UCSD waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

classydude

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how many spots are open at UCSD? Any inside info from anyone who has talked to the admissions office?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the actual numbers, and as of revisit (week ago) there were around 180 offers outstanding. Of course, a lot of those people will not attend, but I don't know the fraction of people that normally drop out between revisit and May 15

Members don't see this ad :)
WAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I have a CHANCE!!!!

WAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :laugh: I <3 UCSD:love:

I saw the actual numbers, and as of revisit (week ago) there were around 180 offers outstanding. Of course, a lot of those people will not attend, but I don't know the fraction of people that normally drop out between revisit and May 15

I think they still have to trim down the acceptable pool to make the waitlist no? :scared: Any ideas on how many people make it from the pool to the waitlist? Maybe I will call tomorrow...

Wait what exactly do you mean by outstanding? Do you mean these people haven't accepted their offers?

hey guys...

i have some good sources that say it is over 220 (they are very reliable sources...wink wink) but yeah...good luck to everyone...especially teammonkeys!!!

:)

btw..i know there are more than 6 or 7 of us in the acceptable pool (although I wish there were only 6 or 7 of us :laugh: so guys...if you are in the pool just say hello and what's up....:) if you are just reading this post....

Hopefully I am not the only one confused, but the 220 are open spots to be filled from the waitlist?

sorry guys...g123 didn't mean that...apologies...i am watching the spurs suns game right now and wasn't paying attention..

they have given roughly 220 acceptances so far is what i mean...but I am pretty sure they will offer certainly almost hundred more...here is my logic...

79 students from the acceptable pool are part of ucsd's class from last year...i.e. 79 of 121 were in the pool from the class of 2010....

ucsd accepts roughly 280-300......

now...if they have already accepted nearly 220...then assuming like last year they will accept 80 from the pool...that leaves 300...but then again..this years class has more seats ...so they might need to offer more acceptances ....also...they will need to pick more than 80 from the pool since not everyone of those 80 called will accept....so...i think they might well offer 320 acceptances this year...

pm if it is complicated....:)

the few extra seats may well mean 30 + more acceptances! (unless they interviewed more people knowing they have more seats) ps...if my logic might be flawed somewhere...correct me!

I saw the actual sheet from the admissions office as of about 10 days ago. There were 178 offers that are ACTIVE, meaning people are either holding slots, or they have been accepted, and the school is waiting to see if they want to hold the slot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably a 1 in 4 shot if you're on the waitlist. But hopefully better for us. Now that May 15th is approaching, I'm getting anxious again.

yeah..avoid waitlist...get in next week!

sounds more promising than i originally thought, good luck to all of us in the acceptable pool!! Is Dean Kelly going to call you on the 15th or 16th if you are accepted?

I think she'll call you, because that's the quickest way to get a response. But I guess if she can't reach you or for some reason you didn't list a phone number, she'll email you... I think you should watch your email box tho in case...

do you think the adcom meets on like may 15 and calls everyone on may 16 and 17? i mean will they have all the acceptance drops ready in their hands and the waitlist data ready by may 15, seeing as how people can drop on may 15? that just sounds like a TON of work for one day...

sounds more promising than i originally thought, good luck to all of us in the acceptable pool!! Is Dean Kelly going to call you on the 15th or 16th if you are accepted?

btw..i know there are more than 6 or 7 of us in the acceptable pool (although I wish there were only 6 or 7 of us :laugh: so guys...if you are in the pool just say hello and what's up....:) if you are just reading this post....

I am also paddling in the acceptable pool :confused:

I am also paddling in the acceptable pool :confused:

good luck everyone!!!!! hi instigata!!!! i hope we all receive good news in the coming weeks....

quick note...(i'm sure it varies year to year though)....my first-year friend was in the acceptable pool last year (he sends a shout out to all of us) and got a call from dean kelly on MAY 13....saturday!

:luck: :hardy: :luck:

ahhh....a few more days! (hopefully)

Does anyone know how to withdraw an acceptance from UCSD?

good luck everyone!!!!! hi instigata!!!! i hope we all receive good news in the coming weeks....

quick note...(i'm sure it varies year to year though)....my first-year friend was in the acceptable pool last year (he sends a shout out to all of us) and got a call from dean kelly on MAY 13....saturday!

:luck: :hardy: :luck:

I'll be sticking by my phone this weekend!

me 2...well...i kind of expect it to happen tuesday-wed-thurdsay ish for those of us lucky enough...but who knows?!!!

btw..do med schools know where else you have been accepted at this point??

me 2...well...i kind of expect it to happen tuesday-wed-thurdsay ish for those of us lucky enough...but who knows?!!!

