UCSD waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
ok so the office this year says that they wont be evaluating their waitlist pool until the 16 and 17 and then as late as Monday they will be calling people... Why do I feel like last year people were getting in on the 16???

OpenBook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the acceptable pool with y'all. Howdy!

I'm making strawberry jam today to pass the time, and to make good on 4 pounds of truck-ripened berries.

Right now UCSD is my last remaining chance, so I can't help but imagine my chances to be greater than they actually are. What's helped me more than anything is to see that there could be a lot of good in another year before med school, exciting challenges that will be harder to take up once I am in school, like making a really killer jam.

I'll post if I hear anything. Best of statistics to all of you!

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so pirata hasn't posted on this thread yet (she posted on the waitlist movement thread)...but she was put in the acceptable pool on 11/30 (according to her mdapps)....

and was ACCEPTED yesterday 5/15 from the acceptable pool!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS pirata!!!!!!!!!!! nice job!!!!!! good luck decided between the florida schools, baylor, and ucsd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the call can come ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, congrats to pirata!! Thats awesome! Second, I guess that makes me worry, I wonder how many people got the call yesterday and today? I was under the impression they werent calling until monday but I guess not...im still hoping for the best!

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
congratulations to pirata........:)

well so we do know the pool is moving.......ahh this scares me..........:)))

oh well, we'll see what happens from here on out...this is also my last hope!

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to those who got in and good luck to all those waiting. I hope to see every single one of you at SD next year:luck:

pirata

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everybody, thanks! this was really totally unexpected, and i hope you all get good surprises too in the next week! :luck:

p.s.-also, don't worry about calls just yet. mine was an e-mail from my interviewer, and perhaps a slightly unique case. i didn't get the impression that many folks had been contacted yet.

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright guys.....2 more business days until we hear....or have the possibility of hearing...:)..

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys..hows everyone doing??? hangin in there?

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, hanging in there...I guess there has been no more movement since pirata. I think ill lock myself in a closet all of monday with no access to the phone or internet :D

barcelona-bound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, hanging in there...I guess there has been no more movement since pirata. I think ill lock myself in a closet all of monday with no access to the phone or internet :D

yup, hangin' here, too!!!! i'm back at work, but with computer access i don't get much done....i'm going to go to long beach pride this weekend and let loose.....no sense worrying over the weekend! enjoy!!!!!!!

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey dreamman and barcelona-bound...can you guys do me a favor...i wanna stay off the boards for my own sanity...it is making me really crazy...if anyone hears anything from sd regarding pertinent info from the pool (i.e. acceptances...other info from the adcom, could you send me a private message to look)...that way it will show up in my email and i dont have to keep checkin and get paranoid every 20 minutes on this board!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hang in there. People get in even right before classes start. If you really really badly want to attend SD, just keep sending those LoIs every ten days or so.:luck:

tiddelypom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm in the acceptable pool with y'all, and UCSD is also my first choice!
I emailed something like a LOI a few days ago and Dr. Kelly replied, specifically saying that she wouldn't be offering additional acceptances until Monday. Here's the email (looks pretty standardized):

"Dear <me>,
Thank you for contacting us and letting us know of your continued
interest in UCSD. This is a hectic week, with lots of turnover in
medical school acceptances. I anticipate that we will start to offer
additional acceptances by next Monday, May 21.

We certainly enjoyed having you visit, and very much appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Carolyn J. Kelly, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs
Professor of Medicine, in Residence
UCSD School of Medicine"

So Monday is a legit date to wait for. But truth be told the only person I know that got in from UCSD's acceptable pool in past years got off it around June 20th.. so the list definitely keeps moving over the summer!

So definitely relax and leave your phones alone over the weekend!
Best of luck everyone, and congrats pirata and everyone else who's already in!

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hang in there. People get in even right before classes start. If you really really badly want to attend SD, just keep sending those LoIs every ten days or so.:luck:

Hey guys, some people have contacted me to see where I got the number "10" and well, I got this from nowhere to be honest. What I meant was that just keep sending the school and updating (well I don't know if you can really update them now) through emails, letters, phone calls, etc. If you do this, they will see that you're really interested in that school and your name will be fresh in their minds when it's time to make the decision.

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how many people have dropped? (ie how big the class size is now after may 15?)... like is it 70 people or 132 people? eek! (biting finger nails) :eek:

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called the admissions office and they said that this monday they are only going to be accepting people for 10-15 spots, and as the weeks pass more slots will open and they will fill accordingly. In the past they said its usually around 40 spots.

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
but don't they usually accept around 70-80 from the pool...(meanin> 40 spots!)

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think for those 40 spots they end up offering ~70-80 acceptances as some people would have already accepted somewhere else or have gotten off other waitlists.

Raamy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm in the acceptable pool with y'all, and UCSD is also my first choice!
I emailed something like a LOI a few days ago and Dr. Kelly replied, specifically saying that she wouldn't be offering additional acceptances until Monday.

hmmm...that's weird, i emailed her about a week ago, and she never replied to me.

