UCSF interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YAYY!! I got the UCSF interview invite today for 2/20/09! It was dated 12/19 and I live in the OC in socal. Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as you received the confirmation email from UCSF saying your application was complete and that it was ready for review, I think you have nothing to worry about.

I just re-read the email, and it only says that the supplemental application is complete.

Don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but I believe that I am going to be disqualified for this round b/c of this. Argh...wish i paid more attention.

hi i live in cupertino, ca area and i still haven't heard from ucsf......my application is complete but i'm afraid that they have sent the letter to my old address that i put on pharmcas as my preferred current address. i have updated my contact information on my supplementary application but i didn't really contact admissions until the 23rd......i didn't know they would mail the letters out starting from the 19th.......does that mean they will cancel my application? what should i do?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi i live in cupertino, ca area and i still haven't heard from ucsf......my application is complete but i'm afraid that they have sent the letter to my old address that i put on pharmcas as my preferred current address. i have updated my contact information on my supplementary application but i didn't really contact admissions until the 23rd......i didn't know they would mail the letters out starting from the 19th.......does that mean they will cancel my application? what should i do?

Joel's blog says that they will not answer "What's my status?" type questions until January 12. A different address does not mean that they will cancel your application -- it just means that you won't be getting the letter. If you didn't have your mail forwarded by USPS and you wind up not getting your letter, I'm sure you can contact OSACA after Jan. 12 and something can be done.

Also, don't worry if you haven't gotten your letter yet. I think that their process is random. Last year, my letter arrived right before Christmas, but my friends in the same San Diego area didn't get theirs until the first week of January. I know it's hard not to worry, but you really don't know until you get the letter, so don't just assume it's bad news until you hear back ^_^

Jesus, I am so scared to go downstairs and check mail right now.

I would never want to live in California so I did not apply, but I know UCSF meant a lot to you. Did you get an interview?

yea, I understand that but I just wanna know what UCSF is looking for to improve my chance next year. I have some volunteer, research and work experience ( a certified technician for 8 months). I also have high GPA. So I don't know what I should do next. More volunteer?

I didn't get an interview, but I remember a UCSF P1 commenting something like, "you know, I volunteered at the soup kitchen and was in the pre-pharm club, but my classmates like RAN the soup kitchen and were PRESIDENT of the pre-pharm club"... I went to a UCSF preview session and definitely got the impression that they are looking for go-getters. Personally, my grades were ok, I have a little bit of volunteer experience, and a ton of pharmacy experience, but I'm pretty sure what I lack in their eyes is the leadership positions (even better if you were "voted" into a leadership position). Obviously each school is looking for something different, because I already have an acceptance.. but like UCSF said, they're looking for a "fit". I wasn't so sure I'd fit there, anyway, so I'm not too heartbroken.

Like TrjTraddie said, best is to give them a call in May and make an appointment to chat about your application. I believe others have done this and found it helpful.

--For swe3tpea, I thought that using the "PharmCAS eLOR" service just meant that your letters were submitted through PharmCAS - whether PharmCAS has it submitted online or mailed in, they are going to print or make copies and send your application packet off to the school.. it should be fine. One of my LORs was mailed in to PharmCAS, and UCSF never indicated it was a problem; my application was still considered complete.

Joel's blog says that they will not answer "What's my status?" type questions until January 12. A different address does not mean that they will cancel your application -- it just means that you won't be getting the letter. If you didn't have your mail forwarded by USPS and you wind up not getting your letter, I'm sure you can contact OSACA after Jan. 12 and something can be done.

Also, don't worry if you haven't gotten your letter yet. I think that their process is random. Last year, my letter arrived right before Christmas, but my friends in the same San Diego area didn't get theirs until the first week of January. I know it's hard not to worry, but you really don't know until you get the letter, so don't just assume it's bad news until you hear back ^_^

thanks happycow, i feel much better.

I would never want to live in California so I did not apply, but I know UCSF meant a lot to you. Did you get an interview?

I'd rather not say anything :)

Last edited:
YAY IV on 2/13! What are the best options for hotel accomodations?

Good luck to everyone!

letter dated: dec 19th
postmarked: dec 22nd
received: dec 24th in berkeley, CA

interview set for feb 7th! i was so excited that i ran around the streets clutching my letter!! i am so excited about UCSF, i really hope this is it for me.

i was looking on their website, i couldn't seem to find # interviewed vs. # accepted... only the GPA info of the previous applicants? anyone have an estimate? thanks!

Last edited:
letter dated: dec 19th
postmarked: dec 23rd
received: dec 24th in berkeley, CA

interview set for feb 7th! i was so excited that i ran around the streets clutching my letter!! i am so excited about UCSF, i really hope this is it for me.

i was looking on their website, i couldn't seem to find # interviewed vs. # accepted... only the GPA info of the previous applicants? anyone have an estimate? thanks!