Do you think it will be that soon? Thats a lot of paperwork for them to do in such a short time. For the really top priority people im sure they will hear this weekend, but I dont think im in that group so I was thinking it may be a week after the 15th before I find out.

yeah because one med school told me the school i was going to and i was shocked!

but i don't think it matters...

Does anyone know when the next cut is, when they go from acceptable pool to waitlist? In looking at last year's thread, it looked like sometime in the early summer, but I can't remember exactly.

hey iceman...i'm gonna take a venture from previous years and say between 2nd and third week of june....but hopefully you won't be on it!!! (in a good way, not in a bad sense if you catch my drift)

Does anyone know when the next cut is, when they go from acceptable pool to waitlist? In looking at last year's thread, it looked like sometime in the early summer, but I can't remember exactly.

I heard from an MSII that they finished up unusually early this year with the interviews. So perhaps things will happen sooner than last year.

i know for a fact they were done with interviews before the 19th...

Hmmm...I wonder if the same amount of acceptances went out as in previous years despite the drop in number of interviewees? Sometimes more information makes me nervous :scared:

dont worry you guys, just enjoy your weekend and don't give up hope if you dont get a call on the 16th right away. I am sure there is going to be a lot of movement in the coming weeks and it might take some time before they can call you. Remember that probably a good amount of people in the acceptable pool have already been accepted elsewhere or are on different waitlists, so for those of us who have UCSD as our number one choice its looking positive!

haha am i the only one who has now become excited to check my spam box, if in case ucsd couldn't get through my cell phone AND their email went to my spam box (even though it has never happened in the past!!!) haha! ;)

yea dreamman is right...! Try and RELAX people's..rent a movie, play laser tag, watch spiderman 3 (although kirsten dunst is not my favorite person in the world...ugh) , go get a nice large cheese pizza....just don't sit and home and wait!!! that is the worst thing to doooo...u should get the call/email while you are busy preoccupied with something else, so you wouldn't feel the wait...i.e. for the next week try to be busy..it helps!

yea dreamman is right...! Try and RELAX people's..rent a movie, play laser tag, watch spiderman 3 (although kirsten dunst is not my favorite person in the world...ugh) , go get a nice large cheese pizza....just don't sit and home and wait!!! that is the worst thing to doooo...u should get the call/email while you are busy preoccupied with something else, so you wouldn't feel the wait...i.e. for the next week try to be busy..it helps!

yup, that's why i'm going to disneyland today with family from hawaii and seattle....will be staying through wednesday.

"turn that frown, upside-down!!!"

after the happiest-place-on-earth, i'll resort to lifting weights, running 10 miles, and 2 hours of yoga...a day. :laugh: :laugh:

good luck my friends!!!!!!!!!

u 2 barcelona-bound, safe travels!

For me it's back to two jobs for a combined work-week of 70 hours...

Don't all get envious at once please!

-P23

any news anybody?

no, but I dont think anyone will hear anything until May 16th. However if people have heard, let us know...

I called the admissions office today. They said that probably not until Wed/Thurs would they know how many spots were opening up. And then, probably not until next Monday would they be pulling peeps off the waitlist. Just so you know.

I called the admissions office today. They said that probably not until Wed/Thurs would they know how many spots were opening up. And then, probably not until next Monday would they be pulling peeps off the waitlist. Just so you know.

Thanks poikoi! Guess the waiting continues :confused:

i can wait a few more weeks...but honestly...i don't think i can mentally handle it until june, july...aug...it is just tooooo tough!

I figured that statistically one out of all of us on this thread will be accepted off the pool, so please let us know the second that happens so we can: 1) congratulate you and 2) start freaking out :laugh:

may 15th finally...........now we have to wait until who knows how long???!!???

dreamman...this thread was silent and we both posted at the same second...how weird

oh and explain your statistical reasoning please???

Yah that is weird...and on to my statistical reasoning:

Lets say that there are about 300 people in the acceptable pool. Now I am going to be conservative and say that 50 of them have either been accepted elsewhere and withdrew, leaving 250 people in the pool. Now I am going to be conservative again and say they only send out 50 additional acceptaces (even though in the past its been more I believe). That means that 1 out of every 5 people in the pool will be accepted. Since we all have the stats and everything to have been interviewed, there is little disparity between us. Finally since there are about 10 different people on this thread in the pool, statistically 2 of us should be accepted and at least 1 for sure.

Personall I hope we are all accepted, but I guess thats why I dont work on an adcom.