UCSF (IS) vs. UPenn vs. UCLA (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

green.nature97

Reaction score
Hi! I am super grateful to be having this issue but it's also pretty stressful...I am applying to HPSP so in the case that I receive the scholarship I would not have to worry about tuition. I am unsure if I want to specialize or not, but I wanted to take the time in dental school to see if I am interested in any specialty so I am very open-minded about it. I am also from norcal. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

UCSF
Pros:
  • close to home (can probably go home on weekends if I want)
  • I know a lot of current students there
  • class culture seems pretty collaborative and supportive after talking to current students
  • Mix of students who decide to specialize or do general
  • P/NP
  • 3 wk externship at community clinic (seems like a great way to get good clinical experience)
  • SF would be a fun place to live
  • easy to find patients
Cons:
  • EXPENSIVE rent - don't wanna be living like a hobo :(
  • older facilities
  • urban campus - not sure how I feel about the school not having a cohesive campus
  • no new living experience - stuck in the CA bubble after living here all my life
UPenn
Pros:
  • Amazing facilities, new technology
  • cheaper living
  • start assisting in clinic during first year
  • cohesive campus
  • have heard the curriculum prepares students very well for boards
  • 3 exams every 3 weeks rule
  • Selectives program
  • opportunity to get out of the CA bubble and experience living somewhere new
  • easy to find patients
  • opportunity to learn alot about each specialty more so than other schools maybe (from what I have heard from current student)
Cons:
  • GRADED
  • far from home
  • weather - don't really know what it's like to have seasons after living in CA all my life LOL
  • possibly competitive environment? (current Penn students pls correct me if this is wrong)
  • only 2 wk externship - can choose to go to specialty clinic or gpr/aegd and mainly working with resident rather than working as a dentist full time (again current Penn students correct me if I'm wrong)
  • big specialty school - can be good or bad but I'm not sure I want to specialize yet..
UCLA
Pros:
  • has a great name (not that the other ones don't though...)
  • 4 wk externship similar to UCSF - great way to get clinical experience
  • P/NP
  • great weather, LA seems like a fun city to live in
Cons:
  • old facilities
  • hard to find patients
  • emphasize didactics a lot more
  • expensive rent (not as expensive as SF though)
  • big specialty school
  • LA traffic lol
Summary:
As of now, I am mainly debating between UCSF and Penn but I don't want to completely eliminate UCLA yet. The main factor between UCSF and Penn is location. I'm not sure if I should stay near home (UCSF) as that would be very convenient since I have my family and friends nearby in case anything happens (and they can potentially be my patients too lol). Although I enjoy SF, the rent is ridiculous though. I am also tempted by UPenn because it would give me the opportunity to escape the CA bubble and live in the east coast but it can also be pretty daunting moving so far. the rent is soo much cheaper than SF though! But tbh I did not have the chance to explore the Philly while interviewing so I truly don't know what it'll be like living there. I have heard it is a mellow city, has good food, and very historical. I also like how it is pretty close to New York. anyone living in Philly pls let me know how it is!
Another factor is if I want to specialize or not. After reading these threads, I would predict that a lot of repliers would say "Go to Penn or UCLA if you want to specialize" but I don't know if I want to! I feel as though I would want a school that produces well rounded dentists whether someone decides to specialize or not. I have heard from current students that both UCSF and UPenn produce well rounded and clinically prepared dentists.

Sorry this is so long! Just wanted to put out all my thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I am super grateful to be having this issue but it's also pretty stressful...I am applying to HPSP so in the case that I receive the scholarship I would not have to worry about tuition. I am unsure if I want to specialize or not, but I wanted to take the time in dental school to see if I am interested in any specialty so I am very open-minded about it. I am also from norcal. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

