UCSF interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OSACA should be open tomorrow morning since classes resume tomorrow, so your best bet would be to call them to make sure of the interview acceptance details. best of luck!

Directions are in your letter. Why call and display your inability to follow directions? If you know you got an interview, then someone has seen the letter and can provide you with instructions, right? Right. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

koercive, call them, and tell you you need your pin to accept your interview.

Last edited:
YaY! WOW!:thumbup: I got an interview on 2/7/09, postmarked Dec. 22 and dated Dec. 19. I am on the East coast.
:laugh::xf:
I can't believe it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like most people either got interviews at UCSF or UCSD, but not both. Strange huh?

Not entirely true. Although, they do share this information, so it's not too strange. A similar thing tends to happen with Cal and UCLA undergrad students.

koercive, call them, and tell you you need your pin to accept your interview.

Er. Your PIN is your PharmCAS ID. Or was mine just coincidentally that? I wouldn't call them because you are on vacation. Up to you though. They seemed to be very stringent on the calls.

Er. Your PIN is your PharmCAS ID. Or was mine just coincidentally that? I wouldn't call them because you are on vacation. Up to you though. They seemed to be very stringent on the calls.

Yeah, the PIN is your PharmCAS ID.

Jesus, I must have had a temporary brain freeze. You are right.

"You must reply no later than 2 weeks from the date of your interview invitation letter or your application will be canceled and you will be ineligible to be considered for fall 2009 admission."

does this mean 2 weeks before my interview date or 2 weeks after the postmark date? i received my letter late, and i hope i'm not considered "late" if i turn it in now

was everyone's letter postmarked 12/19 ?

Last edited:
"You must reply no later than 2 weeks from the date of your interview invitation letter or your application will be canceled and you will be ineligible to be considered for fall 2009 admission."

does this mean 2 weeks before my interview date or 2 weeks after the postmark date? i received my letter late, and i hope i'm not considered "late" if i turn it in now

I understood it as if date letter was postmarked + 2 weeks.

was everyone's letter postmarked 12/19 ?
that would mean 2 weeks from 12/19 (date of interview invite letter).
i would still reply and call them tomorrow to explain the delay.
they could actually mean 14 business days!

Directions are in your letter. Why call and display your inability to follow directions? If you know you got an interview, then someone has seen the letter and can provide you with instructions, right? Right. :confused:
what is your interview date futurepharmer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my linterview etter on Christmas eve and broke down in tears. Ahhh! I can't wait...but I am so scared!

Interviews Scheduled: Creighton, UCSF
Rejection: UCSD :(

Burlingame is a few like 20-25 minutes outside of SF. I live in SF, I would probably stay in SF but Vallejo is 45 minutes away from SF too. Sorry, I am probably just confusing you! But congrats and good luck!

thanks for your help,

i hope i wasn't considered late because i didn't receive my letter until jan 1st (postmarked dec 25th- date on letter 12/19). i'm kinda tripping out :scared:

thanks for your help,

i hope i wasn't considered late because i didn't receive my letter until jan 1st (postmarked dec 25th- date on letter 12/19). i'm kinda tripping out :scared:

Did the system let you confirm the interview date? I was two days late from the date on the letter and I could still get into the system and confirm my interview. I was not sure if they meant calendar days or business days. I am thinking of calling them this week to confrim that my lateness was not an issue.

For those of you interviewing on 1/30/09, have you received
additional confirmation email after the online RSVP?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Alice,

To answer your question: Yes, I received a confirmation email right after I confirmed my interview appointment for the 30th of January.

Does anybody know how long the interview takes approximately? I'm scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on a Friday--the Friday before Valentine's for that matter :love:(not sure if that is too big of a holiday for travel).

I would like to fly back to SD that same evening, but I am trying to estimate what time I would get to the airport. If I take the latest flight that evening by SWA then I would need to be at the airporat at least by 6:30 or 7:00.

Hey mitchy07. My interview is also scheduled on the same day, Feb. 13th only earlier in the day. My invite says to expect to be on campus approx. 5 hours beyond my scheduled time...but I'm not sure how that would work with a later appt. like yours. Anyhow, just excited to find someone interviewing on the same day. Good luck :)

Hey mitchy07. My interview is also scheduled on the same day, Feb. 13th only earlier in the day. My invite says to expect to be on campus approx. 5 hours beyond my scheduled time...but I'm not sure how that would work with a later appt. like yours. Anyhow, just excited to find someone interviewing on the same day. Good luck

whatever happens, don't mention SDN in front of Joel Gonzalez. I have a prediction for the interviews. He will start off by indirectly implying how pointless and silly forums (specifically SDN:eek:) are - spreading fear throughout the student body - and "UCSF" thread responses will decrease in frequency:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Last edited:
Hey mitchy07. My interview is also scheduled on the same day, Feb. 13th only earlier in the day. My invite says to expect to be on campus approx. 5 hours beyond my scheduled time...but I'm not sure how that would work with a later appt. like yours. Anyhow, just excited to find someone interviewing on the same day. Good luck :)

Yeah I saw that on my invite, and I was kind of thinking the interview probably won't last past 5 p.m. I'm sure nobody wants to stay on campus until 7:30 on a Friday, esp. faculty members that have families to go home to.

