UHS Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start this forum for all of us attending UHS in the fall of 2003. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted this early, and good luck to all who are still waiting. Those of you who find this forum, I will see you at the white coat ceremony. ;) John

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be seeing you in the fall. I'm so excited to going to UHS!!! :clap: Has anybody looked at apartments around UHS other than Century Towers? I'm not dissing Century Towers, I just wondered what about other options. Anyway, must return to History homework that will have little direct correlation to my profession here in 10 months or so. Good luck everybody and see you next fall.
Audrey

I wasn't personally impressed with Century Towers. I could see how they could really appeal to some people, so like you I don't want to diss them. However, I have come to be very frugal in my living conditions and just don't see a need to pay ~440 for all those bells and whistles, and yet still have to ride an elevator everyday. (mind you one that doesn't work very fast)

I plan on doing research with some of the contacts I made there, and with some of the first years, and get it figured out that way.

Who knows, I may end up in Century towers and love it. Right now, I'm open to all ideas. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be in KC tomorrow and I may end up looking at apartments in the North Kansas City area. I'll let you know if I find anything spectacularly stupendous.
Audrey

Sounds great! I know we've got plenty of time, but Lord knows I've got plenty of things to get figured out. At least the hard part is over. Did somebody say millertime? John:laugh:

Since I'm a current resident (and MSI at UHS), I'll give you my opinion about Century Towers. Yes, the elevators sometimes act up. However, the convenience of being able to walk to school in less than 5 minutes more than compensates for any inconveniences the elevators might occassionally cause. Plus, there's always the stairs.

There's also some hidden savings to consider. Since school began, I have filled my car with gas once. My insurance would also be about $200 more for a six month period if I drove everyday.

Another bonus is always having someone to study with. Anytime you want to review material with another student, just go to the 5th floor lounge.

If you're planning to live here, consider this. This building opened last summer, so me and my classmates had no problem getting a room . There were more than enough rooms. However, not too many MSII's live here, so there's not going to be nearly as many open rooms for the next class. If you want to live here, don't wait too long to act.

I agree completely with TAM.....I'm also an MS1, and we are having a blast at CT, bad elevators and all. You just can't beat the convenience of dropping back to your apt. during a break, or to change etc., not to mention not having to commute for the 8AM classes, everyday!!! It'll be tough to find a place here anyway, but if you can, I would really recommend it.

with regards

Thank you Qafas and TAM, you certainly do have a point. I'll take a good look at them again. :cool:

Hey class of 2007
Congrats to all of you on your acceptances. Isnt it a great feeling? Just wanted to give my 2 cents about the living situation. I live a little up north from campus, and I would definately recommend it. Century towers is REALLY conveinent, and there are times when i wish i could just walk home real quick. However, i only live 4 miles north of campus, a very quick ride to school, and there is something to be said for the relief of getting away from campus and the atmosphere of "medical school". youll usually be at school from 8-5, and later if you choose to study on campus. there is nothing i look forward to more sometimes then just getting away from school and relaxing away from that environment. I have windows that look out to woods, dont deal with elevators, and have a few pools to choose from when it gets warm. just wanted to throw this out there for all of you considering where to live. i think its just a matter of preference. feel free to email me if you have any questions about where to live/life at UHS. you made a great choice! youre going to be really happy here!

Dear 2007,

I hope your enthusiasm :clap: is contagious throughout your class-- you will be surprised how well you get to know each other through this site & then finally meet next year (kind-of the reverse of meeting then getting to know each other, but it works!). I made some great contacts here before orientation even began & it was comforting to know a few people when you meet 200+ the first day!!

Feel free to post questions, etc... here (or check out the 2006 thread-- many questions may be answered there!) or PM anyone specifically if you have direct concerns. For example, if you want to know more about CT (I live there too), or the Army HPSP, or clubs on campus, or whatever... feel free to drop me a line. Best of luck in all of your endeavors until Fall '03! :cool:

~Hillary Thomas
UHSCOM '06
[email protected]

I just wanted to say congratulations to those beginning the class of 2007 at UHS! I am also a first-year and am enjoying reading about the excitement you all are experiencing as you begin this step of your careers.

