UCSD Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamkaung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody working on UCSD supplemental essays?
I know the first question's word limit is 500 words.
What are the word limits for the other 4 questions???
so just use the space provided?
we can write more right?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no word limit on the other questions, but I called admissions and they said to keep it short--like a decent-sized paragraph.

There is no word limit on the other questions, but I called admissions and they said to keep it short--like a decent-sized paragraph.
thanks for your help.. have u submitted your applicatin and mailed ur check?
I think it is still tooo early for me to submit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I didn't know we could go beyond the boxes. I guess my supp. answers will be pretty short in comparison to most, then.

I thought thats how it was as well. Owell, hopefully it won't be held to much against us

I have interviewed students for a few years now and as far as those supplemental essays go, please be concise.

My pet peeve is an essay that turns into a constant rambling. I know that length matters for academic papers, but as far as interviews go, shorter is better. Interviewers only have 5 - 10 minutes to go through each candidate so the shorter the essay, the faster we can get a clear picture of you.

... this is a message for next year's applicants.... forgot it was already December.

Last edited:
I have interviewed students for a few years now and as far as those supplemental essays go, please be concise.

My pet peeve is an essay that turns into a constant rambling. I know that length matters for academic papers, but as far as interviews go, shorter is better. Interviewers only have 5 - 10 minutes to go through each candidate so the shorter the essay, the faster we can get a clear picture of you.

... this is a message for next year's applicants.... forgot it was already December.

what?!!??

i wrote a lot because I thought that meant I cared for once about attending here!

more time spent ==== more care

urghh

Anyone know how the grading system works for UCSD? I know they have Pass/Fail system but what is their cutoff to pass? Also, it is pure Pass/Fail or do they have distinction?

Also, taking classes together with med school students... is it tough? Med school students and pharmacy school students will be on the same curve?

I was just curious about UCSD grading system...

Anyone know how the grading system works for UCSD? I know they have Pass/Fail system but what is their cutoff to pass? Also, it is pure Pass/Fail or do they have distinction?

Also, taking classes together with med school students... is it tough? Med school students and pharmacy school students will be on the same curve?

Correct me if I am wrong UCSD students, but the grading system at UCSD is set up as Honors/Pass/Fail. Honors is given to those who achieve 90% or higher in a class. Pass requirements would depend on each class at hand, but I am assuming it is probably around a 75% or so to pass.

I cannot comment on taking classes together with med school students because the system is different here at UCSF. But I have heard rumors/stories that professors cater more to the med students. Any curriculum at any pharmacy school will be tough and I don't think you can necessarily say that having classes with med school students will make it tougher than any other class at other pharm schools. But, I'll leave it to any UCSD students to comment on that.

what?!!??

i wrote a lot because I thought that meant I cared for once about attending here!

urghh

Longer doesn't necessarily translate to better. You can write a nice concise paragraph, and still have agonized over it for months.

I wonder when we will be getting our interview invitations??! :xf:

what?!!??

urghh

It's possible that you have a lot of thoughts to share, however, in my experience either five paragraphs can be condensed into one or too many ideas are presented when the essay asked for one. I agree that more time spent does imply more care, but that time can also be spent by making a clear point in the most concise fashion. Either way, do not be discouraged, you can make up ground during interviews.

The courses are indeed H/P/F. For the pharmacy only classes, H over 90% and P is usually over 70%. Pharmacy classes are not curved.

For med school, the classes are curved and everyone is on the same curve. P is usually around 68% (getting over 70% is guaranteed passing) and rumor has it that top 10% of the class get the mythical "H". In regards to difficulty, med school classes are not necessarily difficult, it just forces people to be more efficient with time. It is possible to work during the med school year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got it today. My interview will be on Jan 15. Good luck to everyone!

did it come through snail mail or email? when is the latest to reply back for an interview? i am out of the country till new years so i cant reply back. also, are there more than one interview dates?

did it come through snail mail or email? when is the latest to reply back for an interview? i am out of the country till new years so i cant reply back. also, are there more than one interview dates?

I got it through snail mail, postmarked 12/17. I have until Jan 6th to mail it in.

