~*UCSD Class Of 2012*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GulabJamooMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
join in guys!

not 100% sure i'm going, but there's a VERY good chance...

Members don't see this ad.

corker, my love, where are you?

I love it when you talk sweet. :love::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am so excited about next year! Hope some more friends post on this site!!! We're here, guys! Come on in!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be jumping the gun a bit, but I thought we might as well get the ball rolling on next year! Thank you to GulabjamooMD for starting this thread! I feel privileged to be part of the group who is going to be attending next year. If any current students want to jump in and start adding advice about books, syllabi, things to consider, etc., feel free. I know it's several months away, but I'm ready to go!!! I've waited so long for this!!!

UCSD rocks!!!

So is UCSD strictly pass/fail all four years?

Does anyone know where we can get UCSD School of Medicine apparel? The med website doesn't have any real SD Medicine gear (it's all just breast cancer awareness stuff), and the normal bookstore webiste doesn't have any special school of medicine stuff. Thanks!

So is UCSD strictly pass/fail all four years?

From what I understand, the first quarter is pass/fail only. For the remainder of MS1 and MS2, it is Honors/Pass/Fail, with the top 10% or so receiving honors. I think I read in the handbook that there is no AOA, and no class ranking at all. I can't remember what I read about grading for clerkships, though. Hope this helps.

By the way, where is everyone?

Hi all!
I am a first year med student at UCSD, and I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance!!!

Please message me or post any questions you might have about school; I'd love to help out!

From what I understand, the first quarter is pass/fail only. For the remainder of MS1 and MS2, it is Honors/Pass/Fail, with the top 10% or so receiving honors. I think I read in the handbook that there is no AOA, and no class ranking at all. I can't remember what I read about grading for clerkships, though. Hope this helps.

By the way, where is everyone?

So, grading is as follows:
First quarter is P/F, then the rest of the first two years are Honors/P/F. However, we are working on getting rid of honors (the faculty is actually very receptive to it) but the problem is the lack of AOA as well. AOA is a very competitive med school honors society; UCSD is one of only 4 schools that doesn't have it. The only school (I think) that doesn't have either AOA OR preclinical honors is Stanford. Usually you have to have one of the other (for residency competitiveness), so it is kind of a "which is the lesser evil" type deal.

Clerkships at UCSD, like most schools, are Honors/P/F.

As for the old question about UCSD SOM gear, the bookstore itself has a small selection of stuff (sweatshirts, t-shirts, mugs, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the post! So do you think they'll be changing things for the entering class, or will changes probably not affect anyone for a couple of years? Are they thinking of adopting AOA and abandoning honors?

So, grading is as follows:
First quarter is P/F, then the rest of the first two years are Honors/P/F. However, we are working on getting rid of honors (the faculty is actually very receptive to it) but the problem is the lack of AOA as well. AOA is a very competitive med school honors society; UCSD is one of only 4 schools that doesn't have it. The only school (I think) that doesn't have either AOA OR preclinical honors is Stanford. Usually you have to have one of the other (for residency competitiveness), so it is kind of a "which is the lesser evil" type deal.

Clerkships at UCSD, like most schools, are Honors/P/F.

As for the old question about UCSD SOM gear, the bookstore itself has a small selection of stuff (sweatshirts, t-shirts, mugs, etc.)

Hope this helps!

For what it's worth, at an interview yesterday I was told that they're treating our Gold Humanism Society like other schools' AOA. n=1, but still.

Preclinical honors are meaningless everywhere and is not a substitute for AOA. Clinical honors are important and indicates pretty much the same thing as AOA. The Dean's letter does indicate how many people get Honors in each clinical clerkship (not preclinical courses) so residency program directors do get an idea of where you stand. The Dean's letter also includes the "adjective" which implies roughly where your class rank would be if we had one.

UCSD students have regularly been given the opportunity to vote on the establishment of an AOA chapter and it always has been voted down by a huge majority (my class did by about an 85% to 15% margin; I voted for AOA at the time but have changed my mind on the issue since).

Due to the inevitably political nature of the AOA selection process, I think AOA would do more to produce so-called "competitiveness" than preclinical honors (which you really ought to ignore, because the program directors will when you're a 4th year [except perhaps Pathology residency directors])

Clerkship grading:

Officially, the grades are H/P/F. However, there is also the designation of "near honors," which does not appear on the transcript but is included in the Dean's Letter. The breakdown of H/NH/P is roughly 15%/15%/70%. Within Pass there are also designations like "very good" and "good" but I don't know what they all are and if there's a uniform standard for their use.

Clerkships also have very extensive narrative evaluations, which are very important.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to contribute to the pre-med/med student paranoia, but I met w/ my advisor here a couple of weeks ago and she is the head of a very competitive residency committee and she definitely told me I needed to honor pre-clincally. She showed me her evaluation sheet of applicants and of the five things she was giving numerical rankings too pre-clincal honors made the list. I'm more skeptical than surf about the odds of the honors designation change occuring.

Just want to say hi :) hope to see you guys at second look day! (They haven't told us when it is yet right?)

Just want to say hi :) hope to see you guys at second look day! (They haven't told us when it is yet right?)

I've been wondering the same thing. I only live 2 1/2 hrs from SD, so I definitely want to go!!! Could someone post if they know when it's going to be? Or I could be less lazy and call them myself. Then I'll post it for you. :D

I called this afternoon. They haven't scheduled it, yet, but last year it was in April. If I hear anything, I'll post again.

I've been wondering the same thing. I only live 2 1/2 hrs from SD, so I definitely want to go!!! Could someone post if they know when it's going to be? Or I could be less lazy and call them myself. Then I'll post it for you. :D

They sent out the email today. It's going to be on April 18 and 19. See you guys there!

hey does ucsd give out any grants or scholarships ... does it help to call and say id come if i get more money (haha in better words of course)

Hey kuhlguy! I called the financial aid office to discuss my situation (which is more need-based), but the lady I spoke with was extremely helpful. Since you already have an acceptance, I would think a very POLITE call explaining your circumstances would be appropriate. I know they have MANY merit-based scholarships (see the handbook online) and they may keep you in mind for some of those, particularly since your stats are high. I don't think it could hurt. Your FA package will be based strictly on need, otherwise, so why not ask for merit-based help?

Good luck! I know you have some great interviews and choices, but I'm convinced that San Diego is OVERALL the best. The weather, alone, is an extremely compelling factor. From what I've seen of the school (my sister also graduated from UCSD undergrad), the opportunities and quality of instruction are excellent. I'm pretty sure I want to stay in Cali for residency, too, so the match list was pretty persuasive for me.

If you haven't seen the list, let me know and I'll post it. One of the current students e-mailed it to me. It was jaw-dropping, seriously. And for those of you that would flame me for taking their match list into consideration, just SAVE IT! I'm aware that a million factors go into it...but it is still persuasive and encouraging to me! :D

They sent out the email today. It's going to be on April 18 and 19. See you guys there!

Thanks for posting, Voltage! I got the email, too, and forgot to post. Hope to see you all there!!!

Hey everyone! I haven't posted here yet because I'm still uncertain where I'll end up, but I have been reading the thread and imagining being in a class with you all :)
Anyways, Corker, what handbook talked about merit scholarships? Kuhlguy, could you let me know what they say if you call and ask about money (PM If you don't want to post it?) While its clearly not the best reason to decide, the potential to get merit aid could have an impact on where I end up going. Thanks!
I hope everyone has a good weekend!

I don't want to contribute to the pre-med/med student paranoia, but I met w/ my advisor here a couple of weeks ago and she is the head of a very competitive residency committee and she definitely told me I needed to honor pre-clincally. She showed me her evaluation sheet of applicants and of the five things she was giving numerical rankings too pre-clincal honors made the list. I'm more skeptical than surf about the odds of the honors designation change occuring.

n=1. Seriously, many schools don't even have pre-clinical honors so it that can't separate many candidates anyway.

Hi Amers! Your profile is awesome, by the way. Here is the link to the financial aid brochure:

http://meded.ucsd.edu/assets/25/File/fin_aid_brochure07_08_SOM.pdf

I got it from their information website (the same one that explains the admissions process, etc.).

Good luck! Too many great choices for you! You can't go wrong with UCSD!!!

Thanks Corker! I especially like this merit scholarship:
The Clara M. Love Scholarship is awarded to a needy student meeting the following criteria:
1) The recipient shall have met the scholastic requirements of the school.
2) The recipient shall take the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
3) The recipient shall be a non-smoker, shall not use dangerous drugs, and shall not be a habitual user of alcoholic beverages.
In addition, preference for the scholarship shall be given to:
1) The descendents of either of the sisters, Manta Love North and Grace Love Vaughn to the 10th generation provided that he or she meets the requirements above; and applies for such aid.
2) Any other qualified American citizen who meets the requirements set forth above.
I wonder how we'd prove we're qualified? :p
I feel very lucky to have the choices I have- it's going to be a hard choice come April. I grew up in Southern California though, so the chance to be close to my family at UCSD is particularly appealing.

