UCSF Reloaded-- Anyone excited? Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone!

Good luck, I'm still waiting too, but I don't think anyone's heard from a late January interview, is that right? I'm hoping not so I've still got a shot in April...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I work for the Chief of the Genetics branch at the National Cancer Institute (Vandy-alum, MD/PhD Pediatric Oncologist). I feel so ******ed telling him that I haven't gotten in anywhere yet.. =(

Come on April!

I work for the Chief of the Genetics branch at the National Cancer Institute (Vandy-alum, MD/PhD Pediatric Oncologist). I feel so ******ed telling him that I haven't gotten in anywhere yet.. =(

Come on April!

Like I told Ltrain, I feel your pain.

I hope UCSF stops teasing us and asks us to join the club :)

on another note---- a coworker just got a full ride to a top ten and has at least five other acceptances so I definitely know how you feel.

We just have to keep hoping for April!!!!:luck: :luck: :luck: :) :) :) :D :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey etsuprinthead, I also interviewed at JMP and applied to PRIME there (as well as at UCSF). So they called you a couple of weeks after your interview? Even before you heard about your acceptance? Thanks for any info :) .

i didn't submit my PRIME application until a couple of weeks after my interview, and they called a couple of weeks after that to interview. when mary rita called to accept me to JMP, she said someone had already been trying to get ahold of me about PRIME, but i didn't have any voice mails, so i don't know about that; i didn't actually TALK to anyone at PRIME until after i was accepted. so, the short answer is, i don't know if they interview for PRIME before you get accepted to the school.

anyway, i doubt i'm much competition for PRIME -- the lady i talked to sounded really doubtful that i was in fact interested in urban health -- i'm a rural applicant, so they think i'll be coming back to a rural area to practice. maybe they're right, i dunno.

maybe i should have already picked this up, but what's your status at JMP?

i didn't submit my PRIME application until a couple of weeks after my interview, and they called a couple of weeks after that to interview. when mary rita called to accept me to JMP, she said someone had already been trying to get ahold of me about PRIME, but i didn't have any voice mails, so i don't know about that; i didn't actually TALK to anyone at PRIME until after i was accepted. so, the short answer is, i don't know if they interview for PRIME before you get accepted to the school.

anyway, i doubt i'm much competition for PRIME -- the lady i talked to sounded really doubtful that i was in fact interested in urban health -- i'm a rural applicant, so they think i'll be coming back to a rural area to practice. maybe they're right, i dunno.

maybe i should have already picked this up, but what's your status at JMP?

Thanks for the info! I submitted my PRIME app on the day of my application so my PRIME interview went hand in hand with my actual interview. I thought there was another one or something but since you turned in your PRIME app after your interview, that makes sense *whew*.

I interviewed at both JMP and UCSF at the end of February so I'm still waiting for post-interview responses. I know I probably won't hear from UCSF until mid-April at earliest, but I'm hoping I'll hear from JMP sooner than that. :scared:

BTW, good luck to everyone waiting!!

Anyone know when rejections/waitlists go out this month?

Thanks for the info! I submitted my PRIME app on the day of my application so my PRIME interview went hand in hand with my actual interview. I thought there was another one or something but since you turned in your PRIME app after your interview, that makes sense

I interviewed at both JMP and UCSF at the end of February so I'm still waiting for post-interview responses. I know I probably won't hear from UCSF until mid-April at earliest, but I'm hoping I'll hear from JMP sooner than that. :scared:

When I interviewed at the JMP, I was told that PRIME applicants could either try to get a hold of the director on the interview day (which I did) or else schedule a phone interview later on, when submitting an application (which I'm not).

I was also told that the JMP admissions group meets infrequently, and that I shouldn't expect to hear before mid-April! Anyone have better data on admissions decisions? It'll be tricky to move my wife's life and my own to the East Bay on 6 weeks notice. But doable -- man, the PBL was impressive.

I'm moving to Berkeley in June, and I'm trying to decide on housing and vehicle arrangements. I'm leaning toward leaving my car at home to save money (I can put my insurance on hold and thereby save $1000/year), but I am afraid that I'll want the chance to get out of the Bay area to do outdoor stuff (not that I'll have much time, but I am from podunk-ville, TN, and I'm not sure I can stand NEVER getting out of the city). Also, I'm pretty sure my car ('97 explorer) wouldn't meet emissions standards -- are OOS students subject to those rules, or just CA residents? Hmmm... hard decisions...

