~*UCSD Class Of 2012*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi again--I'll be working Fri afternoon, so my plan is to meet y'all at the beach. I can probably give folks who need it a lift from there to Jack's. See everyone soon!

Attending Second Look

silverlining1 - flying in around 1:30pm
EpiPEN - Showing up on campus after work (5 ish?)
AMPed - After 5ish
Monkey House - driving in around noon-ish.
Corker - arriving around 4:00pm on Fri....will meet at beach
dasudaman - I work at the SOM so I'll be there when I get off work.
Phoenixrising24 - Meeting up at the beach

Members don't see this ad.

Yay! Brian sent out carpool information... so now I have a ride from the airport!

Really looking forward to meeting you all :cool: Please PM me if you'd like to exchange real names and the like. I don't want to walk around asking "Are you Monkey House?"...

Yay! Brian sent out carpool information... so now I have a ride from the airport!

Really looking forward to meeting you all :cool: Please PM me if you'd like to exchange real names and the like. I don't want to walk around asking "Are you Monkey House?"...

why not? that sounds like an awsome conversation starter :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you know for everyone one of us posting, there are at least 5 watching and reading ... so I am sure lots of people could join in the epic game of match the fool on SDN to the actual kid on the beach!

Just checked the weather, looks to be a pretty good day tomorrow! Sunny, a little wind, not too hot.

Just checked the weather, looks to be a pretty good day tomorrow! Sunny, a little wind, not too hot.
Yup, but it plummets on Saturday to 60 or so =/

I am hoping to have a lot of fun - I need to convince myself that UCSD is an awesome place to spend the next 4 years!

See you all in a little bit!

Attending Second Look

silverlining1 - flying in around 1:30pm
EpiPEN - Showing up on campus after work (5 ish?)
AMPed - After 5ish
Monkey House - driving in around noon-ish.
Corker - arriving around 4:00pm on Fri....will meet at beach
dasudaman - I work at the SOM so I'll be there when I get off work.
Phoenixrising24 - Meeting up at the beach
voltage gated - Meeting up at UCSD at 5p

aw...now I have to watch what I post cuz people will know who I really am...:scared:

not :)

aw...now I have to watch what I post cuz people will know who I really am...:scared:

not :)
Haha! I can proudly say I've met EpiPEN and others.

Corker, voltage, dasudaman, AMPed, haven't met you yet... or maybe I have and didn't know it.

Hope you're all having fun :) I'm heading to Jack's in about half an hour.

it was great meeting all of you guys, even though i probably forgot most of your names by now.

i met silverlining though!

Hi everyone,

I don't know how many of you I was able to meet, other than silverlining, this weekend but hopefully that will change as we get closer to Aug.

Join the facebook group that someone else started: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27556605590

That way I can connect faces to names since I'm getting old and my memory isn't as sharp anymore and probably only remember a handful of names of the people I met. :eek:

now is when I start the betting pool for how many people said they would come here during 2nd look actually do come. :eek:

btw, the dean of undergrad medical education was the best presentation of that day by far imo.

hey .. i wasnt able to go to second look ....

can u guys fill me in on how it was? did it impress u? did it convince you that it was an amazing place? .. haha srry ... just trying to get a better feel for ucsd ... and im trying to waste time instead of studying for my 2 neuro midterms that are this week :( haha ... stupid senioritis

Members don't see this ad :)
hey .. i wasnt able to go to second look ....

can u guys fill me in on how it was? did it impress u? did it convince you that it was an amazing place? .. haha srry ... just trying to get a better feel for ucsd ... and im trying to waste time instead of studying for my 2 neuro midterms that are this week :( haha ... stupid senioritis

yeah, same here. can people post any thoughts from the 2nd look? i'm mostly interested in knowing if that gunner environment really is a thing of the past.

yeah, same here. can people post any thoughts from the 2nd look? i'm mostly interested in knowing if that gunner environment really is a thing of the past.

That's the impression I got. That is to say, the students on the student panel seemed pretty non-gunnerish. A guy did say that there's a gunner group of some 12 people in his class that meets a lot to study.

