UCSF Anesthesia -- any opinion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loweeric

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I have been hearing mixed messages from people who interviewed last year at UCSF anesthesia. Does anyone know more about the program? What I hear makes me not want to even interview there. A couple of people at my school, who interviewed there claim that program is very cold, residents work way too hard. People seems to be interviewing there because of Miller, who is retiring in two years. One student told me that the program director didn't even smile once throughout his interview. They have about 30% DO graduates, and that seems pretty high.

Anyone know anything about the program? Thanks.
Eric

Members don't see this ad.

loweeric said:
Hey folks,

I have been hearing mixed messages from people who interviewed last year at UCSF anesthesia. Does anyone know more about the program? What I hear makes me not want to even interview there. A couple of people at my school, who interviewed there claim that program is very cold, residents work way too hard. People seems to be interviewing there because of Miller, who is retiring in two years. One student told me that the program director didn't even smile once throughout his interview. They have about 30% DO graduates, and that seems pretty high.

Anyone know anything about the program? Thanks.
Eric

I am still learning about the program. They had 3 openings last year, all of them taken over by surgery residents. Most UCSF Medical Students who are applying to anesthesia, do not want to stay at UCSF, so that is kinda speaks for the program itself. There are many old and DO residents in program, which doesn't make sense given the reputation of program. I will keep you posted if I learn of anything.

newtosf94143 said:
There are many old and DO residents in program, which doesn't make sense given the reputation of program.

Maybe these particular residents happen to be among the more qualified members of the old and/or DO populations. Maybe they happened to beat out some younger MDs with worse applications and/or who came across as arrogant jerks in their interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good buddy of mine matched there a couple of years ago straight out of med school. Every time I talk to him he seems happy. He loves San Fran and says that he works hard. I don't want to sound like I'm talking down to anyone, but aren't residents supposed to work hard? Just curious, but what's so wrong about working hard when you'll probably come out trained better than most other anesthesiologists and be able to name what kind of practice/fellowship and where you'll practice in the future?

What I would like to know is why the first two posters to this thread share the same IP address - couldn't you talk to each other in person?

Please, go have our sock puppet conversations somewhere else.

Just as a side note, I hope that most of you new applicants aren't looking at work load as a factor in your decision making. As I have stated in the past, you have an opportunity to learn on someone else's license during residency and you need to do as many difficult cases as you can to prepare yourself for private practice or even academic practice.

Look at the type of cases being done, not the workload. If you are working hard but doing mostly difficult cases, you are benefitting tremendously. If you are working hard but doing mostly eyes, lap choles, or basic ortho, you are probably not getting as much benefit.

Well, I am finally forced to get a user-id.

These lies/rumors about UCSF shouldn't continue unabated. Let's get real here.

We have no DO's - that is, 0% - although I don't think that means much. I met some great DO residents as an intern and have seen some great med students in DO programs. Still, that 30% number was a lie created out of thin air.

The first year class has one FMG - completed anesthesia training abroad, now retraining to be board eligible in the US.

Ron Miller is not planning to retire in two years, but next month you can get the latest edition of his text formerly known as 'anesthesia', now to be called 'miller's anesthesia' - 2 of the text's (5 or so) co-editors are also prof's here. UC anesthesia is much much deeper than Miller. If he retired today the reputation would be as strong as ever.

We do work hard...very hard. You will hear that a lot. It is true. It is tiring. Hey, you can only learn so much anesthesia from a textbook. This is residency - bring it (especially while I still have an attending somewhere I can call)!

In the UCSF school of med class of 2004 - 13 grads matched into gas. 5 at UC. The CA-3 class had 6 match from UCSF out of 9 grads going into gas that year. The CA-2 class had only 1 match out of 6 (but only one didn't rank UC first). The CA-1 class had 2 out 10 (only one didn't rank UC first). UC grads want to come to this program, but so do people from many other places, yet it is competitive from a selectivivty standpoint.

The program is overall sort of lukewarm. Definitely not warm and touch feely like a brigham or a stanford but more like an MGH. You will be pushed but the pressure creates diamonds. You can't be lazy or you will not get through. If you work hard you will come out ready to perform at the highest level that can be expected and will be very competitive for all fellowships and highly sought after private practice jobs, particularly those in the major metropolitans areas of the golden state.

Don't hate and spread lies and deception.

UCSF is awesome.

I don't believe there is a better program in the country.

Don't let those wacky DO's in. Sure they might bring some humor but at what cost!?! Any program that lets DO's slide in should be avoided :D

ucsfgasres, you are getting a great resident in Cynthia Wakefield. Not sure where she is doing her internship, but she was definitely one of the stars of the UTSW medical school and one we were really hoping to keep.

Speaking of R. Miller, is he planning on doing anything "unusual" this year or next?

loweeric and newtosf94143:

Coming from the same IP address, the two identies most likely belong to the same person...

Most likely you are a current anesthesia applicant applying to UCSF (and it is probably your top choice). You probably hoped that you could come on here and scare some people away from the UCSF program by making some very negative statements about it.

Alas, unfortunately for you, this did not happen. Attempting to manipulate the forums to increase your chance of matching at a progam by making (false) statements about it is highly immoral. You appear to be the same person who would cheat on an exam, or do anything to boost your own application/grades/etc - to hell with ethics or other people. It is unfortunate that there are people like you applying for anesthesia. I truly hope that I do not run into you on the interview trail. (I would also be careful making false statements when your location can be easily traced via your IP address).

Ultimately, many people have come forward to refute your false claims. Best of luck in your future endeavors, but please to try grow up.

Perhaps there are a few DO's there who haven't revealed themselves. Have you met all 70 residents? Not trying to cause strife, but I did want to keep people aware of the situation. By the way, Dr. Miller is a great guy, very personable and interesting if any of you get a chance to meet him.

Dr. Miller gave me my oral exam. I pretty much soiled myself... but at least I passed.

I heard Millers daughter is a CRNA. Just thought it was kind of funny.

i wasnt planning on applying to ucsf, but because this idiot insists on being selfish, maybe ill get an interview to make it that much harder for him

Keep it ethical,

Mike