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolUCSFpage.htm

I didn't get an interview, but I remember a UCSF P1 commenting something like, "you know, I volunteered at the soup kitchen and was in the pre-pharm club, but my classmates like RAN the soup kitchen and were PRESIDENT of the pre-pharm club"... I went to a UCSF preview session and definitely got the impression that they are looking for go-getters.

Ha! I was totally the one who said that. And it still continues to be true (I'm a P2 now). I fully expect my future classmates to be creative, articulate, diverse individuals with a strong interest in advancing the profession and serving the underserved.

Your list of questions is awesome - exactly what I was looking for! Could you please tell us a little more about the UCSF Interview process and what to expect? Thanks. Your time and help is much appreciated.

I remember being most terrified about this interview so I prepared a lot more than my other two (USC and UOP). Overall, it was a pretty low key day but the interviewers themselves definitely expected me to know my stuff. They asked me the regular round of questions and a few I wasn't expecting. I highly suggest checking out the interview feedback portion of this site, it was very helpful to me. I tried to convey my knowledge and passion about the profession, my integrity and the unique views I would bring to the class. I never rushed through my answers and I always took a second to figure out how I was going to answer (even if I already had a thoughtful answer semi-prepared). But most importantly, I was myself throughout the entire interview. I explained my flaws and highlighted my strengths and was completely sincere. By showing the depth of my character, I really laid it all out for them and I believe that is what got me an acceptance letter.

In addition to the interview, there is also a pre-req/financial aid conference, the writing test and a "chill" room where you get to hang out with awesome pharmacy students like my class :) If I had any suggestions, they would be to bring a snack and don't bother getting there super early, as the registration table doesn't open early.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview letter too, but I just declined today.. I already got in at my first choice so I don't need to interview anywhere else... hopefully someone can take my spot, thats why I declined so fast. Good luck to everyone going to the interview!! =)

I received an interview letter too, but I just declined today.. I already got in at my first choice so I don't need to interview anywhere else... hopefully someone can take my spot, thats why I declined so fast. Good luck to everyone going to the interview!! =)

I'm curious.. what is your first choice school??

wow.

gpa 3.1
interview 2/20

Does anyone wanna carpool to SF for the 2/20 interview from LA?

Yay, received an invite for 2/13!!! Good luck to everyone!

Got my interview acceptance today. It's scheduled sometime in Feb. Good to know since I'm heading to big bear tomorrow morning to snowboard for the next week.

Good luck to those still waiting.

Just received my letter today! I will be interviewing in February as well!

I just got my interview letter today!!!! The letter was dated 12/19, postmarked 12/22 and then postmarked again 12/23. I have a feeling it got lost, but whatever it came! It finally came! I'm sooo happy! :) This was definitely a picker-upper since I just got my SD denial a couple days ago. What a way to end the year! Happy New Years everyone! And Good luck!

Whew. Good to know a lot of people got it recently. (Dated 12/19) Best pre-New Year's Day gift I could've gotten. Plus, holiday OT tomorrow! Best wishes on a successful new year. Have fun, everyone!

Hey everyone. I got my interview letter this Monday (12/29) in SF, dated 12/19. Funny thing is that the envelope they sent my letter in had a whole bunch of crossed out stuff on the front... like the envelope bar code on the bottom, a previous return address, some random words. kinda freaked me out when i first saw it. thought my app was so bad they couldnt even give me a new envelope.

i guess theyre going green and recycling an envelope. oh, yea my interviews on 2/12. good luck to those still waiting!

overall gpa: 3.2
volunteer: ucsf med center for 5 summers,
leadership stuff: student org (social) historian - 1 yr, AMSA local chapter PR chair - 1 yr
work: 2 yrs school pharmacy, currently at target
graduated with BS already. taking this yr to finish up prereqs and read.

Last edited:
Funny thing is that the envelope they sent my letter in had a whole bunch of crossed out stuff on the front... like the envelope bar code on the bottom, a previous return address, some random words.

Yeah, I think the reason why people are getting delayed is because of two addresses in the plastic window. A few of our letters must've been sent back to UCSF, adjusted, and sent out. Better late than never right? (Happy New Years)

Yeah, my envelope had the same cross-outs! That freaked me out too. Anyway, good luck w/ your interview.

Hey everyone. I got my interview letter this Monday (12/29) in SF, dated 12/19. Funny thing is that the envelope they sent my letter in had a whole bunch of crossed out stuff on the front... like the envelope bar code on the bottom, a previous return address, some random words. kinda freaked me out when i first saw it. thought my app was so bad they couldnt even give me a new envelope.

i guess theyre going green and recycling an envelope. oh, yea my interviews on 2/12. good luck to those still waiting!

overall gpa: 3.2
volunteer: ucsf med center for 5 summers,
leadership stuff: student org (social) historian - 1 yr, AMSA local chapter PR chair - 1 yr
work: 2 yrs school pharmacy, currently at target
graduated with BS already. taking this yr to finish up prereqs and read.