UCSF
Pros:
  • close to home (can probably go home on weekends if I want)
  • I know a lot of current students there
  • class culture seems pretty collaborative and supportive after talking to current students
  • Mix of students who decide to specialize or do general
  • P/NP
  • 3 wk externship at community clinic (seems like a great way to get good clinical experience)
  • SF would be a fun place to live
  • easy to find patients
Cons:
  • EXPENSIVE rent - don't wanna be living like a hobo :(
  • older facilities
  • urban campus - not sure how I feel about the school not having a cohesive campus
  • no new living experience - stuck in the CA bubble after living here all my life
UPenn
Pros:
  • Amazing facilities, new technology
  • cheaper living
  • start assisting in clinic during first year
  • cohesive campus
  • have heard the curriculum prepares students very well for boards
  • 3 exams every 3 weeks rule
  • Selectives program
  • opportunity to get out of the CA bubble and experience living somewhere new
  • easy to find patients
  • opportunity to learn alot about each specialty more so than other schools maybe (from what I have heard from current student)
Cons:
  • GRADED
  • far from home
  • weather - don't really know what it's like to have seasons after living in CA all my life LOL
  • possibly competitive environment? (current Penn students pls correct me if this is wrong)
  • only 2 wk externship - can choose to go to specialty clinic or gpr/aegd and mainly working with resident rather than working as a dentist full time (again current Penn students correct me if I'm wrong)
  • big specialty school - can be good or bad but I'm not sure I want to specialize yet..
UCLA
Pros:
  • has a great name (not that the other ones don't though...)
  • 4 wk externship similar to UCSF - great way to get clinical experience
  • P/NP
  • great weather, LA seems like a fun city to live in
Cons:
  • old facilities
  • hard to find patients
  • emphasize didactics a lot more
  • expensive rent (not as expensive as SF though)
  • big specialty school
  • LA traffic lol
Summary:
As of now, I am mainly debating between UCSF and Penn but I don't want to completely eliminate UCLA yet. The main factor between UCSF and Penn is location. I'm not sure if I should stay near home (UCSF) as that would be very convenient since I have my family and friends nearby in case anything happens (and they can potentially be my patients too lol). Although I enjoy SF, the rent is ridiculous though. I am also tempted by UPenn because it would give me the opportunity to escape the CA bubble and live in the east coast but it can also be pretty daunting moving so far. the rent is soo much cheaper than SF though! But tbh I did not have the chance to explore the Philly while interviewing so I truly don't know what it'll be like living there. I have heard it is a mellow city, has good food, and very historical. I also like how it is pretty close to New York. anyone living in Philly pls let me know how it is!
Another factor is if I want to specialize or not. After reading these threads, I would predict that a lot of repliers would say "Go to Penn or UCLA if you want to specialize" but I don't know if I want to! I feel as though I would want a school that produces well rounded dentists whether someone decides to specialize or not. I have heard from current students that both UCSF and UPenn produce well rounded and clinically prepared dentists.

Sorry this is so long! Just wanted to put out all my thoughts :)

cheapest

I'm biased so I wont comment on UCSF (D3) and just share some tips on other schools so you can make a better decision. I'd look more into UCLA's rep of difficulty finding patients. I've heard that they've done a lot the past few years to improve this. I personally left the east coast (been there all my life) to the west coast and it's been an amazing experience being a part of a whole new vibe and experiences, and a part of me feels like I'm going to settle down in the east coast so I wanted to spend my "youth" to gain new experiences, but being close to home is never a bad thing either. I know a few Penn students and they love the city and despite the presence of gunners, they have said that bc they know who the gunners are people just tend to avoid them and overall class isn't influenced by the few gunners; they help each other and share notes and study guides, just like at most dental schools, as many realize the best way to be happy in dental school is to go through it together. You have excellent choices though, and you can't go wrong with any of them. It really depends what kind of experience you want for the next four years, and I think you'll find joy wherever you go.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm biased so I wont comment on UCSF (D3) and just share some tips on other schools so you can make a better decision. I'd look more into UCLA's rep of difficulty finding patients. I've heard that they've done a lot the past few years to improve this. I personally left the east coast (been there all my life) to the west coast and it's been an amazing experience being a part of a whole new vibe and experiences, and a part of me feels like I'm going to settle down in the east coast so I wanted to spend my "youth" to gain new experiences, but being close to home is never a bad thing either. I know a few Penn students and they love the city and despite the presence of gunners, they have said that bc they know who the gunners are people just tend to avoid them and overall class isn't influenced by the few gunners; they help each other and share notes and study guides, just like at most dental schools, as many realize the best way to be happy in dental school is to go through it together. You have excellent choices though, and you can't go wrong with any of them. It really depends what kind of experience you want for the next four years, and I think you'll find joy wherever you go.
Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad :)