~*UCSD Class Of 2012*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally let go of my last acceptance so I will be there too!

Members don't see this ad.

I finally let go of my last acceptance so I will be there too!

Man, letting go of those hard won acceptances it tough. But, the sweet beach weather this week should help brush away any lingering doubts, if there were any.

Anyone going to be at DDW this weekend and next week?

Members don't see this ad :)
did i withdraw by mail or phone? is that what you mean?

Hey everybody! I just got accepted off the waitlist over the weekend and wanted to say hi! Very excited about getting into UCSD and getting to stay in wonderful Southern Cal for at least another four years!

Hey everybody! I just got accepted off the waitlist over the weekend and wanted to say hi! Very excited about getting into UCSD and getting to stay in wonderful Southern Cal for at least another four years!

Congrats! UCSD is gonna be awesome!:thumbup:

Hey everyone! I was just looking at the calendar for next year. Could someone (maybe a current medical student) fill me in on what exactly happens during orientation week? Is the white coat ceremony during this week? Do we learn about the curriculum, requirements for the ISP, where all the classes are located, volunteer opportunities, research opportunities, etc? Is the week pretty relaxed? I'm getting excited! Thanks for any info you can share!:)

I'm getting excited, too.
Other than the financial aid paperwork, is there anything else we're supposed to be doing? I've accepted UCSD's offer and turned down my other admissions offers, but it seems like there should be more paperwork and stuff (not that I'm complaining if there isn't any).

I'm getting excited, too.
Other than the financial aid paperwork, is there anything else we're supposed to be doing? I've accepted UCSD's offer and turned down my other admissions offers, but it seems like there should be more paperwork and stuff (not that I'm complaining if there isn't any).

I'm feeling the same way (good thing we're not Type A...j/k.) I know there are immunizations, etc. that need to be done. I guess it's just been such a crazy, busy year filled with e-mails and flight plans and interviews and acceptances and rejections and decisions...it just feels strange to be...well...DONE, I guess. I'm just waiting to hear what I need to do before school starts. If anyone hears anything, please post.

It's gonna be a wild ride...:eek::D:confused::):(:oops::smuggrin::hardy:

Hi all!

I just got in off the waitlist. Anyone else looking for housing? I was intending to go 1-bedroom but the prices near campus are so rediculously high. If any of you would be interested in rooming, send me a PM.

Hi all!

I just got in off the waitlist. Anyone else looking for housing? I was intending to go 1-bedroom but the prices near campus are so rediculously high. If any of you would be interested in rooming, send me a PM.

You might want to state your gender for potential roommates.;) And big congrats on the acceptance! Looking forward to meeting you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I'm another of your future classmates - just about 100% UCSD now that May 15th has passed... and second look was really convincing!

Now that I'm starting to think about the details of actually moving down to SD, I thought I'd look for our class thread and so here I am.

Are most of you guys planning/hoping to live on campus, at least for first year? That's what I'm thinking, but a cool neighborhood is appealing as well. :)

Hey everyone! I'm another of your future classmates - just about 100% UCSD now that May 15th has passed... and second look was really convincing!

Now that I'm starting to think about the details of actually moving down to SD, I thought I'd look for our class thread and so here I am.

Are most of you guys planning/hoping to live on campus, at least for first year? That's what I'm thinking, but a cool neighborhood is appealing as well. :)

I've got a family, so I'm living off campus. Most of the university housing is technically off campus, too - but fairly close and a good deal for the area. If my circumstances were different, I'd be trying to get into Coast.

I've got a family, so I'm living off campus. Most of the university housing is technically off campus, too - but fairly close and a good deal for the area. If my circumstances were different, I'd be trying to get into Coast.

Just FYI...they changed the housing policies and won't take "families" at Coast anymore. If you have children, you have to go to Mesa. Coast is fine for couples and singles only. If you have kids, though, you get right to the top of the list at Mesa.

I'd go for on-campus the first year, if my situation were different. No commute, cheap housing, potential to meet new friends/study partners. Just my 2 cents.

hey so i submitted that housing waitlist thing back in november ... do u guys know when we'll hear back .... watd u guys rank as ur choices?

i submitted mine in april and haven't heard anything yet.

