UCSF/SFSU v. USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTNYsfbay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these two programs. I would love some insight from current students or other prospective students who may be making the same decision. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously I'm not a student at either because we've been talking on the other forum, but what are you trying to decide between them. I got into both, but I'm definitely not going to USC (I'm trying to decide between Duke and UCSF- leaning towards UCSF). They both had good research facilities, but the students at USC didn't seem actually involved in research unless they wanted to be, whereas at UCSF you're required to be. I thought USC was too expensive. Also, I didn't like that most of the classes were in the basement- I need windows! It does suck that UCSF is on 3 campuses but I looked at their schedules online and sometimes you're at 1 campus all day.

You can PM me if you want to hash it out more! Always good to talk about it (I'm getting opinions from everyone I know haha).

Obviously I'm not a student at either because we've been talking on the other forum, but what are you trying to decide between them. I got into both, but I'm definitely not going to USC (I'm trying to decide between Duke and UCSF- leaning towards UCSF). They both had good research facilities, but the students at USC didn't seem actually involved in research unless they wanted to be, whereas at UCSF you're required to be. I thought USC was too expensive. Also, I didn't like that most of the classes were in the basement- I need windows! It does suck that UCSF is on 3 campuses but I looked at their schedules online and sometimes you're at 1 campus all day.

You can PM me if you want to hash it out more! Always good to talk about it (I'm getting opinions from everyone I know haha).
Let's hash is out shall we?

Class of 30ish students vs a class of 100, living in sf vs living in a really bad area of LA, $50k+ tuition or closer to 30k?

Just depends what you're into I guess. In all seriousness though, they are both good programs with great reputations, I'm a current student (not at either program) and one of my professors went to USC, I think he really enjoyed his time there, but he did say it was difficult to see some of the PT techniques taught with the 100 students in his class all crowding around or watching on screens. I can vouch that with 40 students it can be hard to manage, so I can't really imagine having 100. Just keep in mind what you're after in a PT program and what the students like or disliked about their programs if you got to talk with them.