UGA c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarboKitty

Reaction score
I got some numbers for OOS applicants to Georgia and thought we could use thread to share this. Happy to connect with other UGA applicants!
-----
Our class breakdown is following:
GA Residents: 100​
SC Residents: 29​
DE Residents: 2​
At Large (your category): 19 (We typically receive >650 applicants for these 19 seats)​
Total: 150

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying as IS or OOS? Either way, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got some numbers for OOS applicants to Georgia and thought we could use thread to share this. Happy to connect with other UGA applicants!
-----
Our class breakdown is following:
GA Residents: 100​
SC Residents: 29​
DE Residents: 2​
At Large (your category): 19 (We typically receive >650 applicants for these 19 seats)​
Total: 150
This is very interesting I didn't realize they took so few non-contract OOS students.

Has anyone heard what this past years stats were?

Does anyone have the past years applicant amount? I applied back in 2019 and wondering if the applicant number has increased since then...

Does anyone have the past years applicant amount? I applied back in 2019 and wondering if the applicant number has increased since then...
I'm almost positive the number of applicants has increased every year :')

Per AAVMC

Class Size:150
Total Applicants: 1,383
Resident Applicants: 269
Non-Resident Applicants: 1,114
Institutional Applicant to Seat Ratio: 9.2
Grade Point Average
Mean Overall GPA: 3.7
Mean Science GPA: 3.6
GRE Scores
Required: Yes
Mean Verbal Percentile Score: 68.9
Mean Quantitative Percentile Score:54.6
Mean Writing Percentile Score: 65.8

Good luck everyone! I’m a current first year at UGA CVM. If you have any questions let me know 😊

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything from uga? I haven't even gotten a confirmation email from them :')

I haven't heard anything from them since I paid my supplemental application fee and that was only a receipt.

I haven't heard anything from them since I paid my supplemental application fee and that was only a receipt.
glad i'm not the only one! I'd feel a lot better if they sent an update or something :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Parker should be sending out an application update email early/mid November! He’ll also send one in late November as a reminder to send transcripts to them if you’re taking any prerequisite courses this semester.

• Care
Does anyone know if you get accepted if you have to maintain a certain GPA to keep your seat if you still have outstanding prerequisites?

Does anyone know if you get accepted if you have to maintain a certain GPA to keep your seat if you still have outstanding prerequisites?
I was wondering the same thing because physics is currently kicking my behind.

I got an application update today! Make sure to check your emails! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got mine too! Good luck to everyone! I'm a first time non-traditional applicant, UGA is my #1 choice and alma mater!

I did too! ugh i can’t wait until feb/march to get an answer, i want to know now!

Reactions: 1 users
First time IS applicant (who goes to undergrad OOS). Now that fall semester is ending, my anticipation is definitely increasing!

Has anyone received an email with instructions on how to send the fall transcript?

Just received an email about fall transcripts

for the transcript it says offical, does that mean using one of the serviced we did for VMCAS or a pdf from our school?

for the transcript it says offical, does that mean using one of the serviced we did for VMCAS or a pdf from our school?
I ordered mine to be electronically delivered directly to the DVM admit email.

Services like the National Student Clearinghouse is what most of the schools I’ve attended use. I would assume it would be something like that.

If you opt for electronic delivery I’d recommend checking on it after you order. I ordered with Parchment and they didn’t sent it out which was annoying :/

If you opt for electronic delivery I’d recommend checking on it after you order. I ordered with Parchment and they didn’t sent it out which was annoying :/

im potentially having issues with parchment too, was this issue for the inital transcript or the update they asked for today?

I used Parchment too, and I got an email receipt that it was ordered. This is worrying me though, so I might reach out and confirm that it was received or also send a paper copy.

im potentially having issues with parchment too, was this issue for the inital transcript or the update they asked for today?
It was my initial one! I got the confirmation from Parchment then they just… never sent it… I only new because the VMCAS showed as did not receive.

I used Parchment too, and I got an email receipt that it was ordered. This is worrying me though, so I might reach out and confirm that it was received or also send a paper copy.
Def recommend confirming — if doesn’t hurt just to make sure.

