UCSF Waitlist 2008 Update Letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stkyrice

mmm....bacon.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on the waitlist received an update yet about their waitlist placement? Letters were supposed to have gone out last Friday but I haven't received anything (of course, I might have to just go home and check the mail when I get back home, since I do live right by SF).

*twiddling fingers*

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, got mine today..wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

What is all that about ^ . Anyhow, yes I got mine today also. BTW it has been a long time that I have been sharking sdn waiting for someone to make this thread. How about us UCSF waitlisters try to keep this one alive as a kind of support group. My feelings: excited/nervous/froustrated/wanting more movement. Anyone else feel the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I use Opera and it doesn't always work well with all websites. I don't know how all that stuff got there. I wish the list would've moved more, but in the letter it said there isn't much movement until the end of July. I'm planning on reapplying and getting that all done by the end of June. It's gonna be expensive to apply again, but it's more than worth it. Now let's see if all that gibberish shows up again, my apologies if it does.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

I have a question for whoever. What is the deal with letters of rec and reapplying? Specificly, if you are going to reapply, how many new LOR's are you required to get? And if you are required to get new letters, does it matter from who? Lastly, what is the deal with PharmCAS, will they save your app from last year? If they don't then do we have to track down all of our letter writers and have them re submit their letters?.........I know it is a lot, but someone please help.

You have to get all new letters, and start a new app on Pharmcas. Fun isn't it? I'm getting LOR's from two of the same people that I had last time, only I'm going to give them more updated information on myself so the letter is different. I'm not looking forward to re-doing the part where you have to manually enter every single class, last time that took me like 5 hours.

I have a question for whoever. What is the deal with letters of rec and reapplying? Specificly, if you are going to reapply, how many new LOR's are you required to get? And if you are required to get new letters, does it matter from who? Lastly, what is the deal with PharmCAS, will they save your app from last year? If they don't then do we have to track down all of our letter writers and have them re submit their letters?.........I know it is a lot, but someone please help.

I just spoke with the admission coordinator and for UCSF specifically, you only need to get one new LOR, and you can tell them to just refer to other LORs from your past application (so you don't have to hunt down professors again). There is a new rule for next year for UCSF where they will not accept LORs from friends or family.

UCSF keeps all your transcripts, prior LORs, supplemental, and your interview feedback (if you made it that far). In your new app, you should definitely address how your application's been strengthened in the past year, and to not just cut and paste your app from last year. They definitely check! The admissions coordinator said that people who interviewed but did poorly are probably less likely to be called back since they already know those people's style.

As for PharmCAS, they don't save your app from last year, so if you're applying to other schools or new schools, you might have to talk to your previous recommenders to rewrite/resubmit your LORs for PharmCAS.

The admissions coordinator basically said that my application was really strong along with my interview and writing sample, and he told me all these things that I needed to do in order to strengthen the overall tone and message of my app in order to make it even stronger to get accepted. He did say that my GPA was probably a factor as well (at the time of PharmCAS, it was a 3.02), but that my other factors were strong enough to definitely consider reapplying and breaking through. It was really a lot of minor factors that added up pushed me into the waitlist instead of getting accepted outright.

Also, he said that there should be more movement next month as they start going over people's prereqs and kicking out both admits and waitlisters who aren't going to finish them in time for the fall. He also said that people who've already accepted a UCSD acceptance offer and are on the waitlist for UCSF will also get kicked off the list, since UCSF and UCSD share lists. I'm assuming that the same will also happen for people who got into UCSF outright and are still waiting for UCSD.

As for my own personal feelings, I'm cautious but still really hopeful. I'm totally preparing to apply again in case I don't get called, and getting some more real volunteer experience under my belt (which both the coordinator and I know was lacking), and maybe shadowing if I can pull it off.

BTW, we've all just been moved up another spot as of yesterday, the last #1 just declined. :D

Just something to raise all of your spirits even further. I am not sure if the person that just moved off the list is who I am talking about but I know of one other person who is probably going to give up his spot. So keep your dreams alive everyone, it's not over till it's over!!!!

Thanks for the info guys! Seeing the waitlist move only about 9 people was sorta disappointing (esp since my number's so high up...) but it's good to know others are in the same state I am. Keep hoping! :thumbup:

So did any of you guys still on the waitlist get in anywhere else? I feel like I'm the only one who didn't get accepted anywhere (sigh). I know I shouldn't complain, since I got waitlisted instead of being totally rejected to all the schools where I completed my app, but still it IS irritating.

Yeah I only applied to UCSF and UOP. UOP rejected me and I'm waitlisted at UCSF. Hopefully the waitlist moves a lot more. At least though applying a second time around is a little less stressful, because you know what to expect.

I'm waitlisted at four out of the five schools I applied to, rejected at the other, so I completely know how you guys feel.

I too know the feeling. I applied to all pharmacy schools in cali except loma linda and the new one in sac (which wasn't even around when I applied). All rejected me except UCSF which now has me on the waitlist <-------Sweet!

Just a little FYI to all of you who don't know, the list moved again last thursday!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone.
it's been a while since I checked the sdn but just wanna wish you all good luck and think positively. Each year is different and I heard there was a year they called up to #60. So like someone said earlier, it's not over till it's over.
A little bit about my own experience on the waitlist. I was placed #44 and when they closed the list I was #14. Very disappointed and sad but I persevered and reapplied and got my acceptance letter early in the process. My point is if you have determination and know in your heart that you will be a pharmacist, achieving it is just a matter of time. Don't give up, keep your hopes high and good luck! :luck:

I too know the feeling. I applied to all pharmacy schools in cali except loma linda and the new one in sac (which wasn't even around when I applied). All rejected me except UCSF which now has me on the waitlist <-------Sweet!

