UCSD v Nwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious which one you guys would choose if money was the same, etc.

originally I would have gone with nwest because of P/f curriculum, but now UCSD has p/f

also does anyone know how they compare in terms of avg step 1/ residency placements?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally would choose UCSD for the sun/location (they're pretty equivalent academically or in terms of reputation). Differences in Step 1 scores (even if they do publish them), is likely more reflective of the admitted students than the schools themselves. Residency selection is also likely a wash, though there is regional bias (UCSD better for CA/west coast residences, NW better for midwest/chicago residences, probably equal for the east coast).

If you're in state for CA, that means unless Northwestern is offering you a big scholarship, UCSD will be 20k/year cheaper. That makes it no question in my eyes. I bet there will be very few times when its winter and 70 degrees out that you wish you had gone to the cold expensive school.

P/f really means no external ranking but internal ranking. PD's won't be able to see your external GPA, but they'll be able to see your dean's letter, which will rank you, either in numbers, percentile, or figuratively. Also, UCSD goes into High pass/pass/fail for clinicals.

Since UCSD is a major academic research center, and affiliated hospitals are amazing, the students, residents, and attendings can be quite mean. I've talked to a 4th year there and he was frankly quite tired of all the UCSD gunnerism (and, yes, to get accepted to UCSD means you're quite smart/gunnerish to start with).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably go with NU because of the facilities and less traditional curriculum. SD would be hard to say no to, in terms of weather. Still, it doesn't hurt that NU is in the absolute best part of Chicago, which is one of the best cities in the world.

for ucsd...that interesting you brought that up morsetlis
other people I've talked said ucsd is really chill so I'm not sure which way the school swings overall
also are there internal rankings at NU too?

Interesting discussion, as I've been accepted to both NU and UCSD.

For my San Diego interview, I stayed with current students who couldn't have been nicer or more laid back. From watching how everyone interacted, it was clear that there was an environment of mutual respect and support--not "gunnerism". Surely there are some gunners in every class, but it certainly does not pervade the school's culture as some have suggested.

NU has a very cool PBL-based curriculum, which I personally find very interesting. The one thing that I picked up on from my experience at NU was that the students seem either very self-assured or cocky. There is certainly plenty of mutual support and cooperation, though.

For me the deciding factors will be the financial aid package and the huge edge that SanDiego has with its climate compared to the windy city. NU is in a gorgeous area of Chi-town, and I even got to take in a Cubs game while I was in town, but I'm not too excited about their freezing winters.

just curious which one you guys would choose if money was the same, etc.

originally I would have gone with nwest because of P/f curriculum, but now UCSD has p/f

also does anyone know how they compare in terms of avg step 1/ residency placements?
if money is the same which i doubt it is id go ucsd easily but its based on nothing more then location. Id assume you are IS for sd so the cheaper option there makes it more desireable. repuation is a wash and im sure rankings are the same. Really it comes down to this (if money isnt considered). Where do you want to do residency? Which location would you prefer/do you want to live in sunny CA or snowy IL. If you want a residency in cali and to stay on this coast, it would probably be better to go to SD and vice versa for NW. You cant go wrong but being raised in southern cali, I wouldnt pass up sd for NW.

They need to open more med schools down here -.-

You're going to have a lot more relaxed 4 years at NU from my experiences with the two schools... USCD is perhaps one of the most hardcore med schools in the country.

You're going to have a lot more relaxed 4 years at NU from my experiences with the two schools... USCD is perhaps one of the most hardcore med schools in the country.

My sources say the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
My sources say the same.

Yeah, it's a little disconcerting to see facebook statuses about being in the library at 4 AM on a Friday night when they don't have tests the next Monday.

well, they're revamping the curriculum to p/f and less class time, so that might change the attitudes a bit

drizzt- how much of the intensity at UCSD derives from the lack of P/f curriculum (currently) versus the institution itself?

I'm just going to reiterate again, because there seems to be a prevailing theme that UCSD is "gunnerish". I don't know what these "sources" are, but here is an opinion from a current medical student who loves it at UCSD.