I'm leaning toward leaving my car at home to save money (I can put my insurance on hold and thereby save $1000/year), but I am afraid that I'll want the chance to get out of the Bay area to do outdoor stuff
If you leave the car at home, you can rent one for about 10 weekends on what you'll save in insurance alone. Also, in much of the Bay Area, Berkeley included, having a car really limits housing options if you want to be within walking distance to campus (a good idea).
Also, I'm pretty sure my car ('97 explorer) wouldn't meet emissions standards -- are OOS students subject to those rules, or just CA residents?
If you register you car in California (which you'd have to, eventually), it needs to meet smog check. I believe that the only cars exempt from smog certs are old classics. Your '97 Explorer, while loved, probably wouldn't qualify.

By the way, if you're an outdoors-lover, etsuprinthead, you'll love northern california. Lots of options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I submitted my PRIME app on the day of my application so my PRIME interview went hand in hand with my actual interview. I thought there was another one or something but since you turned in your PRIME app after your interview, that makes sense *whew*.

BTW, good luck to everyone waiting!!

I think I got my JMP decision (rejection) about a month after my UCSF decision (HP waitlist), so I wouldn't be too eager to hear from the JMP first. Best of luck though!

Still waiting to come off the HP list in So Cal. No mail from UCSF so far. Three cheers to those who interviewed in Dec (12/3 for me) and are still hanging strong ;) . Gluck to everyone still waiting and congrats to those accepted :D .

Nothing new here....I'm thinking next week will be the next set of letters (waitlists/rejections). :scared:

Anyways in my mindless state of waiting- I was just wondering if anyone who interviewed after Jan 15th has heard ANYTHING from the admissions office?

It almost April....UCSF is the last school I'm waiting on, so it makes it sooooo much harder.

Good Lcuk to everyone. I feel the pain :luck:

Photogirl. I interview 1/16 and was rejected. I think the letter was dated 2/27 or 2/28.

Hey everyone, PRIME does interview over the phone. I sent in the PRIME application much later after my secondary application, and I just had my two phone interviews during the past 2 weeks. One was with a faculty interviewer, and the other was with a current student/member of PRIME.

:luck: to everyone still waiting to hear! I'll hopefully see you all at second look weekend!

I interview 1/16 and was rejected. I think the letter was dated 2/27 or 2/28.
We actually interviewed on the same day, Silverfox. Sorry to hear you were rejected. I don't know who you were, but everyone in our group seemed very nice. Hope you hear good news soon from UCLA...

UCSF said another round of waitlists/rejections likely to be sent on Monday.

Now, I hope NOT to hear anything. ;)

If you guys receive anything, I hope its a HP and not the other option.. Lots of people come off the WL and a WL acceptance is just as good as an outright acceptance. =) GL to everyone! I'm pulling for you guys. :) :luck:

By the way, if you're an outdoors-lover, etsuprinthead, you'll love northern california. Lots of options.

thanks for the info. i'm leaning toward leaving the car at home, at least until i come back to TN again at christmas.

If you guys receive anything, I hope its a HP and not the other option.. Lots of people come off the WL and a WL acceptance is just as good as an outright acceptance.
Actually, KaraKiz, you'd know this: do they use the term "high priority waitlist" in the letter? My wife hits the mailbox like a pitbull while I'm at work and I if I get a waitlist letter I want to make sure I don't keep screaming at her over the phone to determine if it's high priority waitlist or just a vanilla waitlist.

Actually, KaraKiz, you'd know this: do they use the term "high priority waitlist" in the letter? My wife hits the mailbox like a pitbull while I'm at work and I if I get a waitlist letter I want to make sure I don't keep screaming at her over the phone to determine if it's high priority waitlist or just a vanilla waitlist.

Oh definately - they say you are on the high priority wait list and that you will find out about your status in late April. they also say please don't call before then, we won't know anything further, etc.

i'm leaning toward leaving the car at home, at least until i come back to TN again at christmas.
That makes a lot of sense. Then just drive it back if you find you need it.

By the way, be sure to check out Cal Adventures while you're in Berkeley (beware the private company named Cal Adventures). They run UC Berkeley's outdoors programs. They have a lot of very cool trips and training that will help you get to know the outdoor area and it's a nice social network of likeminded folks.