We need to bump this thread up, so...

what about housing? I'm on the waiting list for Mesa (I'm a non-trad) and should have priority, but what are the Mesa apts. like? I would sure love to see some pics if someone wants to share. I called to ask if I could tour an apt. and the housing office said they don't do that.

Do Mesa apts. have a dishwasher? Are the cabinets still from 1960, or have they been remodeled at all? I would be so willing to gut the place and install new hardwood flooring, cabinets, countertops, fresh (modern) paint, etc., but the contract says NO GO!!! Why not? If I'm gonna live there for four years and I'm making it more modern (nothing wacko...just warm neutrals, etc.), why would they object? OK...I know why....just wish I could make it a little more livable. And I don't mean to be ungrateful...I know they're a real bargain...I'd just love to be able to make some improvements at my own expense (after all, the labor is AT LEAST half the cost, and I would do it on my own!)

Any advice on the comforts or drawbacks of Mesa?

Where are you guys going to live? Miramar? Off campus?

Hey everybody,
Looks like this thread still has very few people, but those of you in the UCSD class of '12, werd up!! I feel so privileged to be able to say that. Anyways, hope to see all of you on second look weekend. I currently live in the san diego area and went to UCSD as an undergrad, so if you have any ?'s feel free to post or PM me.

Hi! I guess I'm new here, but I am excited to be able to write in this thread! :) I'm still not 100% sure whether I'm gonna go to UCSD, but it's a really high possibility.

I did go check out the on-campus housing, and they look really fabulous! But it is kinda scary how the average wait time is 1-3 years The lady at the Housing Office said that One Miramar and Mesa, North have the highest turnover rates (Mesa, South and Mesa, Central are the most popular, so it may be hard to get that one unless you are married or have children).

As far as the waitlist, you can still easily get a room in subsidized housing if you're willing to share a 2 or 3 bedroom with one of the many med students who will be seeking roommates this summer (and you will get access to the med school housing forum).

I think Mesa has dishwashers but I'm not certain. It's not super new but it's not bad at all.

I've spent all four years in my own place in Hillcrest, which has been great. Free shuttle to campus, 5 minute walk to the hospital. Lots of restaurants, bars, and stores in walking distance, unlike the UCSD campus.

Thanks for the info, guys. I called Mesa today and they said no dishwashers. Not the end of the world, though. I guess "beggars can't be choosers." It's just a big transition (as a non-traditional student) to ease into this new poverty-stricken life for the next eight or so years. :laugh: But, I will adapt and survive.:thumbup:

I would still love to see some interior pics of Mesa. The housing lady said I can't tour the apartments and, in fact, I can't even SEE an apt. before accepting a housing offer and signing a lease! Sounds a little crazy, but I guess they figure that the rent is so cheap....just like it or lump it!!! So if anyone knows anybody who currently lives there, I would love to see some pics...OR, if someone would be willing to let me take a peek at their apartment when I'm there at second look weekend (which is 99% for sure), I would be SO GRATEFUL!!!

Really great to hear from all the new people on the thread! I'm very excited and have pretty much decided on UCSD for next year! I have to take a look at FA packages, but UCSD is looking like the "one."

Thanks again for the info, guys. I'm really looking forward to meeting everybody!!!:hardy:

Does anyone know when the financial aid application will be out? Also, around what time are we to expect the details of our aid package?

Fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible. I believe the FA apps come out in March, and awards are made in August. But, you can call the office in the spring (before May 15, I presume) to get an estimate of your offer. I have spoken with the FA office a couple of times and they are extremely nice and helpful. Hope this helps.

Fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible. I believe the FA apps come out in March, and awards are made in August. But, you can call the office in the spring (before May 15, I presume) to get an estimate of your offer. I have spoken with the FA office a couple of times and they are extremely nice and helpful. Hope this helps.

Corker,

Thanks for the info.. that does help me quite a bit.
Take care

For what it's worth, at an interview yesterday I was told that they're treating our Gold Humanism Society like other schools' AOA. n=1, but still.

Preclinical honors are meaningless everywhere and is not a substitute for AOA. Clinical honors are important and indicates pretty much the same thing as AOA. The Dean's letter does indicate how many people get Honors in each clinical clerkship (not preclinical courses) so residency program directors do get an idea of where you stand. The Dean's letter also includes the "adjective" which implies roughly where your class rank would be if we had one.

