UCSD vs. GW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xxDOCxx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I just can't make up my mind and the closer May 15 is approaching, the more depressed I get. I'm originally from DC, but have lived in CA for the past couple of years, and hence, I am a CA resident. I really miss living back East, even though CA is not too shabby.
I really, really loved everything about GW on my interview day. I loved my potential fellow students, the facilities, the curriculum, the area. I got a really bad feel at UCSD on the other hand. I didn't love the campus, and felt like everyone seemed very "gunnerish." But then there's the prestige factor... What in the world am I going to do??

Members don't see this ad.

If you're interested in academic medicine, go to UCSD. If not, go where you'll be happiest.

Hey y'all!

I just can't make up my mind and the closer May 15 is approaching, the more depressed I get. I'm originally from DC, but have lived in CA for the past couple of years, and hence, I am a CA resident. I really miss living back East, even though CA is not too shabby.
I really, really loved everything about GW on my interview day. I loved my potential fellow students, the facilities, the curriculum, the area. I got a really bad feel at UCSD on the other hand. I didn't love the campus, and felt like everyone seemed very "gunnerish." But then there's the prestige factor... What in the world am I going to do??

all you have to do is listen to yourself. sounds like you've already made the decision in your head. now all you have to do is mourn withdrawing from ucsd. genuine happiness >>>> "prestige" IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't base your opinion on just one interview date at UCSD. You should talk to current students and maybe revist the school. (As I interviewed at GWU, and I didn't have the best feeling about that school....Interview days vary day to day)

Since you are Cali resident, UCSD will be MUCH cheaper for you. I would take UCSD over GWU b/c it pretty much wins in every regard.

ucsd is my favorite school in the world. i would do a revisit if you didn't go to the second look just to double-triple check that students were that gunnerish. and as stated above, tuition would be less.......unless you are happier at GW on the east coast, i also dont see an advantage that GW has over UCSD

If you're interested in academic medicine, go to UCSD. If not, go where you'll be happiest.
I second this opinion, UCSD is great for academic medicine, but when I interviewed at GWU, I had the more at home type of feeling. GWU has a great focus on clinical medicine and their track system gives you a lot of opportunities to have different types of patient contacts. Medical school wise, you definitely should go where you think you will enjoy your time the most, being at a "good" school and feeling miserable is definitely not the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.