UIC Acceptance for 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does any one know if the difference in tuition for in-state residents and out of state residents apply to foreign trained dentists?..i.e advanced standing program?........
I think it would be the same.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I received the acceptance letter from UIC today by regular mail and can finally breathe a sigh of relief. I didn't quite believe it until I saw it in black and white! I just wanted to say a huge thankyou to everyone on sdn for all your help. It has been tough year and a half but it helped to know that I wasn't the only one going through it. Congratulations to all those who have been accepted to UIC and other schools and good luck to all those who are waiting.

NEVER GIVE UP!

I just wanted to share my story to give some encouragement to those who are still trying to get into a program here. I initially took my part 1 last year and scored an 85. After reading posts on this forum and being rejected by four schools last year without interview, I realised that my chances of getting into a school with such a average score was very low.

I decided to retake the exam and improve my application in other ways. I was very disheartened to only improve my score by 1 mark to an 86. I thought I'd never get into an advanced standing program but I didn't give up. I applied to every school that would allow me to! I also gave up my job as an ortho assistant and found another at a general practice. I also improved my personal statement which I think was the most important thing that I did. The result...5 interview calls. I know this doesn't sound like much if I applied everywhere but with a score of 86, I thought I'd be lucky to get even one! By the way ECE only gave me a GPA of 2.52!

The point that I'm trying to make is that even though stats are important, many schools look beyond scores (thankfully). So to all those who have average stats like me, improve them if you can but don't forget to improve your entire application as a whole too. Work experience, solid recommendation letters and a good personal statement are all equally important. Try to also keep up your hand skills by practicing on typhodonts if you can even before getting interviews. This really helps to prepare for schools who have bench exams. Also try and read american textbooks on restorative dentistry so that you are prepared to answer clinical questions and do not forget the terminology.

The main thing is to never give up hope, Hard work and Faith will get you everywhere!

Good luck!:luck:

hello friends,
count me in the list of accepted at uic. i got my acceptance today and am sooooooooooo happy, i couldnt believe for a few moments that i atlast got an acceptance from somewhere. my long struggle is over and i couldnt have reached here without the help from friends at sdn. to all those who r still waiting do not loose hope and keep trying. i got rejection and waitlisted from few schools but i didnt give up. best wishes to all.:) :) :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats good luck!!!!welcome to the UIC club!!!!

so the UIC list goes:
wisedent
lavender
stelon
aman_g
dibbles
anvi
cattooth
drchai
goodluck
jasmine_dentist
godbless
opted out(g3k, joy2006)waitlisted(drpatell)
guys keep posting here...........

hello friends,
count me in the list of accepted at uic. i got my acceptance today and am sooooooooooo happy, i couldnt believe for a few moments that i atlast got an acceptance from somewhere. my long struggle is over and i couldnt have reached here without the help from friends at sdn. to all those who r still waiting do not loose hope and keep trying. i got rejection and waitlisted from few schools but i didnt give up. best wishes to all.:) :) :) :) :)
Hi goodluck congratulations to you.

HI Dibbles, you have worked very hard. it is really an admirable story for everyone who lose hope of dentistry in US. We all have struggled here and now we got the acceptance. Acceptance after a long struggled face is much more delighted.

Hi,
i congratulate all who got accepted at UIC.. finally our hard work got payed off. So we are going to be class mates nextyear. Let us keep in touch and help others who are trying to get in some school as we know this journey is not that cool.. I am very happy for u all and thank god and your families for their support during our struggle.:)

Hi Dibble,
I received the letter too.
Thanks for your encourageing post. Well said. Nothing comes easy in today's world, especially in US, we hv to work extremly hard to stay on top of the curve.

Have a wonderful holiday, and see u all in May, next year!

anyone looking for any housing yet for chicago????on campus or off campus???? what options do we have?

Hey congrats for the acceptance at UIC
I got accepted at UIC for 2007.
Thanks to SDN for the tremendous amount of information and support.
My good luck and best wishes to all who are trying for the next year.

Getting an admission is not easy but hard work and patience would defenitly help.
I just wish to share my experience with you all.
Its my second attempt.
Last year i got accepted at NYU. waitlisted at Boston,Buffallo,Minnesota &
UIC.
I was sad and mad .knocked at all the doors possible. Lots of frustrations.But there is a time for everything. I badly wanted to get in to a 2 year program and UIC was my first preference as i live in chicago.
Studentdoctor sometimes helped me and sometimes it made me more frustrated.I am just writing my experience hoping it may help some of you.

My stats part 1- 89, part 2- 77,GPA 3.75(wes) 3.06(ECE) Toefl- 257
took dental hygiene license of florida. attended dental society's meetings,took a certification in managed care.and worked as dental assistant for some time.

I got accepted to a fellowship program in maxillofacial prosthetics at UIC last year . It was like a small light in darkness.So i decided to defer my admission at NYU for next year and try again at UIC this year.

I applied only to UIC this year and BY God's grace i got in and i am happy.

My advice to those who are trying is to never loose hope. I had times when i lost it but my faith in God and family's support helped me a lot. Keep trying. Never forget that patience is a virtue. Do everything possible and knock at every door. YOu never know which one is gonna open for you. My acceptance to the fellowship program was a miracle. so try for other programs too while waiting. above all trust in God.