What are people with families doing about health insurance? The DSHIPs for dependents is pretty expensive, but most of the commercial plans in my price range kinda suck. I just need something for the first year, though.

about health insurance, it's easy to switch back and forth from GSHIP/DSHIP to outside insurance. so, if you're going to end up on your significant other's policy, realize that you won't have to stay with GSHIP for the entire year. it is re-renewed each quarter, and the spring quarter payment covers the summer as well. it was ~500 bucks per quarter ($1500 per calendar year) this year.

falx

about health insurance, it's easy to switch back and forth from GSHIP/DSHIP to outside insurance. so, if you're going to end up on your significant other's policy, realize that you won't have to stay with GSHIP for the entire year. it is re-renewed each quarter, and the spring quarter payment covers the summer as well. it was ~500 bucks per quarter ($1500 per calendar year) this year.

falx

GSHIP looks like a decent deal. Its just that for DHIP, its 950 for spouse and 450 for kids - 1400/quarter. Seems like a lot - although still less than a private HMO insurance plan. Do you know if DHIP spring quarter covers summer also; ie. $4200/calender year.
How is SHIP/DHIP? Coverage looks decent, but in practice are people happy with it?
Thanks

so r most of you trying to stay with campus housing?

im thinking of trying to find a place on my own ... any other chill guys looking for an apt mate?

hey so i submitted that housing waitlist thing back in november ... do u guys know when we'll hear back .... watd u guys rank as ur choices?

every time i call the housing office they give me a different answer. i've been on the waitlist since nov too, and the most recent answer is: maybe ill get an apt if i put sometime after aug 19 as the move-in date, but i wouldn't know until 30 days in advance. very confusing.

didn't really like SGH when i visited, so i was hoping for one miramar.

giving up my spot! enjoy the sun for me cause ill be freezing my butt off!

SHIP is definitely solid for significant others. As for medical students, my one complaint is that the hours are rather unforgiving (i.e. student health is only open 8-noon, 1-5). I guess I shouldn't have really expected more than that, but it makes it a little more difficult to get in with how busy school is. However, it didn't impede me from getting the care I needed, which admittedly wasn't much. I wouldn't anticipate the hours thing being difficult for a spouse, as most careers are more schedule-friendly than medicine.

SHIP basically operates like an HMO - the student health docs are the gatekeepers. Most of them are clinical professors at UCSD, so they should be pretty solid.

I can't answer for sure, but for GSHIP the summer is covered with the spring payment (so only 3 ~$500 payments per year), so I would imagine that it is the same for dependents and spouses. Could call the insurance coordinator at (858) 534-2124 during working hours to find out for sure.

falx

GSHIP looks like a decent deal. Its just that for DHIP, its 950 for spouse and 450 for kids - 1400/quarter. Seems like a lot - although still less than a private HMO insurance plan. Do you know if DHIP spring quarter covers summer also; ie. $4200/calender year.
How is SHIP/DHIP? Coverage looks decent, but in practice are people happy with it?
Thanks

Have you folks received any paperwork, forms, or even anything at all from UCSD since the May 15 deadline. I thought they would at least send a letter confirming a place in the class or advising on various starting dates etc.

Have you folks received any paperwork, forms, or even anything at all from UCSD since the May 15 deadline. I thought they would at least send a letter confirming a place in the class or advising on various starting dates etc.

Nothing. Although, I'm a bit relieved to hear that others haven't gotten anything either.

Hey guys! I've been really busy, so I haven't posted for a while. Thanks for the feedback on the health insurance. I am definitely interested in additional feedback on DHIP. That's probably the way I'll go. I can get COBRA, which is a killer PPO, but it's over twice the monthly price, and I just don't think I can swing it financially.

Hey Kuhlguy...where are you headed? Your mdapps is gone, so I couldn't check. No matter where it is, I'm sure it's great...and big congrats!!! We'll be thinking of you all bundled up and scraping ice off your car and shoveling the driveway as we're jogging/biking to class in December...haha!!! We've all been really blessed, haven’t we? I'm so happy for everyone who got what they hoped for!!!

