UCSD Fall 2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, here's the run down:

La Jolla is quite isolated from greater San Diego and probably has the highest living cost. You won't find a 1-bed apartment near the school for under $1000 and rent can run up to over $2000 for 2-bed or 3-bed, depending on the season you start your lease.

Probably ~1400-1950 in UTC for a 2 bedroom. The school is basically in UTC and not the actual heart of La Jolla. 3 bedrooms might cost 2000-2700 depending on which condo/apartment complex you pick.

However, I find that the reduced rent from living farther away is not worth the morning commute, unless you're really a morning person. Parking cost over $600 a year for grad/professional student and you may still have trouble finding a spot in the morning.

The drive from Del Mar enters the 5 and exits straight off the 5 to UCSD with it's own lane. You won't find much traffic that way but rents in Del Mar are fairly high. Any other place (south of campus on the 5 or 805) will probably result in traffic. Parking isn't bad at certain structures but those are the ones farthest away from the Pharmacy school. There's almost an entire structure devoted to grad student parking but it's smack dab near all the undergrad housing (which is why it's empty most of the time).

Your best bet is probably finding student housing or find some roommates on craigslist/facebook and take advantage of our good free public transportation system. Several bus routes are free if you get this sticker from the parking office. We also have free shuttle services for areas surrounding the school which is what I usually take.

Yes get the bus sticker. If you decide to commute, you can still park at UTC mall, Nobel, Arriba, anywhere really ... and take the buses in for free.

UCSD is HUGE, by the way, which is why I understand they did not have a tour for the interview. Even if you opt for the on-campus/student housing, it might still take you 15-30min walking from on-campus grad housing to the pharm school, since the new med/pharm/grad housing building isn't finished yet. There's a shuttle route called the Campus Loop just for going around the campus itself because it's so big! If you choose grad housing in adjacent communities, they have a pretty good shuttle system dedicated for that. You probably won't want to walk from there since you'll be walking across the 5. But then again, some people do.

Chances are you won't stray far from the Med part of campus... There's a hole in the fence by one of the grad housing areas where you can take a shortcut if you wanted to walk. It's still a bit of a walk but not that bad.

Here're some links you might find useful:

http://www.ucsd.edu/current-students/student-life/parking-and-transportation/index.html

http://blink.ucsd.edu/facilities/transportation/shuttles/index.html (I swear by it)

http://hdh.ucsd.edu/arch/gradhousing.html

In addition, there are many large apartment complexes in the area you can explore but you might want to look up some reviews because some of the management can be rather unpleasant. Again, rent is expensive. Run a google search for La Jolla apartments and see what comes up. Most complexes won't pay for water and garbage either, so be sure to ask.

Hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i got my acceptance letter yesterday dated 2/19. I interviewed 2/1. Torn between USC and UCSD though. Any suggestions? I have a month to decide.

i got my acceptance letter yesterday dated 2/19. I interviewed 2/1. Torn between USC and UCSD though. Any suggestions? I have a month to decide.

Wow, congrats! Those are both great schools. I would say look at your goals in pharmacy. If you're interested in research or clinical pharmacy, a challenging curriculum, and classes with future doctors, UCSD is the place to be. USC has excellent networking in Southern California and is good for both retail and clinical pharmacy, but tuition is a lot more expensive. If it were up to me, I'd choose UCSD. How about UCSF? Did you apply there? :D

UCSD-2/19/10

Waiting to Hear Back:
UCSF!!!:xf:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks princess. I live in LA so USC is my number 1 but I still find myself wondering if I should go to UCSD for the challenge, cheaper tuition and be part of their history as you so rightfully put it. USC has everything that I want PharmD/MBA, networking and close to home. Anyway I know I am blessed to be in this position as both are great schools. I was rejected at UCSF. I think we might have met at the USC interview based on your admit date at USC. I have a lot of reflection to do in the next three weeks. Will decide after finals.

thanks princess. I live in LA so USC is my number 1 but I still find myself wondering if I should go to UCSD for the challenge, cheaper tuition and be part of their history as you so rightfully put it. USC has everything that I want PharmD/MBA, networking and close to home. Anyway I know I am blessed to be in this position as both are great schools. I was rejected at UCSF. I think we might have met at the USC interview based on your admit date at USC. I have a lot of reflection to do in the next three weeks. Will decide after finals.