Can anyone speak to student life at UGA?
  1. Are classes for 1st and 2nd years in the vet school or on the main campus?
  2. Is it clique-y? Is it hard to make friends for those not coming straight from undergrad at UGA?
  3. Are classes mandatory attendance or can lectures be watched at home online?
  4. What does a typical day look like for a 1st or 2nd year?
  5. Where do most vet students live?
Thank you!!
Hi, current first year here!
1) Classes for the first and second years is at the main campus, the 3rd and 4th years is at the teaching hospital.
2) I have found it to be really easy to make friends, you have so much in common with everyone. I actually met my friend group during orientation. I went to undergrad at UGA but graduated in 2018 so went in not knowing anyone and I was just fine! Everyone is in the same boat as you and you will find a group you really hold onto. Everyone is super friendly and we all help each other to succeed. UGA vet med has a feeling very much like family, and all the students and faculty are extremely supportive.
3) Classes are mandatory but if you want to rewatch any lectures they do record them and post them online for your convenience.
4) A typical day starts with lectures in the morning and sometimes the afternoon, with most afternoons consisting of labs. Every day is different so we may have classes start at 8 AM somedays while others we may not start until 10 AM. Labs typically go until 4 PM but again it just depends on the day! Also, UGA values mental health and we have what is called "wellness Wednesday" every Wednesday morning, and have no classes that morning.
5) A lot of vet students live close to the teaching hospital/main campus but I personally live about 15 minutes from campus. I can send you specific places if you would like!

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know! Feel free to send me a message too.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, current first year here!
1) Classes for the first and second years is at the main campus, the 3rd and 4th years is at the teaching hospital.
2) I have found it to be really easy to make friends, you have so much in common with everyone. I actually met my friend group during orientation. I went to undergrad at UGA but graduated in 2018 so went in not knowing anyone and I was just fine! Everyone is in the same boat as you and you will find a group you really hold onto. Everyone is super friendly and we all help each other to succeed. UGA vet med has a feeling very much like family, and all the students and faculty are extremely supportive.
3) Classes are mandatory but if you want to rewatch any lectures they do record them and post them online for your convenience.
4) A typical day starts with lectures in the morning and sometimes the afternoon, with most afternoons consisting of labs. Every day is different so we may have classes start at 8 AM somedays while others we may not start until 10 AM. Labs typically go until 4 PM but again it just depends on the day! Also, UGA values mental health and we have what is called "wellness Wednesday" every Wednesday morning, and have no classes that morning.
5) A lot of vet students live close to the teaching hospital/main campus but I personally live about 15 minutes from campus. I can send you specific places if you would like!

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions let me know! Feel free to send me a message too.
Another first year here! I will add- lectures are technically mandatory, but most of them do not take attendance. A few do, and you'll learn fairly quickly which ones those are, but I know several people who often don't physically attend class and just watch recorded lectures on their own time for the classes that don't necessitate you being there! If you need a break or you just learn better by being able to watch recorded lectures and rewind/go at your own pace with them, there's no harm in it.

Agree with everything they said though! Plus, you can't beat being at a two-time national champion school :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you both! Do vet students get parking on campus? Which building are classes in for the first 2 years? I'm worried about losing a bunch of time in my day trying to get a bus to main campus.
We apply for parking just like the undergrad kids (though different groups are prioritized for different lots). While we're spread out to a few lots and some are closer/more convenient than others, I think almost all of us who wanted a parking pass got one (if not all, everyone I know personally got a spot). Some people do take the bus, some people walk, but those seem to be just personal preference.

For the first two years, we are at the College of Veterinary Medicine building. It's on the main campus and is the address listed if you google the CVM, near Stegeman Coliseum (basketball) and the Driftmier Engineering Center.

I know a lot of people are curious about previous admitted students statistics, this was posted in last years forum for applicants to see!! I’m not sure if they have fall 22’s data in yet but I’m sure I would assume it’s similar to this :)
99C27BD3-FA68-4FD7-90DA-96E29D2FC79E.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone else in South Carolina and struggling to get their residency verified? I have the paperwork filled out and ready to send but no one will respond to my calls or emails on where to send it. Just wondering if anyone is having the same problem!

Is anyone else in South Carolina and struggling to get their residency verified? I have the paperwork filled out and ready to send but no one will respond to my calls or emails on where to send it. Just wondering if anyone is having the same problem!
I just got an email from them saying I needed to fill it out but it’s kind of unclear on where to send it so I’ll probably just send it in a reply to the email. But I’m struggling to fill it out since I don’t have tax returns from SC since I moved here only 10 months ago.

I just got an email from them saying I needed to fill it out but it’s kind of unclear on where to send it so I’ll probably just send it in a reply to the email. But I’m struggling to fill it out since I don’t have tax returns from SC since I moved here only 10 months ago.

I was going to mail it to the address listed with Kenita Pitts’ information but was unsure if that’s where it needs to be sent. I also wanted to send it electronically because I’ve had trouble with this same problem with SC CHE. They’ve lost all of my paperwork once and they never respond when I reach out. I called thrice and emailed once yesterday to figure out where this needs to be sent. I have yet to receive a response.

I was going to mail it to the address listed with Kenita Pitts’ information but was unsure if that’s where it needs to be sent. I also wanted to send it electronically because I’ve had trouble with this same problem with SC CHE. They’ve lost all of my paperwork once and they never respond when I reach out. I called thrice and emailed once yesterday to figure out where this needs to be sent. I have yet to receive a response.