They only gave one interview date and said we could reschedule only with proof of an exam or family/medical reason.

Last edited:
i got one via snail mail also, its on jan 30th. I dont really know much about it, my mom got the letter. All I know is its in the morning

edit:UCSD's site has 4 interview dates listed until 2/1, for those of you who are curious

Last edited:
i got one via snail mail also, its on jan 30th. I dont really know much about it, my mom got the letter. All I know is its in the morning

edit:UCSD's site has 4 interview dates listed until 2/1, for those of you who are curious

do you have the link? i couldn't find it.

do you have the link? i couldn't find it.

Same.

I can't check my mailbox till I get back after new year as well. So much for a cool Christmas present =P haha

sweet, no interview from UCSD either. this is going to be a depressing holiday :(

Yay! Got an interview for Jan 15th at 12. Anyone else?

sorry i was working today...my mail was sent to norco,ca

i got my interview invitation today too! it's on feb.1
the letter was dated 12/15 but was postmarked 12/17

Has anyone from NorCal or out of state heard anything?

Just got back from vacation.... I have my interview for Jan. 30th @ 12! I am actually super surprised because previous years stats say that 100% of people interviewed held or are expecting a bachelors degree before matriculation and I will have neither.

I think they are expecting a larger class size this year. On the welcome page it says they wish to reach 240 PharmD students... I don't know if they mean per year or overall?

I think they are expecting a larger class size this year. On the welcome page it says they wish to reach 240 PharmD students... I don't know if they mean per year or overall?

60 students x 4 classes = 240, class size cannot expand much past 60, the classrooms cannot accomodate the size... the only auditorium in the building can hold around 200 and that's for the joint MS1/P2 classes

To those who had questions about this:

there'll be 5 interviews: Jan 15, 16, 30, 31 and Feb 1.

I will be one of your interviewers, if you have any question regarding UCSD drop me an email at [email protected]

Hope to see at UCSD

Stopped by there yesterday. The campus is pretty big. The pharm building is nice, and it still looks pretty new.

On a side note, There's a graffiti hallway and stairwell in the art building. Its pretty awesome!

Interview invite came for 1/30 noon.. anyone else out there on the same date? I am coming from east coast... anyone else? I think most people are going to be from California...

I will be one of your interviewers, if you have any question regarding UCSD drop me an email at [email protected]

Hope to see at UCSD

Hi future,

Has UCSD finished reviewing and selecting applicants for interviews at this point?

Interview invite came for 1/30 noon.. anyone else out there on the same date? I am coming from east coast... anyone else? I think most people are going to be from California...

congrats! Mine is that date, not sure what time yet though. And ya, I'm coming from socal

Hope to see at UCSD

Hello Future,

Has the review process of applicant files been completed and are all the interview invitations out? Or, are there still interview spots available? Thanks

Last edited:
i'm an out of state (PA) resident and I just received my invitation to interview. pretty excited! jan 16th

hey guys and gals, for those who are living in LA and plan to drive down to SD.. are you guys planning to stay at a hotel the night before or just drive down for the interview the same day? i cant decide....

hey guys and gals, for those who are living in LA and plan to drive down to SD.. are you guys planning to stay at a hotel the night before or just drive down for the interview the same day? i cant decide....

I live about 2.5 hours away and I was planning on driving there since the check in time is 12...what are u going to do?

I was from San Diego and I just recently moved to LA. I go back a lot to SD to visit friends and I usually don't stay overnight. It's like 1 and half hour driving with no traffic, so like 2-3 hrs with traffic. For me I would save the money and just come back, it's not that big deal

has anyone gotten rejections yet? or does anyone know when ucsd will mail out official rejection letters?

I already received a rejection from ucsf so now I am hoping on ucsd although after the sf rejection I feel somewhat down and hopeless for sd.

Will the school notify you if you did not get an interview invitation? Will they send you and interview invite rejection letter? I don't think I am even getting an interview... Haven't gotten anything in the mail. Sad, sad Christmas for me

Will the school notify you if you did not get an interview invitation? Will they send you and interview invite rejection letter? I don't think I am even getting an interview... Haven't gotten anything in the mail. Sad, sad Christmas for me