Just a little FYI to all of you who don't know, the list moved again last thursday!!!!!!!

Awesome--I'm amazed that the waitlist is moving so fast!

Does this mean I really have a chance?!:eek:

(After being a reader for a while)
I made an acct just to say I'm on the waitlist as well!

:clap:

I called up the admissions coordinator yesterday. No new movement from the past couple of weeks, at least from my position (now low 20s). (sigh)

Does anyone know how many people UCSF has accepted from the waitlist to date?

Does anyone know how many people UCSF has accepted from the waitlist to date?

As of last week, 11 people have been called off the waitlist, meaning they were either accepted, declined to be on the watilist, or were removed.

As of last week, 11 people have been called off the waitlist, meaning they were either accepted, declined to be on the watilist, or were removed.

Thanks Stkyrice. Any luck with Hawai'i? Good luck to you & everyone who's still waiting.

Thanks Stkyrice. Any luck with Hawai'i? Good luck to you & everyone who's still waiting.

Haven't heard from Hawai'i yet either. Grrr.

I totally forgot that UCSF is sending out their waitlist updates tomorrow, and that Hawai'i sends out acceptance letters on Fridays too. Argh! :scared:

At least I'm starting out the PharmCAS for '09 and hopefully I'll get that done by the end of the month. Thank God UCSF keeps all the old LORs and transcripts so that I don't have to send them out again.

Haven't heard from Hawai'i yet either. Grrr.

I totally forgot that UCSF is sending out their waitlist updates tomorrow, and that Hawai'i sends out acceptance letters on Fridays too. Argh! :scared:

At least I'm starting out the PharmCAS for '09 and hopefully I'll get that done by the end of the month. Thank God UCSF keeps all the old LORs and transcripts so that I don't have to send them out again.

Good luck stkyrice. :luck:

So did anyone move up on the waitlist from the update letters that were sent on Friday?

I didn't...*sigh* :mad:

EDIT: never mind.. this is for 2008.. sometimes i panic without a cause.. lol..

i am applying for 2009.. i got freaked out a bit..

by the way, how long does it take for them to send out a approved course list if you send them an email with your college information..?
they didnt have a course list for ETSU

Last edited:
EDIT: never mind.. this is for 2008.. sometimes i panic without a cause.. lol..

i am applying for 2009.. i got freaked out a bit..

by the way, how long does it take for them to send out a approved course list if you send them an email with your college information..?
they didnt have a course list for ETSU

Well, it is early in the cycle, so I don't know. You should call up the admissions coordinator if you don't hear back from them within a week or two. They're actually pretty good about following up.

You still have about 4 1/2 months to complete the 2009 application anyway.

So did anyone move up on the waitlist from the update letters that were sent on Friday?

I didn't...*sigh* :mad:

I moved up by 3 from the last letter, but at this rate, it doesn't look like I'll be moving off the waitlist anytime soon :(

I thought about applying again this year, but I feel like I already did the best I could on my apps, so I don't know if it's worth it. If you guys are applying again, what will you do differently??

Call up Joel (the admissions coordinator) and talk to him about your chances. He's pretty honest (but also very encouraging) when you talk to him.

Depending on how you ranked, and how you did on the interview, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't reapply. If you made it to the waitlist, there's a high likelihood that you should get in the second time around (at least from what I've read/heard/seen).

I'm already planning to do more volunteering myself, and just tweaking the supplemental to talk more about pharmacy and how being on the waitlist affected me. I'm still hopeful that I could get in this year--but I'm just getting ready to finish my 09 PharmCAS soon to get it out of the way.

I may be a little late in asking this, but has anyone thought of writing a letter to the admissions committee, just basically re-stating your desire to get into the pharmacy school, etc? I just don't know how effective it'd be, since they've already ranked us...but then, do they really stick precisely to those number/rankings?

I may be a little late in asking this, but has anyone thought of writing a letter to the admissions committee, just basically re-stating your desire to get into the pharmacy school, etc? I just don't know how effective it'd be, since they've already ranked us...but then, do they really stick precisely to those number/rankings?

They stick to the numbers/ratings. Writing a letter now is pointless, since it's literally all dependent on everybody else who's in front of you--besides, having them change your ranking based on a letter would be unfair to everybody else who is waiting as well, who could've done the exact same thing you're thinking of, and rendering the waitlist completely useless.

As for me, I moved up one frickin' spot on the list from last month. Time for me to get my app ready for '09!

So I got my first e-mail notification from UCSF today.

I haven't moved.

Again.

(bangs head against wall)

Ok, I feel better.

Has anyone else gotten accepted from the list?

Awwww stkyrice,

That sucks. I'm not on the waitlist but I can imagine what it must be like, if that's any consolation which I doubt it is. I don't bite my nails but I probably would have chomped them all off by now if I were in your position. Well, there is still a good month + until school starts and a lot can happen between now and then. My best!

Awwww stkyrice,

That sucks. I'm not on the waitlist but I can imagine what it must be like, if that's any consolation which I doubt it is. I don't bite my nails but I probably would have chomped them all off by now if I were in your position. Well, there is still a good month + until school starts and a lot can happen between now and then. My best!

Well, I'm still waiting patiently, but I'm just getting ready to submit my app for 2009 given my rank right now, and unless something happens to the huge number of people ahead of me, I'm assuming I probably won't get in.

I'm not going to worry too much about it anyway. If I get in now, great--but there's always 2009, and I should have a good chance of getting in next year. :)