UHS Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
She is not an SDN'er (dont likeee the computer so much) but she does get on some time and browse through here. She will be in the class of 2007. She's the smart half of the relationship, and I'm the pretty one.

Members don't see this ad.

Dohh!! I just realized something, if she see's this post I'm toast. She likes to think she's the smart and the pretty half. Which is perfectly fine by me I got my self a gorgeouse smart gal who agreed to marry me.:clap: :clap: :clap: :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Russell:

Regarding North KC. Everyday I listen to the traffic report and almost every week they have a big pile up on Paseo Parkway, which is the very same exit you need to take to get to UHS (and keep in mind the ice/sleet/snow season hasn't even started yet). Plus you have to deal with the bridge. Any wrecks on the bridge keeps things backed up forever. Unlike Calif. there aren't any alternate freeway systems. The unfortunate part about living north is since you are separted by a river, you can't exactly take back roads to get to school. So if there is a pile-up (and with the ice season every year you can probably count on it) you will have to deal with this aspect. On the other hand, if you choose to live south, there are alternate routes if 35 north has a pile up. I was looking at moving north, but changed my mind because it isn't worth being late for a morning exam on account of traffic.
And speaking of which, KC traffic is nothing like SF, but I am sure you already knew that, it's just that by living north you will have to deal with bridge traffic, ice, and no alternate routes close by.
Also I hear some students live north of interstate 435, I think that is where the Bennington Ridge apartments are. Perhaps this commute is okay. I just wouldn't choose to live off I-35 north of the river.

Hey guys,
I just called a little while ago and found out that I got into UHS. I'm really excited it was my first interview and my first acceptance. :) Plus the school was really great!!
jenny

Docgeorge, keep your spirits up....you're sure keeping us laughing. :laugh: You are at the top of the list, so the chances are good!!!

Suzie and Jenny, congratulations!!!! :clap:
I hope you choose UHS.

Mindy

Hey guys, I just Got into DMU. I talked to Darci (my fiancee) and I'm going to DMU even if I get into UHS. I just felt like I belonged there. She supports my decicion 100% she said that that's the she felt about UHS.

Hope you guys dont mind me popping my head in here from time to time. I do have a vested interest in whats going on at UHS you know.:p :p :p

Originally posted by Docgeorge
Hey guys, I just Got into DMU. I talked to Darci (my fiancee) and I'm going to DMU even if I get into UHS. I just felt like I belonged there. She supports my decicion 100% she said that that's the she felt about UHS.

Hope you guys dont mind me popping my head in here from time to time. I do have a vested interest in whats going on at UHS you know.:p :p :p

Congrats on DMU! You won't be that far from her. Hey, we'll probably meet at some point in time. You're bound to come visit KC every once in a while.

Russell

Thanks Russell. Yeah, it's about 2.5 hours, we figure each of us could make that trip once a month. If we do that we can see each other once every other weekend. We could deal with that.

Hey!! I am new to the SDN Forums. I interviewed at UHS and was accepted. So I will see you all this Aug. I am 25 y/o, male from Tampa, FL. Grad of the University of South Florida, Athletic Training/Sports Med. Program. I can't wait to start medical school, after a short break/vacation.

See you all soon!!!

Hi all,

Does anyone have the address and name of the person to whom I should send my deposit? My uncle is going to lend me the money and since he lives in Colorado, I was going to have him send the check directly instead of sending it to me first. I'm at work right now (I don't have the info with me) and wanted to get him the address asap.

Oh, and do you think that there is a problem with sending both deposits right now? or should I hold off until march for the other?

Muchas Gracias,

Russell

The University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine
1750 Independence Ave
Kansas City, MO 64106-9837

I think that they would love to have all $2000 this early! It is all going to the tuition anyway.

Later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

Is anyone famliar with scholarships that are available at UHS? If you do can you please tell me the amount and qualifications required. Do they include the amount of the scholarship in the aceptance letter. I am yet to recieve my letter because I am on vacation in Europe right now but I called UHS and I was informed of my aceptance. Does anyone here have a scholarship from UHS or know anyone that has it?