Regarding the living arrangements I tend to share CATs thoughts. Century Towers is great for convenience and is very similar to a dorm-type atmosphere in college from what I can gather. But, there are also MANY places nearby that offer a short commute, are comparably priced, and offer a getaway from the medical school.

I also wanted to say that the studend comraderie is excellent here at UHS and I wanted to let you know that you can email me at [email protected] if you have any questions regarding school, living arrangements, the Navy Scholarship, or anything else! Congrats again and we look forward to seeing you on campus in the fall!

Congrats 2007!
I hope you enjoy this site...I know I did! And I KNOW you'll absolutely LOVE:love: UHS! My absolute best to you....I'll be checking in on you alot. I live at CT and love it. It's a little dormy, but the comraderie and support is wonderful. Even those who don't live here come over to study sometimes.

Email me with any Q's
M.

I just wanted to add my name to the list of UHS Class of 2007. I think it is finally hitting me (a couple weeks after getting accepted) that I'm gonna be a doctor!!! :clap: I loved UHS and can't wait to attend there. Has any one read any good books about med school/medicine other than the text books? I figure I'll read them now before I have no time at all. Also, I saw something about recommending speed reading/reading comprehension books. Anyone done anything like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got in!!! Loved the school. I'm gonna use it as my basis of comparison for any schools I get interviews at in the future, but I'll probably end up choosing UHS!:D

MCWIHEA,

Congrats on your acceptance. You'll love it here. Yossarian, you too!

Try reading "Touch of Life" by Robert Fulford, D.O. I still pick it up every now and then for a little inspiration.

Good luck!
M.

I'd just like to say hello as a new member of the class of 2007! I look forward to getting to know each of you. Congrats everyone, and hopefully I'll hear from you all soon!:)

I have al question for all ofyou who have been accepted......I am interviewing at UHS on December 4th and I've heard that if you get in interview that bascially means you are accepted. Now I dont know why but I find this hard to believe.....has the admissions committee told any of you about the statistics personally? I was also looking at the scheudle for the interview day and I noticed that they are having us try on the white coats!! When I saw that I was like..WOAH, wait so they are already sizing us for the white coat ceremony?? Anyone have any info!!?? THANKS!:D

Congrats on the interview SuzyQ!!
When I interviewed most of the student ambassadors that I talked to said that between 80-90% of those interviewed were accepted. I didn't read that on the mountain of material they gave us, nor did any of the admission folk say anything about interviewed/accepted statistics. However, I don't think any of the student ambassadors would have any reason to lie. Good luck on the interview!! Have fun trying on the white coat and relax, the interview wasn't overly stressful!!

Thanks farmgirl! I just checked UHS's website and it said for the 2002 entering class they had 2000 applicants, about 550 interviews for only 225 slots.....so that would give those about a 40% of getting in......so how come the ambassadors are telling people 80-90%?? Im hoping you are right and the UHS website is wrong!!

You have a higher percentage of acceptance earlier in the cycle...The later the cycle, the lower the acceptance rate.

Suzy Q, Go to the UHS website. Click on the admissions department link on the left side of the page. Next, scroll down along the left side again till you come to the class profile link and click on that. Scroll down to the data for the class of 2001 and you will see that 89% of those interviewed, were accepted. Hope this puts you at ease. Relax, you're almost in!:)

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it!! Would you consider interviewing in December late?

Suzy--
I am a first year at UHS and also a student ambassador. I just want to give you a little insight on some of the questions you are asking.

First off, yeah, if you get an interview, you have a great chance of being accepted. When you commented on the stats from last year, you have to remember that there were probably students that were accepted and that they chose a different school.

