UCSF/SFSU DPT Interview 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MYSTERYLEE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just got an email invitation for an interview for UCSF/SFSU earlier today and see a couple others on this forum also have as well. Congrats! :)

I was hoping some other members would have any insight on the UCSF/SFSU's interview process and what the weekend full of festivities entailed. As far as the interviews go, should we be more prepared for detailed questions about the field, more personality and situational questions, or was it more of a laid-back conversational interview? What about the post-interview essay? Any and all information would be incredibly helpful as well, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey I also got an invite to interview! I am very curious about the process as well. I was also curious if you got a confirmation email when you sent in your acceptance for the interview process? I sent mine in but I didnt get one. I just want to make sure that my acceptance went through!

Hey I also got an invite to interview! I am very curious about the process as well. I was also curious if you got a confirmation email when you sent in your acceptance for the interview process? I sent mine in but I didnt get one. I just want to make sure that my acceptance went through!

No confirmation email here either! I’ve heard others say the same!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I have not received any type of confirmation email yet, so I think we're all good!

Hello there! Congrats to those who got the interview invite! UCSF is my top choice, and I've been anxiously waiting to hear from them, but have not got any emails from them whatsoever, not even a rejection. Their website says that interview notifications should have gone out today (January 6th), but we know now that they went out much earlier. I'm just wondering if I should give up on it by now or still be hopeful. This uncertainty is killing me, and their office is closed until Monday...:(:annoyed:

Hello there! Congrats to those who got the interview invite! UCSF is my top choice, and I've been anxiously waiting to hear from them, but have not got any emails from them whatsoever, not even a rejection. Their website says that interview notifications should have gone out today (January 6th), but we know now that they went out much earlier. I'm just wondering if I should give up on it by now or still be hopeful. This uncertainty is killing me, and their office is closed until Monday...:(:annoyed:

I think there are alot of variables so I would hold out for a bit. I was told we would get our schedule by the 1/20 and the interviews are the 1/26 or 1/27. Fingers crossed for all of you!

Questions for those attending interviews:

-Does anyone know how many folks get interviews?
-What are you doing to prepare?
-I have only briefly met current students or alum, what do folks say about the program? It looks amazing, I have heard that you have to be independent in a lot of ways such as getting clinical placements but otherwise I haven't heard much about the student experience.

Questions for those attending interviews:

-Does anyone know how many folks get interviews?
-What are you doing to prepare?
-I have only briefly met current students or alum, what do folks say about the program? It looks amazing, I have heard that you have to be independent in a lot of ways such as getting clinical placements but otherwise I haven't heard much about the student experience.

Answering the first question, I've heard two things. From a professor in the program I heard 150, and from a current student involved in the orientation (in that forum they emailed us about) I heard 225. So, I'm wondering if they invited 225 and only 150 accepted the invite, or if one of the two numbers is just plain wrong! Not at all sure!

Has anyone received an email about their scheduled interview time? I’m really hoping mine is Saturday. I’ll be driving into the city, so I’d rather not have to deal with Friday morning commute traffic :arghh:

Has anyone received an email about their scheduled interview time? I’m really hoping mine is Saturday. I’ll be driving into the city, so I’d rather not have to deal with Friday morning commute traffic :arghh:

I haven't yet. I really need an answer soon so I can plan out the trip...

Kinda in a similar boat, depending on if I interview Friday morning I might stay in the city Thursday night because commute traffic into the city is brutal!

Email them! I needed to book a flight to SF so I just emailed admissions today and they told me when my interview day was!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, everyone! I also have an interview coming up at UCSF next weekend. I've been struggling to find a place to stay, just because of the prices in the city. Anyone know how bad the commute would be from SFO?

I can't wait to meet you all in a couple of weeks! is anyone in this forum attending only one day OR know someone who is attending only one day?

Also in regards to the number of students being interviewed, I heard that there is a goal to interview 150 applicants and the max is 160. (still unsure)

Congrats, everyone! I also have an interview coming up at UCSF next weekend. I've been struggling to find a place to stay, just because of the prices in the city. Anyone know how bad the commute would be from SFO?
I’d give yourself a good 45 minutes to get into the city from the airport.