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
perhaps she lost it in the email since the past week has been really hectic with movement....that is withdrawals not acceptances obviously..

i guess the fact that they will only accept 10-15 means that out of the 178 active only about 60ish dropped......so the class right now has 120ish people active....but that is just my speculation.......

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
g123,

i bet at least out of the 120ish people at LEAST 10 are waiting to get off waitlists somewhere else... i know the minute i get into ucsd (*if i get in!*), I'm dropping the med school i'm in like a hot potato...:idea:

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey t123....i agree., but actually if they expect about 40...then more than that are waitlisted elsewhere...but to be honest, like you send in a pm, they are being super conservative...since if last year they accepted 90 from the pool, there is no way it is just gonna be 60 (10-15 monday + 40 later (what they said))...especially with more seats...no WAY!)

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope that it is 90 spots, I really do...I wonder what kind of people are on the top of the list, I guess we will find out monday

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yep we'll find out...though I guarantee..not ME!

tiddelypom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so this is totally weird, and 100% contradictory to what she said in her email reply to me (see my previous post), but... umm.. I just got offered admission!!!
Over an email sent several hours ago, not by phone call.
I'm reeling...
The waitlist IS moving, there are many spots left, so keep your hopes up, and be sure to make sure the adcom knows exactly how interested you are in UCSD. I'm starting to think sending an email expressing my strong interest in them really made a difference. Best of luck everyone, I want to see you all there next year!!

coral

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Congrats tiddelypom!! You must be so excited :)

Thanks for the well wishes--hopefully your good news is a sign for the rest of us.

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so this is totally weird, and 100% contradictory to what she said in her email reply to me (see my previous post), but... umm.. I just got offered admission!!!
Over an email sent several hours ago, not by phone call.
I'm reeling...
The waitlist IS moving, there are many spots left, so keep your hopes up, and be sure to make sure the adcom knows exactly how interested you are in UCSD. I'm starting to think sending an email expressing my strong interest in them really made a difference. Best of luck everyone, I want to see you all there next year!!

Congrats Tiddelypom!! Thats awesome! Did you get an email from Dean Kelly or from one of your interviewers? Just wondering...

OpenBook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
But I suppose word will come no quicker for my worrying about it. I was wondering when might be a good time to send another letter to the admissions committee, and if anyone had reason to believe that the adcom might frown upon repeated statements of interest as undue impatience...

Best of luck to all of you!

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey openbook...yeah..i wasn't sure either about showing more interest, because at this point they might be inundated with so much movement and meetings...but who knows....:() do what ure heart says!

OpenBook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
bread pudding with yogurt and honey, and I followed!

Many mouthfuls later, I tell you there are plenty of pleasures to be had in the Present.

Thanks for the encouragement!

dreamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
no word for me either :confused: I imagine they have already called the people accepted and we must wait for more openings. I also contemplated sending in another letter, but I chose to wait a few weeks as to not bug them.

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
really u think so? I find it hard that not one of us was called..i mean..we have at least 15 people in this thing..oh well, I guess it is a small sample size.....ugh...! let's keep waiting!

classydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nothing for me either, ive heard that they called 15 people and now only have a couple spots open.

instigata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a call from an 858 area code (since I go to school at ucsd) at around 4:30. I got sooooo excited, picked up, and boom there it was...a call from the Red Cross asking me if I want to volunteer for them :confused: :confused: Stupid Red Cross, never liked them and never WILL

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i seriously wonder if they called anyone today.......i mean I don't know.....but it is just weird ....maybe it will be tomorrow

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i didnt get a call... well i guess we can just hope that the people who were called will reject their offer...

coral

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nothing here either. Aren't adcom meetings usually on mondays? Maybe decisions were made and a select few got calls?

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
well classydude heard that 15 calls were made... so... yah...

i felt more people on sdn were being called around this time last year... at least 2 more people...

geez more people have written about getting off washu's waitlist... and according to USNews that's the hardest school to get into...

ARGHHHHHHH

classydude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just simply called the admissions office and they told me that 15 spots were open and they had made calls to certain applicants (not me clearly) and that when more spots opened up there will be more movement. In the past people were accepted well into July, so I dont think its panic time yet. Its like the NFL draft, sure round 1 gets all the hype, but there are still rounds 2-7 left :)

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah i heard one oos'er got in 2-3 weeks before classes started last year...so like early august...

ganesha123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
u know what's bugging me here...if 80 out of 122 from last years class came from the pool, i would assume a lot more would have dropped from ucsd come may 15th...as in..maybe 40-50 spots free...certainly not just 15!...that is a really small number...here's to rounds 2-7!, if it ever comes!

coral

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I am just surprised that there were so few spots to be given out...somehow I expected more?

Thanks classydude for the info!

teammonkeys123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah me too... i'm kinda speechless! *sigh*

here's to rounds 2-7! :eek::luck:

I guess I am just surprised that there were so few spots to be given out...somehow I expected more?

Thanks classydude for the info!

sagemedecon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We can count on at least one more spot, someone on the ucla waitlist thread just said she is giving her spot up at ucsd now that she's off the waitlist at ucla. Good luck everyone!