UCSD Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not receive an invitation until today since I called and asked them yesterday. Mine is on 01/15! I have already paid the deposit for USC. I do not know if I should go for the interview. Which one is better, SD or USC? Any comment? Thanks.

I am in the same situation! I already paid my Touro and USC deposits...but I am still going to the interview on the 15th because SD is also a really good school. If they end up rejecting me, it makes me decision to go to USC easier :) I think you should go to the interview and see how you like the school compared to USC. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation! I already paid my Touro and USC deposits...but I am still going to the interview on the 15th because SD is also a really good school. If they end up rejecting me, it makes me decision to go to USC easier :) I think you should go to the interview and see how you like the school compared to USC. Good luck!!!

UCSD is at least $10,000 cheaper than USC per year so invest some $ coming down SD area for a possible better deal.

Rejected, 2nd year in a row. I'm puzzled.

UCSF makes a very earnest effort to communicate what they're looking for in a candidate, but I literally have no clue what UCSD is looking for.

Any ideas?

3.81 Cum GPA
3.94 Science GPA
4.0 Pre-req GPA
5 years experience in retail pharmacy and still current
3.5 years experience at Kaiser pharmacy and still current
3 years CPhT
officer of pre-pharm club
2 years research experience (honors research project) including getting my own research grant

I got an interview at UCSD but got denied at UCSF...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
3.81 Cum GPA
3.94 Science GPA
4.0 Pre-req GPA
3 years CPhT
2 years research experience (honors research project) including getting my own research grant

Wow. I suppose a lot of weight is put on the letter of recommendations and/or personal statements at UCSF? Too much speculation :confused: Congrats on the UCSD interview though!

Last edited:
I havent received anything from UCSD, no interview and no rejection, so I called them yesterday and they told me that they havent made a decision on my application. Is anyone else in this situation?

I havent received anything from UCSD, no interview and no rejection, so I called them yesterday and they told me that they havent made a decision on my application. Is anyone else in this situation?

Hey! I think it is better than rejection because you have a decent shot. There will be some people who will decline their interviews.. so when it opens up, you have a great chance I think!

That's really weird; I thought they made all the decisions by Christmas/the beginning of January, but it is better than getting rejected, so that's a good thing.

The first interview date was today.. did anyone get back from it yet?

i had my interview two days ago...it was really relaxed. orientation, essay, interview, q&a with current students. i'm sooo nervous though!! we won't find out until march/april. :shrug:

That's really weird; I thought they made all the decisions by Christmas/the beginning of January, but it is better than getting rejected, so that's a good thing.

The first interview date was today.. did anyone get back from it yet?

just an update. ucsd sent me an invite for an interview via email. unfortunately, i have another interview on the date they assigned me so i will have to call them tomorrow to see if they are willing to change it.

3.81 Cum GPA
3.94 Science GPA
4.0 Pre-req GPA
3 years CPhT

I have 3.8 GPA but it's only for the 35 units of prereq courses I've taken in the US (I got my BA in Biology in Taiwan in 2003). I had a few C and failed courses in Taiwan, but I have retaken all of them in the US with As. (My Taiwan GPA was about 3.3) I worked for 1 year as a bench researcher after graduating. Traveled around the world twice for about 1.5 years in total. Got married and immigrated to the USA. Spent 2 years volunteering at 2 VA facilities, county hospitals, community pharmacies and a homeless shelter in skid row. Finished volunteering, now have been working for a couple of months as a CPhT at various hospitals (I have both state and PTCB certs). GREAT letters of rec by pharmacists & science faculty.

The results...........? (drumroll)

I got a UCSF interview but not UCSD.

Even though every school requests that I send them an (expensive) copy of my grades translated to American GPA, I have a feeling that several schools (like UCSD, USC) do not like the low number of US credits I have taken, and/or the low grades I got in Taiwan. Since this is the second UCSF interview invitation I've gotten, it seems that UCSF is more open to the idea of accepting people like me who have taken non-traditional pathways to their American pharmacy career.