Hey guys, do you think the 15 minute writing portion is going to be more of a paragraph response...or are they actually expecting use to be able to write a coherent “essay” in 15 minutes...I thought the 30 minute GRE writing portion was insane already :nailbiting:

Hey guys, do you think the 15 minute writing portion is going to be more of a paragraph response...or are they actually expecting use to be able to write a coherent “essay” in 15 minutes...I thought the 30 minute GRE writing portion was insane already :nailbiting:
I think they just want to see if our writing style matches with the essays that we submitted through PTCAS! Shouldn't be any super challenging/tricky essay prompts I think (and hope)

I can't wait to meet you all in a couple of weeks! is anyone in this forum attending only one day OR know someone who is attending only one day?

Also in regards to the number of students being interviewed, I heard that there is a goal to interview 150 applicants and the max is 160. (still unsure)

I’m wondering where you heard this! The student panel has definitely posted that there will be 231. I hope you’re right.

Last edited:
Anyone get the “official” interview schedule email from UCSF/SFSU admissions yet, with your interview and essay time?

Hey, I'm only attending one day (Friday) because I am flying out Friday evening to Colorado for another interview the following day (Saturday).

Mine is a Saturday interview and a Friday essay :joyful: happy to be getting the essay out of the way first

Friday essay group B and Saturday interview group D!

Does anyone know if we have to attend ALL of the events listed in the email?

Does anyone know if we have to attend ALL of the events listed in the email?
I don't think so. I spoke to Oscar Hernandez over the phone and although it is "highly recommended to go to all the events so you can get to know the people and see if the program is a good fit," and I assume vice versa (my thinking is that it lets people of the program get to know you better which could potentially be a benefit in helping you stand out), he said that it will NOT affect your chances of being accepted if you do not attend all events. I'm only going Friday to do the essay and interview, then flying to Colorado for another interview, so I won't be attending the Friday evening or all day Saturday events. Just wishing for the best! haha

I don't think so. I spoke to Oscar Hernandez over the phone and although it is "highly recommended to go to all the events so you can get to know the people and see if the program is a good fit," and I assume vice versa (my thinking is that it lets people of the program get to know you better which could potentially be a benefit in helping you stand out), he said that it will NOT affect your chances of being accepted if you do not attend all events. I'm only going Friday to do the essay and interview, then flying to Colorado for another interview, so I won't be attending the Friday evening or all day Saturday events. Just wishing for the best! haha

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. :) Good luck on your interviews!

I’m wondering where you heard this! The student panel has definitely posted that there will be 231. I hope you’re right.
I hope I am too!
I have an interview with Sacramento too, and I know they interview 100 and accept 32, so the 150-160 for UCSF matches the percentage of students accepted. I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

Seems like we will hear back today if we were accepted into the program !! Goodluck everyone :)

Good luck to everyone today! Post here when everyone starts hearing back so we know when to be expecting a response :)

I'm guessing after lunch they will begin to call

got my call at like 1245 pm today! good luck to everyone!!!! hoping you all the best :)

Got my call a little after noon!!!! Yaaayyy!!! :soexcited:

Got mine around 12:50!!!! Good luck to everyone!!!

got my call today as well! <3 <3 <3 good luck everyone! I hope to see you guys in June!

Did anyone just get the email notifying them about a change in application status and not a phone call?

Did anyone receive the “official” acceptance email for UCSF/SFSU and have a schalarship offered to them in the email? Just curious because my official email didn’t mention a scholarship, and during the weekend I was never able to get a straight answer by any of the current students about whether or not UCSF/SFSU offers merit based scholarships.

Hey all!

Congrats to people who got in! I am on the alternate list, so will be in limbo!

Does anyone have the scoop on the waitlist? Like how many people are on it for example. I know some places have super long waitlists. I am going to ask what my position is and see if they can tell me that!

Also on the alternate list, fingers crossed! I read in previous forums that they have sent a “top 15” alternate list in years past, anyone know if they are doing that again this year?

I was accepted as well!!! Congrats to everyone :) So surreal!

Hey all!

Congrats to people who got in! I am on the alternate list, so will be in limbo!

Does anyone have the scoop on the waitlist? Like how many people are on it for example. I know some places have super long waitlists. I am going to ask what my position is and see if they can tell me that!

Hey Magpieeee, please let me know if they tell you your waitlist position. I got waitlisted as well and wonder if I should try to find out my ranking too.

Congrats to those who got admitted! Do you mind sharing your stats?

For those who got waitlisted: I just spoke with Oscar Hernandez. He could not tell me my position on the list, but he said that there are 40 people on the alternate list, and they are not doing a top 15/high tier list this year, so I could be anywhere from #1 to #40 on it. That doesn't help much, but somehow makes me feel better to know there're still chances.