Oh definately - they say you are on the high priority wait list and that you will find out about your status in late April. they also say please don't call before then, we won't know anything further, etc.
Good stuff. Glad it's clear. I'm easily confused. Cheers...

<whine> Mooonday??? </whine>

I truly do not understand why they insist on dragging out the not-knowing-your-status for half of each month.

(Thanks for calling and posting, Mrs S.)

I truly do not understand why they insist on dragging out the not-knowing-your-status for half of each month.
The way they do it is ideal. This way you can wreck your body with the stress of anticipation of a possible acceptance from about the 12th-27th and then wreck you body with the stress of dread of a possible rejection from about the 28th-11th.

The stress is like a friend. An annoying, irritating, sleep-hampering friend...

The way they do it is ideal. This way you can wreck your body with the stress of anticipation of a possible acceptance from about the 12th-27th and then wreck you body with the stress of dread of a possible rejection from about the 28th-11th.

The stress is like a friend. An annoying, irritating, sleep-hampering friend...

I see your point. I have to admit, it was fun in January. The stress was like a friend. I was so excited! It was a little less fun in February, but I think maybe I was just a little sleepy in Feb. Now March has gone by and it is--if you can believe this--even less fun than February! I'm tired. My body is wrecked already. I just want my freaking decision.

Luckily, I have a sneaking suspicion that I will make it through the end of next week to receive it.

I see your point. I have to admit, it was fun in January. The stress was like a friend. I was so excited! It was a little less fun in February, but I think maybe I was just a little sleepy in Feb. Now March has gone by and it is--if you can believe this--even less fun than February! I'm tired. My body is wrecked already. I just want my freaking decision.

Luckily, I have a sneaking suspicion that I will make it through the end of next week to receive it.

I hope you are waiting a big longer than till the end of next week!!
----it definitely has been a hard month of waiting for the UCSF thread folks....here's to April being more positive for everyone here:) :luck: :luck:

Nothing new here....I'm thinking next week will be the next set of letters (waitlists/rejections). :scared:

Anyways in my mindless state of waiting- I was just wondering if anyone who interviewed after Jan 15th has heard ANYTHING from the admissions office?

It almost April....UCSF is the last school I'm waiting on, so it makes it sooooo much harder.

Good Lcuk to everyone. I feel the pain :luck:

PG-

I interviewed around JAN 20-25 (cant quite remember) and have heard nothing yet.:(

Although I hope I hear nothing next week also (Dont want any rejection/wailist:p)

I am pretty sure though we will have to wait until april to find out which sux because it is my last school I am waiting on and also my top choice.:luck:

hi everyone,

this is my first post on the blog & i'm in a similar situation to many of you...late january interview, still waiting to hear back.

there is a light at the end of the tunnel! i talked to a couple folks in the admissions office today, and now that UCSF is done interviewing applicants, all remaining decisions should be mailed out in the next 1-2 weeks. that goes for acceptances, HP waitlists, and rejections.

basically that still means we'll be hearing in april, but hopefully things will be speeding up a bit from here on out. wishing you all well!

i talked to a couple folks in the admissions office today, and now that UCSF is done interviewing applicants, all remaining decisions should be mailed out in the next 1-2 weeks. that goes for acceptances, HP waitlists, and rejections.
Given that a majority of January applicants have still not heard back, I'm very suprised to find that UCSF is going to rifle through all January/February/March applicants in 1-2 weeks.

Has anyone else heard this? Nothing personal, CAorBUST; I'm sure you're reliable, I just don't know you...

Given that a majority of January applicants have still not heard back, I'm very suprised to find that UCSF is going to rifle through all January/February/March applicants in 1-2 weeks.

Has anyone else heard this?

This would be very surprising indeed!

CAorbust, i think you are right- I interviewed on the last day (in the first week of March) and I have been calling the office to see when we would hear back. At first I got the standard more than 8 week response but when I pointed out that that would be in May the woman admitted that I should hear in the next two weeks = mid april. Since we were last I would assume that everyone else should hear before then, right?