Second, the white coat thing is pretty cool. Again, that sort of re-interates that you will probably be accepted.

Third, about interviewing in December as being late.......heck no. I interviewed in january last year and I thought I was late. Then as I was talking to some of my classmates, a good portion of them interviewed in April and some even in June. So you are one of the earlier ones.

If I can answer any other questions for you please don't hesitate to ask. You can PM me, email me (at [email protected]), or post on here.

Good luck with your interview and all your other up coming events!

Chris

Dear 2007,

I will "ditto" everything Chris posted-- the whole acceptance % is accurate if you consider they assume about half will choose to attend somewhere else.

I also liked the fact that they fit you for a white coat on your interview day-- it definitely shows you that they hope you are as serious about considering UHSCOM as they are about you by granting you an interview!

To reassure you that December ISN'T late-- I interviewed the end of February & got my acceptance March 1 (1 week later-- a great turn-around time & I was in Boston!)

Good luck to all of you interviewing sooner (or later)-- maybe you will have Chris or myself as Student Ambassadors on your tour & you can say "Hey, aren't you from SDN??" (I met at least a dozen of my current classmates here before orientation!) Tell your fellow interviewees about this site so you can know a few names (faces later) before you start classes!

I should go study for our quiz tomorrow-- enough procrastinating for me!!!:rolleyes:

Peace & contact any of us if you have questions!!

~Hillary
[email protected]

Hillary--

QUIT POSTING AND GET TO STUDYING!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :);)

Well folks the money is finally in, and I am officially going to UHS in the fall of 2003!!! I am sooo excited!! I loved UHS, and am really happy that KC is where my home will be for four years. Anybody staying at an apartment that has washers and dryers icluded in rent? Well talk to you all later and I can't wait to meet you all!!!

Vanessa

Hey all, I'll be seeing you guys the 6 of December. They scheduled my interview for the 4th which is a wendesday, but my parents by chance are going to be in KC the weekend of the 6th for the rams vs chiefs game so I wanted them to see the school. I am really torn between UHS and KCOM, the genesis program has really caught my attention.

:p

I have a question for those of you who have been accepted so far this year. How long after your interview did you know and how did they let you know (letter, phone, etc.). The reason I ask is that I just interviewed at TUCOM and their committee meets on the 14th. Their letters go out that day and I will have 2 weeks to decide from the date of the letter (If I get in that is). My UHS interview is on the 20th. If I get in to both I was hoping to be able to make the decision without having to pay two deposits.

Thanks,

WannabeDO

UHS got back to me by mail one week from interview date, but when your in a jam like I was . . . I had 4 interviews all accross the USA in less than 15 days . . . . and since UHS was my first choice, I needed to know soon. I called the comittee and they were kind enough to tell me over the phone. I cancelled all other inteviews and all was well. I recieved my "official" letter a few short days later. Total time: 5 days post interview. Good luck, John

Originally posted by jbear
UHS got back to me by mail one week from interview date, but when your in a jam like I was . . . I had 4 interviews all accross the USA in less than 15 days . . . . and since UHS was my first choice, I needed to know soon. I called the comittee and they were kind enough to tell me over the phone. I cancelled all other inteviews and all was well. I recieved my "official" letter a few short days later. Total time: 5 days post interview. Good luck, John

So are they cool with you calling? Did they give you any indication of this when you interviewed? I just don't want to come off as pushy.

Thanks,

WannabeDO

I called...They didn't hesitate letting me know I was accepted!!

I was concerned of being a bit pushy as well and really tried to cushion my conversation with appreciation. However, they insured me that this occures all the time, and that calling is not abnormal. Just give them a quick sentence or two about your situation, and they'll be glad to help you out.

John

Cool, thanks for the insight. Now all I have to do is get into the two schools;)

WannabeDO

...and to the top. Come on now, we can't be scraping the bottom of page quite yet. Hope everyone is still as geared up and excitied as I am. Come on August...:)

I have an interview on Dec 11th, but thats finals week for us here. Is it considered bad form to call and see if it is ok to move the interview foreward?