I am in the same situation!! I was set on going to USC, but I just got my acceptance letter to UCSD....now I am completely torn! Congrats on getting into both!!

thanks princess. I live in LA so USC is my number 1 but I still find myself wondering if I should go to UCSD for the challenge, cheaper tuition and be part of their history as you so rightfully put it.

Just curious, what history might that be?

I think the school has a great vision but it's still relatively new compared to USC and they are still cementing their name as a great pharm school. It's that vision I was referring to as "history". I hope I did not err on my part.

Wow, congrats! Those are both great schools. I would say look at your goals in pharmacy. If you're interested in research or clinical pharmacy, a challenging curriculum, and classes with future doctors, UCSD is the place to be. USC has excellent networking in Southern California and is good for both retail and clinical pharmacy, but tuition is a lot more expensive. If it were up to me, I'd choose UCSD. How about UCSF? Did you apply there? That's my number one school! :D

Hey congrats on getting accepted into UCSD! But just to let you know, the reason why pharm students take classes with med students is because there is not enough money/faculty to teach them seperately lol. So it's not really a "good" thing, it's more of a problem the school wants to eliminate. BTW, why do you think UCSD's curriculum is more challenging than USCs?

I think the school has a great vision but it's still relatively new compared to USC and they are still cementing their name as a great pharm school. It's that vision I was referring to as "history". I hope I did not err on my part.

You may be right but let's face it, the school's vision is research, research, and more research. It won't make a difference if you're going into clinical or retail or some other 9-5 job. Unless you want to do some cutting edge research at UCSD, likely you won't really cement anything to its history. Although, I do applaud you're enthusiasm!

Probably ~1400-1950 in UTC for a 2 bedroom. The school is basically in UTC and not the actual heart of La Jolla. 3 bedrooms might cost 2000-2700 depending on which condo/apartment complex you pick.

The drive from Del Mar enters the 5 and exits straight off the 5 to UCSD with it's own lane. You won't find much traffic that way but rents in Del Mar are fairly high. Any other place (south of campus on the 5 or 805) will probably result in traffic. Parking isn't bad at certain structures but those are the ones farthest away from the Pharmacy school. There's almost an entire structure devoted to grad student parking but it's smack dab near all the undergrad housing (which is why it's empty most of the time).

Yes get the bus sticker. If you decide to commute, you can still park at UTC mall, Nobel, Arriba, anywhere really ... and take the buses in for free.

Chances are you won't stray far from the Med part of campus... There's a hole in the fence by one of the grad housing areas where you can take a shortcut if you wanted to walk. It's still a bit of a walk but not that bad.

I've seen 2-bed apartments ~$2000 in La Jolla with a summer lease. Where did you find a 2-bed apartment for $1400? I'd like to check it out because most people I know pay over $400 for 2-bed with 4 people total. My 2-bed apartment now, pro-rated with a 2-month free special, is $1488, and that's considered cheap! My lease is ending soon and we won't have the pro-rate... which means our rent goes back up to $1750-ish. ><

Rent in "the actual heart of La Jolla" can actually be cheaper because housing around colleges are always overpriced. The point is that it's expensive compared to what people are used to, especially with student budget.

There are certainly people who commute from farther away to save money on rent. My mentor now lives about 15-20miles away in her own 1-bed room and commutes everyday... but she spends so much money on parking that she's thinking about moving closer and riding the free public transit. Grad parking gets bad everywhere too now, just not as bad as undergrad. I had to fight for B parking a couple of times since I borrowed my friend's permit before. :p ...but that was at noon-ish and we'd be lucky if pharm school started at noon. haha

Right now the only on-campus grad housing is in Warren -- on the complete opposite side of the campus. Check it out on the housing website. The walk from Warren might be comparable with walking from off-campus community with the hole in the fence shortcut but I'd take walking on-campus than walking from off-campus any day. At least I won't get stuck at the lights on campus when I wake up late. ;)

You may be right but let's face it, the school's vision is research, research, and more research. It won't make a difference if you're going into clinical or retail or some other 9-5 job. Unless you want to do some cutting edge research at UCSD, likely you won't really cement anything to its history. Although, I do applaud you're enthusiasm!

UCSD is research intensive, but that's not all it has. In my opinion, UCSD has a Student-Run Free Clinic project that provided free healthcare to over 7,500 people. No other school in California has such a program as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

I think every student does contribute to the history of UCSD. The curriculum is still undergoing changes and students' opinion affects what the next year's curriculum will be. Although you probably won't have your name carved into its foundations or be remembered for generations, I believe students do contribute to the growth and establishment of this school. However small, students can make a difference in how the school will be in the years to come.