Overall, they gave some presentations on the school's background and that the school is on the verge of education reform which will affect us maybe in our 3rd year. I liked the two lecture I went to (one of them we played doctor trying to figure out patient diagnosis and the other we listened to aortic stenosis on a live patient via ste.scope) However, I'm from UCSD so my opinion won't be as valuable as someone from another school if you were looking to see what kind of impression 2nd look left for the people that went.

I've been set on UCSD for a good while now, but 2nd look really made me feel good about that decision. I got a really good vibe from the students (who spent a significant amount of their weekend with us, and several spent many hours prior to that in the planning). If anything, they seemed especially balanced and grounded, IMO. However, my undergrad had its own special breed of capital-G Gunners, so perhaps my standards are a little off...

In any case, I don't think those of you who couldn't come missed out on anything really substantive (except maybe a chance to win a t-shirt in a raffle); mostly, it was just about getting a feel for the place. I've known that they were looking at curriculum change for some time now--honestly, the more I learn about it, the happier I am it won't affect our pre-clinical years. It's kind of like overhauling an operating system for a computer: sure, the last one may have needed some extra features, but it was rock-solid stable and got the job done. Nobody wants to upgrade until all the kinks are worked out of the new system, and that can take a good long while. Just think of all the folks begging to keep Windows XP around (and if that's not you, fine...just work with me. It's an imperfect simile--move on).

Though I must say, the cadaver was awesome. It is weird that seeing human-sized cranial nerves makes my day? [Really. Don't answer that.]

Much like those who said this before me, I also got an extremely good feeling about the people who were there during second look.
Additionally, all the first and second year students that I met seemed to have really good attitudes towards the school and their other classmates.
As for the question of whether gunners exist, well of course they do but I do not think that they are a significant portion of the student body.
That being said I think UCSD is going to be a great place to spend the next 4 years (at least!).

Concerning the reputation and (negative?) conceptions about UCSD:

There are faculty members who only stay in the lab, but I felt comfortable talking with the prof's during my rounds and got the sense that they really cared about medical education. During the student panel, it was said that while the schedule looks like a giant block, it's not entirely lecture but includes small group work.

Most importantly was that without AOA and only an honor/pass/fail (as opposed to more broken down systems), students do not feel like they need to constantly be killing themselves in order to be competitive for residency and beyond.

I met current students who seemed very down to earth and had a variety of interests (community medicine to surgery) who got along. The faculty seems top notch in terms of addressing student needs and concerns.

I'll be there this fall :thumbup:

Most importantly was that without AOA and only an honor/pass/fail (as opposed to more broken down systems), students do not feel like they need to constantly be killing themselves in order to be competitive for residency and beyond.

hm, it's great that there's no AOA, and it seems like it's your 3rd and 4th yr grades that really matter, but what about this gold humanism society award? i saw some post saying that it might be treated like an AOA for SD.

hm, it's great that there's no AOA, and it seems like it's your 3rd and 4th yr grades that really matter, but what about this gold humanism society award? i saw some post saying that it might be treated like an AOA for SD.

I got it. My impression on the interview trail was that a few programs were impressed and one chairman explicitly said he considered it AOA-equivalent. However, it was mostly not commented on.

I wouldn't worry about not having it. The ERAS residency application has a space for AOA (yes/no/not available at my school). It doesn't have one for Gold Humanism, so if you don't get it, the program probably won't be aware that UCSD has a chapter.

Certainly not something that should influence your decision.

That's the impression I got. That is to say, the students on the student panel seemed pretty non-gunnerish. A guy did say that there's a gunner group of some 12 people in his class that meets a lot to study.

By my understanding of the term, a gunner works solo. Certainly not in a collaborative group.

I know some med students resent people who work extra-hard, but I respect it. I wouldn't say I'm one of them.

All I have to say about the so-called "gunner environment" (which is 'entirely myth since Dean Kelly took control of admissions' - from a current student) is that it is no more than any other medical school. I was extremely happy to meet all of the new faces and never did I get the anti-social, "I want to do better than you", vibe. In fact, I asked every current medical student what the biggest incentives were for coming to UCSD and EVERY student said the student body as the #1 or #2 reason. I personally know many of the 1st years and I have asked them numerous times about this myth. I strongly think the word has not gotten out about the current status of the student body and how much things have changed.

