UCSF/SFSU Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaFlgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So according to a thread from this time last year, those who were accepted to UCSF/SFSU got a call on the Monday after the interview and those who were waitlisted found out via email a few days-few weeks later. Has anyone heard yet? I interviewed on Saturday but I'm not feeling very hopeful.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not get an interview, but how was the interview itself?

Good luck!

I also interviewed on Saturday and have not heard anything thus far. I wonder if it will take a little longer this year due to the increased number of interviews??

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that thread from last year too. Going to keep my phone close by this week! I didn't know they had an increase in number of interviewees? How many people did they interview?

I also read last years forum and it looked like people heard on Tuesday. I also interviewed on Saturday and have not yet heard anything. I agree - maybe they are taking more time this year since there has been a greater number of applicants, interviewees, etc.

Do you know how many students they plan on taking for the class of 2012?

How did you feel about the interview? There were some questions like, "what cultural community service have you done within the past year" which was difficult to answer within the time frame. Also, with several of the questions, there was an addendum about having a leadership role, which oftentimes I replied, "no, but..."

I just got the call from Jane Galvan! Good luck everyone!

I just got the call from Jane Galvan! Good luck everyone!

Congrats!!! Are you planning on attending? Also, did they say how long you have before you have to decide? And what's the deposit?

I think last year they interviewed 90-something and had a class size of between 32-36. They mentioned this year would be an upper limit of 42, with hopes of next year being 50. I agree with others in that maybe it's taking longer with the increased number of interviewees. I'm still not feeling like I'll get the call.

the deposit is 500! They will send an email on the due date for the deposit and the decision. This is definitely in my top two schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
the deposit is 500! They will send an email on the due date for the deposit and the decision. This is definitely in my top two schools!

What's the other one? Do you mind sharing your stats? Thanks!

I don't mind at all. I was accepted at NYU, USC, and now UCSF. After visiting USC, I was blown away by their facilities. However, having cost be an issue and knowing that I would rather live in SF than LA, I am definitely leaning towards UCSF

Just got the call! Now time to decide between UCSF and Duke...

Congrats! Which faculty members conducted your respective interviews?

still no call :( I wonder if they already called everyone they are accepting...

I wonder if they weed people out based on pre-reqs completed. I have heard that a lot of students apply with maybe 3 pre-reqs in progress when I heard that here they require 80% completed before the application is submitted. For those students admitted, would you mind sharing GPA, etc. I am applying this upcoming cycle and want to know how to separate myself with so many qualified applicants. I was curious if schools like UCSF hold the GRE scores and pre-reqs completed to strict standards?

I wonder if they weed people out based on pre-reqs completed. I have heard that a lot of students apply with maybe 3 pre-reqs in progress when I heard that here they require 80% completed before the application is submitted. For those students admitted, would you mind sharing GPA, etc. I am applying this upcoming cycle and want to know how to separate myself with so many qualified applicants. I was curious if schools like UCSF hold the GRE scores and pre-reqs completed to strict standards?
University: University of California, Santa Barbara

Major: Environmental Studies, B.S. concentration in Biology
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: 3.27
last 60 UD: 3.76

GRE: V580, Q640, AW 4.5

Observation Hours: 3190 hours in outpatient orthopedic, 50 hours in inpatient

Extra-Curric: member of Public Health brigade, numerous races, Environmental Affairs Board, volunteer at UCSB student health, captain of intramural volleyball team, recreational major league softball team player,

Volunteer: 50 hours in an inpatient setting, week long public health brigade to Honduras

Acceptances: USC, NYU, UCSF

Applied: UCSF, NYU, USC, Simmons, Chapman, Samuel Merritt, and University of Washington

Rejections: none so far

Interviews: Samuel Merritt, UCSF, NYU

About the prereq thing, I finished mine in December and the application was due October 3. Because I was coming from an unrelated field for my BS, I was only able to take the required prereqs and zero recommended courses. So I think there are 11 prereqs? I had finished 8 before I submitted my app- 73%, not 80% and I got in. And, I barely had over the min observation hours even though they recommend to have lots more.

Also, one girl I talked to didn't even have the minimum GRE score and she got an interview, not sure if she got in.

So apply if you want to go there!

Last edited:
University: University of Central Florida
Major: Event Management
Overall GPA: 3.96
Pre-Req GPA: 3.90

GRE: V540, Q740, AW 5.0

Observation Hours: 153 in outpatient ortho/elementary school/acute inpatient

Extra-Curric: member of Preprofessional Medical Society, intramural basketball, work

Volunteer: 80 hours in an acute inpatient hospital, Rock for Hunger (homeless organization), YMCA youth girls basketball coach

Applied: UCSF, USC (SoCal), Duke, USF (South Fl), NAU, CSUN, CSULB, Western Univ. of Health Sciences

Acceptances: UCSF, USC, Duke

Interviews: Duke (12/5), Western (declined), UCSF (1/28), NAU (3/3)

Waitlisted: none

Rejections: USF

Just got the email... placed in the top 8 for alternates... what do I do?? Do I hold out?? With such a small class size I'm not sure if being somewhere in the top 8 will do me much good.... Advice?

Just got the email... placed in the top 8 for alternates... what do I do?? Do I hold out?? With such a small class size I'm not sure if being somewhere in the top 8 will do me much good.... Advice?
NiCal, I'm in the exact same position! Just curious... have you gotten in anywhere else? I'm also wondering how many people who were offered spots will actually turn them down....

