UCSF English Composition Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

conbird007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going through my list of schools just to make sure I had everything in order before applying and noticed that UCSF specifically requires 2 semesters of English composition from a university. I took 1 English comp. class at my university and had taken 1 at a community college during high school. As I went through college, I worried that might be an issue with schools, so I took another English class at my university. But it was Western Literature, and I'm wondering if this would fulfill UCFS's requirement. I'm just not sure if it being a writing intensive English class qualifies it to be an English comp. class and don't want to waste money applying there if it doesn't. If anyone has any idea, I'd love to hear. Thanks!

Also, UCSF apparently doesn't have any way of contacting them for admissions questions, or else I would just ask them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was going through my list of schools just to make sure I had everything in order before applying and noticed that UCSF specifically requires 2 semesters of English composition from a university. I took 1 English comp. class at my university and had taken 1 at a community college during high school. As I went through college, I worried that might be an issue with schools, so I took another English class at my university. But it was Western Literature, and I'm wondering if this would fulfill UCFS's requirement. I'm just not sure if it being a writing intensive English class qualifies it to be an English comp. class and don't want to waste money applying there if it doesn't. If anyone has any idea, I'd love to hear. Thanks!

Also, UCSF apparently doesn't have any way of contacting them for admissions questions, or else I would just ask them.
They do. I'm at work now so can't look it up, but call whatever number is listed on the ADEA supplemental 2017 site for UCSF. Then listen to the options and push the number to take you to the correct extension.

They do. I'm at work now so can't look it up, but call whatever number is listed on the ADEA supplemental 2017 site for UCSF. Then listen to the options and push the number to take you to the correct extension.

Oh, sweet! I just saw on their website that they said they didn't have the resources to answer questions or something, but I thought that was strange. I'll look that up. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Your question got me concerned, so I was exploring their website, and it says that a 4 or 5 in AP Lang. & Comp or AP Lit. & Comp completely fulfills this requirement. If they're willing to take AP credit, then they're probably willing to take community college credit (especially since so many CA students nowadays are starting with their first 2 years in a JC). On the prereqs page they have a link to approved community colleges for transferring credits too, so you may want to explore that a bit.

Your question got me concerned, so I was exploring their website, and it says that a 4 or 5 in AP Lang. & Comp or AP Lit. & Comp completely fulfills this requirement. If they're willing to take AP credit, then they're probably willing to take community college credit (especially since so many CA students nowadays are starting with their first 2 years in a JC). On the prereqs page they have a link to approved community colleges for transferring credits too, so you may want to explore that a bit.

That would make sense, but I'm not sure. Above the pre-reqs, it says "A minimum of 30 quarter units or 20 semester units must be completed at an accredited four-year institution. These units must include the following subjects:" and lists all the pre-reqs. So I'm guessing they wouldn't. Also, I'm not from California, so the community college my credits are from isn't on there, unfortunately. But I'll look a little further into it just in case it helps answer my question. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

That would make sense, but I'm not sure. Above the pre-reqs, it says "A minimum of 30 quarter units or 20 semester units must be completed at an accredited four-year institution. These units must include the following subjects:" and lists all the pre-reqs. So I'm guessing they wouldn't. Also, I'm not from California, so the community college my credits are from isn't on there, unfortunately. But I'll look a little further into it just in case it helps answer my question. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Ohhh gotcha, yeah that both complicates things a bit. Well, never know till you contact them. I have a friend who had to send in a syllabus to a (different) school to prove she took a writing-intensive class, so maybe they'd give you that opportunity. Good luck!