RWJ vs GW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runandbake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Was trying to hold off on creating a X v. Y thread, but like others on this forum, I would love to have some opinions on this decision. I am currently deciding between two great schools, and I feel very honored to even be in this position...that said, another SDN'er said it perfectly: "I'm stressing the f*** out about it."

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I did not get a chance to go to either accepted students days. It also seems like both schools are similar in caliber (?) and match lists are pretty aligned.

Rutgers RWJ
+ In state tuition and overall cost of living will amount to around $60K a year
+ On interview day, I heard that RWJ is a very social school, which appeals to me. I am a work hard, play hard kind of person.
+ A true P/F school
+ Close to home so support network is there
+ Match list similar to GW

- I've been a city person so Piscataway suburbs aren't as enticing
- From what I've heard, the class tends to be younger in age and many go straight from undergrad (I am a non-trad so other I value being around a student body of mixed life experiences and passions)

GW:
+ Since I appreciate the city feel, DC seems ideal over Piscataway (however: I wasn't floored by DC...)
+ Student body seems more diverse all around (life experiences, geographically, etc..) which I appreciate
+ A true P/F school

- Cost is great. Tuition is around $58K and with living expenses in DC, average student spends around $88K a year according to the site
- Farther away from family and friends

THANK YOUUU!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!! I imagine you'll find your niche at either school. While I wouldn't underestimate the value of a support network (especially if childcare is an issue), it can also be good to spread your wings a bit. If you've been in New Jersey your whole life, my vote is for GW.

Congrats!! I imagine you'll find your niche at either school. While I wouldn't underestimate the value of a support network (especially if childcare is an issue), it can also be good to spread your wings a bit. If you've been in New Jersey your whole life, my vote is for GW.
Thanks! Definitely haven't been in NJ my whole life - I think because I've been in school/working all over the country, I like having the opportunity be in a new place. But not as inspired by DC as I would have liked... still though, it would be a new experience. That being said, not sure if that outweighs the practicality of going to RWJ if the schools are similar caliber (?)

Members don't see this ad :)
RWJ! cheaper + you liked the environment! Go OOS for residency :p

personally feel like GWU isnt better enough (if its even better) to justify attending over rwj, although i too would begrudgingly forgo city life