UCSD students have regularly been given the opportunity to vote on the establishment of an AOA chapter and it always has been voted down by a huge majority (my class did by about an 85% to 15% margin; I voted for AOA at the time but have changed my mind on the issue since).

Due to the inevitably political nature of the AOA selection process, I think AOA would do more to produce so-called "competitiveness" than preclinical honors (which you really ought to ignore, because the program directors will when you're a 4th year [except perhaps Pathology residency directors])

First of all, congrats to all who got in. Medical school is an amazing period of learning and self-discovery. You probably cannot go wrong at any school.

Second, what lord jeebus said. She/he is on the mark. Nobody cared about preclinical anything on the interview trail this year, and this was at the most competitive programs in my field. These honors are a non-issue if they are there or not.

Third, regarding the Gold Humanism Honors Society the "Schools who have selected students acknowledge that election to membership of the GHHS constitutes a significant honor, comparable to being selected to AOA". This is from the Gold Society and is backed up by what I was told by PD's during interviews at 4 different residency programs this year (now n=5, we are gaining power).

Fourth, regarding absence of dishwashers in apts, get a portable DW. They are cheap, reliable and a lifesaver.

I've really enjoyed this school, with Dean Mandel in place I suspect a lot of interesting plans are about to come to fruition to make it even better.

If Q's PM me.

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone! I grew up in san diego and looking forward to going back.

Anyone know which is the "best" housing location? I'm looking for a social atmosphere since I'm a fresh out of college traditional student

have any accepted students received the financial aid application or RSVP for second visit yet? if not, when should we expect them?

have any accepted students received the financial aid application or RSVP for second visit yet? if not, when should we expect them?

I called last week to see if the RSVP's had been sent out and was told they had not yet gone out. They will come in a separate email.

I was going to check again on the FA supplement. I have been checking periodically. I'll post if I notice anything changing, and I'll try to give a call tomorrow to see when the apps are expected to come out. If you hear anything, please let the rest of us know! I'm so excited! Only a few months left!

Anyone know what goes on at second look?

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone! I grew up in san diego and looking forward to going back.

Anyone know which is the "best" housing location? I'm looking for a social atmosphere since I'm a fresh out of college traditional student

Hi, I'm just about sure that I'll be staying at UCSD (I was in UCSD for bioengineering undergrad). Hope to meet you all next year!

For the housing issue, it's just eaiser to talk to people your age living on cammpus I think. I did first two years undergrad on campus and the next two off. the problem is if you want more social life you are going to have to drive quite a bit to campus (I consider a 10 minute drive quite a bit :oops:). If you live in Pacific Beach there will be lots of college (younger people, cheaper drinks) bars and clubs; plus there's the beach. Or you an go to Hillcrest which has lots of decent restaurants and clubs (being next to down town sd helps too). But it might suck for the first two years of med school since it's further from campus until you have to do rotations at the UCSD medical center.

But honestly, how much social life are we going to get as med students? :D

So... where are all you guys from? Anyone in so cal right now?

Or you an go to Hillcrest which has lots of decent restaurants and clubs (being next to down town sd helps too). But it might suck for the first two years of med school since it's further from campus until you have to do rotations at the UCSD medical center.

But honestly, how much social life are we going to get as med students? :D

One good thing about Hillcrest is the free shuttle between UCSD Med Center and campus. If you're close enough to the hospital, you can catch the shuttle and not have to drive (or pay for campus parking, which sucks)

One good thing about Hillcrest is the free shuttle between UCSD Med Center and campus. If you're close enough to the hospital, you can catch the shuttle and not have to drive (or pay for campus parking, which sucks)

Oh yeah forgot about that. But it's still a good 30 minutes of shuttle, which means you'll have to get up about an hour or more ahead of time to get to class.

What about living in Pacific Beach? How far is that from campus?

And where can i get UCSD Medicine gear? The USC and UCLA online bookstores have tons of UCLA medicine shirts, sweatshirts, caps, etc. Why doesn't the UCSD bookstore have this?

And where can i get UCSD Medicine gear? The USC and UCLA online bookstores have tons of UCLA medicine shirts, sweatshirts, caps, etc. Why doesn't the UCSD bookstore have this?

I think it does, but each 4th year class will be making its own (better) gear to raise class funds, so get that instead

I think it does, but each 4th year class will be making its own (better) gear to raise class funds, so get that instead

Can you enlighten us as to what goes on during UCSD's second look? I'm just interested because I may not be able to make it (not because of UCLA)