I have gone through this struggle and so i am happy to help anybody to whom i can be of some help.wish you all good luck.

Love wisedent.:)

Hi,
I received a letter( I think who ever got accepted they received the letter) from UIC to pay $5000 to reserve the seat.So, will that $5000 be included in the tution or not?

Hi,
I received a letter( I think who ever got accepted they received the letter) from UIC to pay $5000 to reserve the seat.So, will that $5000 be included in the tution or not?

hi,
i dunt think so, but probably u cud ask jill........

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

HI anvi, Congarts for your acceptance.Definitely this $5000 will be counted towards your tution fee.Good luck.:laugh: :thumbup:

Thankyou everyone for your kind words,

I have decided to decline my offer at UIC as I have been accepted to the program at UTHSCSA. I shall notify Jill of my decision tommorow so one more person shall be receiving an acceptance soon! Good luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

Congratulations for your decision, we will miss you. and Good luck to waitlisters. keep your finger crossed.

Thanks Stelon,

I shall miss never meeting you guys too! I am just happy that someone else will now get in! Good luck waitlisters!

Hey UIC batchmates, wish you a very a Happy New Year in advance.

hi guys,
all those accepted at UIC, what are our options for housing?has anyone compared the oncampus and offcampus living and made any decisions yet???

Hi everybody,

I got in too!!!!!!!!! I was on the waiting list and I got the letter of acceptance on Saturday. I am so happy I still don't believe that it's true.
Let's keep in touch and see you all in May:)

congrats jasmine..... i am so happy to hear about yu.. what was your waitlist number?

congrats jasmine_dentist ,good luck!!!!welcome to the UIC club!!!!

so the UIC list goes:
wisedent
lavender
stelon
aman_g
anvi
cattooth
drchai
goodluck
jasmine_dentist
godbless
opted out(g3k, joy2006,dibbles,)waitlisted(drpatell)
guys keep posting here...........

:thumbup:
Hi everybody,

I got in too!!!!!!!!! I was on the waiting list and I got the letter of acceptance on Saturday. I am so happy I still don't believe that it's true.

hey jasmin dentist,
congratulations !!!:thumbup: u did it.....
could u please post ur stats here ,if u dont mind and share ur experience
and how many were there on the uic waiting list.

Hi everybody,

Hi jasmin_dentist, congratulations for acceptance. welcome to UIC club. so far 10 sdn members are accepted, but i have heard that 19 people are already selected. So goodluck to waitlisters.

Anyone looking for a female room mate? Please let me know.
Anvi

Hi guys,
I have a question about the documents they ask for in the acceptance letter. It says that they need the official diploma that must be submitted in signed/sealed envelope from the university, but I already have the original Diploma on me, I got it when I graduated from the Dental School in my country and nobody is gonna give me one more over there.
So guys I am very confused. I tried to call Jill but they will be closed till Jan 2nd.
Please reply to me if have some more information.:)

Thanks.

Hi guys,
I have a question about the documents they ask for in the acceptance letter. It says that they need the official diploma that must be submitted in signed/sealed envelope from the university, but I already have the original Diploma on me, I got it when I graduated from the Dental School in my country and nobody is gonna give me one more over there.
So guys I am very confused. I tried to call Jill but they will be closed till Jan 2nd.
Please reply to me if have some more information.:)

Thanks.
Hi jasmin dentist
About the official diploma, you have to inquire your home country university. they will give you official copy in sealed envelope by paying some fees. It says official copy, but actually in my case, university have just written the official letter that i have graduated and awarded dental degree with stamp of university. so nothing to worry about the document. only thing is it takes time to get the official copy from university. But i had asked jill once about the deadline of documents, she told that they can extend the deadline upon request. if you have any questions just pm me.

Thank you Stelon for you quick reply. I need to contact my school after holidays and see how it works.:)

Congratulations Jasmin_dentist,

See, I knew you would get in!!! ;) I am very happy for you...good luck with your career.

Hi everybody,

Thank you Dibbles. Good luck to you either.

Wish you all the best in New Year:)

hi ,
all those accepted at UIC, anyone decided for oncampus or offcampus housing yet??? those already in the program or living in chicago could tell if their oncampus housing is good, if single room accomodation is readliy available or not???any other input abt housing in chicago or the city will be welcome.........

Congratulations and best wishes to everyone who got accepted at UIC. I was wondering if anyone knows as to what states other than Illinois is the DDS degree from UIC approved for licensure? I'm especially interested in knowing if it is approved in CA, TX or FL?
I would sincerely appreciate your response.
Thanks..

Congratulations and best wishes to everyone who got accepted at UIC. I was wondering if anyone knows as to what states other than Illinois is the DDS degree from UIC approved for licensure? I'm especially interested in knowing if it is approved in CA, TX or FL?
I would sincerely appreciate your response.
Thanks..
Hi ekankur, DDS is a degree to practice anywhere in us, to get licensure you need to take licensure exam like NERB, WREB, California board license exam. once you pass license exam, your DDS degree of UIC will be approved in that particular states.