Hmm....maybe I'll just stay until Saturday just in case--perhaps enjoy a night on the town (all by myself, haha:D). Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out. Thanks and good luck to you too!

Last year I had one of the 11:30am interview slots and I believe everything ended around 3:30-4:00pm. And that's before the tour... which is really an optional tour by current students.

That's for the 11:30am slot so I'm not sure how late the 2nd interview will last!

I'll be interviewing Feb 12th! See everyone there and Good luck!

I called. I guess it will last until 7:30:laugh:. Sounds hard core.

Wow. 275 people interviewing for a class of 120 or so thats gives someone approximately a 1 in 3 chance that is very good. Congrats to everyone that got an interview :) and Good luck!

it's closer to 1 in 2!

Does anybody know how long the interview takes approximately? I'm scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on a Friday--the Friday before Valentine's for that matter :love:(not sure if that is too big of a holiday for travel).

I would like to fly back to SD that same evening, but I am trying to estimate what time I would get to the airport. If I take the latest flight that evening by SWA then I would need to be at the airporat at least by 6:30 or 7:00.

The interview--if it goes well--takes about 50 to 55 minutes.

Last year, they split each interview session into two groups, but plan on being there for at least 3 hours (one hour for the intro, one hour for the interview, then another hour for the writing sample). You can do the tour if you really want to, but if you get in, you'll get to know the campus very well...

I actually interview on the 12th--good luck to you! :)

Wow. 275 people interviewing for a class of 120 or so thats gives someone approximately a 1 in 3 chance that is very good. Congrats to everyone that got an interview :) and Good luck!

Even though its close to 50:50 chance of being accepted but the people you are competing against are also tougher. I guess it depends on how you answer your interview questions and the essay itself. I got an interview this coming friday Jan 30th... feeling so nervous now. The type of questions they ask is so random it makes me feel even worse. GL everyone! This interview is definitely the most difficult one!

Even though its close to 50:50 chance of being accepted but the people you are competing against are also tougher. I guess it depends on how you answer your interview questions and the essay itself. I got an interview this coming friday Jan 30th... feeling so nervous now. The type of questions they ask is so random it makes me feel even worse. GL everyone! This interview is definitely the most difficult one!
you definitely are competing against the very best on 1/30. who else thinks ucsf scheduled the strongest candidates for this day- or can it really be alphabetical? :)

I interviewed at ucsf last year and I remember thinking why would it take 5 hr for an interview?...so I scheduled my flight for around 7 or 8. I had the afternoon interview slot (2pm?), but my actual interview was scheduled at 5pm and took an hour. I literally ran out of the building at 6pm so I could catch my shuttle :scared::thumbup: And going to SF, my flight was delayed almost 2 hours ( flying from LA) due to fog. So my word of advice: give yourself plenty of time to get to and from the interview! Getting to places on time is the last thing you want to be worrying about on the day of your inteview! Good luck to you guys!!

Here's what it says on their website blog:
http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/
Expectation: Your interview "day" should last about 5 hours (welcome session, essay, interview, chat room, financial aid session, tour).
Preparation: Make travel arrangements to accommodate the time frame you've been provided. Expect to be on campus for the entire period of time. Rushing in for your interview and rushing out says a lot about your desire to be a part of our community.

I agree that these are the best people out of all that applied. Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend :) Hopefully they see that everyone is so qualified and that they accept all 275 :) that would be nice :laugh:

you definitely are competing against the very best on 1/30. who else thinks ucsf scheduled the strongest candidates for this day- or can it really be alphabetical? :)

awwww don't feel that way. Last year, people interviewed by location. Those up in norcal interviewed during the first couple of interview dates, out of state students were mixed in, while those from socal tended to be the last ones to interview. Just be yourself and know your application well because that's where most of your interview questions come from. Also, as stated, the day is long so make sure you have meal before your interview. There isn't really time to eat, maybe pack a granola bar. Everyone is super nice at UCSF and I'm not just being bias because I go there....lol

Good luck to everyone! All of us are excited to see those coming friday!