Thank you for responding with stats and helpful information. Ya I will plan to apply and see what happens, you never know. My stats are around a 3.5 right now and I have two pre-reqs left in the Fall so I should have an ok shot! Thanks again and good luck to all

Nical, it seems like your decision has been made for you. EMORY lol

Congrats to everyone who got in! Must feel pretty awesome. :)

I couldn't apply there cuz I still have 2 prereqs left this spring. ( +pity+). I emailed someone in admissions, and she told me they were very firm about the December deadline for completing prereqs. For those that got in with more than 20% in progress last fall -- good to see they weren't so strict about it!

Nical, it seems like your decision has been made for you. EMORY lol

AHH i know! I really did like UCSF a lot and it is in california. Emory is still my favorite... I just have to get used to the idea of living in Atlanta! lol

AHH i know! I really did like UCSF a lot and it is in california. Emory is still my favorite... I just have to get used to the idea of living in Atlanta! lol

I hear ya. I'm moving from Boston

Anyone know when the due date for the deposit and the decision is?

Yes, what's the name of the FB group?!?!?! I want to join, but I can't find it :D

NiCal, I'm in the exact same position! Just curious... have you gotten in anywhere else? I'm also wondering how many people who were offered spots will actually turn them down....

Hey ml0925, Im sorry I never saw this post. Yes, I was offered acceptance at Emory however when I got the call I could not say no. Jane said I was first on the wait list so I really have no idea how many people are not accepting the offer... good luck to you!

Yes, what's the name of the FB group?!?!?! I want to join, but I can't find it :D

I changed it to an open group so you should be able to find it now- "UCSF/SFSU DPT Class of 2015." :)

Hey ml0925, Im sorry I never saw this post. Yes, I was offered acceptance at Emory however when I got the call I could not say no. Jane said I was first on the wait list so I really have no idea how many people are not accepting the offer... good luck to you!
Hey NiCal... I'm so happy for you and all the other UCSF/SFSU accepted students!! I absolutely loved the schools and what they had to say about their program. All things being equal, I would have stayed on the wait list, but when I factored in family, moving, etc., I decided to accept Chapman's offer. And I'm so excited!! Congrats to all of us in the Class of 2015! :)

I think I'm being silly, but I cannot find the Facebook group... Any hints?

hmm, I can't find it either. Can you add me as well?

About the prereq thing, I finished mine in December and the application was due October 3. Because I was coming from an unrelated field for my BS, I was only able to take the required prereqs and zero recommended courses. So I think there are 11 prereqs? I had finished 8 before I submitted my app- 73%, not 80% and I got in. And, I barely had over the min observation hours even though they recommend to have lots more.

Also, one girl I talked to didn't even have the minimum GRE score and she got an interview, not sure if she got in.

So apply if you want to go there!
CaFlgirl, you mentioned one applicant didn't even have the minimum GRE score and got an interview. I did really well on the verbal and quantitative, but "only" got a 4 on the AW, while UCSF requires a 4.5. I live in the Bay Area and (for obvious reasons) would prefer staying here, rather than moving. I'll be applying later this year with, when it's all said and done, a ~3.9 gpa, ~200 hrs. observation. Think that half point on the GRE Analytical Writing would be a deal-breaker?

Definitely not. My quantitative score was just under what they stated on the site and I have been accepted to the program. I have heard rumors that they sometimes will give out interview invitations and then ask the applicant to retake the GRE, but that did not happen to me. Obviously they care about GPA's and test scores, but I will admit I am pretty average when it comes to that stuff, what got me in is quality experience. With such a competitive pool of applicants having something on your application that makes you stand out is what will get you to the interview. I would spend your energy on gaining experience in a variety of settings, not shooting for that extra half point. Hope this helps!

Definitely not. My quantitative score was just under what they stated on the site and I have been accepted to the program. I have heard rumors that they sometimes will give out interview invitations and then ask the applicant to retake the GRE, but that did not happen to me. Obviously they care about GPA's and test scores, but I will admit I am pretty average when it comes to that stuff, what got me in is quality experience. With such a competitive pool of applicants having something on your application that makes you stand out is what will get you to the interview. I would spend your energy on gaining experience in a variety of settings, not shooting for that extra half point. Hope this helps!

Thank you, NiCal! That does help. I am so focused on acquiring observation hours before the next application cycle that I don't even know where I would fit in a new test date. It seems like that is the optimal tact to take. Congratulations!

I've never excelled on the timed essays, going all the way back to the SAT's. However, I'm confident in my writing abilities and have often been praised for them. Go figure. Hopefully, no one asks me to discuss my position on the statement "The purpose of technological innovation is to create more leisure time," in an interview. :D

CaFlgirl, you mentioned one applicant didn't even have the minimum GRE score and got an interview. I did really well on the verbal and quantitative, but "only" got a 4 on the AW, while UCSF requires a 4.5. I live in the Bay Area and (for obvious reasons) would prefer staying here, rather than moving. I'll be applying later this year with, when it's all said and done, a ~3.9 gpa, ~200 hrs. observation. Think that half point on the GRE Analytical Writing would be a deal-breaker?

Like NiCal said, I wouldn't focus on trying to get that extra .5. They will interview and accept people who don't quite meet the minimums. I think they're website makes them seem scarier than they are, because they have a lot of requirements and highly recommended extras (which I didn't have). That being said, you still want to make yourself a competitive applicant because it is a competitive program to get into. They have so many aspects of their application process that I'm not exactly how much they weigh each different element.