I did mine back in September and sent everything in the mail to Kenita Pitts

Has anyone email UGA making sure they receive their transcript? I email Parker about a week ago and I have heard back confirmation on receive my transcript.

Has anyone email UGA making sure they receive their transcript? I email Parker about a week ago and I have heard back confirmation on receive my transcript.
I used Parchment, and I got a notification that they downloaded my transcript. I accepted that as confirmation enough, so I didn't reach out.

I have some additional questions for the current students in this thread! I am a current OOS undergrad at another school that has a CVM, so I know a ton about the program here, but very little about UGA's program (my IS).

1.) Are students able to work at the VTH? If so, what is the work and scheduling like? Do students often work at the VTH over the summers or even during classes?

2.) How hands-on is UGA's curriculum, and when do you get to start building clinical skills?

3.) How much coverage is there of exotics medicine throughout the curriculum?

These are just a few of my questions that I am not able to deduce from the information available online. Any insight would be very much appreciated!

I have some additional questions for the current students in this thread! I am a current OOS undergrad at another school that has a CVM, so I know a ton about the program here, but very little about UGA's program (my IS).

1.) Are students able to work at the VTH? If so, what is the work and scheduling like? Do students often work at the VTH over the summers or even during classes?

2.) How hands-on is UGA's curriculum, and when do you get to start building clinical skills?

3.) How much coverage is there of exotics medicine throughout the curriculum?

These are just a few of my questions that I am not able to deduce from the information available online. Any insight would be very much appreciated!
Hi there!

1) So we have three primary treatment crews that allow you to work at the VTH throughout the year (small animal, large animal, and wildlife). There are some other opportunities available, but these are the most common, though there's an application process to become a part of them. Once you're in, there's a pretty reasonable time commitment- small animal treatment crew, for example, asks for 6 hours a week (4 shifts a month) and then one on call shift/month. Small animal and large animal positions are paid, pretty sure wildlife treatment crew is the only one that is not.
2) So outside of things like anatomy lab where you're hands on dissecting specimens (small animal first semester, large animal second), our first semester we also had a course called Physical Diagnosis. In this course, people were introduced to how to handle large animals (because many people in the class weren't familiar), as well as how to do basic physical exams on small & large animals (horse, cow, sheep, goat, dog, cat). So we were really hitting the ground running with getting our hands on animals. I'm only a few weeks into my second semester so can't really speak much about moving forward, but it's been a good start so far!
3) We briefly touch on exotics throughout classes like Bacteriology, etc when relevant. As far as truly focusing on it, there's a Zoo & Wildlife Medicine elective in second semester of first year for those interested. I think there are also one or two more exotics-focused electives in second year, though I cannot remember exactly what they are at the moment. Then obviously once you're into clinics you can take exotics rotations. If you're interested in exotics, I definitely recommend Wildlife Treatment Crew! They get to do a lot of hands on work with the wildlife that get brought into the VTH and because they're in the exotics department, they get to know faculty and staff over there/often get to be around for procedures and treatments on non-wildlife cases!

Hi there!

1) So we have three primary treatment crews that allow you to work at the VTH throughout the year (small animal, large animal, and wildlife). There are some other opportunities available, but these are the most common, though there's an application process to become a part of them. Once you're in, there's a pretty reasonable time commitment- small animal treatment crew, for example, asks for 6 hours a week (4 shifts a month) and then one on call shift/month. Small animal and large animal positions are paid, pretty sure wildlife treatment crew is the only one that is not.
2) So outside of things like anatomy lab where you're hands on dissecting specimens (small animal first semester, large animal second), our first semester we also had a course called Physical Diagnosis. In this course, people were introduced to how to handle large animals (because many people in the class weren't familiar), as well as how to do basic physical exams on small & large animals (horse, cow, sheep, goat, dog, cat). So we were really hitting the ground running with getting our hands on animals. I'm only a few weeks into my second semester so can't really speak much about moving forward, but it's been a good start so far!
3) We briefly touch on exotics throughout classes like Bacteriology, etc when relevant. As far as truly focusing on it, there's a Zoo & Wildlife Medicine elective in second semester of first year for those interested. I think there are also one or two more exotics-focused electives in second year, though I cannot remember exactly what they are at the moment. Then obviously once you're into clinics you can take exotics rotations. If you're interested in exotics, I definitely recommend Wildlife Treatment Crew! They get to do a lot of hands on work with the wildlife that get brought into the VTH and because they're in the exotics department, they get to know faculty and staff over there/often get to be around for procedures and treatments on non-wildlife cases!

Thank you so much! This helps a lot actually! :)

The curriculum page on UGA's website doesn't include electives as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if there is any resource that lists the elective courses offered?