UCSD vs Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD vs Stanford

• UCSD

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Stanford

Votes: 57 83.8%

• Total voters

shotofb12

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you pick?

I'm originally from San Diego which gives UCSD both pros and cons.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Financial considerations? Let's see what Stanford comes up with for need-based aid.

It might be more helpful if you give a more detailed list of pros and cons. As of now, it seems like the only reason you would go to UCSD is because you're from the area, which for most people definitely doesn't outweigh the prestige of Stanford.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, how attached are you to San Diego? Did you go to college somewhere else and struggle with being far from home the whole time?

Judging from the responses here none of you have actually been to San Diego. I know med school isn't supposed to be fun, but SD is simply a top 3 city in the US.

Judging from the responses here none of you have actually been to San Diego. I know med school isn't supposed to be fun, but SD is simply a top 3 city in the US.
I'm a Californian.

I've been to San Diego.

I've been to East Palo Alto.

San Diego >>>>>> East Palo Alto (not the question he asked)

Stanford >>>>>> UCSD (The question he asked). The prestige and professional advantages of Stanford far outweigh those of UCSD.

Reactions: 6 users

Guess you haven't been to Palo Alto. Not exactly a step down...

Edit: Guess I haven't been to East Palo Alto -- Sounds like I needn't rush to change that...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Stanford. My dad did residency there, and he calls it the country club of medical schools. His med students would leave at 5:30 pm because they would have a test the next day. The only downside is that a lot of Stanford students don't finish in 4 years, they take a year off to do research, or "find themselves". Don't think much has changed. Great school, really let you focus on what you want to get out of med school. And you can't beat Palo Alto!! Good luck to you, this is the definition of first world problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my grad school work at UCSD. Though SD is a nice city, I would definitely pick Stanford over UCSD.

I'm a Californian.

I've been to San Diego.

I've been to East Palo Alto.

San Diego >>>>>> East Palo Alto (not the question he asked)

Stanford >>>>>> UCSD (The question he asked). The prestige and professional advantages of Stanford far outweigh those of UCSD.

Yes but location had to be a factor. Deciding to attend Johns Hopkins has to be weighed against the idea of being in Baltimore. Especially in that region of Baltimore

Yes but location had to be a factor. Deciding to attend Johns Hopkins has to be weighed against the idea of being in Baltimore. Especially in that region of Baltimore
You cannot equate Palo Alto with Baltimore. Even if it is just an example. I have a friend who got her PhD from Johns Hopkins and lived next to the school. She tells me the crazy stories, but she survived and actually enjoyed the city.

Last edited:
EPA is so far from Stanford. It's almost like saying UCSD is in escondido

Reactions: 2 users
Of course it's reasonable to consider geographic location especially if you're comparing two comparable schools.

The problem is you aren't.

Stanford is a much more prestigious school than UCSD.

Well almost… If you multiply it by 10
(EPA 3 miles away; Escondido 30ish).
Well but Escondido is 35 min on I-15, EPA is 35 min on stand-still University Ave. Ok, maybe 25 min and Poway. (Hyperbole, like EPA's rep. )

I dunno, I think the main point is that Palo Alto and La Jolla (the real comparisons) are pretty much equivalent. Where La Jolla has a beach, Palo Alto has interesting food and high culture.

Last edited: