UCSF Reloaded-- Anyone excited? Part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys:

Back in town for a day and gone again tomorrow. Ugh. Just wanted to say hang in there to Babel and Doc Plastic (and I don't have time to read the entire thread right now, so sorry if I missed some other good or bad news).

It wasn't a rejection... so there is hope! I know it is a bitter pill right now- but things can change at any time.

Keep us up to date and I'll see you all next week.

SF

Members don't see this ad.

nothing here in NorCal...Guess I'll be hearing next week. **fingers crossed**

Good Luck to everyone. As it has been echoed, HP is a great place to stand....a little bit more waiting. :luck: :luck:

Sheesh, talk about surprises! There goes waiting for mail next week with regards to the HP/Rej!

As SF said, hang in there you guys! There's still movement that's going to happen. I hope you all get in so we could meet each other at second look. At least we know that all the interviews are done, so they'll have to look at all the candidates at some point(hopefully sooner rather than later :rolleyes: )

Good luck!!!

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
nothing here in NorCal...Guess I'll be hearing next week. **fingers crossed**
Nothing here either in SF. Oi. More waiting...

Hang in there, HP-folks. You're legion.

Hello/goodbye, SF. Safe travel...

Nothing in Boston. We got absolutely nothing in the mail today, and our mail is always here by 11. Makes me wonder if someone hijacked my mailman...

Hey guys. I am Hp list and i was wondering if i should send my past quarter grades? Here they are please tell me if I should send them or if it will hurt me if i send them. Be totally honest please!

Yes I know they are not so great, it is because I just graduated so it was my last quarter and I already got some good acceptaces so I was kind of lazy. I am most worried about the B in biochem, what yall think?

Hey guys. I am Hp list and i was wondering if i should send my past quarter grades? Here they are please tell me if I should send them or if it will hurt me if i send them. Be totally honest please!

winter quarter

Advanced psych and law----B+
Biochem--------------------B
Psych Lab------------------A+
Astronmy 5-----------------P
Bioterroism------------------P

Yes I know they are not so great, it is because I just graduated so it was my last quarter and I already got some good acceptaces so I was kind of lazy. I am most worried about the B in biochem, what yall think?

Honestly, I think you need to change your avatar. I've held my tongue, but I think I'm going to have to do that "ignore" thing to you, where I don't see any of your posts, b/c your avatar is moving, so catches my eye, and then really bugs me. Maybe we live in a day/age where we're supposed to think it's funny to see a cartoon baby falling down the stairs, with it's head bouncing on the steps... maybe I'm supposed to see the humor in it, and that you don't really mean it or something. But frankly, I think it shows bad taste and an immature sense of humor. So yes, I apologize for getting on my soap box for a minute, but just wanted to let you know...

I am Hp list and i was wondering if i should send my past quarter grades?
Take this for what it's worth (i.e.: coming from a guy who hasn't made HP waitlist yet), but I wouldn't send them in right now. My basic rule of thumb is that you should only rush to send in updates that show improvement in your app, or at least stay the course.

Your quarter looks right around a 3.3 (assuming Pysch Lab is 1 or 2 units) and you took two classes P/F. I wouldn't send that in when you're on a waitlist.

Take this for what it's worth (i.e.: coming from a guy who hasn't made HP waitlist yet), but I wouldn't send them in right now. My basic rule of thumb is that you should only rush to send in updates that show improvement in your app, or at least stay the course.

Your quarter looks right around a 3.3 (assuming Pysch Lab is 1 or 2 units) and you took two classes P/F. I wouldn't send that in when you're on a waitlist.
Each class was 4 units. 20 units total. But the main thing was that I had a 4.0 science. So anything lowere than an A in science shows declination.

Honestly, I think you need to change your avatar. I've held my tongue, but I think I'm going to have to do that "ignore" thing to you, where I don't see any of your posts, b/c your avatar is moving, so catches my eye, and then really bugs me. Maybe we live in a day/age where we're supposed to think it's funny to see a cartoon baby falling down the stairs, with it's head bouncing on the steps... maybe I'm supposed to see the humor in it, and that you don't really mean it or something. But frankly, I think it shows bad taste and an immature sense of humor. So yes, I apologize for getting on my soap box for a minute, but just wanted to let you know...
SO sorry your majesty! :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

nothing in my neck of the woods today...

winter quarter

Advanced psych and law----B+
Biochem--------------------B
Psych Lab------------------A+
Astronmy 5-----------------P
Bioterroism------------------P

Hey DoctorPlastic, I don't think you should send your grades--although others may disagree. I would only send in grades if there is an improvement. I'm actually one of those who got off the HP list. I interviewed in early Nov., got my HP letter in early Feb. and somehow got accepted in late Feb. I didn't send in any updates because I didn't have any and my Fall quarter grades weren't that great b/c I missed a lot of school due to interviews. If you have other updates (papers published, a finished thesis, awards, etc.) I would definitely send those. Or, if UCSF is one of your top choices, you can send them a letter of interest/intent. I'm not sure if the admin takes them seriously, but it doesn't hurt. Good luck to you and all others on the HP list! It's not a bad place to be. I hope you HP guys and those waiting to hear back get the big white envelope! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Each class was 4 units. 20 units total.
So that's a 3.43 GPA. I wouldn't send it in until you had to.

bhbh48 has good advice here. And congrats, bhbh48. You give hope to lots of folks on the HP waitlist.

When I see that avatar, I picture a 21-year-old kid who's really into fart jokes. Even then, I may be giving him too much credit. Sometimes there's actually humor in fart jokes.

Hey DoctorPlastic, I don't think you should send your grades--although others may disagree. I would only send in grades if there is an improvement. I'm actually one of those who got off the HP list. I interviewed in early Nov., got my HP letter in early Feb. and somehow got accepted in late Feb. I didn't send in any updates because I didn't have any and my Fall quarter grades weren't that great b/c I missed a lot of school due to interviews. If you have other updates (papers published, a finished thesis, awards, etc.) I would definitely send those. Or, if UCSF is one of your top choices, you can send them a letter of interest/intent. I'm not sure if the admin takes them seriously, but it doesn't hurt. Good luck to you and all others on the HP list! It's not a bad place to be. I hope you HP guys and those waiting to hear back get the big white envelope! :luck:
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I wont send them then. Ill just wait it out and cross my fingers!THX
So that's a 3.43 GPA. I wouldn't send it in until you had to.

bhbh48 has good advice here. And congrats, bhbh48. You give hope to lots of folks on the HP waitlist.
Thx NDY. I guess it would look bad to send them in. Ill be waiting like this:eek: till april.:thumbup:

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I wont send them then. Ill just wait it out and cross my fingers

I agree with the above posters about NOT sending them. Do send a LOI though, since it seems to be your #1 choice. Sorry to hear about the HP waitlists on this thread guys but as many have proved earlier this year, it's actually not a bad position at all:)

PG, Ltrain, NDY, Mrs Smith--->>seems like GOOD NEWS you haven't heard anything yet!!:luck: :luck:

HP list in SoCal on Friday... They said I'd hear a more definitive answer by the end of April. :luck: :luck: Everyone!! :luck: :luck:

HP list in SoCal on Friday... They said I'd hear a more definitive answer by the end of April. :luck: :luck: Everyone!! :luck: :luck:

Caribou, sorry it was an HP and not an acceptance...but just think -- after waiting so long for the initial decision, the end of April is not too far away at all!! Good luck with the HP!

Probably not what you wanted to hear, Caribou, but it sure beats a rejection and it has to feel kind of good to know something, no?

Hope you see some movement in the near future. Congrats...

SO sorry your majesty! :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Well, she got admitted and you did not. So, perhaps, you should show a little more respect for her judgment. There seems to be a disparity in maturity here. So it seems that the Ad Com got it right.

PG, Ltrain, NDY, Mrs Smith--->>seems like GOOD NEWS you haven't heard anything yet!!:luck: :luck:

I hope so....we'll see what magical decisions emerge this week. *fingers crossed* for everyone. :luck: :luck: :luck:

thanks for the support ltrain and notdeadyet. Does anybody know if they reject people straight off the HP list or if they only accept/waitlist off the HP? I'm applying to the MSTP, so I need a waitlist or acceptance to have a shot at the combined degree. We'll see what happens:)

:luck: :luck: everyone still waiting :luck: :luck:

Well, she got admitted and you did not. So, perhaps, you should show a little more respect for her judgment. There seems to be a disparity in maturity here. So it seems that the Ad Com got it right.