Still no letter...then again I am in a foreign country and Jan 1-4 are national holidays. I'm beginning to think that I'm among the 5 files that UCSF didn't send out with the rest of the letters.

Nervous!

yay. Finally found out that i got an interview for UCSF today after spending new years in vegas. I say this is a good way to start of the new year. Interview on 2/20.. hopefully ill see everyone there. Congrats to everyone.

Got Rejected to UCSD though :-( kind of disappointed but UCSF makes it all better :)

yay. Finally found out that i got an interview for UCSF today after spending new years in vegas. I say this is a good way to start of the new year. Interview on 2/20.. hopefully ill see everyone there. Congrats to everyone.

Got Rejected to UCSD though :-( kind of disappointed but UCSF makes it all better :)

haha same here.. rejection from ucsd but interview with sf..and i have a trivial dilemma. skirt suit or pant suit.. hmm..

haha same here.. rejection from ucsd but interview with sf..and i have a trivial dilemma. skirt suit or pant suit.. hmm..

Personally, I am going with a pant suit. I need to go shopping...:D

Interview Jan 30th....
Dated 12/19 and postmarked 12/22...

congrat! I am wondering why UCSD rejected you. What is your stat? Are you living in nor cal?

congrat! I am wondering why UCSD rejected you. What is your stat? Are you living in nor cal?

3.25 GPA / 3.1 Science GPA
Extracurricular Activities include PrePharm Society, Volunteering at AIDS Walk, Volunteering at the American Cancer Society, 2+ Years volunteering at Hospital Pharmacy

Working on 3 Research Projects; getting published in 2 of them hopefully this coming year

I live in So Cal.

Yes i am very perplexed but its okay.

I got rejected from UCSD as well, but interview @ UCSF on feb. 7th. UCSD interviews less people, perhaps, and their program is half the size of UCSF's, so maybe that's why. I didn't have my hopes high for UCSD, even though I'd have liked that cuz I'm from SD. but UCSF is the awesomest (yes totally a word), so that's all that matters! =)

I got rejected from UCSD as well, but interview @ UCSF on feb. 7th. UCSD interviews less people, perhaps, and their program is half the size of UCSF's, so maybe that's why. I didn't have my hopes high for UCSD, even though I'd have liked that cuz I'm from SD. but UCSF is the awesomest (yes totally a word), so that's all that matters! =)

:thumbup::thumbup:

I say skirt suit - I wore a dress suit to my interviews and it worked!

Does anyone know when ucsf sends out the acceptance letter/result of the interview? Is it 2 weeks after the interview date?

Looks like most people either got interviews at UCSF or UCSD, but not both. Strange huh?

Does anyone know when ucsf sends out the acceptance letter/result of the interview? Is it 2 weeks after the interview date?

If you're lucky you may hear back at the end of February. Assuming nothing changes too drastically from last years matriculation cycle, March-April will be the month of big news.

Looks like most people either got interviews at UCSF or UCSD, but not both. Strange huh?

I actually don't think it strange, from reading this board, looking at the stats people posted, and my overall perception of the schools, I've formed an opinion that the two schools have two distinct "ideal applicant profiles" and chose applicants on slightly different criteria.

received my interview leter for 2/7/09

pretty excited :thumbup: i spent hours upon hours on those essays

I say skirt suit - I wore a dress suit to my interviews and it worked!

i don't mean to be sexist but I've seen some ladies wear dress suits and it has left a better impression on me. I've been in a group interview where my competitors wore dress suits and the interviewers were looking at her 80% of the time while they just looked at me 20% of the time.:smuggrin:

Oh the woes of being under 25:(. Can't rent a car without a ridiculous surcharge.

How is everybody getting around and what kind of accomadations have you made anyway? Never driven around up there by myself. I scheduled Touro and UCSF on the same weekend so I didn't have to fly up twice.

I was thinking of staying in Burlingame because I know its quiet and safe. Thoughts or advice would be much appreciated :D.

can someone tell me what the instructions are to confirm your interview date. do we respond via email/mail/phone to say we are attending (i haven't seen the actual letter because i am still on vacation)

koercive, the instructions are in the letter, where it lists a website and a pin for you to use. double check with your letter for your instructions as they may be different than mine. also, you have 14 days to accept their interview offer.

you can pm me and i'll give you the website, and what i believe your pin would be.

OSACA should be open tomorrow morning since classes resume tomorrow, so your best bet would be to call them to make sure of the interview acceptance details. best of luck!

cheers!

mitchy,

i live in the inner sunset neighborhood of san francisco, which is relatively close to the school.

if you are going to stay in burlingame for both the ucsf and touro interviews, you are going to be driving in a lot of traffic, which may not be very conducive to interviewing well.

there are plenty of areas in san francisco that are both quiet and safe. email me and i can give you some ideas of where to look. also, berkeley might be another place to check out since it is between vallejo and san francisco and is relatively safe.