Besides, being at a top research institution gives you the advantage to stay current in the field of pharmacy. A pharmacist (USC graduate) once told me that information in the profession completely changes every 10 years or so, so being closer to the source of new developments will help you keep up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen 2-bed apartments ~$2000 in La Jolla with a summer lease. Where did you find a 2-bed apartment for $1400? I'd like to check it out because most people I know pay over $400 for 2-bed with 4 people total. My 2-bed apartment now, pro-rated with a 2-month free special, is $1488, and that's considered cheap! My lease is ending soon and we won't have the pro-rate... which means our rent goes back up to $1750-ish. ><

Rent in "the actual heart of La Jolla" can actually be cheaper because housing around colleges are always overpriced. The point is that it's expensive compared to what people are used to, especially with student budget.

There are certainly people who commute from farther away to save money on rent. My mentor now lives about 15-20miles away in her own 1-bed room and commutes everyday... but she spends so much money on parking that she's thinking about moving closer and riding the free public transit. Grad parking gets bad everywhere too now, just not as bad as undergrad. I had to fight for B parking a couple of times since I borrowed my friend's permit before. :p ...but that was at noon-ish and we'd be lucky if pharm school started at noon. haha

Right now the only on-campus grad housing is in Warren -- on the complete opposite side of the campus. Check it out on the housing website. The walk from Warren might be comparable with walking from off-campus community with the hole in the fence shortcut but I'd take walking on-campus than walking from off-campus any day. At least I won't get stuck at the lights on campus when I wake up late. ;)

On break @work and on phone so I will be concise lol ... landed a deal at La Jolla Crossroads 3 or 4 years ago for 1488, 2 BR 2 bath. Parking structure out by ERC removed all the S spots and turned them into B spots recently because they tore up an old B lot ... not a lot of people knew about the change (cept the undergrads complaining about losing spots).

I just got my acceptance letter to UCSD :). I really thought I wouldn't get in because my interview didn't go so well. So for the people who are stressing out and waiting, relax! For the record, I interviewed on 1/16 and go to school at UCSD but the mail was sent to my home in the bay area and arrived today.

I got my acceptance today too! And I'm also from the BAY! Good luck to everyone!

You can get by with 500 per month with roomates (not including utilities).

Congratulations you guys! Have the majority of acceptances been sent? Its beginning to get frightening for the rest of us who have received nothing so far. :scared::(:confused:

You can also get by on 400-600 down by governor w/ roommates. Just rent a house and you're good to go.

Really? Ya got to be kidding me:laugh:

ummm Public VS Private??? flip the coin.:smuggrin:

WOO HOO! I got accepted. Going to UCSD for sure... since I am from San Diego... It just makes sense.. Awesome school, awesome weather :)

On break @work and on phone so I will be concise lol ... landed a deal at La Jolla Crossroads 3 or 4 years ago for 1488, 2 BR 2 bath. Parking structure out by ERC removed all the S spots and turned them into B spots recently because they tore up an old B lot ... not a lot of people knew about the change (cept the undergrads complaining about losing spots).

Friends hate Crossroads management... Maybe they're just really mean to college students.

The distance from ERC to Revelle is longer than the distance from my apartment to Revelle... go figure. :D

You can also get by on 400-600 down by governor w/ roommates. Just rent a house and you're good to go.

I did that my third year... not a great experience... There was only 2 ways out of my neighborhood: Genesee or 805. Both ridiculously congested every morning and afternoon.

Friends hate Crossroads management... Maybe they're just really mean to college students.

The distance from ERC to Revelle is longer than the distance from my apartment to Revelle... go figure. :D

Crossroads management sucks. Go live at renaissance if you're going to live in that area.

I've been living in University City for the last 3 years and I've never had any issues going to school via Genesee (it's coming home in the afternoon that's a big issue). I highly recommend living in UC because it's less than 10 minutes away from UCSD, you get a lot more bang for your buck, and you can take the bus if you don't want to deal with UCSD's hellish parking situation. Getting a place in UC is pretty competitive though, so be prepared to brown-nose those landlords.

Good luck tomorrow KS, not that you need it. I will see you at western tomorrow.

Hey Guys!