Ok, ok, let's keep it civil....stair-plummeting-baby-avatars or not we are here to support eachother.... And I think we all know we truly have no clue how the UCSF adcom makes their judgements---perhaps it's not maturity based at all but, I dunno, correlated with something else random, say, MCAT scores for instance :rolleyes: :laugh:

I am sure glad you post shows that you are mature otherwise you would look pretty stupid!:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

says the person who keeps editing their replies

thanks for the support ltrain and notdeadyet. Does anybody know if they reject people straight off the HP list or if they only accept/waitlist off the HP? I'm applying to the MSTP, so I need a waitlist or acceptance to have a shot at the combined degree. We'll see what happens:)

:luck: :luck: everyone still waiting :luck: :luck:

According to last year's thread rejections are made from the high priority list at the beginning of May...a waitlist is also formed sometime around there, and if you're on it you're told whether you're in the top half or the bottom half (the total waitlist size is 100 people). I think the top half of the list saw movement, but not the bottom half last year.

aw, our friendly thread turned mean :(

let's be supportive again, especially since april is a stressful time.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Ok, ok, let's keep it civil....stair-plummeting-baby-avatars or not we are here to support eachother.... And I think we all know we truly have no clue how the UCSF adcom makes their judgements---perhaps it's not maturity based at all but, I dunno, correlated with something else random, say, MCAT scores for instance :rolleyes: :laugh:

Checking in from the hotel. I'm with Max8 on this one.

Caribou- Arg! (in my best pirate voice again).

Good luck next week all.

SF

:luck: :luck: I am sorry to hear about all the high priorities but that does mean there is hope!:)

I agree with Max and SF- we are here to support each other during this very stressful time so . . . be nice.

Hang in there guys.. its almost over :) I was going through my pictures today and found my photos from when I went cruising around the city after my interview.. *sigh* I guess my avatar says it all...

According to last year's thread rejections are made from the high priority list at the beginning of May...a waitlist is also formed sometime around there, and if you're on it you're told whether you're in the top half or the bottom half (the total waitlist size is 100 people). I think the top half of the list saw movement, but not the bottom half last year.

Oh boy. I sure hope I'm in the top half. :scared:

Good intell, eekonomics. Thanks for the info...

Okay, guys, so just back of the envelope:

30 acceptances each for Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar (per Dr. Wofsy) ... 120
No movement from bottom of WL last year ... <= 50 acceptances from the WL
~250 acceptances given out last year
250-170 = 80 acceptances left to give out this month!

Yes? No? I'm bored with work.

Do we know the size of the waitlist?

Eek said 100...I think this being the formal waitlist and not the people who are/have been receiving HP waitlists...

So 80 to give out to the combination of people who haven't received a decision and people who got a HP.

?

Eek said 100...
You're right. I must have glossed right over that. My bad.

I'm curious to find out if UCSF is actually sending out acceptances for the next two weeks, as folks have been mentioning. Seen a few HP waitlisters but no acceptances. It'd be nice to not have to wait another two or three weeks before we can hope of outright acceptance...

Eek said 100...I think this being the formal waitlist and not the people who are/have been receiving HP waitlists...

So 80 to give out to the combination of people who haven't received a decision and people who got a HP.

?

wait, did i miss something? ltrain - are you hp-ed or wl-ed? is there a difference? is one better than the other? i wonder if we can petition to get you in...

Hi all...I called admissions on Friday and asked about HP. The lady said that HP is like a hold, and in April/May, they would either accept, waitlist or reject....

Here's to another month of waiting for me and all other HPs...:eek:

wait, did i miss something? ltrain - are you hp-ed or wl-ed? is there a difference? is one better than the other? i wonder if we can petition to get you in...

Oh, I'm neither yet...still waiting for a decision :rolleyes:

So my understanding is that they give out HP waitlists throughout the interview season. Then, eekonomics was saying that come May 1 they begin giving rejections to some of the HP-ers (which seems a little cruel, I mean how do they define "high priority"...), give acceptances to some (?), and transfer some to a structured (2-tier) waitlist of 100 people.

Edit: Yeah, what dream said.

Hi all...I called admissions on Friday and asked about HP. The lady said that HP is like a hold, and in April/May, they would either accept, waitlist or reject....

Here's to another month of waiting for me and all other HPs...:eek:

Am i the only one who thinks that that is a misleading use of diction? High Priority seems to me to sound better than Waitlist... annoying... it's pouring in boston today (just stopped a bit ago), and my sister says it's too sunny to take a nap (she's in norcal on spring break from high school). Can NOT wait to move back... on a random note, i fell while running (in a nice 5-year-old sprawled mass on the floor) and have nicely bloodied and oozing palms and knees (and one elbow - i can't quite figure out why), so I'm stuck at home... argh. Ah well. Ltrain - let's do dinner. I cook, you eat. haha. anyone else in boston?