I really like that about them and it makes me want to attend UCSF even more.

i had my interview two days ago...it was really relaxed. orientation, essay, interview, q&a with current students. i'm sooo nervous though!! we won't find out until march/april. :shrug:

Did the admissions people say specifically that you won't find out until March/April?

Was there financial aid talk session there?

I have 3.8 GPA but it's only for the 35 units of prereq courses I've taken in the US (I got my BA in Biology in Taiwan in 2003). I had a few C and failed courses in Taiwan, but I have retaken all of them in the US with As. (My Taiwan GPA was about 3.3) I worked for 1 year as a bench researcher after graduating. Traveled around the world twice for about 1.5 years in total. Got married and immigrated to the USA. Spent 2 years volunteering at 2 VA facilities, county hospitals, community pharmacies and a homeless shelter in skid row. Finished volunteering, now have been working for a couple of months as a CPhT at various hospitals (I have both state and PTCB certs). GREAT letters of rec by pharmacists & science faculty.

The results...........? (drumroll)

I got a UCSF interview but not UCSD.

Even though every school requests that I send them an (expensive) copy of my grades translated to American GPA, I have a feeling that several schools (like UCSD, USC) do not like the low number of US credits I have taken, and/or the low grades I got in Taiwan. Since this is the second UCSF interview invitation I've gotten, it seems that UCSF is more open to the idea of accepting people like me who have taken non-traditional pathways to their American pharmacy career.

I really like that about them and it makes me want to attend UCSF even more.

I think that the chances for getting interviews at UCSF and UCSD is luck of the draw. I have heard applicants with high GPAs and a ton of experience not get interviews, and applicants with low GPAs but so-so experience and strong essays get interviews. I in no way want to discredit your experience, grades and hard work, but it really is luck of the draw if your application gets the attention it deserves (and thus an interview.) This is why all the schools say many qualified applicants will not be offered interviews.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interview today?
What did you guys think?

Anyone interview today?
What did you guys think?

This was mentioned in the feedback section, but they didn't provide us with any packages that contains information about the school. Also, I don't even know who interviewed me... the interviewer who was supposedly a professor is not even listed on their faculty list on their website. During the checkout, I asked the lady to get the names of my interviewers and she gave me wrong names... :confused: Also, people were talking during the writing session which as very distracting... Overall, it was not the best interview experience.

I agree, it would have been nice to take information home. I think dedicated time for a tour would have been nice also. I didn't like how the writing portion was set up. You basically had over 2 hours and 2 pieces of paper, and maybe a break depending on your interview time. In my opinion(I'm sure they have reasons for doing it how they did), a set essay time helps to define the length and depth they are looking for. I know its just to see how you write, but in that setting its definitely easy to over- or under- shoot their expectations. Its not really a bad thing though.

I overheard them saying that someone didn't show up, maybe thats why you got who you did? Thats to bad though, that you had a bad experience.
Morning or nooner?

I just had my interview yesterday and I'm super nervous and anxious to hear back. gahh! :scared: Good luck everyone!

I just had my interview yesterday and I'm super nervous and anxious to hear back. gahh! :scared: Good luck everyone!

You have to be ready for the long run on this one. So relax and keep yourself busy with something else. Mid march is still far away. Good luck.

I just got my UCSD acceptance letter today!!! So happy! Wasn't expecting to hear from them so soon, but I'm glad the wait is over! Good luck to everyone! :love:

I just got my UCSD acceptance letter today!!! So happy! Wasn't expecting to hear from them so soon, but I'm glad the wait is over! Good luck to everyone! :love:
Congrats! What day was your interview?

Wow! Congratz!!!!!! Are you from southern CA? That was pretty fast wasn't it? I thought you had to wait until March/April!!! Are you going to UCSD now? Or are you thinking about other schools as well?

anybody else find it strange that only 1 person on sdn received an acceptance so far..? especially when they said they would be sending acceptances in march and april?

I interviewed 1/30, they told us 2 weeks at the earliest, depending on which "stack" you were in. I'm pretty sure they told us that our final decisions needed to be made by early april, so I'd think they'd send it before that. Its supposed to be the same for UCSF, so they can narrow down their attending pool more quickly. But I could have misunderstood....