I will really appreciate responses. Thanks

Well everyone, my deposit is on its way, so If I wasn't before, I'll soon be an oficial member of the class of 2007.

Hasta luego amigos,

Russell

Hey all!!

I have some new apartment possibilities that I wanted to share with you and see what you think.

University Towers-Downtown-one bedroom $650/month (all utilities included, even broadband internet!!)

Pinnacle apartments Downtown- a little cheaper pretty much same amenities.

Any input or advice would be great!!!

Also bennington ridge will allow you to get on the moving list for a deposit of $75 dollars and no application fee! They only do this for UHS students. Everyone alse has to pay $250 deposit and $35 application fee. Also they said that if you found something you liked better, then you could get your money back!!

Well talk to you all soon!!

Vanessa

Can anyone please tell me what the first year schedule is like. I mean the amount of hours you spent in lectures and the time you spend studying.

What time does class typically starts and when does it ends?

Thanks for you help

UHS07

Classes go from 8-12 m-f, labs vary. Here's my understanding: if your last name is low in the alphabet, then it is likely that your labs will be very soon after lunch. But if your name falls towards the end of the alphabet then you may have late labs. For a better answer you might want to post in the UHS Class of 2006 thread.

Russell

We're out here. I know I'm personaly marking time at this job of mine before I head up to help my father at our lodge this summer. I'm so excited about starting medschool that the next 8 months seem like forever, but on the other hand I guess I'm glad for the time so I can get things in order. After the new year I'll be heading to KC to check things out in terms of housing. In the meantime I'll be reading about you all and all the the new acceptee's. Wishing you all a happy new year . . .

John

Russell,
I think that they all went home for Christmas. To anybody who happens across this (you too Russell) Merry Chirstmas and a Happy New Year

*****Bump******

Happy New Year All!!!:clap: :clap:

I hope all of your celebrations were safe and fun!

I rung in the new year with my wife, daughters, and parents in Disneyland. It was a madhouse, but very fun. 99,000 people in that one park, it was insane!

I must sleep now!

Russell

Hey everybody!

I turned 21 on Jan. 1, 2003!! I celebrated in lake tahoe and actually got a blackjack on my fist hand ever of black jack!

Gotta go

Vanessa
Happy new year

Damn Vanessa, you're making me feel old and I don't even qualify as a non-traditional. I never thought I'd be going to med school with anyone born in the eighties :laugh:

Nevertheless, happy birthday, and happy new year as well.

See ya!

Russell

Russell,

Well you know that you have to have some young hip kid in medical school to keep things cool!!:D :p Just kidding. I just knew what I wanted to do with my life since I was oh, say about 4 years old. I have been working my but off ever since. I look forward to attending school with a wide range of people with different ages and backgrounds. I can learn from you all just as you all can learn from me. Well thanks for the birthday wishes and I will see you in a few months maybe. You will recognize because I will be the one in diapers with a rattle in my hand:laugh: :D

Vanessa

Well, I do have a former classmate who beats you by a few years. She is a MS 1 somewhere in Virginia I think. She was 14 years old at commencement last year. I wonder if she'll even be able to practice when she graduates. (Don't you have to be 21 to practice medicine?)

Russell

Hi there guys...that dreaded time of writing a letter of intent to UHS has come for me!!!! UHS is by far my first choice, and I still have not heard anything about an interview...i recently got a job in the ER of a major hospital, and its time for me to update my file, and plead my case...any suggestions on how to go about that, how to do so without sounding cheezy!!! The first reason that interested me in UHS was the genesis curricula, so that is my main focus...but any other suggestions on the flow, or who to address it to? Thanks in advance!

Address your letter to the director of admissions. Be honest and sincere. Tell them why you want to go to UHS and how your application has changed (if at all) since it has been complete at UHS. Otherwise, cross your fingers.

Good luck,

Russell

Well, I'm officially official. I just received the package with my receipt for the deposit and I was assigned Dr. Alderman as my faculty advisor.

I can't explain how excited (and scared) I am for this next chapter of my life to unfold. I am excited that I will be doing this, it has been my dream for as long as I can remember. But I will also miss a year of my kids lives, and, frankly, that scares me. I can't imagine being without my other half for a year.