Congrats on your acceptances! I just received mine today. :D

Question: On the letter, it doesn't say anything about a deposit and I forgot what they said about deposits at the interview. Is there a deposit? If so, how much?

If not, can we technically switch schools after accepting a spot without losing any money (i understand its frowned upon)?

Thanks! Good luck to those waiting!

Hey Guys!

Question: On the letter, it doesn't say anything about a deposit and I forgot what they said about deposits at the interview. Is there a deposit? If so, how much?

If not, can we technically switch schools after accepting a spot without losing any money (i understand its frowned upon)?

hi congrats! are you from socal? when was the letter dated and what was the postmark date? thanks

Hey Guys!

UCSD doesn't require a deposit. You just need to send in the form that they mailed with your acceptance letter. You can pull out of any program whenever you want so long as you're okay with losing your deposit. Congrats and good luck with your decision!

I'm from the bay area, and I haven't received any acceptance or mail from UCSD yet.. I interviewed on 1/16. I'm really worried.

I'm from the bay area, and I haven't received any acceptance or mail from UCSD yet.. I interviewed on 1/16. I'm really worried.

I interviewed on Jan 16 & I have heard nothing...I guess the news should be in anytime now. Accept or not, it's going to be ok for me from now on since I am so tired of hoping & waiting, I just don't care any more. I gave all the interviews my best and if they don't like me ? life goes on :love:

Hey everyone,

I interviewed on 1/16 too but have not heard back yet and I'm starting to get really worried. They actually really messed up my interview. There was actually another person who applied with my EXACT same name (except for the middle name), and they printed out that person's application for my interview. So for the first 40 minutes of my interview, they thought I was a different person. It wasn't until I asked them if they were looking at the right application that they decided to check my middle name and realized they had the wrong person's app... I guess they never check pharmCAS IDs for interviews? They said this wouldn't hurt my review but how could it not? They don't even know who i am... Did this happen to anyone else? Or just me?

Hi guys,
Congrats to everyone! I am from the Bay too, and apparently I got accepted as well. I am looking for a place to rent, and La Jolla is expensive :scared: I am not looking forward to drive to school or fight with the parking situation. Please PM me if you are looking for a place as well. Thanks guys!

You guys can drive to the UTC mall and take the bus from there (101, 30, 49/42(?), 150, etc) for free. It might take an extra 15-20 minutes but you get free parking ...

In the right thread this time lol.
guess I'm the first
interviewed 1-30
/rejected
dated 2/25, im in socal, for reference

received a waitlist letter today.

dated feb 24.

post marked feb 26th.

received today.

anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist? i know they said they offer about 90 people admission. so 30 from the waitlist?

seems most people have received something. Interviewed 01/16, still waiting~~:xf:

received a waitlist letter today.

dated feb 24.

post marked feb 26th.

received today.

anyone know how many people they put on the waitlist? i know they said they offer about 90 people admission. so 30 from the waitlist?

I received an alternate letter today too.
I feel like they said ~100 people were offered admission (I went to the interview on 2/1), but I have no idea about how many are on the waitlist. Wishing you good luck on whatever school you decide to go! :luck:

Just received the letter today. Im on the alternate list too!!! I hate waiting!!!:smuggrin:

Got my letter yesterday too... I'm waitlisted too. Does anyone know on average how many people get accepted on the waitlist?

congratulations to all of you who get in!! May I know did UCSD send out an acceptance email before the mail came in? :)

Hey guys!

For anyone curious, I interviewed 1/15 and I got my letter in the mail yesterday, dated 2/24 ....alternate list :(

lol, good luck to every!

Hey guys!

For anyone curious, I interviewed 1/15 and I got my letter in the mail yesterday, dated 2/24 ....alternate list :(

lol, good luck to every!

Hello!

Is there ranking # on the alternate list? I think waitlist movement will start after 4/9... that is the date when accepted candidates need to let UCSD know by!

Hello!

Is there ranking # on the alternate list? I think waitlist movement will start after 4/9... that is the date when accepted candidates need to let UCSD know by!

Anyone else hearing from the school ? either yes or no or maybe...:mad:

For those of you who have been accepted and are attending in the Fall, have any of you signed up on the on campus housing waitlist?

I'm looking into living on campus in a grad student apartment, but it wants information on when we start school and I can't find that on the Pharmacy school calendar online or anything. I'm guessing they'll send info on housing and fin aid later, but I'd like to at least get on the waitlist early.