I am also relieved to hear that no one's heard anything from UCSD. I called the admissions office a couple of weeks ago...cause I was getting worried...but they said I still had my place in the class and there wasn't anything to be done for now. I will send final transcripts for this spring when grades are posted and then just wait to hear from UCSD.

I decided against the summer program. I'm going to try to review on my own a bit (yeah...that's gonna happen...:rolleyes:) and just relax and have a fun summer.

I just wanted to put this out there...I would love to find some study partners for the fall. I'm gonna hit the tutoring center when I first get there, and hopefully I can meet some people there. I'm not a "needy" study partner. I like to learn on my own first then go over concepts/review before tests, etc., just to reinforce and verbalize what we've learned. I want to do very well (I'm hoping for a specialty for residency) but I'm VERY supportive of classmates. It's been my experience that by helping each other, we ALL do better. If you're looking for something like that, maybe we can meet up at the tutoring center near the beginning of the year.

Well, sorry for the long post. Just getting excited. See you all soon!!!:D

Any incoming 1st years need a place to stay during this summer. Im subletting my place in One Miramar starting now until the end of August. Rent is $590/month +utilities. Thought this could be helpful for those taking the summer program. you can reach me at 415-623-8375

Is it just me or is access to the MedEd portal orientation website not working for the past couple of days?

So anyone in SD want to go catch a movie or do something one of these days? I hear they still got the student discount at the AMC on Thursdays if you flash them your old student ID. Just because not all of us are taking the summer program doesn't mean we can't hang a bit before we all drown under our books right? and significant others welcomed (i mean.. i figured some of us might...)?

There's also the option of going down to PB to drink ... But maybe not on the first date ;)... I ain't THAT easy :D. Though I suppose if we were intoxicated we would have the courage to go to the admissions office and bang on their doors about why they haven't sent us any additional paperwork to give a feeling of security if nothing else.

or... we could all just stay home and...um... study...and surf SDN...

So I gathered from the Student Affairs office today that they are going to send us an e-mail tomorrow about getting access to the Orientation Page. I was also promised that it will have everything we need to know about what we need to do.

Now let's see if we see some delivery.

Hey everybody! Well, I'M HERE!!!! Moved into Mesa in June and finally got my living area in shape (bedrooms still have a lot of boxes.) Looks like we've all been pretty busy the past month or so. Sorry I haven't posted, either.

I would love to go catch a movie if you guys are up for it! I don't have any friends down here...I have relatives, but no one to really hang out with. I would definitely like to do something other than sit around my apartment all summer thinking about the tsunami of information I'm about to tackle!

I'm a little reluctant to put my number on a public forum, though! How can we arrange something? Epipen, if you're still interested, let's see if we get some interest, and maybe we can meet up somewhere one night with some others and exchange phone numbers then, eh?

I'll wait to see if anyone posts.

Yeah I'm still up for a movie or something. Can't believe we missed the chance to get everyone to go watch the Dark Knight though (I ended up seeing the midnight showing with my roomates). I haven't seen a lot of people post in a while so I'm guessing everyone's pretty busy. But yeah, if there's enough interest, we should still hang a bit before september rolls around

I haven't seen Dark Knight, yet, either. Bummer. Where IS everybody? I guess this is kind of a low anxiety period, so everyone has bugged out for a while. Hopefully some people post, then we'll PM and set a day, eh?

BTW, I went on a harbor cruise last night, and it was amazing. Gotta love San Diego. Like the freakin' Garden of Eden, if you ask me!:D

Looking forward to meeting those of you that I haven't run into yet :)

Anyone know when we get our UCSD email address?

EDIT: Ah, funny, just got an email that says:

In a few days, you will be receiving an email describing the computer accounts that you will soon be issued. You will then receive your UCSD-generated SingleSign-On username and password that will give you access to all of these resources.

Ugh, they're probably going to give me some ugly truncated version of my last name... oh well.

Last edited:
Looking forward to meeting those of you that I haven't run into yet :)

Anyone know when we get our UCSD email address?

Ugh, they're probably going to give me some ugly truncated version of my last name... oh well.
I called and was told we're getting our email address the first day of orientation. I'm very antsy about this for some reason.

And it turns out they DID give me an ugly truncated version of my last name. Sigh.

Can't wait to start! Moving down to SD next week :)