UCSD v UCLA PRIME v Drew/UCLA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piperchap

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose UCSD but yea I've been in LA too long having an ocean nearby works and it has the same prestige as UCLA without the mandatory research. Between the other 2 you have to decide if that extra 40k is worth it. In my opinion 40k is cheap and an extra degree would make you more competitive for residency. Amazing choices tho gratz.

Reactions: 1 user
What will you use the additional master's for? Are you going to do an MS or an MPH or a MPP? Do you see this degree factoring directly into your future career? Yes, it'll probably help with residency, but maybe not mych more than taking a year off to do paid research.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, Drew UCLA will give you the same experiences as PRIME; however without the masters and extra 40 K + interest. Also PRIME is relatively new while Drew is much better established. Like ChemEngMD stated, that extra masters won't help you too much down the future so between Drew and UCSD. Some Pros for UCSD I found: pros: SANDIEGO/LA JOLLA IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL, students seemed out to HELP each other, collaborative environment, smaller class size (150ish), dissectional cadaveric anatomy / center for future surgery (im interested in surgery atm), only SoM in SanDiego means exclusive rights to most the teaching hospitals in the area (though I know for a fact UCLA has a few hospitals that only teach UCLA students), BOARD SCORE AVG: second highest in the country (next to JHU) by one standard deviation (240 i think was their average) Good luck with the decision and let us know where you end up!

IMO, Drew UCLA will give you the same experiences as PRIME; however without the masters and extra 40 K + interest. Also PRIME is relatively new while Drew is much better established. Like ChemEngMD stated, that extra masters won't help you too much down the future so between Drew and UCSD. Some Pros for UCSD I found: pros: SANDIEGO/LA JOLLA IS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL, students seemed out to HELP each other, collaborative environment, smaller class size (150ish), dissectional cadaveric anatomy / center for future surgery (im interested in surgery atm), only SoM in SanDiego means exclusive rights to most the teaching hospitals in the area (though I know for a fact UCLA has a few hospitals that only teach UCLA students), BOARD SCORE AVG: second highest in the country (next to JHU) by one standard deviation (240 i think was their average) Good luck with the decision and let us know where you end up!

Why are stats so low for drew? Does this program favor minorities, like howard?

For PRIME, did you get into the Drew PRIME program? If so, you combine the extra support, close knit vibe, underserved Drew clinical locations, the summer mentoring/ program for the PRIME program. Plus, you can use the extra year to do research to help with your thesis for fourth year. You don't have to necessarily get a degree during your extra year, I've known people in the PRIME that decide to do a research year at the CDC or NIH or other places like that instead so you have options.

Reactions: 1 users
For PRIME, did you get into the Drew PRIME program? If so, you combine the extra support, close knit vibe, underserved Drew clinical locations, the summer mentoring/ program for the PRIME program. Plus, you can use the extra year to do research to help with your thesis for fourth year. You don't have to necessarily get a degree during your extra year, I've known people in the PRIME that decide to do a research year at the CDC or NIH or other places like that instead so you have options.

~~~

Last edited:

Thanks for the info! And yeah I can't believe I'm lucky to be in this spot