It was great to meet everyone at second look, although I didn't ask about SDN names while I was there, so I don't know if I met you guys specifically.

I was already decided on UCSD, but I really enjoyed the weekend, and it cemented my decision. Dr. Kelly made the same great impression she had made on the interview day, Dr. Mandel was funny and impressive, and I REALLY enjoyed the two teaching rounds I attended. The students seemed very happy, and each person with whom I spoke said they had time for recreation outside of school. I was also VERY impressed with the tutoring availabilities for the students. It really seems like they care about our learning and success.

I am getting a little nervous about embarking on this big life change, but I felt this weekend that I will be able to make some new friends and have a great life in SD!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you better!:)

when I read the comment about the "gunner group" I almost fell out of my chair :laugh:

There is a group of 10 or so people who meets once a week to present board-relevant topics to each other, teach and discuss. I attended it twice but didn't find it that useful for me so I stopped going. We preemptively called ourselves the "gunner group" as a joke because if we didnt everyone would have called us that anyway
:)

the point being, collaboration and teaching the way that it is done is just about the antithesis of being a gunner.

As lord_jeebus said or implied, the word gunner is not always used appropriately. Some people simply resent those who work hard, whether the relevant endpoint is doing well on boards or knowing the material well.

the point being, collaboration and teaching the way that it is done is just about the antithesis of being a gunner.

As lord_jeebus said or implied, the word gunner is not always used appropriately. Some people simply resent those who work hard, whether the relevant endpoint is doing well on boards or knowing the material well.

ionno man, word on the street is that lord_jeebus and SeventhSon are two serious gunners ;)

:D:laugh:

Hi! Thanks for posting information about 2nd look week because I didn't have the chance to go. I just wanted to ask about the lecture time. From the schedule (and rumors), it seems that UCSD has so much class time compared to other schools. If any current or perspective students could let me know whether that makes it a lot more intense and time consuming, please let me know. I am currently deciding between UCI and UCSD, and UCI's more relaxed schedule seems so much more appealing than UCSD's schedule.

Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for posting information about 2nd look week because I didn't have the chance to go. I just wanted to ask about the lecture time. From the schedule (and rumors), it seems that UCSD has so much class time compared to other schools. If any current or perspective students could let me know whether that makes it a lot more intense and time consuming, please let me know. I am currently deciding between UCI and UCSD, and UCI's more relaxed schedule seems so much more appealing than UCSD's schedule.

Thanks!
Everyone I've talked to has said that they end up finding the balance of how much lecture they prefer to go to (all, none, some). Apparently the syllabus for each class is really thorough and the notetakers are really good - plus there are podcasts. Having the option to skip lecture yet still get the material allows for more flexibility, is what I hear.

That was also my concern that it would become the de facto AOA but the students themselves said it was a "hippie award" given to someone who other students would want to treat their parents. Not really the same idea as AOA?

I'm not sure what the effect will be if you want to do plastics or something where most of the residents are AOA. :confused:

I was just thinking about how UCSD hasn't sold its naming rights to the school of medicine yet. In order to give the class of 2012 free tuition, we should lobby one of the biotechs/techs in san diego to endow 150 scholarships in exchange for naming rights (my calculations say ~$45 million would do it) ;)

How do you guys like:

Qualcomm School of Medicine
Gen-Probe SOM
Biogen Idec SOM

:smuggrin:

I was just thinking about how UCSD hasn't sold its naming rights to the school of medicine yet. In order to give the class of 2012 free tuition, we should lobby one of the biotechs/techs in san diego to endow 150 scholarships in exchange for naming rights (my calculations say ~$45 million would do it) ;)

How do you guys like:

Qualcomm School of Medicine
Gen-Probe SOM
Biogen Idec SOM

:smuggrin:

unfortunatly if all they did was provide us with scholarsships with the money, all they get to name is our class :D

unfortunatly if all they did was provide us with scholarsships with the money, all they get to name is our class :D

I'd be fine with that:
"Now presenting the Petco Graduating Class of 2012!"