I interviewed last year in the afternoon slot and didn't leave until 7 PM. I figured that after driving 360 miles, a campus tour wouldn't hurt. Good luck on Friday!

awwww don't feel that way. Last year, people interviewed by location. Those up in norcal interviewed during the first couple of interview dates, out of state students were mixed in, while those from socal tended to be the last ones to interview. Just be yourself and know your application well because that's where most of your interview questions come from. Also, as stated, the day is long so make sure you have meal before your interview. There isn't really time to eat, maybe pack a granola bar. Everyone is super nice at UCSF and I'm not just being bias because I go there....lol

Good luck to everyone! All of us are excited to see those coming friday!

Actually how it works is that people from the Bay get interviewed on Thursday, then SoCal people Friday, then out of state people on Saturday--at least that's how it was told to me during the workshop last year. I think it's staying true to form this year since my interview's again on a Thursday, and I'm not interviewing till the 12th.

Don't read too much into when you're interviewing--it's not like it's a "rolling admissions" thing and they'll stop interviewing people if they realize that the best 122 were the first 122 interviewed! If that were the case, I definitely should've interviewed the last weekend (Feb 19th, I think)--and a friend of mine whose GPA and other stats were way better than mine should've interviewed now, but he's not interviewing till the 19th.

Actually how it works is that people from the Bay get interviewed on Thursday, then SoCal people Friday, then out of state people on Saturday--at least that's how it was told to me during the workshop last year. I think it's staying true to form this year since my interview's again on a Thursday, and I'm not interviewing till the 12th.

Don't read too much into when you're interviewing--it's not like it's a "rolling admissions" thing and they'll stop interviewing people if they realize that the best 122 were the first 122 interviewed! If that were the case, I definitely should've interviewed the last weekend (Feb 19th, I think)--and a friend of mine whose GPA and other stats were way better than mine should've interviewed now, but he's not interviewing till the 19th.

Seems to be the pattern for the last 5 interview days; first day is.however a hodgepodge :)

i am in the east bay and i'm being interviewed saturday at the crack of dawn! 8:30am... :sleep:

i am in the east bay and i'm being interviewed saturday at the crack of dawn! 8:30am... :sleep:

I'm from So Cal and also interviewing Sat. at 8:30 am.

I'm driving up and plan on just parking at the UCSF parking structure.

Last edited:
Interview day was loooong!!! Make sure you eat a good breakfast before! :eek:

It went well I think. Just super long. My tumbly was rumbly by the end--but I think everyone else's was too. It's torture I tell you! They should have fed us more! :p (Or maybe I just eat a lot because they did give us some food). I think there were a lot of very qualified applicants. I recognized a lot of people from other interviews I had had. Overall I think competition was definitely tough but the interview itself was not too bad.

Just have to wait and see now...:xf:

How about you CafeMed?

I'm from So Cal and also interviewing Sat. at 8:30 am.

I'm driving up and plan on just parking at the UCSF parking structure.
What time will you have to leave so cal to get there by 830 am? I guess there will be no traffic in the middle of the night, but won't you be tired during interview? And sad but rain is in the forecast.

For those who interviewed on Fri, how did you guys think of the writing test?
Can I ask what topic(s) were your writing test about? Thanks!!

It went well I think. Just super long. My tumbly was rumbly by the end--but I think everyone else's was too. It's torture I tell you! They should have fed us more! :p (Or maybe I just eat a lot because they did give us some food). I think there were a lot of very qualified applicants. I recognized a lot of people from other interviews I had had. Overall I think competition was definitely tough but the interview itself was not too bad.

Just have to wait and see now...:xf:

How about you CafeMed?

Actually, I haven't interviewed yet. I'll be sure to eat a big breakfast beforehand! Glad to hear your interview went well and wasn't too stressful.

What time will you have to leave so cal to get there by 830 am? I guess there will be no traffic in the middle of the night, but won't you be tired during interview? And sad but rain is in the forecast.

Oh, to clarify, I'm driving up Fri. and spending the night. I'd imagine if I wasn't going to spend the night that I'd have to leave so cal at 2:30 am or so. Yeah, I'm sad about the rain. I was hoping for a good hair day too, oh well. :(

Hello,

This may sound like a redundant question, and someone may have answered it before but I could not find any posts concerning it so I hope you guys don't mind me asking again.

Regarding the interview essay, will there be multiple topics to choose from? I know that some schools provide you an article to read and then ask you to write an essay, does UCSF do that? Is it just one essay? If there are multiple questions to choose from, will some be non-pharmacy related?

UCSF interview is my first for pharm schools so I really don't know what it's like.

Thanks a lot.