I had a dream last night that I was accepted to UCSD (my 5 year goal is to finish pharm school and move to cali so if that could happen in the fall i'd be estatic)....then I woke up and remembered I didn't even apply. :laugh::laugh:

I had a dream last night that I was accepted to UCSD (my 5 year goal is to finish pharm school and move to cali so if that could happen in the fall i'd be estatic)....then I woke up and remembered I didn't even apply. :laugh::laugh:
:rofl:

I interviewed 1/30, they told us 2 weeks at the earliest, depending on which "stack" you were in. I'm pretty sure they told us that our final decisions needed to be made by early april, so I'd think they'd send it before that. Its supposed to be the same for UCSF, so they can narrow down their attending pool more quickly. But I could have misunderstood....

Interesting... so 60 spots are filled up already?

Hi crash love,

how many days do you have until you hold your acceptance spot??

Interesting... so 60 spots are filled up already?
i doubt it, they are probably still in the process of selecting.
From what it sounded like, 2 weeks would be the first review of interviewees, and then another date would review another set of interviewees, etc. And the time when you are reviewed has nothing to do with how good your app is, from what they said.

this is purely speculation and could be completely wrong, however. That is just how it sounded on the interview presentation.

got my acceptance too!!!! amazed....can't believe it came so soon. difficult decision ahead.
they gave until April 9th to give an answer. VERY generous! and no deposit required either...

got my acceptance too!!!! amazed....can't believe it came so soon. difficult decision ahead.
they gave until April 9th to give an answer. VERY generous! and no deposit required either...
are u in socal?

i am in Arizona. So i am waiting for my response from U of Arizona before I make a decision. CA is so expensive....but i LOOOOVEEDD sd!!! anyone from the area want to recommend some housing to check out around the campus so i can start making a decision?? it will be my boyfriend and i so a one or 2 bed...nothing too amazing just a place to live!!

April 9th is the last day to respond. I'm from NorCal.

Hello!

I am now officially accepted to UCSD!!!! Wow! I am an out-of-state applicant and I didn't expect this!!!!!!

When do we get our financial aid information!!!??? They have limited grant/scholarship funding I think...

Oh My Gosh! Congratulations to all the people who got in :biglove:!!! I still have not heard back yet and my interview was on the 15th... It's kind of strange though how some people only had to wait anxiously for 2 weeks and others have been waiting for over a month. However, I would rather wait a little while than get rejected.

Hello!

I am now officially accepted to UCSD!!!! Wow! I am an out-of-state applicant and I didn't expect this!!!!!!

When do we get our financial aid information!!!??? They have limited grant/scholarship funding I think...

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

so ... i also interviewed on jan 30th. but .. i havent gotten a letter yet .. does this mean i should look forward to a rejection? i feel like its a slim chance to an acceptance now .. saddening.

That's interesting that you feel that way. I too had a very non-traditional path - I was originally going to graduate school for ecology research, realized that was not for me, tried out some different careers and eventually started my own business. I enjoyed a successful business for two years, decided that I wanted to pursue a career in pharmacy and got involved working full time at a pharmacy, volunteering, etc. I had a lower GPA (3.25) but wrote excellent essays and had great LORs. I was expecting an interview at UCSF for the same reasons as you, but was rejected mid-December. I think that the chances for getting interviews at UCSF and UCSD is luck of the draw. I have heard applicants with high GPAs and a ton of experience not get interviews, and applicants with low GPAs but so-so experience and strong essays get interviews. I in no way want to discredit your experience, grades and hard work, but it really is luck of the draw if your application gets the attention it deserves (and this an interview.) This is why all the schools say many qualified applicants will not be offered interviews. I feel that USC, UOP, Western, etc give applications a more thorough look through.

I think UCSF really looks at people's experiences and 'personality per se' based off of the essays. I got rejected from UCSD but got an interview with UCSF. I still haven't heard back from most of the other CA schools I applied to so that leaves me to presume that GPA is the determinant factor for those other schools.

so ... i also interviewed on jan 30th. but .. i havent gotten a letter yet .. does this mean i should look forward to a rejection? i feel like its a slim chance to an acceptance now .. saddening.

