP at this time. We will forward more detailed information soon and ask for you to RSVP at that time. .

Matched at UCSD today (Anesthesiology) :)

I may have the fortune of working with some of you in the OR!
Congratulations!

Man it's weird how there's still no contact with more details about second look weekend when it's less than a month away.

Hey silverlining, my cousin Chris says you're his RA and TA at stanford. I'll see you at second look.

Hey silverlining, my cousin Chris says you're his RA and TA at stanford. I'll see you at second look.
Whoa! You're Chris' cousin? He lives 2 doors down from me :) He has mentioned a couple times a cousin who is applying as well.

Can't wait to meet you! PM me your info if you want.

could one of the current students possibly post UCSD's 2008 match list?

thanks!

Hey-

Here's a breakdown on the Match List. There may be an error or two, but here goes.

Internal Medicine (23)
UCSD (5)
UCLA (4) - includes 1 Harbor UCLA
UCSF (2)
Scripps Mercy (2) - in San Diego
Duke
Cedars Sinai
Yale
Iowa
Scripps La Jolla
Boston University
Kaiser LA
St. Mary's - Long Beach
Huntington Memorial
NY Hospital - Queens

Family Medicine (17)
Scripps Mercy (3)
UCLA (3) - 2 at Harbor
UCI (2)
Long Beach Memorial (2)
UCSD
U of Arizona
UCSF
Group Health Cooperative - Seattle
Sutter Sacramento
Kaiser
O'Conner Hospital - San Jose

General Surgery (13)
UCSD (2)
UCLA (2)
UC Davis
Methodist - Houston
USC
Cedars Sinai
UCSF
Huntington Memorial
Loma Linda
Caritas - Boston
San Joaquin General

Peds (13)
UCLA (5) - 1 at Harbor
UCSD (5) - includes 1 Child Neurology
Stanford (2)
U of Arkansas

Emergency Medicine (9)
UCSD (3)
Harbor UCLA (2)
Johns Hopkins
U of IL - Chicago
U of Buffalo
Pitt County Memorial

Radiology (7)
UCSD (5)
Stanford
UCSF

Anesthesia (7)
UCSD (3)
Stanford
Mayo
Loma Linda
Maimonides - NY

OBGYN (6)
Santa Clara Valley General (2)
UCSD
UCLA
Ohio State
Jackson Memorial (Miami)

Orthopedics (6)
UCLA (2) - 1 at Harbor
USC
U of Iowa
Ohio State
UC Davis

Neurosurgery (3)
Mt. Sinai
U of South Florida
Loyola - Chicago

Neurology (3)
UC Davis (2)
UCSD

Pathology (3)
UCLA (3) - 2 at Harbor

Psych (3)
UCSD
UC Davis
St. Vincent's - NY

Med/Peds (2)
USC
Ohio State

ENT (2)
NY Presbyterian - Cornell/Columbia
U of New Mexico

Psych/Family (1)
UC Davis

Derm (1)
UCI

Optho (1)
UCSD

Top places overall
UCSD 28
UCLA 22 (including Harbor)
UC Davis 6
UCSF 5
Stanford 4
USC 3

and a smattering of others......

falx

Anyone for sure sticking with UCSD yet?

Anyone for sure sticking with UCSD yet?

i am! :) i was excited for one day because i thought i could make second look, but i actually won't be able to make it. so i guess ill see you guys in late august! can someone who goes to second look let us know how it goes? :)

i am! :) i was excited for one day because i thought i could make second look, but i actually won't be able to make it. so i guess ill see you guys in late august! can someone who goes to second look let us know how it goes? :)

Yeah sure, I'll be at second look. Any execuse to go the beach while we still have the time is a good reason!

Oh and looks i'm down 100% for UCSD too. See you all in class.

Hey, congrats to all the new acceptances!!! :thumbup: I haven't posted in a while, so it was great to read all the new happenings!

Special congrats to Lord Jeebus on your match!!! :D:D:D I'm so happy for you. That's a heck of a lot of hard work poured into that acceptance, I know. Hopefully, we'll be following in your footsteps (and maybe meeting you in person) in the next few years!

I will definitely be at second look weekend, and I'm 99.9% sure it's gonna be UCSD next year. I'm waiting on some news about financial aid, then I'll fill in the .1%!!!

I'm so excited...

Just want to say...I've heard a lot about competitive atmospheres, etc. at UCSD... I hope we can make the class of 2012 a really supportive and positive group! Looking forward to meeting all of you!!!:)

Just want to say...I've heard a lot about competitive atmospheres, etc. at UCSD... I hope we can make the class of 2012 a really supportive and positive group! Looking forward to meeting all of you!!!:)

Hear Hear

Who cares about honors anyways?!
*turns around and starts reading the immunology book ahead of time*
j/k :laugh:

By the way, thanks for the match list numbers.

What I found so exciting about the list was the number of So. Cal matches, especially UCSD matches. It looks like about 1/4 of the class matched in San Diego. That is awesome! It impressed me that UCSD seemed to really "keep their own" this year, especially in Rads and Anesth (two fields in which I am interested). Another 1/4 went to UCLA (a friendly neighbor). For those of us who love So. Cal, this bodes well for us, yes?

I would love to spend the next eight + years in the most beautiful place on earth (in my opinion.) Thanks again for the info from those who have gone before us!

did nobody apply for a plastic surgery residency? Or are they included in with general surgery?

What about ENT (otolaryngology)?

For those of us who love So. Cal, this bodes well for us, yes?

Definitely!

Most of my friends got their #1 or #2. Quite a few people leaving CA wanted to go to those out-of-state programs.

There's also variety in the places where people want to go within CA. For instance, I've heard that out of those six ortho matches, five matched at their #1 and one at his #2.

Nonetheless we had a lot of interest in staying in San Diego this year. Some people who could have gone anywhere chose to stick around.