UHS rotation sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO/MBA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which rotation sites are best to do for surgery in your third year. I want 1 on 1 with the attending in surgery (first assist) so that I can look good when I go to do my fourth year elective. The ones that I am interested in are Mesa AZ, Jefferson City, MO and Las Vegas, NV, but I am open to anything. Suggestions????

Members don't see this ad.

Mesa site sucks! Really, it is aweful.
Jeff city...I heard it was ok, but it is not much of a teaching hospital.

YOU SHOULD GO WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO APPLY FOR RESIDENCY! Say it once, say it again.
It gives you a head start.
The best osteopathic teaching hospitals are in Mich, Ohio, and east coast. And a good thing for you is that Gen surg isn't as competative like it used to be.

Thanks freeeedom, I have one problem though, the places that I want to do a residency at is not an option from the sites to choose from (I'm sure you know this all too well). Also, GET THIS I just found out today that Dr. B might pull both the Jeff City and the Ohio sites. So what I am hoping to do is grab a one on one type hospital for the first year (which rules out Michigan I think, give me your opinion) so that I can do a rotation in my fourth year at the site I want to go to get my residency and hopefully impress them. What do you think I should do? (You've been there done that)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wonderful question.
What you first should do is look at the student reviews for the hospitals at the school and email the students that have rotated there.
One thing I NEED TO EMPHASIZE...If you are planning on doing surgery or EM or IM or vitually anything else, you should rotate at a facility with RESIDENTS and INTERNS! This is a must! You need to learn how residents work, and what they need to know to succeed...and the best person to ask is a RESIDENT. Dude, they were JUST in your shoes...they know what you need to do! (example, in the "House of God" or the cheap rip off tv show "Scrubs", who is the best form of info...the resident.)
Residents will give you hints, they will give you pointers and best of all, they will make mistakes too. That allows you to relax, and judge your level of developement.

Also, one must give up the idea that "rural hospitals allow students to do more". Good teaching hospitals are just that, teaching hospitals!
Choose a med-large site (200-500 beds) and get a feel of it all. Otherwise you MAY enter your 4th year with very little working knowledge of how "the great residency machine" operates, and how/what to expect from residents.
(Usually I add sarcasm to my posts...but I will hold off for you)
Michigan sites are always solid, and so are many east coast sites. The Fla sites are "iffy" from what I hear.
good luck.

Thanks man you've been great. I'm going to try for one of the Michigan sites.