I think we can all agree that the next decisions should be mailed next week and the week after. The question is, will this strictly be HP and rejections or will it be all decisions. :)

Q: for HP folks, when do you expect to hear back (regarding a final decision)? Is it end April or end of May? If final decisions about HP are made in late April, wouldn't it just be better for UCSF to hold off mailing HP and mail final decisions?

Ahh...the mindless waiting...

Doctor P- I'm waiting for a last decision just like you. Makes it soo much harder :sleep:

GOOD LUCK! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Has anyone else heard this? Nothing personal, CAorBUST; I'm sure you're reliable, I just don't know you...
notdeadyet, i understand your skepticism. i also hate getting my hopes up! but i'm pretty sure that this it what i was told, that we can all hope to hear about acceptances/waitlists/rejections in the next two weeks.

though it seems doubtable that UCSF could get through all the jan, feb, and march interviewees in that time frame, i imagine that decisions have already been made on most of them. i know that comparably competitive schools such as harvard, penn, and columbia have released their admissions decisions, so for many applicants with multiple acceptances, a few spots at UCSF could open up as folks withdraw. point being that it makes sense for UCSF to wait on sending out decisions, in order to maximize the percentage of acceptees that matriculate.

well i clearly have not been spending any time obsessing about this :oops:

Hey all! This is my first post, but I've been following the thread.... My news is that I just received an HP in the mail yesterday...

Interviewed: 1/18
HP: 3/29

The letter mentions that I'll find out "more difinitive information" by late April. Hope this information helps to all those waiting...I'm still hoping for UCSF....

Hey all! This is my first post, but I've been following the thread.... My news is that I just received an HP in the mail yesterday...

The letter mentions that I'll find out "more difinitive information" by late April. Hope this information helps to all those waiting...I'm still hoping for UCSF....

Congrats on the HP, and good luck with it! Mind sharing where you are geographically?

Congrats on the HP, and good luck with it! Mind sharing where you are geographically?
Hopefully it is socal....then that would mean I shouldnt be getting one!:p

haha...I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad. I'm just grateful that I didn't get a rejection letter (yet). BTW, I'm from CA...east bay.

notdeadyet, i understand your skepticism. i also hate getting my hopes up!
Yeah, that's pretty much the size of it. I've made that trip to the mailbox too many times.

If folks start posting outright acceptances next week, we'll know you're right. Finger's crossed...

haha...I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad.
Be happy. An HP is no joke. There has already been movement on this list and probably will be quite a bit more in the coming weeks. Congratulations....

Be happy. An HP is no joke. There has already been movement on this list and probably will be quite a bit more in the coming weeks. Congratulations....

Thanks for the encouragement...my fingers are definitely crossed. For all those waiting, I hope you all hear positive things sometime soon!

My news is that I just received an HP in the mail yesterday...

Wow, I didn't expect to hear anything else until next week. I think you should be positive about the HP, so congrats on escaping the big R so far.

I'm glad I am on the HP WL, but I still don't like waiting.. :p

Is there a regular waitlist? I'm fairly confused as to what the high-priority list means and how many people are on it! I just got one today...

Is there a regular waitlist? I'm fairly confused as to what the high-priority list means and how many people are on it! I just got one today...

I got put in the "High priority positon" group back in February (late October interview). My understanding is that at this point, everyone is either (a) accepted; (b) High Prioritied (yay - new word! :) ); or (c) rejected. The High Priority will then turn into an acceptance or a more clarified position on the waitlist come late April (from the letter) or early May (based on people's posts from last year).

So, high priority is better than a waitlist right now because it could turn into an acceptance next month (and actually already did for some people this cycle, about a month ago I think). However, it could also turn into a high, medium, or low waitlist.

I am hoping for the former. :D Good luck! :luck:

I got put in the "High priority positon" group back in February (late October interview). My understanding is that at this point, everyone is either (a) accepted; (b) High Prioritied (yay - new word! :) ); or (c) rejected. The High Priority will then turn into an acceptance or a more clarified position on the waitlist come late April (from the letter) or early May (based on people's posts from last year).

So, high priority is better than a waitlist right now because it could turn into an acceptance next month (and actually already did for some people this cycle, about a month ago I think). However, it could also turn into a high, medium, or low waitlist.

I am hoping for the former. :D Good luck! :luck:

Thanks Babel. Good luck to you!

Got a HP waitlist in SOCAL today.:( (int late jan).

Oh well I guess I am not good enough for them.