We do admit to the fact that UCSD used to be a very competitive school. This was mainly due to our previous administration. However, as of Dean Kelly, UCSD has become a very sociable and welcoming environment. Just in these last two months: we've had a class Vegas trip and a class skiing trip at Mammoth...not to mention all the smaller social events that we have. All of these events that we have come about through the use of our forums. We actually utilize our forums all the time, because we like to share things with each other. If you just look at our forums, you will see all sorts of study guides that we create for each other and all sorts of social things we invite each other to.

Yes, we do study a lot. But we also have a lot of fun. The part about studying comes from the fact that we have frequent exams. Some may hate this, some may like it. I personally find it useful, because without it...I wouldn't have much motivation. It helps to keep me on top of things. Yes, life gets stressful at times, but it should anywhere you go.

The fact remains, however, that UCSD med students do everything they can to help welcome incoming students and applicants. We take out a lot of time to give tours and answer questions. We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't love our school and if we couldn't afford the time.

I do love UCSD, but I love my classmates even more. I have never once felt the sting of competition. I have felt extremely at home here. Dean Kelly knows every student by name, and it is the support of the administration and their attention to detail, that has made our class so extremely social and cohesive.

Last edited:
I'm just going to reiterate again, because there seems to be a prevailing theme that UCSD is "gunnerish". I don't know what these "sources" are, but here is an opinion from a current medical student who loves it at UCSD.

We do admit to the fact that UCSD used to be a very competitive school. This was mainly due to our previous administration. However, as of Dean Kelly, UCSD has become a very sociable and welcoming environment. Just in these last two months: we've had a class Vegas trip and a class skiing trip at Mammoth...not to mention all the smaller social events that we have. All of these events that we have come about through the use of our forums. We actually utilize our forums all the time, because we like to share things with each other. If you just look at our forums, you will see all sorts of study guides that we create for each other and all sorts of social things we invite each other to.

Yes, we do study a lot. But we also have a lot of fun. The part about studying comes from the fact that we have frequent exams. Some may hate this, some may like it. I personally find it useful, because without it...I wouldn't have much motivation. It helps to keep me on top of things. Yes, life gets stressful at times, but it should anywhere you go.

The fact remains, however, that UCSD med students do everything they can to help welcome incoming students and applicants. We take out a lot of time to give tours and answer questions. We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't love our school and if we couldn't afford the time.

I do love UCSD, but I love my classmates even more. I have never once felt the sting of competition. I have felt extremely at home here. Dean Kelly knows every student by name, and it is the support of the administration and there attention to detail, that has made our class so extremely social and cohesive.

Seriously--I am waiting for the curriculum to get "hardcore" and for the legion of gunners to pop out of the bushes--it hasnt happened yet. UCSD=super competitive is BS, who are these sources? UCSD students? From what year?

Current students on CLINICAL rotations. There's a big difference between 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th years.

Seriously--I am waiting for the curriculum to get "hardcore" and for the legion of gunners to pop out of the bushes--it hasnt happened yet. UCSD=super competitive is BS, who are these sources? UCSD students? From what year?

What a gunner.

What a gunner.

I didnt mean the curriculum was easy (because it isnt), but it isnt any more "hardcore" than other schools.

I havent heard anything negative from our 4th years. Yea we have to work hard but by year 3/4 you need to be willing to do that because its time to actually get good at what you are going to do for the rest of your life. Going to some school where you end up spectating most of MS3/4 is not going to be beneficial in the long run.

I didnt mean the curriculum was easy (because it isnt), but it isnt any more "hardcore" than other schools.

I havent heard anything negative from our 4th years. Yea we have to work hard but by year 3/4 you need to be willing to do that because its time to actually get good at what you are going to do for the rest of your life. Going to some school where you end up spectating most of MS3/4 is not going to be beneficial in the long run.

Haha, no worries. I'm was just kidding...

To be fair, UCSD does have that image as being traditional and intense. Changes in perception take time to take hold, whether there is a new dean or not.

I went to UCSD. One of my cointerns went to Northwestern.

It seemed that compared to most of the other interns, we both had clinical rotations that were significantly more rigorous.

This is a good thing. Coddled medical students = weak residents.

I went to UCSD. One of my cointerns went to Northwestern.

It seemed that compared to most of the other interns, we both had clinical rotations that were significantly more rigorous.

This is a good thing. Coddled medical students = weak residents.

do you know anyplace in particular that coddles their med students?

Status
Not open for further replies.