UCSD vs Mayo-AZ (same CoA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRentTooHigh

Reaction score
Before I begin, I just want to say that I know that neither of these institutions would close any doors for me and that no residency spot is guaranteed, I get it. But I am wondering 1) would either of these schools would give me an edge towards my goals and 2) does the Mayo Arizona campus hold the same Mayo Clinic weight to the eyes of attendings and program directors?

Goals: Match at Stanford or UCSF. Again, I know there is no such thing as a guaranteed match but for the sake of my question: I want to match at a “big-name” academic hospital. I have a huge preference to do residency near my home (San Francisco area), family, and support system. Hence, combining those two goals, my priority would be to match at Stanford or UCSF, while keeping my specialty options open. Of course, I would be happy matching at other “big-name” academic centers, but also being near home would mean a lot to me. Specialty interests: I am unsure about specialty but I want to keep my options open, even for surgical or lifestyle specialties. If you told me I MUST choose now, then maybe dermatology or surgery. I am almost certain I want to be in academia.

I think I would be willing to put up with 4 years of less favored location and vibe if it helps me get where I want for residency.

UCSD: same CoA
Pros:

-I prefer the area and weather
-It is in California (a better chance at matching Stanford/UCSF??)
-More collegiate vibe, students seem like students rather than coworkers
-I’m accustomed to a large research institution.
-Later CTE date. I am on the waitlist for my top choice which starts a lot later than Mayo.
-H/P/F (Mayo is 5-tiered)

Cons:
-Less prestigious than Mayo? (I am unsure if this would apply to Mayo Arizona, which many of the physicians I've spoken to say it is still considered a satellite campus)
-It seems like a fight to be on the top of the class if I want both a competitive specialty AND a brand name academic center for residency.
-More cutthroat?
-UCSD awards less “Outstanding” remarks than Mayo on the MSPE. Coming from a large public undergrad, I'm wary of these schools' intent on separating the all-stars from the best, from the good, from the decent
-2 year preclinical

Mayo-AZ: same CoA. Admin claims that everything will be the same as MN campus (accreditation, curriculum, opportunities, Dean’s letter, ERAS app, certificate)
Pros:

-More prestigious? (again, unsure if program directors will think Mayo AZ = Mayo MN)
-A lot of personal attention and guidance
-Recent Mayo MN match list looks amazing with the majority of their class in competitive specialties and/or brand-name academic centers (will AZ be able to replicate this?)
-1.5 year preclinical + 0.5 year worth of selectives
-Over 1/3 of the class earns an "Outstanding" remark on the MSPE

Cons:
-Arizona campus potentially be given less weight by program directors?
-Tiny class
-H/HP/P/R/F clerkships
-Not my preferred location
-There is no school vibe. Class seems more like friendly 9-to-5 coworkers.
-MN campus students will be given priority to MN clerkships but AZ students may do clerkships at MN if we manage to find someone to trade with or win lottery draws
-Based on my interactions, it feels like everything is watched, controlled, or edited by someone higher up.
-Did not have a chance to speak to potential classmates

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This reads like UCSD is the school for you. Also, UCSD wins out on location. Don't worry about the MSPE. Schools want their students to match well, and the use of one key word should not be a major deciding factor in which school to go to.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree - UCSD if you want to stay in Cali. It sounds like you'd prefer the location and lifestyle there more

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your post, it seems like you already made up your mind to attending UCSD. I have talked to Mayo AZ students, and the vibe felt way more friendly than just "9 to 5 coworkers" to me. If anything, I think UCSD gives off a more "cliquey" vibe. It seems like Mayo AZ would be better for you (your interests in academia). I also don't think Mayo would be a disadvantage in obtaining residency at Stanford or UCSF. It's a highly ranked school. Again though, the way you wrote this post gives off the impression that you'd be happier at SD. You listed a con for Mayo is that you couldn't meet your potential classmates. Doesn't the same situation apply to UCSD as well, considering both second looks were cancelled?

Reactions: 1 user
Based on your post, it seems like you already made up your mind to attending UCSD. I have talked to Mayo AZ students, and the vibe felt way more friendly than just "9 to 5 coworkers" to me. If anything, I think UCSD gives off a more "cliquey" vibe. It seems like Mayo AZ would be better for you (your interests in academia). I also don't think Mayo would be a disadvantage in obtaining residency at Stanford or UCSF. It's a highly ranked school. Again though, the way you wrote this post gives off the impression that you'd be happier at SD. You listed a con for Mayo is that you couldn't meet your potential classmates. Doesn't the same situation apply to UCSD as well, considering both second looks were cancelled?
The way UCSD virtual second looks were structured, we were given many more opportunities to meet