I think they expect those things. My freind changed his interview date and was accepted. As long as you articulate your situation, I'm sure you'll be fine.

- freind -

i before e . . . except after c. "I know, I know . . 25 years you'd think I'd get it by now. :) :rolleyes:

I am having a problem finding a job for my husband in Kansas city. He will be a new grad with a degree in marketing after he graduates in May with me. All of the jobs we found in job searches are requiring 3-5 years experience in Marketing! What is a new grad supposed to do when they don't have time to do an internship because we need money!!! Anybody out there who has already found a job for their partner and in the same situation? I need advice!! There has to be a job out there that pays more than mcdonald's, but doesn't need experience. I wish we were still living in a time when Bachelor's degree meant something!!!!:mad:

Vanessa

Originally posted by Docgeorge
I have an interview on Dec 11th, but thats finals week for us here. Is it considered bad form to call and see if it is ok to move the interview foreward?

This is usually ok, but keep in mind. Interviews before Christmas are good, interviews after Christmas are better than a sharp stick in the eye, but you have lower chances of getting in regardless of your stats. I would personally try to take my finals early or postpone them in some way (all depends on your prof.).

Good luck Docgeorge,

WannabeDO

F^*K it I'm going to the interview.

Originally posted by Docgeorge
F^*K it I'm going to the interview.

Good Decision, After all, if you get in, you just need Cs :laugh: :D

btw, I posted those match results in the other forum.

Bump...

I am awaiting notification on whether I'm in. If I get in, I will be attending UHS in the fall. My question for you fine people is this:

Where are you planning on living? The following is purely hypothethical, just testing the waters. I will probably be selling my home here and buying something out there. For the first year, my wife will most likely stay with family in CA to finish her BA. Would anyone be interested in possibly sharing my hypothetical 3bed/2ba house for our MSI year? I toured the greater KC metro area with a realtor and will probably be looking for something in the Parkville (Park Hill school district) area. Sorry ladies, but I think my wife will only entertain the idea of male roommates. Also, I think with the current interest rates I would be able to match or beat most apartment rental rates in the area.

WannabeDO

I called their 1-800 number and asked to speak to someone in admissions...and they told me!

YEAH WANNABE!

CONGRATS to you & all the others!!

I hope we'll see you in the Fall-- good luck until then!

Peace,
DrH

Hey guys, i'm new here....well first time posting at least. I also have an interview on December 11th...my first. I'm really excited/nervous. I've heard really good things about this school, and everyone that goes there has only had positive things to say. Wish me luck on my big day. :) And congrats to all of you that have gotten in already!! Anyone that interviews on Dec. 11th, i'll see you there. :)

Hi all,

Well, now that I've been accepted and have decided to attend UHS, I wanted to see if I could kickstart this board a bit! I was a bit curious of the other SDNers who've been accepted to and will attend UHS. Where are you from, etc?

My name is Russell and I'm from California. I've been married for five and a half years. I have a 6 year old step-daughter (soon to be adopted) and a 1 year old daughter.

Your turn!

Thanks,

Russell

hi there guys...well I hope to be in UHS 2007...but unfortunately i have been kicked into the damn "qualified pool" Im working very diligently at getting out...but so far no luck...I have a letter of rec. coming from a very prestigious and recent alumni, and I am getting ready to sit and write a letter of intent...any suggestions as to what to include...without sounding pathetic? I visited UHS for an open house and man was it impressive, I cannot imagine going anywhere else!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hello Russell,
My name is Audrey and I'm from a small town in Missouri south of Kansas City. I'm currently counting down the days to medical school at Truman State University in Kirksville. (Usually I have to explain where that is, but I have a feeling most people know where Kirksville is);) I'll be graduating in May and getting married in June. Anywho, enough about me. How about some of the other 2007 UHSers.

Audrey