I'd even let them name my practice.

I'd be fine with that:

From that name you'd think we were either puppies or vets :laugh:

I'd be fine with that:

That sounds fine to me. What about selling advertising space on my white coat? nascar style

That sounds fine to me. What about selling advertising space on my white coat? nascar style

Best Idea Ever Period

we can even make patient visits kind of like pit stops, see who gets in and out the fastest :laugh:

That was also my concern that it would become the de facto AOA but the students themselves said it was a "hippie award" given to someone who other students would want to treat their parents. Not really the same idea as AOA?

I'm not sure what the effect will be if you want to do plastics or something where most of the residents are AOA. :confused:

"Hippie Award" is a good description. I think the majority of people who get it would not be AOA if it existed.

Stanford and Harvard don't have AOA either and it seems to work out for them. I don't know anyone who applied to Plastics so I can't say anything with authority though.

Solano Beach is only a few miles north of La Jolla ... So how many of you are still wondering if it would be cool to learn to surf at UCSD with our new great white shark friend =D

NOTE: Sharks only kill 4 people in the world per year on average...its just fun to watch the media blow this story out the water.

Solano Beach is only a few miles north of La Jolla ... So how many of you are still wondering if it would be cool to learn to surf at UCSD with our new great white shark friend =D

NOTE: Sharks only kill 4 people in the world per year on average...its just fun to watch the media blow this story out the water.

I went to the beach today in Encinitas (just north of Solana Beach) and there were these great signs advising people of the attack and to stay out of the water. Of course, the water was full of people surfing and swimming on a 90+ degree day. :laugh:
Last SD shark attack was in 1994. So, we'll probably have The Big One before the next shark attack:D

The "big one" is said to be more for LA than San Diego right?

sharks, earthquakes, and the once every 4 year fire....

I'm beginning to think I should have gone east coast ;)

sharks, earthquakes, and the once every 4 year fire....

I'm beginning to think I should have gone east coast ;)
Psh, I'll take the risk of a rare shark attack/earthquake/fire over the certainty of snow!

Anyone going to do the summer program thing?

Anyone going to do the summer program thing?

I really want to, but I need to work and I don't think I can make the schedule work. I haven't ruled it out yet, but its not looking good.
BTW: I'm officially committed to UCSD - I just turned down the last other school I was considering. See you guys in a few months.:D

BTW: I'm officially committed to UCSD - I just turned down the last other school I was considering. See you guys in a few months.:D

I'm with you, AMPed! I just withdrew from six of the nine where I was accepted. I still have the last two left, and it's SO HARD to finally say "goodbye" to them...it's just like breaking up with someone you know isn't right for you, but you really like a lot...and I've never been good at that either! I know UCSD is "the one," though. The financial aid package sealed the deal...the last remaining .01% for me!!!

As far as the summer program, I would love to meet some study partners and get a jump on the curriculum, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much of my summer in the classroom...especially since they have tests. I'm still considering it...are you going to do it Epipen? Anyone else?

I'm with you, AMPed! I just withdrew from six of the nine where I was accepted. I still have the last two left, and it's SO HARD to finally say "goodbye" to them...it's just like breaking up with someone you know isn't right for you, but you really like a lot...and I've never been good at that either! I know UCSD is "the one," though. The financial aid package sealed the deal...the last remaining .01% for me!!!

As far as the summer program, I would love to meet some study partners and get a jump on the curriculum, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much of my summer in the classroom...especially since they have tests. I'm still considering it...are you going to do it Epipen? Anyone else?

Well at least someone got a good financial aid package. I'll be on the my parents make more than the quota and thus I must bare the full burden of medical school boat.

I'm 80% not going to do the summer program and 20% wanting to. Problem is you have to take the FULL course. (i.e. you can't jump in half way) I was planning on taking a trip outside the country and that would cut into the summer session time. I think I might try to just drop-in on some of the lectures just to see what they are about if I end up not actually taking it (which will most likely be the case).

Hey everyone.....im matriculating to UCSD SOM next fall! Just thought I would say hello. GO UCSD SOM C/O 2012!!!

Hi soon to be fellow classmates. The decision feels more right every day.