Hey,

they have only sent out acceptance letters to very very ew people... I was also interviewed 1/30 afternoon session and spoke to some people who were there that day. The majority of people did not receive anything yet.

okay. I just got accepted to U of Arizona.
so now i really gotta make a decision because they only gave me till march 9
i need help!!!! i reeealllly want to go to UCSD. i am afraid i can't afford it. any advice???

have they sent out all the acceptance letters? I got nothing yet. I am super worried. :scared::scared: last year they sent out acceptance letter first, then rejection letters.

okay. I just got accepted to U of Arizona.
so now i really gotta make a decision because they only gave me till march 9
i need help!!!! i reeealllly want to go to UCSD. i am afraid i can't afford it. any advice???

either way, we're all going to end up taking loans and having to pay back $150-250 grand. 10 year repayment plan?

My acceptance letter just came in the mail today dated Feb 19th! I go to UCSD for undergrad and live right next to the school so you guys should hear from them soon.

Good luck!!!

Has anyone who interviewed on January 15th heard back from SD? It seems like the people who are getting letters of acceptance are the ones who did later interviews...

Has anyone who interviewed on January 15th heard back from SD? It seems like the people who are getting letters of acceptance are the ones who did later interviews...

I interviewed on January 16th and haven't heard anything (I also go to UCSD for undergrad right now). The only people I know who got accepted interviewed on January 30, too...

yeah i interviewed january 16th and haven't heard anything either.

reading about all these people getting their letters makes me so nervous.

btw, ucsd should stop using snail mail and just use email notifications... would save me so many trips a day down to the mailbox in anticipation.

I interview 1/16 and got my acceptance on 2/17
seems pretty random the way they are doing it!!!
UCSD2014- any suggestions of places to live to check out? doesnt have to be RIGHT near campus but pretty close?

I interviewed on Jan 16 and got my acceptance letter today! The letter was dated Feb 19. Good luck to everyone out there. :luck:

I interviewed 1/15 morning.

I heard they usually send out-of-state first and then everybody else. Letters get sent out until mid-March, from what I've been told by previous students.

I interview 1/16 and got my acceptance on 2/17
seems pretty random the way they are doing it!!!
UCSD2014- any suggestions of places to live to check out? doesnt have to be RIGHT near campus but pretty close?

Ok, here's the run down:

La Jolla is quite isolated from greater San Diego and probably has the highest living cost. You won't find a 1-bed apartment near the school for under $1000 and rent can run up to over $2000 for 2-bed or 3-bed, depending on the season you start your lease. However, I find that the reduced rent from living farther away is not worth the morning commute, unless you're really a morning person. Parking cost over $600 a year for grad/professional student and you may still have trouble finding a spot in the morning. Your best bet is probably finding student housing or find some roommates on craigslist/facebook and take advantage of our good free public transportation system. Several bus routes are free if you get this sticker from the parking office. We also have free shuttle services for areas surrounding the school which is what I usually take.

UCSD is HUGE, by the way, which is why I understand they did not have a tour for the interview. Even if you opt for the on-campus/student housing, it might still take you 15-30min walking from on-campus grad housing to the pharm school, since the new med/pharm/grad housing building isn't finished yet. There's a shuttle route called the Campus Loop just for going around the campus itself because it's so big! If you choose grad housing in adjacent communities, they have a pretty good shuttle system dedicated for that. You probably won't want to walk from there since you'll be walking across the 5. But then again, some people do.

Here're some links you might find useful:

http://www.ucsd.edu/current-students/student-life/parking-and-transportation/index.html

http://blink.ucsd.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/index.html (I swear by it)

http://hdh.ucsd.edu/arch/gradhousing.html

In addition, there are many large apartment complexes in the area you can explore but you might want to look up some reviews because some of the management can be rather unpleasant. Again, rent is expensive. Run a google search for La Jolla apartments and see what comes up. Most complexes won't pay for water and garbage either, so be sure to ask.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: