poofy83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Hi -

For any UCSF students out there...where are the best places to live for your first year of dental school? I would like to be where most of the dental students live...thanks.

gbdental

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Earth
Status
Resident [Any Field]
poofy83 said:
Hi -

For any UCSF students out there...where are the best places to live for your first year of dental school? I would like to be where most of the dental students live...thanks.
UCSF has 'campus owned' housing for both single students and students with families. I'm sure you've checked out ucsf.com for all the housing options available...if not, do it. I lived in the Aldea single student housing during my first year. It is up in a hill behind the school, so it feels like you're living in a park, which is nice but you have to either take a shuttle or drive to get anywhere. I felt like I was missing out on the city life, so I moved into a non-university-owned apartment a couple blocks away from the school. I like this a lot better because I can walk to school, walk to dinner, and easily access the MUNI (SF transportation system). The disadvantage is that I don't have nearly as much student interaction. Most dental students live off-campus like myself, but there are a good amount who live in University-owned apartments. If you are looking for a place where most dental students live I would say either Aldea, Turk, or the Avenue houses. I recommend Aldea or the Avenue apts. Turk is farther from campus, but you will have roomates which gives you a better opportunity to meet new people. Your roomates will be from any of the UCSF schools (Pharm, Med, Dent, Nursing, etc.). You will also have roomates at the Avenue apts, but you are way closer to campus (walking distance). When I applied, these were only available to upperclassmen, which might have changed by now.

Good luck on your choice...anywhere you end up in SF you will be happy. See you in the fall!