Argh! what have I done???

Russell

Russell,
A few brief, and hopefully comforting words...

Look at my quote, and keep it in mind as you are going through this process.

Good luck!
M.:)
UHS Class of 2006

Yeah, I've read it and made note already. We are going to do everything to bridge the geographical difference. My wife will take videos and send them to me, and we will have webcams at both ends so I can say goodnight to her and the kids every day. Doesn't make it any easier, though. I will be spending a lot of time with them this year.

Russell

Are there any health clubs close to campus? I'm really stoked at having the weight room, but I really need a swimming pool for cardio.

North Kansas City Community Center is really nice. It has an aquatic center and climbing wall. About 28 bucks a month, no membership fee, 3 miles from school.

wannabedo...i pmed you for a little advice:confused:

Nope, anyone can join the NKC club.

Yeah, I found their website. $29 a month for non residents. 25 if you pay the whole year in advance.

I called a DO's office and I was told that the cost of Hepatitis B shot is $96 and I have to pay $70 for visit. I am assuming that I will have to pay $70 each time I go back to get the last two parts of the shot.

I have no health insurance

Where can I go to get it done for $50?

I will appreciate you response(S)

If you work or volunteer at medical facility you can most likely have the facility administer the vaccine for free. If not you may want to check the county or state health departments fees. One last place, if you shadowed a physician, D.O. or M.D., call them and explain the situation and offer to pay for the vaccine itself. They may vaccinate you for free. Good luck.

I'd call your local health department. Also check with any local university esp. your alma mater. They may offer to give you the vaccine for cost. Otherwise, chalk it up to one of the many fees of med school. You will need to get insurance before you matriculate. Maybe now is the time to sign up.

Good luck,

Russell

Hi,

Can you please tell me the UHS rotations sites and the approximate number of UHS student at each site? Which is the best? I know of POH in Pontiac Michigan.

Hey UHS07, check out the medcon page for more info on uhs clerkships (or post your question as a separate thread in the Osteopathic forum.

Russell

About rotations...
The number of spots will change from year to year. I think it depends on the amount of funding each medical facility will receive. So they might have 8 spots at a location one year and only 4 the next year.
The locations have pretty much stayed the same. UHS will drop a location if they receive negative feedback from students already rotating at a location. I understand they are looking into the possibility of finding some California rotations for next year, but it is still to early to know.
In the admin building on the 2nd floor you can browse through these rotation binders, which I guess gives info about sites. I haven't looked through these binders yet, since I am only in my first year and the best feedback you will get is from other students anyway.

Here is the link to the rotation sites. It is a couple of years old, but still pretty current.

http://www.uhs.edu/academics/cce/coresites.asp

Hope it helps.

Hey I just got accepted to UHS and it is definitely where I am going to go to school. I am going to enjoy my last semester here in Texas and I look forward to this August. I am from Wichita so KC isn't to far from home for me.

Does anybody know how many family members we can invite to the white coat ceremony? My family is huge and are all dying to come. Any info would be great!!

Also, now that there are a few more of us:)

Where does everyone plan on living?

I wish I could do what russell is doing, but don't have the cash:(

Anyway, look forward to meeting you all and have a good day!

Vanessa

Originally posted by kappapiomega
Does anybody know how many family members we can invite to the white coat ceremony? My family is huge and are all dying to come. Any info would be great!!

Yeah, I hadn't even thought of that. I was planning on having my wife, my kids, and my parents. Didn't know there would be a limit??

Originally posted by kappapiomega

Also, now that there are a few more of us:)

Where does everyone plan on living?

I wish I could do what russell is doing, but don't have the cash:(

Yeah, I'm glad my parents have the means by which to help. Really all you need is the down payment. If you have family that wants to make an investment, that's what it is in my case. I feel its easier to pay my parents rent then padding someone else's wallet. And with a family, I don't have much of an other option. The rental market for houses seems to be pretty inflated in the area (when compared to apartments). The offer stands, if there are any guys who want to live in a house, let me know a little about you. I will be looking for two roommates for the first year only. Pets will be welcome, I'll have my dog and cat.